K-Fed hospitalised by reality TV (there is a point to this)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alkaloid
Jedi Master

K-Fed hospitalised by reality TV (there is a point to this)

Post by Alkaloid »

Article
Kevin Federline, dancer and former husband to pop princess Britney Spears, was rushed to hospital with a suspected heart attack after collapsing on the set of the Nine Network's weight-loss reality program Excess Baggage.

The 33-year-old was attending a training session with the Greater Western Giants AFL team at Doonside, in Sydney's west, when he complained of chest pains about 2pm today.

Medics on set gave him oxygen, but then decided to call an ambulance, which took him to Mount Druitt Hospital.

"Kevin was at Doonside with the [Giants], completing an AFL-related challenge," a Nine spokesman said.

"He did his challenge, which was running and catching the ball, then while his [in-series weight-loss partner] was taking the same challenge, he reported chest pains and a racing heart.

"Obviously on this show we have a lot of paramedics on standby and they treated him for the first signs of a minor cardiac arrest, called an ambulance and had him taken to hospital."

Doctors at Mount Druitt Hospital gave Federline an ECG test and found it had not been a heart attack, but decided to keep him for further testing.

"They want to do blood tests and [he] is likely to be there until at least late tonight [Monday]," the spokesman said.

This is the second time he has needed medical assistance since filming began on the reality series nine weeks ago.

In episode one, filmed in The Kimberleys, Federline collapsed and was treated for heat stress.

A spokesman for Channel Nine said today's reality drama surrounding Federline was "definitely, positively" not a PR stunt.
A couple of points. One, ok, I laughed, becuse the man is a bit of a tool.

Two, I truly dislike shows like this because they not only bring out the worst in the people watching them, they are fucking dangerous.

This guy used to be a professional dancer, at one point, not too long ago, he had to be at least resonably fit, and they managed to push him at 33 to the point of a suspected heart attack relatively early into the filming for this show. (I don't think it's even airing yet)

Also, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have overweight people training with a professional footy tea?. It sounds like a relatively simple excercise, but even holding back thses guys will run rings around most people on the planet and they will frankly be baffled as to why other people will be doing it so hard. This is their life, their whole existence is centred around being as fit as humanly possible, as strong as they can be, so that they can perform over a two hour period at levels most people would struggle to match at all. It's especially bad because someone like this probably has a voice in the back of his head going "shit, I used to be better than this" and they'll be pushing themselves harder than is safe anyway.

I'm all for the overweight people deciding to loose some, and more power to them, but this just encourages people to try and loose dangerous amounts of weight dangerously quickly by performing unrealistic and dangerous excercise regeims, and when they don't get the results they expect withing the week, they're likely to just quit.
Cowl
Youngling

Re: K-Fed hospitalised by reality TV (there is a point to th

Post by Cowl »

How many obese people would be able to arrange a training session with a football team?
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Alkaloid wrote:I'm all for the overweight people deciding to loose some, and more power to them, but this just encourages people to try and loose dangerous amounts of weight dangerously quickly by performing unrealistic and dangerous excercise regeims, and when they don't get the results they expect withing the week, they're likely to just quit.
Ah, I see what your problem is now. You think this show is designed to help people. You couldn't be further from the truth, even with these weight-loss reality shows.

The producers don't give a shit whether what they are showing is dangerous, unless there's a chance of litigation involved. They don't care if they don't actually help people lose weight. They only care about the ratings. If that means involving an AFL team, they'll fucking do that.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Cowl
Youngling

Post by Cowl »

The decision to include K-Fed as a candidate for this Australian reality show should make clear what kind of audience they're going for.

"Dancer, rapper and model." Guy that married Britney.