Last Season of House.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Last Season of House.

Post by CaptHawkeye »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 63991.html

So this season is going to be the last season for the show. It was a decision made by David Shore, Hugh Laurie, and Katie Jacobs.

I can say good really. House was a good show but it started to sputter last season and i've got to say I haven't really been keeping up anymore. End it while it's healthy.
Best care anywhere.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: Last Season of House.

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

CaptHawkeye wrote:I can say good really. House was a good show but it started to sputter last season and i've got to say I haven't really been keeping up anymore. End it while it's healthy.
Agreed. I like the show, I find it immensely entertaining, but "Raging Asshole Genius Doctor" as a premise can only carry one so far.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

It's still healthy? I sort of gave up on it after he was stuck in the rehab facility, I thought they had completely ran out of ideas and then I heard he was going to go be in prison and then come back and still be a genius doctor?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I lost interest when House started looking for new people to bounce ideas off of. Tried to get back into the show a few times but could not help but feel that the show was not even pretending to have to do with solving medical problems anymore.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

It really should have ended after season 3. It just kept getting weaker and weaker afterwards.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Final straw for me was when they had Cameron leave the show in the stupidest plot they ever did, but you could see it coming long before that.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Darth Fanboy wrote:It's still healthy? I sort of gave up on it after he was stuck in the rehab facility, I thought they had completely ran out of ideas and then I heard he was going to go be in prison and then come back and still be a genius doctor?
Yup he spent a year in jail, released and then running around for several episodes with a ankle monitor on.

Drove his car into Cuddy dinning room with people there eating.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alkaloid wrote:Final straw for me was when they had Cameron leave the show in the stupidest plot they ever did, but you could see it coming long before that.
Yeah - whatever happened to House having a possibility of Redemption as well?

Show should have ended halfway in season 3.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

All I gotta say is this...

But seriously, good. It should have ended a long time ago.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I liked the first couple episodes of Season 6, especially the James Earl Jones mini-arc. Plus that had the benefit of getting rid of the insufferably boring and superfluous Cameron for good. For me, midway through Season 6 was when it really started taking a dump.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

I see fgalkin's song (WTF?!) and raise him the Hallelujah Chorus
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

The notion of the eccentric badass miserable loner male in a television series should die suddenly and painlessly, since I don't care for the fetishization of anyone with even a slight interest in being a polymath. Shows like Lie to Me and Life were created in this mold, and I can only assume that similar imitations will persist so long as House is on air.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Yeah but Life was actually good.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

It should have ended at the end of last season, him on the beach sipping a cocktail on the run after trying to kill his boss and former lover. Would have been a perfect ending.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Meh. A far better end was the final scene of the season 3 finale.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Lord Pounder wrote:It should have ended at the end of last season, him on the beach sipping a cocktail on the run after trying to kill his boss and former lover. Would have been a perfect ending.
I felt the same way really. A very Daniel Plainview-esque ending where House ultimately shuns his life completely and decides he's only going to live for himself.

Complete with him beating Edward Vogler to death and shouting "I'm finished!" :lol:
Best care anywhere.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:The notion of the eccentric badass miserable loner male in a television series should die suddenly and painlessly,
Meh, "Becker" was awesome. But it has become kind of cliche now.
CaptHawkeye wrote:
Lord Pounder wrote:It should have ended at the end of last season, him on the beach sipping a cocktail on the run after trying to kill his boss and former lover. Would have been a perfect ending.
I felt the same way really. A very Daniel Plainview-esque ending where House ultimately shuns his life completely and decides he's only going to live for himself.
That would be a pretty big betrayal of the character though. It reminds me of people claiming "Calvin and Hobbes" should have ended with Calvin growing up and leaving Hobbes behind: it's just not in the character of the series at all. House couldn't live without challenge and he's fully accepted he cannot change.

Why shouldn't the series just end with him continuing business as usual?

I'm more annoyed the series seems to be suffering from it's last gasps since they know it's ending. Random drama just for drama. ER started to go this route in it's last few seasons, but it was nice they finally ended it the way they did.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I know it won't happen, but can Rowen Atkinson and co show up, and declare they have a very clever plan?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

No, the final patient in the series should be Stephen Fry, playing Stephen Fry desperately begging Hugh Laurie to come and make good television again.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

it's been awhile since I've seen House. that was probably just before the rehab arc, there were a lot of parties getting involved over his painkiller addiction. i liked the show, but that's kind of a given in that it's basically 'doctor' Sherlock Holmes.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Marko Dash wrote:it's been awhile since I've seen House. that was probably just before the rehab arc, there were a lot of parties getting involved over his painkiller addiction. i liked the show, but that's kind of a given in that it's basically 'doctor' Sherlock Holmes.
I watched up until he went full psycho and crashed his car into Cuddy's house, but I'd basically tuned out by then.

The final straw was when they invalidated the awesome season 3 ending and basically brought back the old team. After that House was relegated to the same level as CSI; something I put on to distract while the opponent took it's turn in Stainless Steel or other long strategy games.

I'll probably watch this, just for nostalgia's sake but I'm really not that enthusiastic.