NFL 2012

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Re: NFL 2012

Post by Falkenhayn »

Add Kevin Kolb. On paper, he looks like Fitz with a bigger arm and better deep ball accuracy.

At its most ambitious, this move could signal the front office's taking a flyer on this year's whole QB class in favor of next years'. However, next year would bring a $7 million cap hit incurred from Fitz's contract, + Kolb's salary, + whoever is selected as the franchize's QB. On the whole, structural mismanagement of the salary cap by Buddy and Chan, which can't be helped.

So having passed on everybody, and opened up holes all over the roster in FA, the moves smells like a setup for a trade back, again assuming that OBD has testicles. This season gets tanked, Buffalo picks in the Top 5, when everybody knows the Bills will absolutely pick a top QB prospect, but there's little that can be done about it.

Which would mean that this year's draft would priority target either a hybrid DE/LB or WR, then hybrid LB/SS, TE, and OL depth.

...or the much more likely Kevin Kolb vs. Geno Smith/Matt Barkley/Ryan Nassib QB competition and a defense whose base alignment is the only formation Mike Pettine never wants to run.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Heyward-Bey goes to Indy.

Maybe he'll make more than three catches a game next season! :roll:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Go ahead and gloat Hav:
49ers agree to terms with Nnamdi Asomugha

Free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is returning to the Bay Area, agreeing to terms with the San Francisco 49ers on a one-year contract, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Schefter adds that the one-year deal is worth $1.35 million and contains no guaranteed money. Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network reports that an additional $1.65 million is available in incentives.

Asomugha, 31, played his college ball at Cal and entered the NFL with the Oakland Raiders, who selected the 6-foot-2, 210-pound cornerback with the 31st overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft. Asomugha developed into one of the league's elite cornerbacks, earning Pro Bowl nods from 2008 through 2010, despite posting just one interception in each of those three seasons.

Asomugha signed a five-year, $60 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles following the 2011 lockout, but appeared to have lost a step in the speed department. The Eagles also stuck with a zone scheme, ignoring that Asomugha's main strength is his unique length that he uses to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage. In 31 games with the Eagles, Asomugha had four interceptions and 17 passes defensed.

Philadelphia released Asomugha on March 12 despite owing the veteran $4 million in fully guaranteed base salary in 2013.

Following his release by the Eagles, Asomugha drew interest from the 49ers and New Orleans Saints. With the 49ers, Asomugha is expected to be the third corner behind Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown, but should see plenty of snaps as an outside corner in the 49ers' nickel and dime defensive packages.
:shock:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Dream team? Dream team.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thank you Elfdart, I think I will. :D This has been my take on Nnamdi since he got to Philly. I just wish we had got him two years ago. Bucky Brooks is one of NFL Networks best guys next to Mayock
And we are going to keep Rogers to boot? There is also still the chance to grab Woodson? There is also a silly rumor out there that we are putting an RFA deal together to try to grab Cruz from the Giants.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You and I completely differ on Brooks then Hav. I find his opinion to be coloured by personal preference, like when he claimed Matt Ryan was more clutch than Flacco (before the start of last season).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm not talking about his opinions on players or intangible things like "clutch". ( I mean I can show you 3 complete unclutch fuckups for every time Montana made a "clutch" play.) I am talking about how he can and does break down film and is able to show you exactly what he is talking about whether you agree with his conclusions or not.
Most writers on NFL Network, while I like them, couldn't whiteboard their way out of a Pop Warner locker room.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And I dunno, I think you can make the argument that Ryan is more "clutch" than Flacco even now, you just have to add the caveat that Flacco seemed to turn into a machine in the playoffs this year and never needed to be "clutch". I mean the one play against the Broncos and that's pretty much it right? He played so well he didn't have to be "clutch". IIRC Montana threw 5 picks in the 1981 NFC Championship game. If he hadn't done that he wouldn't have had to be "clutch" to Clark. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Falkenhayn wrote:Add Kevin Kolb. On paper, he looks like Fitz with a bigger arm and better deep ball accuracy.

At its most ambitious, this move could signal the front office's taking a flyer on this year's whole QB class in favor of next years'. However, next year would bring a $7 million cap hit incurred from Fitz's contract, + Kolb's salary, + whoever is selected as the franchize's QB. On the whole, structural mismanagement of the salary cap by Buddy and Chan, which can't be helped.

So having passed on everybody, and opened up holes all over the roster in FA, the moves smells like a setup for a trade back, again assuming that OBD has testicles. This season gets tanked, Buffalo picks in the Top 5, when everybody knows the Bills will absolutely pick a top QB prospect, but there's little that can be done about it.

Which would mean that this year's draft would priority target either a hybrid DE/LB or WR, then hybrid LB/SS, TE, and OL depth.

...or the much more likely Kevin Kolb vs. Geno Smith/Matt Barkley/Ryan Nassib QB competition and a defense whose base alignment is the only formation Mike Pettine never wants to run.
It looks like everyone is taking a pass on this years QB class.
The Chiefs: They trade for Alex Smith, but if you have a Luck this year... an RG3, even a Wilson, no way.
The Cardinals: Palmer? I mean I like the guy and I think he is good, but if there is even a Tannehill, no way.
The Bills: Kolb? What the fuck man? If there is even a fucking Wheedon, no way.
I mean there is literally no faith in this QB draft class this year. I never even heard of Geno Smith except in passing about one game. I actually watched Barkley a few times and meh... USC quarterback. Get the talent around him and you are good to go. Palmer in a few of his good years in Cincy. Sanchez in his first two years in NY. Hell, Cassel in his one year in NE. Put them on shit teams though? Nope.
Shit Foles, Cousins and Osweiler are all better than any of the top 5 guys this year look to be. It's just a bad class. It happens sometimes. There may be a surprise though. Isn't one of Montana's kids eligible this year?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:And I dunno, I think you can make the argument that Ryan is more "clutch" than Flacco even now, you just have to add the caveat that Flacco seemed to turn into a machine in the playoffs this year and never needed to be "clutch". I mean the one play against the Broncos and that's pretty much it right?
Well, that and his previous playoff wins/4th quarter comebacks.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:It looks like everyone is taking a pass on this years QB class.
The Chiefs: They trade for Alex Smith, but if you have a Luck this year... an RG3, even a Wilson, no way.
The Cardinals: Palmer? I mean I like the guy and I think he is good, but if there is even a Tannehill, no way.
The Bills: Kolb? What the fuck man? If there is even a fucking Wheedon, no way.
I mean there is literally no faith in this QB draft class this year. I never even heard of Geno Smith except in passing about one game. I actually watched Barkley a few times and meh... USC quarterback. Get the talent around him and you are good to go. Palmer in a few of his good years in Cincy. Sanchez in his first two years in NY. Hell, Cassel in his one year in NE. Put them on shit teams though? Nope.
Shit Foles, Cousins and Osweiler are all better than any of the top 5 guys this year look to be. It's just a bad class. It happens sometimes. There may be a surprise though. Isn't one of Montana's kids eligible this year?
Mayock said that he can't stand this years QB class and that he wouldn't pick any of them in the top 20. Looks like all the talent went last year or is going to go next year.

I think there might be an opportunity for a team to take one of the guys later in the 2nd, considering that nobody seems to want to spend a 1st rounder on a QB this year. Well, except for maybe the Browns.... :lol:
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh and in case anybody missed the QBs on facebook post after the SB: Link

Pretty well done.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

"Don't thank me. I had San Fran and the under" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man that fucking killed me... I haven't even finished reading it yet. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

On a somber note, I stumbled across this article about the death of Al Lucas in the AFL eight years ago. It's a grim but good read.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Honestly, why is a death any worse than someone getting paralyzed for the sport? Now I'm not talking the individual, but the actual sport.
It hasn't stopped high schools and colleges from churning out millions of prospects. It's not going to hurt ticket sales or TV viewer ship and at some point there has to be personal accountability to the individual players that chose and choose to play football.
Nobody stops watching NASCAR/F1/MotoGP because someone dies. Nobody is going to stop watching football because of it.

And for fucks sake, even in the 50's you would have to be a gawd damned fucking idiot to not know that getting repeatedly hit in the head was bad. I mean, do you think they didn't have retired boxers in the "olden days"?
Yes, we all believe what doctors tell us, but if I keep doing something that hurts me and a doctor says I'm going to be fine, I'm going to stop listening to that doctor.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Draft Today.

Please post in new thread.
------------
------------
My LPs