NFL 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: NFL 2012

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I don't think they really had to compete with the college teams, but when your franchises all time best players might just be Mark Brunell, Tony Boselli, and an over the hill Natrone Means you really just can't build a legacy.

They would have sold out every game if they had drafted Tebow, but I don't think Timmah wanted to go there because he knew he wasn't going to get taken seriously going 3-13 with the Jags when he can just wait for the inevitable falling out between Sanchez and the Jets and inherit a team with a defense and running that could get him in that 7-8 win range.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, endorsement deals are much easier to come by in New York. Heck, Sanchez, for all his mediocrity, got Pepsi.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Ask me four years ago what I'd think about having Vince Young, Mario Williams and Shawn Merriman on my team, and I'd have told you Marv Levy was the greatest football mind in the world. Funnier because as of right now I wouldn't hire Marv Levy to run an ice cream truck.

The VY move is nothing but potential profit, as the FO has left plenty of time to find out whether his head's really on straight, or whether he just trained up for the interview. Fitz was doing fine until London Fletcher broke his ribs in the 23-0 wipeout in Toronto...and the organization decided that broken ribs Fitzpatrick was better than Tyler Thigpen. A decision nobody can really argue with. So down the depth chart, either Brad Smith gets cut/more reps at WR and Thigpen's got two feet out the door before training camp.

This year's draft class is signed without any fuss at all, Fred's extended, and the FO can work on retaining Jairus Byrd and Andy LeVitre. Really torn between who is more valuable, as LeVitre is turning into A Complete Guard, while Byrd is turning into A Complete Saftey in Tom Brady's AFCEast.

It's been a very well conducted off season, which will be perfect if everybody gets through training camp with all ligaments intact. I'm still standing by 9-7 and a Wild Card scrap.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Let us also not forget that you totally rodgered us over with the Lee Evans deal.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

In other news, Reggie Bush is a jackass.
Bush tweeted, "Shoot Drogba might even hit a Nazi chick tonight in Germany! LOL!" referring to Didier Drogba, who hit a winning penalty kick following Saturday's 2012 UEFA Champions League final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich.
I hope Wilfork falls on you a few times soon.
------------
------------
My LPs
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

I honestly don't know what happened to Lee last year. Had to have been some kind of nagging injury. Or Buddy Nix is secretly Nostradamus.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Falkenhayn wrote:I honestly don't know what happened to Lee last year. Had to have been some kind of nagging injury. Or Buddy Nix is secretly Nostradamus.

Well, apparently he had a lingering hip injury. And he may just have fallen off the age cliff.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So....you are a top-ten pick, the hope of your franchise and what do you do?

Get arrested for drunk driving, of course.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Justin Blackmon. Idiot.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Tomlinson finally hangs them up. I've watched the sport religiously since 1978 and I haven't seen anyone play running back better. One telling stat: Of all the backs with comparable stats, Tomlinson has a much lower number of fumbles. Emmitt Smith has more than double the number, and Tony Dorsett has triple the number of fumbles. Out of the all-time great running backs, only Larry Czonka has fewer fumbles.

But the stat that really stands out for me is this one: In his first nine seasons, he had double-digit rushing TDs every single season. The next closest on the list are Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson, who both started their careers with 4 straight seasons of 10+ touchdowns on the ground. Add up non-consecutive 10+ TD seasons and Barry Sanders is next closest with six.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Robert Kraft.

Actor

Bizarro

Pal

Bob Kraft’s New "Pal" Is A 32-Year-Old Occasional Actress
To be fair, any 32-year-old sleeping with Bob Kraft is an occasional actress.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Sad to hear about the death of Ben Davidson from cancer. He was part of one of the greatest defensive lines ever with the Raiders in the 60s, a unit that racked up over 70 sacks in only 14 games. Funny thing is, he's best remembered for those Miller Lite beer ads he did with Rodney Dangerfield ("All we need is one pin Rodney!"), a bit part he had in Behind the Green Door, and the role of Rexxor in Conan the Barbarian.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

First preseason game for the Cardinals. They played the Saints, who should be somewhat disorganized after the off season mess but seem to have a bit of chip on their shoulder instead. We'll see how well that works through the rest of the season.

Kolb looked iffy and then he was injured.

Skelton looked iffy and then kind of got it together so he looked okay.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I saw highlights of the game and it's pretty obvious that were it not for the big contract Kolb fleeced off the Cardinals he wouldn't be starting. Being rattled on the first series of a preseason is a very bad sign.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Not a good start for the Cardinals. But, preseason doesn't count.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

T.
O.
:)
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:T.
O.
:)
Great, now he has three QBs to throw under the bus.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hopefully one of them can throw to him.

And now that football is actually here...
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

NFL 2012. Now With 100% More Football.

Post by Havok »

The full preseason schedule kicks off tonight and thank The Football Gods.

4 weeks and I will make my divisional predictions.

Big stories to watch this year?
Manning in Denver, obviously.
Newton in his second outing in Carolina.
Luck replacing Manning in Indy.
Three old horses: Owens, Moss and Johnson all trying to revive their careers.
Is the Steelers defense finally too old?
Is Alex Smith the guy in SF?
Did Shannahan finally get his QB in RG3 and is he going to be flashing back to Steve Young? Which could be good and bad.
How sucky will the Saints be?

And last, but absolutely and certainly not least...

TEEEEEEEEEEBOOOOOWWWWWW or as I am sure we will hear T-E-B-O-W TEBOW TEBOW TEEEEEEEEBOOOOOOOWWWWW!! :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Good summary. I'll add the following:

- Will the Falcons win a playoff game eventually?
- Will the Ravens defence do fine without Suggs (YES)? Also, will Billy Cundiff finally manage to hit from 30+ will Justin Tucker take the job?
- Can Bellicheat use the easiest schedule in the whole NFL to once again get to the Superbowl?
------------
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Well balls, I guess I can't put it off any longer. I need to find a place where we can see the Ravens game every week. Generally, we only see them if they're on the opposite coast from the Jets(even then it's a crapshoot), or on the Sunday/Monday night game.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Where are you at?
------------
------------
My LPs
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Thanas wrote:Where are you at?
Central New Jersey. On the one hand, since Ray Rice is a Rutgers alum(some would say the Rutgers alum), and I live 20 minutes from campus, the Ravens are as beloved as a out-of-market team can be. On the other hand, asshole Jets and Giants fans.

I'll probably have my best luck at one of those sports bar chains with a zillion TVs.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

GODDAMNIT!

Mathews carries the ball one fucking time and breaks his collarbone! Out for up to six weeks! :banghead:

On the plus side, Vincent Brown looked brilliant (the team appears loaded at receiver) and two rookies did, too. Melvin Ingram looked like he was playing against opponents moving in slow motion. He was everywhere and belted Rodgers a good one, forcing a pick. Mike Harris (undrafted), subbing for an injured/fat Jared Gaither, manhandled Clay Matthews and everyone else on the left side.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: NFL 2012. Now With 100% More Football.

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote: Is Alex Smith the guy in SF?
I thought this was settled, or are Niner fans become as douchey as Cowboy fans with QBs?
Did Shannahan finally get his QB in RG3 and is he going to be flashing back to Steve Young? Which could be good and bad.
What was bad about Young/Shanahan?

And last, but absolutely and certainly not least...

TEEEEEEEEEEBOOOOOWWWWWW or as I am sure we will hear T-E-B-O-W TEBOW TEBOW TEEEEEEEEBOOOOOOOWWWWW!! :lol:
From Twitter:
Tim Tebow throws interceptions to backup linebackers for our sins.
:lol:

If you think that's mean, check out the non-stop ballbusting of Skip Bayless!
Skip Sayless ‏@RealSkipSayless

As a smile forms on my face, the front of my slacks are slowly getting moist once again. Do you know why? ITS TEBOW TIME EVERYBODY!
and
Faux John Madden ‏@FauxJohnMadden

???? RT @RealSkipBayless: Lotion.. check.. Blinds closed shut.. check.. Ready for Tebow time!
Yikes!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elfdart wrote:an injured/fat Jared Gaither
Now you get to experience the joys of watching Gaither squander his great talent through sheer laziness. We went through that with him already. Get ready for when he will start faking injuries to get out of practice...
------------
------------
My LPs