"The Walking Dead" Season 2 Part II Discussion (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Block
Jedi Council Member

Re: "The Walking Dead" Season 2 Part II Discussion (Spoilers

Post by Block »

Shane fully deserved that.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I don't see why one of the survivors using the scoped rifle should have any problem picking off a good chunk of the Walkers just from inside the house, but we'll see next week.

Anyway, the "everyone is infected" aspect annoys me a bit (because I'm wondering what this means for the story and where it's going), but maybe the writers will do something interesting by having the characters learn that the disease is limited to the current generation and that the newly conceived won't have the disease passed to them.

It seems clear enough that Randall was a lot more involved with and enthusiastic his own group's actions (he said something like "things get a little crazy and you (Shane) will fit right in" but it does not seem like his group is necessarily part of whatever the Governor's group is because he (Randall) said his people were camped near the road a few miles from the farm.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Shane, a guy so badass, you have to kill him twice!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I think Shane was definitely on the way to crazy town by the time he took Rick out into the clearing. As Rick pointed out, Shane has zero credibility at this point - if he walked back alone and said that Randall surprised and killed Rick, nobody would believe him.

As for the "everybody is infected" bit, it makes it so that you can never just hole up in an area and completely keep zombies out. You have to make sure that you smash people's heads after they die of any cause, and anything that killed a bunch of people relatively quickly (like an outbreak of disease) would start a wave of zombie attacks all over again.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I think Shane was definitely on the way to crazy town by the time he took Rick out into the clearing. As Rick pointed out, Shane has zero credibility at this point - if he walked back alone and said that Randall surprised and killed Rick, nobody would believe him.
And, in typical Shane fashion, it was self-fulfilling; he brought his own destruction upon himself.
FSTargetDrone wrote:It seems clear enough that Randall was a lot more involved with and enthusiastic his own group's actions (he said something like "things get a little crazy and you (Shane) will fit right in" but it does not seem like his group is necessarily part of whatever the Governor's group is because he (Randall) said his people were camped near the road a few miles from the farm.
His remarks also completely destroyed any sympathy that might have been built up for him in the audience since Rick rescued him. Still, I don't think he's necessarily part of the Governor's group, either.
FSTargetDrone wrote:As for the "everybody is infected" bit, it makes it so that you can never just hole up in an area and completely keep zombies out. You have to make sure that you smash people's heads after they die of any cause, and anything that killed a bunch of people relatively quickly (like an outbreak of disease) would start a wave of zombie attacks all over again.
True. And, as you pointed out, what does this mean for the unborn generation? Might Lori try to abort her pregnancy if she fears giving birth to a zombie infant?
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

JME2 wrote:
FSTargetDrone wrote:As for the "everybody is infected" bit, it makes it so that you can never just hole up in an area and completely keep zombies out. You have to make sure that you smash people's heads after they die of any cause, and anything that killed a bunch of people relatively quickly (like an outbreak of disease) would start a wave of zombie attacks all over again.
True. And, as you pointed out, what does this mean for the unborn generation? Might Lori try to abort her pregnancy if she fears giving birth to a zombie infant?
That was actually Guardsman Bass' comment that you quoted but I agree with him (I said something similar earlier in the thread concerning people dying in "safe" communities). It just has to be the new norm for the survivors. It can be dealt with if they are careful. No one in any community that manages to hang on can ever let the old or sick alone. Then again these people in Rick's group still have yet to seriously implement the Buddy System and they are STILL letting Carl out of their sight. It's starting to get silly. It worked out in this case, for Rick, but come on already.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Spoiler
I don't understand, how does Dale's death change what the group felt they had to do? Seriously? The group agreed on a path and Rick just decided, out of some misplaced sentimentalism, to do something that made no logical sense. I knew from the minute that Rick put Randall back in the car two episodes ago he wouldn't kill him. Everything else was just him looking for an excuse not to do it. Not a bad thing in and of itself but at some point it becomes delusional.

Also, note how he was able to tell where his group's camp was in relation to the farm. "About five miles from here." He said. That could have been what cost him his life. If Shane was smart he would simply have run that part of the plan by Rick and pulled it off, a sting if you will, to find out how much Randall knew. He would have gotten what he wanted and wouldn't have needed to kill anybody. But at that point he just wanted to ice Rick. I feel kinda sorry for him because for all his talk he couldn't quite do it could he? Just like he couldn't kill Sophia he couldn't kill Rick. All his survivalist talk was a bullshit way to help him feel better about Otis and then it just bloomed from there. Deep down inside he wanted to believe. Honestly 'm not sure that he wasn't slightly suicidal.

I'm not sure how I feel about the classical "everyone who dies becomes a zombie" angle, but I don't think I mind. I think it's would have been awkward if that girl had killed herself. That's for sure.I find it ironic that Shane's plan might have worked simply because a zombified Rick would be more believable.

So Shane's gone. Hm. As a character I liked him because he was pragmatic and provided a counter to Rick but he was getting more and more unstable, Andrea and Darryl can fill that role just as easily with none of the murder. The problem is, of course,that Rick has declared himself leader of the group and he has Hershel on his side. And they're both idiots who don't listen to anyone. For that matter, the whole Grimes family is idiotic. But Lori takes the cake. God here's to hoping she dies.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Why are you spoilerizing your post? This is the spoilers thread.
FSTargetDrone wrote:Then again these people in Rick's group still have yet to seriously implement the Buddy System and they are STILL letting Carl out of their sight. It's starting to get silly. It worked out in this case, for Rick, but come on already.
At least they're finally holing in the house, instead of those exposed tents.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Scrib wrote:Also, note how he was able to tell where his group's camp was in relation to the farm. "About five miles from here." He said.
Randall was familiar with the location of the farm because he knew who Maggie was from school.

As an aside, speaking of spoilers, some people on the Walking Dead Wiki have been posting screencaps of upcoming episodes. There was an image of a zombified Shane that was posted a few weeks ago which I saw. So stay well clear of that site before the finale. There are some new ones now which I won't mention, so be warned.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Scrib wrote:Also, note how he was able to tell where his group's camp was in relation to the farm. "About five miles from here." He said.
Randall was familiar with the location of the farm because he knew who Maggie was from school.

As an aside, speaking of spoilers, some people on the Walking Dead Wiki have been posting screencaps of upcoming episodes. There was an image of a zombified Shane that was posted a few weeks ago which I saw. So stay well clear of that site before the finale. There are some new ones now which I won't mention, so be warned.
I'm aware. The point is that the group was wondering if he knew exactly where the farm was. They had decided not to take that risk and then Rick went full retard. As it turns out, he did know enough to damn them.
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Overall a great episode. Everything was just great. It seems that Lori's little speech to Shane made him go completely nuts in a way or at least that is my impression. We now know what Jim was dreaming about (or having visions of) in Season 1 Episode 5 when he was in the RV sleeping, trying to rest from his bite, and then he suddenly sits up with a terrified look on his face. And zombie Shane is terrifying; that scene had me on edges with the little tearing-of-fleshes flash. With Shane gone, the best person of the group (Dale) and the worst are now dead. I wonder how this will affect the group dynamic.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Was Carl ever trained to use a gun? I assume he must have been since Rick approving of him carrying would otherwise be completely ridiculous. He also managed a perfect headshot on his first try; something Andrea had trouble with. I certainly wouldn't have been confident enough in my aim to shoot with my dad standing so close by.

Overall this was a very strong episode. The ending sequence with them wandering around in the dark was incredibly intense. I thought perhaps it would be Glenn and Darryl wandering around with the flashlight that would stir up a herd of walkers. I'm going to be looking forward to the finale all week.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I predict someone is going to end up trapped in the tower that Shane built. Possibly Rick and Carl since they are so far away from the house, but maybe Darryl and Glen, who look like they'd be cut off.

Darryl was already onto Shane, so was Glenn, I have no doubt Rick will be exonerated by them unless they die. What I wonder, is whether Carl was aiming for Rick or not, he had the gun out before Shane even got up.

The motor home could be an excellent escape vehicle, doesn't it have a window on dthe top that could become a hatch? fall back through the house and evacuate through a window to the roof and down into the vehicle.

Then the F@#ing thing wouldn't start and they'd be eaten.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Someone over at Westeros (and apparently the actress playing Maggie on "Talking Dead") brought up an interesting point about Shane: he may have been trying to get Rick to kill him when he took Rick into the clearing. He was obviously in a bad emotional place over Lori's final, firm rejection, and he had plenty of chances to shoot Rick even after pouring out his anger and frustration.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

So if everyone is infected, think we are going to see Dale work his way out of his grave?
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

^ Dale was shot in the head.

The problem I have with everyone is infected is, if that's the big whisper secret Rick heard from Jenner then how can he go forward as leader. If revealed everyone will be pissed, if he hides it, it will eat him up inside. Also makes it the whole CDC drama pretty insignificant.

Shane has terrible planning skills, walk around from afternoon or sunset to dark then end up within eye and ear shot of the farm to kill Rick? Lori goes from egging Rick to kill Shane to sorry Shane even though he still shows signs of being not a team player, in this episode she looks at him when he has a spat with Rick over Randall's fate. Would be more interesting if she was more manipulative and tried to get Shane to kill Rick with her talk.

Other than that nice episode, talk about defending the farm at least a point now. Not sure how they can fit in a zombie horde and a group of 30 into the finale so guessing the human group is all season 3 setup.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

If the Walkers are the product of a virus or global infection of some sort, why didn't the CDC find anything? They had a fresh sample to study but couldn't find any evidence of an infection. It can't be a virus anyway because those only work on living things (I think?), and this specifically only works on the dead.

It better bloody not be God. I will be pissed if this is some kind of divine plague.

Maybe something like the Marker from Dead Space? Ancient artefact unearthed and turned on that reanimates dead humans (they did it in Stargate as well IIRC). Gives them a nice way to fix the problem - instead of searching for a cure to some zombie disease, they just need to fight their way to the artefact and destroy it to instantly switch off all the Walkers and prevent any new ones. They could even do it as a series finale - the group have to fight their way into a military base or research lab where the thing is, and start dying off one by one until the last one left standing just manages to destroy it or hit the off button before bleeding out from their injuries. Main characters all dead but world saved for the remainder of humanity.

Don't think it'd fit with the style of the show though.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
jcow79
Padawan Learner

Post by jcow79 »

So if everyone is infected, does that mean a random bite from a zombie would not be a guaranteed zombie sentence like what is typical for many zombie universes? Assuming you didn't succumb to really bad infection, if you were able to get treated with antibiotics, would you likely be just fine?

Also, what was going on with the flashes of zombies when Shane was turning? Was that just part of the process of turning into a zombie or was it some kind of zombie telepathy with the nearby zombies?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Revy wrote:If the Walkers are the product of a virus or global infection of some sort, why didn't the CDC find anything? They had a fresh sample to study but couldn't find any evidence of an infection. It can't be a virus anyway because those only work on living things (I think?), and this specifically only works on the dead.

It better bloody not be God. I will be pissed if this is some kind of divine plague.
They found something, but they didn't know what it was. Dr. Jenner was studying it under a micro-scope at the end of Episode 5 in Season One.
jcow79 wrote:So if everyone is infected, does that mean a random bite from a zombie would not be a guaranteed zombie sentence like what is typical for many zombie universes? Assuming you didn't succumb to really bad infection, if you were able to get treated with antibiotics, would you likely be just fine?
Not sure. Whatever zombies are carrying in their saliva seems to be 100% lethal when they bite someone.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The other problem with the "Everyone is infected" theory is that it doesn't explain the corpses on the highway in the season premiere.

Either there's more going on with the virus, or the writers goofed and made the decision after the episode aired.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Well, think of it like anthrax. Anthrax is naturally occurring over much of the globe and leads to some local infections of livestock, but isn't much of a problem most of the time.

However, in very high concentrations, it can start infecting people. So, given that whatever turns humans into zombies is probably a disease caused by an infectious agent (the CDC certainly thought as much), there are a few things to consider. Firstly, if it is airborne, then it probably has a minimum concentration to be reliably infectious; this means living people's immune systems can handle the relatively minor amount in the air and can prevent infected cells from expressing the infection, like herpes or cold sores. Secondly, people with depressed immune systems probably come down with it rather easily or express the disease rather easily, as the recently deceased in the last episode show rather well. Thirdly, being bit probably transfers enough of a load of bacteria/virus into the bloodstream as to overload the host's immune system and cause a full-blown infection.

Just my $0.02, anyway.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Well I think the producers explained the highway dead by saying they all suffered massive head trauma, Which seems iffy.

I think a better explanation would be that the the virus can be transmitted by simply being in close proximity to zombies, zombie bites also transmit the virus but what makes them so lethal and untreatable is something else.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Scrib wrote:So Shane's gone. Hm. As a character I liked him because he was pragmatic and provided a counter to Rick
Except Shane wasn't a pragmatist. He was a psychopath who couched his actions in a false veneer of pragmatism.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

spaceviking wrote:Well I think the producers explained the highway dead by saying they all suffered massive head trauma, Which seems iffy.
Yeah, I hate that answer, mostly because it didn't appear that there was any kind of huge pile-up on that road. It did look like a few cars had collided, but not all of them. I need to watch that episode again.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

General Schatten wrote:
Scrib wrote:So Shane's gone. Hm. As a character I liked him because he was pragmatic and provided a counter to Rick
Except Shane wasn't a pragmatist. He was a psychopath who couched his actions in a false veneer of pragmatism.
I've said that a couple of times, and the response has been, "well, you don't know how you'd react under that kind of stress and it being a new world." Except if you don't act like a bunch of animals suddenly the dead become a lot less of a threat.