Your favorite fictional detective(s) (series)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Your favorite fictional detective(s) (series)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

My favourite is Sherlock Holmes. I spent a lot of time reading Sherlock Holmes stories as a teenager.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Taggart, the original one played by the late Mark McManus.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Doctor Who. Only because I have been watching it recently.

Oh, and one more thing... Colombo. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

First of all, I must point out that the character's name is "The Doctor", not Doctor Who. Its a common mistake.

However, while I don't normally think of him as a detective, he actually is a really good example. Though his conflicts are often on a larger scale than normal detective work (ie stopping apocalypses). But that's true of Dresden as well, and Batman sometimes too, and they're both mentioned here.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:First of all, I must point out that the character's name is "The Doctor", not Doctor Who. Its a common mistake.
Don't patronize me jack ass. I know what his name is. It's the name of the show. Hence watching IT recently, not watching him recently.

Oh, and one more thing... Jack ass. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Not patronizing. Merely politely pointing out what I thought was an error. As it turns out, you are correct, so I retract my previous comment.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Not patronizing. Merely politely pointing out what I thought was an error. As it turns out, you are correct, so I retract my previous comment.
Geez dude, lighten up.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Colombo is partially inspired by the detective in crime and punishment
Wikipedia wrote:Porfiry Petrovich (Порфирий Петрович) – The detective in charge of solving the murders of Lizaveta and Alyona Ivanovna, who, along with Sonya, move Raskolnikov towards confession. Unlike Sonya, however, Porfiry does this through psychological games. Despite the lack of evidence, he becomes certain Raskolnikov is the murderer following several conversations with him, but gives him the chance to confess voluntarily. He attempts to confuse and to provoke the unstable Raskolnikov in an attempt to coerce him to confess.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

I enjoy Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe primarily. I have recently gotten into Father Brown recently. It's not overly preachy from what I've seen so far, even though I know this series was Chesterton's witnessing of his new-found faith. When I was a kid, I also watched the Father Dowling Mysteries. They were okay for TV fare, but there was something compelling of Tom Bosley as a priest-detective.
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

If you like Holmes, the Cyrus Barker / Llewelyen series are pretty good reads.

Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes is also a pretty sweet mystery television miniseries. The premise is a young Arthur Doyle (Watson-like) in medical school paired up with his medical professor Dr. Bell (Holmes-like). It was only four or so episodes but is highly entertaining. A little heavier on the forensics than the classic stories.