"South Park" Season 16 Talkback (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JME2
Emperor's Hand

"South Park" Season 16 Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

So, did anyone catch last night's season premiere?

Honestly, I thought it was weak. There were a couple of funny bits (I was dying at Cartman's 'security breach' and the 'sue-ance') but overall, it was disappointing.

True, TSA jokes are nothing new, but it almost felt like an episode that had been written years ago, then shelved until they needed it.
Last edited by JME2 on 2012-03-15 09:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aniron
Padawan Learner

Re: "South Park" Season 16 Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by Aniron »

They create episodes in six days. How much creativity do they have when they can be that lazy and wait until the last minute?

Anyway, I too thought it was weak. None of the jokes felt fresh. As you noted, the TSA jokes were outdated. They had some great episodes last seasoned, but once again they fell back to tradition and phoned it in.
So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Aren't they still making that RPG anyway? I'd kind of expect the show to suck as long as Parker and Stone are dumping ideas into that instead.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Dude Clyde giving his dead mom the finger sealed it as greatness for me.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Aren't they still making that RPG anyway? I'd kind of expect the show to suck as long as Parker and Stone are dumping ideas into that instead.
Good point; I'd forgotten about the game.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

It had its moments.

I wasn't a fan of the drawn-out scene of the fat guy masturbating (though the sound effects were pretty funny).

I definitely felt that they only made that episode because one of their girlfriends (wives?) complained to them about leaving the toilet seat up a couple of days before.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Flagg wrote:Dude Clyde giving his dead mom the finger sealed it as greatness for me.
Yeah, I laughed a little through the episode but that end scene just cracked me up.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

My favorite was the TSA lady wiping Gerald Broflovski's ass, and him saying "I made a big boy poop!" That cracked me up. Oh, and as always, Butters remains consistently funny. In all, a decent episode, but nothing spectacular.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that "Cash for Gold" airs tonight. The synopsis is as follows:

Cartman launches a gemstones network show and creates a very lucrative business. Stan searches for the real value of a piece of jewelry that was a gift from his Grandpa. Meanwhile, Cartman's lucrative new business preys upon an extremely vulnerable clientele.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Tonight was by far my least favorite episode of South Park ever. Honestly, what the fuck was the point of all that? The only funny part was Cartman, and later Stan's grandpa, calling the bolo tie "fucking gay." Besides that, there wasn't a single funny moment.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

ah damn I was hoping this second episode would be funnier; still got one more hour till that episode airs
Needs moar dakka
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I thought that was fucking great. :lol:

Though I do wonder if they're playing on Denver humor again. I mean I just assumed those god damn "cash 4 gold" places with the poor schmucks they hire to dance and flip around on street corners with the signs were a nation-wide phenomenon reacting to the economy, but maybe it's more prevalent in Denver? I don't know.

Stan's "kill yourself" bit was pretty good, and of course the inevitable South Park-style absurd follow-through.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Its not just that; it seems at least to me there are more "cash 4 gold" commercials on TV than before. And I have to disagree with Ziggy, I thought the episode was pretty funny; esp Cartman's attempts to make some quick cash. That scene where he tries to sell the ring pop.
Needs moar dakka
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

What was funny about it? They only had one joke, which they kept repeating throughout the entire episode. Literally nothing fucking happened.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:What was funny about it? They only had one joke, which they kept repeating throughout the entire episode. Literally nothing fucking happened.
The satire of cash-for-gold places; the satire of sign-waving street dancers; the satire of home shopping networks; the bolo tie vis-a-vis school-age culture; the juxtaposition of the incessant suicide demands with afore-mentioned home shopping network satire; general schadenfreude vis-a-vis old people.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yeah it was a great one.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Oh man, I just lost it at the part where the gold and jewelry travels back and forth from India and the US. A lot of South Park episodes lately have been lacking but this one was pretty good.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Pretty good. There have been better ones but also worse ones. I still laughed, which is the point of it really.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The B-plot with Cartman was pretty good and the Host offing himself at the end was great morbid humor/payoff.

The rest, especially Act 1...not so much. I think this one hit too close to home for me.

While my grandfather doesn't have Alzheimer's, there were too many parallels between his current status and the trouble faced by Marvin Marsh' and the other senior citizens and I wasn't laughing at all. I nearly turned it off because I got really uncomfortable.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that "Faith Hilling" airs tonight:

Mankind's evolution begins to accelerate at a rapid and disturbing pace. Concurrently, another species on the planet is exhibiting the same drastic development. Eventually the two species will battle to the death and "Faith Hilling" may be humanity's only hope.[
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Despite a few funny bits, I wasn't feeling last night. That's three weeks in a row now.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

This was my favorite of the season, so far.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that "Jewpacabra" airs tonight:

South Park's big Easter egg hunt is in jeopardy when there are rumors of a dangerous beast lurking in the woods nearby. Cartman tries to warn everyone that their lives are at risk if they participate in the egg hunt. No one believes him until he produces video evidence of the mysterious being.

This might actually be pretty funny, though it'll be hard-pressed to top "Fantastic Easter Special".
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, it wasn't bad. A few bits fell flat, but this is still the best episode of the season. I love how Stone and Parker modified lyrics from "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" for Cartman's worried singing.

I am curious how long Cartman's conversion to Judaism is going to last.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I really enjoyed this episode both because of the flashback, the song and the fact Cartman is temporary Jewish

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton