NFL 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: NFL 2012

Post by Thanas »

Meh. We all know the division will be controlled by whoever wins in the Pit vs. Baltimore matchups and the NFL gave a massive handjob to the steelers in that one.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Actually, I'm thinking the Bengals are the main competition for the Ravens -especially if they clean up this Thursday night.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote:Meh. We all know the division will be controlled by whoever wins in the Pit vs. Baltimore matchups and the NFL gave a massive handjob to the steelers in that one.
Except that if Pittsburgh gets off to a shitty start with that tough first half of the season, the two games won't matter as much. I'm not saying it has to be done like the Chargers/Raiders whose two games are 17 weeks apart. But I think we both share the sentiment that the NFL needs to get these divisional games spread out a little bit more than one fucking week.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Elfdart wrote:Actually, I'm thinking the Bengals are the main competition for the Ravens -especially if they clean up this Thursday night.
:lol:
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

ESPN

Things are getting seriously bad in New Orleans. Federal felony bad according to ESPN.
NEW ORLEANS -- The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.
Sources familiar with Saints game-day operations told "Outside the Lines" that Loomis, who faces an eight-game suspension from the NFL for his role in the recent bounty scandal, had the ability to secretly listen for most of the 2002 season, his first as general manager of the Saints, and all of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The sources spoke with "Outside the Lines" under the condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals from members of the Saints organization.

Jim Letten, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana, acknowledged being told of the allegations Friday. Sources said he has briefed the FBI in New Orleans about Loomis' alleged activity. If proven, the allegations could be both a violation of NFL rules and potentially a federal crime, according to legal sources. The federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) of 1986 prohibits any person from intercepting communications from another person using an electronic or mechanical device.

"I can say that we were just made aware of that on Friday, at least of these allegations," Letten said. "Anything beyond that I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to comment."

Greg Bensel, Saints vice president of communications, said Monday afternoon on behalf of the Saints and Loomis: "This is 1,000 percent false. This is 1,000 percent inaccurate."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was unaware of the allegations.

Sources told "Outside the Lines" the listening device was first installed in the general manager's suite in 2000, when Loomis' predecessor, Randy Mueller, served as Saints GM. At that time, according to sources, Mueller only had the ability to use the device to monitor the game-day communications of the Saints coaching staff, not the opposing coaches. Mueller, now a senior executive with the San Diego Chargers (he also was an ESPN.com NFL analyst from 2002-05), declined to comment when contacted by "Outside the Lines."
After the transition from Mueller to Loomis, the electronic device was re-wired to listen only to opposing coaches and could no longer be used to listen to any game-day communications between members of the Saints coaching staff, one source said.

"There was a switch, and the switch accessed offense and defense," said the source. "When Randy was there, it was the Saints offense or defense, and when Mickey was there it changed over so it was the visiting offense or defense," the source said.

"Outside the Lines" could not determine for certain whether Loomis ever made use of the electronic setup.

The sources said when Loomis took his seat during home games, then in the front row of box No. 4 in the 300 level of the Superdome's north side, he was able to plug an earpiece into a jack that was under the desk in front of him. The earpiece was not unlike those used to listen to inexpensive transistor radios, the sources said. With the earpiece in place, Loomis could then toggle back and forth with a switch that he controlled, enabling him to listen to either the game-day communications of the opposing offensive or defensive coaches.

Also underneath the desk in front of Loomis, said the sources, was a metal box that contained two belt packs similar to those worn around the waists of NFL head coaches during games. The packs powered the listening device available to Loomis, which was, according to sources, hard-wired to the audio feed of the opposing coaches.

The wiring setup was disabled sometime in September 2005 in the weeks after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast. The timing of the device's removal could prove significant for legal reasons. If Loomis used an electronic device to secretly listen to the opposing coaches without their consent, it would appear to be a violation of the federal ECPA statute, said Mike Emmick, a Los Angeles-based attorney.

Emmick worked for 25 years as an assistant U.S. attorney in Los Angeles, serving for eight years as chief of the public corruption and government fraud section.

"The ECPA bars any person from intentionally intercepting wire, oral or electronic communications by using an electronic or mechanical device," Emmick said. "The ECPA doesn't make it illegal just to eavesdrop. You have to have used a device ... Intentional interception by using the device is the key."

But the statute of limitations, the window federal prosecutors have to pursue any criminal charges against Loomis or the Saints, would only extend for five years after the date of such an offense, Emmick said.

If Loomis no longer had the ability to eavesdrop on opposing coaches after the 2004 season, he would be free from any potential criminal prosecution for a violation of the ECPA, Emmick said.

Loomis' alleged activity also would be a violation of Louisiana state law, according to Danny Onorato, a former assistant U.S. attorney now in private practice in Washington, D.C., where he specializes in white-collar crime. The statute of limitations for the law governing electronic eavesdropping in Louisiana is six years, Onorato said.
"A prosecutor or law enforcement should conduct a thorough investigation to make sure these are the facts. Did these individuals re-connect this device in some way?" Onorato said.

"At a minimum, somebody somewhere has a duty to investigate it to ensure the integrity of the game of football," he said.

Emmick said that it's possible Loomis and others could still be prosecuted for taking part in a conspiracy to cover up the federal ECPA violation. The statute of limitations for prosecution of a conspiracy is also five years, Emmick said, but that period would begin with the last "overt act" of the parties involved in a conspiracy.

In this case, any attempt to cover up the ECPA violation that extended into 2007 could constitute such an overt act and fall within the window of the statute of limitations, Emmick said.

Emmick and Onorato both said that any prosecution on the basis of a conspiracy to cover up an ECPA violation is unlikely. But there is another potentially far more costly aspect to Loomis' alleged behavior, according to Emmick and other legal sources contacted by ESPN.

"There's the potential for a lot of lawsuits filed by whoever was victimized by the electronic eavesdropping," Emmick said.

Under the civil laws that govern electronic eavesdropping, the victims of the eavesdropping would have two years from the time they had a "reasonable opportunity to discover the violation" in order to file lawsuits, Emmick said.

In other words, if an opposing team or individuals who were eavesdropped upon wanted to sue Loomis or the Saints, the clock would start ticking on their time frame to file a lawsuit when they discovered the alleged ECPA violation, not when the violation actually occurred.

Under Article No. 9 of the Constitution and Bylaws of the NFL, which lists "Prohibited Conduct," the league specifically bans the use of "...videotape machines, telephone tapping or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic device that might aid a team during the playing of a game."

"That would be a stupendous advantage if you had that," said Rick Venturi, who was the team's defensive coordinator during the period the sources said Loomis could eavesdrop on opposing coaches.

"That's shocking," Venturi said, when told of the allegations. "I can tell you if we did it, nobody told me about it. ... Nobody ever helped me during a game."

Venturi served in various capacities during a decade-long period with the Saints coaching staff, including a brief stint as interim head coach, and now hosts a radio program on an ESPN Radio affiliate in St. Louis.

Attempts to reach former Saints head coach Jim Haslett were not successful. Haslett served as the Saints head coach from 2000-05 and is now defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins. Sean Payton was named head coach of the Saints in 2006.

Rick Mueller, the brother of former Saints general manager Randy Mueller, was in the Saints front office from 2000-08 and was a regular in Loomis' booth during Saints home games.

"I sat right next to him most of the time," said Mueller, who now serves as a player personnel executive with the Philadelphia Eagles. Mueller said he vaguely recalled Loomis using an earpiece during games but he could not recall whether Loomis ever did so during the period in which sources allege Loomis had the ability to eavesdrop on opponents.

During Saints home games, Loomis typically sat in a seat next to the glass separating the Saints front office personnel from the Saints assistant coaches. When asked whether Loomis in any way signaled those Saints assistants on the other side of the glass during games, Mueller replied: "I didn't get any indication of that. ... There's no communication going on between Mickey and the coaches during a game I can tell you that. ... If it was just Mickey hearing it, I would see no way he could signal our coaches next door."

In 2002, the Saints compiled a 9-7 record. The team had an 8-8 record during the 2003 and 2004 seasons. In those three seasons combined, the Saints were 12-12 in the Superdome.

The 2005 season remains the infamous one that the Saints never played a home game in the Superdome due to the devastating impact of Hurricane Katrina. According to sources, that was also the first time Loomis would not have had the ability to listen in on the play calls of opposing teams. That year the Saints finished 3-13.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has an established a track record of issuing severe penalties when teams attempt to skirt those rules.

When it was discovered that the New England Patriots videotaped the New York Jets coaches' signals during a September 2007 game -- the so-called "Spygate" episode -- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 by the NFL, the maximum amount permitted under league rules.

The Patriots were also fined $250,000 by the NFL, and the team was forced to give up its first-round pick in 2008.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell wrote at the time in a letter to the Patriots.

Producer David Lubbers and production assistant Danielle DeSousa contributed to this report.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Bad if true, but unlike Spygate, this isn't connected to any championships just yet. If there is even one shred of tangible evidence this occurred then Loomis is out of the NFL for good. Not that I think the Saints will get out of this free and clear.

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Bad if true, but unlike Spygate, this isn't connected to any championships just yet. If there is even one shred of tangible evidence this occurred then Loomis is out of the NFL for good. Not that I think the Saints will get out of this free and clear.
Also unlike spygate it's a felony. Federal wiretapping charges could mean prison sentences for those involved.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Oh there's no doubt this is more criminal, my point though is that the allegations have this as ending pre Katrina, so that its not tied to the Super Bowl win.

While I'm not surprised at the allegations, I do have to wonder why now and not anytime sooner. The Saints are setting themselves up for quite the fight over this. If Drew Brees isn't fully on board this season they're going to struggle just to get to 8 wins.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Thanas wrote:Meh. We all know the division will be controlled by whoever wins in the Pit vs. Baltimore matchups and the NFL gave a massive handjob to the steelers in that one.
Except that if Pittsburgh gets off to a shitty start with that tough first half of the season, the two games won't matter as much. I'm not saying it has to be done like the Chargers/Raiders whose two games are 17 weeks apart. But I think we both share the sentiment that the NFL needs to get these divisional games spread out a little bit more than one fucking week.
Yeah, there's no doubt about that. Would be nice if the steelers would have to play a serious opponent in between as well.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Oh there's no doubt this is more criminal, my point though is that the allegations have this as ending pre Katrina, so that its not tied to the Super Bowl win.

While I'm not surprised at the allegations, I do have to wonder why now and not anytime sooner. The Saints are setting themselves up for quite the fight over this. If Drew Brees isn't fully on board this season they're going to struggle just to get to 8 wins.
It's coming out now because the franchise is under a microscope. There is blood in the water and every shark with a shred of an accusation is going to come out of the woodwork because it will be seen as credible because the reputation of the franchise is tarnished. If there is ANY dirty left in New Orleans expect it to be aired.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You want to know what is truly criminal? New England having the easiest schedule of all teams. WTH?
------------
------------
My LPs
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Thanas wrote:You want to know what is truly criminal? New England having the easiest schedule of all teams. WTH?
I think that's on purpose so they can have a traditional yearly choke job in the playoffs to torment the New England fans.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Found out this week that Rackers signed with the Redskins.

I swear to fuck, the Texans are acting an awful lot like they just want to go right back to being mediocre this season.

Edit: Just "Rackers", not "our Rackers".
Last edited by The Spartan on 2012-04-26 03:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

They're in a bad position because they were just good enough to make the playoffs, but are in salary cap purgatory and draft late this year.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Yeah, but if we take a step back, again, it's going to make for an extremely frustrating year. Or even couple of years.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Draft's coming. I hope either Hightower or Upshaw fall to us.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:Draft's coming. I hope either Hightower or Upshaw fall to us.
The Ravens traded their #1(29) for a #2(35) and a #4(98) from the Vikings.
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

It's a little strange that so many teams passed on DeCastro. I know he's a Guard, but he was being touted as one of the best prospects at the position in a long time. The Bengals trade kind of shows they really didn't want the guy in spite of wanting a guard, knowing that their divisional rivals may draft linemen.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elfdart wrote:
Thanas wrote:Draft's coming. I hope either Hightower or Upshaw fall to us.
The Ravens traded their #1(29) for a #2(35) and a #4(98) from the Vikings.
Smart move. Hightowwer is gone (screw you, pats) and Upshaw will still be there for us in the second round, I think. And we get an extra fourth pick. Love it.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

HeadCreeps wrote:It's a little strange that so many teams passed on DeCastro. I know he's a Guard, but he was being touted as one of the best prospects at the position in a long time. The Bengals trade kind of shows they really didn't want the guy in spite of wanting a guard, knowing that their divisional rivals may draft linemen.
Everyone went apeshit for pass rushers, simple as that. I'm glad Pete Carroll has such a soft spot for guys with off-field problems. He gets to play Father Flannagin for problem child Bruce Irvin, and the Chargers get Melvin Ingram -an OLB who should never have slipped that far.
8)

Oh, and nice going by the Vikings, fleecing the Browns out of three picks in exchange for moving down one spot and still getting the player they wanted all along.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

YES. YES. YES.

We finally got that pass rusher across from Suggs.
with the 35th overall selection of the 2012 NFL draft....the Baltimore Ravens select...Courtney Upshaw, linebacker, Alabama
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Jaguars just took a Punter.....in the third round.

Words fail me.
------------
------------
My LPs
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

I'm sure they got great value?

So far CB (fine as far as I'm concerned, T. McGee and Drayton Florence are both 32, and Drayton's always been a little suspect), OT (You can't teach 6'6" and 35 3/4, buy you can slim them down and coach them up), and WR, though I'm a little worried about a 1 year starter who lacks physicality, even though Buddy has him as a sub 4.4 guy.

6 picks in rounds 4-7. Hopefully a lot of LB depth, OL depth, perhaps take a chance on a WR or TE prospect.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

The video of the Jags deciding they had way too many draft picks in the first three rounds.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d ... nger-No-70
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I can't stand Mel Kiper Jr.

When he first started out, he was good at figuring out who a team wanted and whether or not they got them by the end of the draft. Now he thinks he's an actual talent evaluator, which he's not.