"The Walking Dead" Season 2 Part II Discussion (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Re: "The Walking Dead" Season 2 Part II Discussion (Spoilers

Post by Admiral Drason »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:Another thought, might the zombie apoclypse simply be waited out? They seem to decay, albeit more slowly. The one we see Andrea brain with her pistol looked liked it had its skull caved in far too easily compared to what I imagine a living human's would take. I'm thinking that walkers probably aren't going to register as humans to most animals. With the possible exception of thier bipedalism, they certainly don't act like people and certainly aren't going to smell like humans after very long. Meaning most of the stray walkers should be picked off by wild/feral animals anywhere but the cities. In North America we have predators ranging from coyotes to bears just about anywhere and, depending on your location, wolves and mountain lions. I don't even want think about the carrion eating insects/insect larvae and what they will do to all the walkers, excepting those in climes precluding insect habitation. If you can avoid being killed for a year or so the walkers should largly cease to exist, excepting the most recent.
Wouldn't the zombies be poisonous to any animal that tried to eat them?
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Heh, I hope everyone is now caught up with the details of the helicopter. :D

It appeared to be a civilian or possibly State Police sort of aircraft. It did not look military at all.

There was a different helicopter seen in the 6th webisode directing people to a park where they would be picked up and taken to Atlanta. But given that both events happened many weeks ago with respect to the finale, who knows what's left.
In the comics there was a helicopter seen flying that turned out to be used by a local newstation. Since that was the catalyst for the Governor Arc, and the Governor is going to be in season 3, I'm guessing that's it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Admiral Drason wrote:Wouldn't the zombies be poisonous to any animal that tried to eat them?
I don't think they would prey on a walking, rotting corpse to begin with given how bad they must smell. However, a walker might get torn limb from limb if he went barreling towards a predator hoping to take a bite out of it. I wonder if the predator would eventually lose interest and leave the walker limbless and disemboweled to flop around on the ground, or if it would end up biting the head off. I also wonder how often such a situation would arise given so many walkers moving in groups.

Overall I would say this season was an improvement over the mixed bag of the first. There was enough good stuff to make me want to tune in again next season. I find it rather odd that we never got to see that scene from the preview with Shane being chased down by a massive herd. It was only a few seconds long but it strikes me as a bit of a waste of their budget if they could have used an action sequence that is used in the show. I also would have liked to have found out what happened to Morgan.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Dread Not wrote:I find it rather odd that we never got to see that scene from the preview with Shane being chased down by a massive herd. It was only a few seconds long but it strikes me as a bit of a waste of their budget if they could have used an action sequence that is used in the show. I also would have liked to have found out what happened to Morgan.
Scuttlebutt has it that it was cut from a flashback and may appear as video release supplementals.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Winter should do a number on the zombies, unless they have World War Z-esque anti-freeze for blood (did it ever come up in the comic?). Places where it's cold enough to freeze and warm them in cycles might actually be more damaging, since the repeated frost-thaw cycle will turn their flesh into mush.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Winter should do a number on the zombies, unless they have World War Z-esque anti-freeze for blood (did it ever come up in the comic?). Places where it's cold enough to freeze and warm them in cycles might actually be more damaging, since the repeated frost-thaw cycle will turn their flesh into mush.
Winter, in the south? Don't make me laugh. The temperature will rarely get below freezing. Only northern locations will benefit from winter.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Alyeska wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:Winter should do a number on the zombies, unless they have World War Z-esque anti-freeze for blood (did it ever come up in the comic?). Places where it's cold enough to freeze and warm them in cycles might actually be more damaging, since the repeated frost-thaw cycle will turn their flesh into mush.
Winter, in the south? Don't make me laugh. The temperature will rarely get below freezing. Only northern locations will benefit from winter.
Georgia's average low is below freezing, the average high between 30 and 40. Further south, yeah, but this group seems to be right on the border of where the cold should be beneficial. Also depends on if they stay in the South.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Alyeska wrote:Winter, in the south? Don't make me laugh. The temperature will rarely get below freezing. Only northern locations will benefit from winter.
You, uh, you do know that there are hills and mountains and such in The South, right? In fact, on at least one of them it hasn't broken 70F in a hundred years.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Actually mountains might be an ideal refuge. They are colder in the winter, and based on how the zombies shuffle and navigate obstacles I could see the terrain seriously impairing them.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Winter freezing zombies was a major plot point in WWZ.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

spaceviking wrote:Actually mountains might be an ideal refuge. They are colder in the winter, and based on how the zombies shuffle and navigate obstacles I could see the terrain seriously impairing them.

Well those idiots decided to move in the opposite direction of the mountains, so...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lonestar wrote:
spaceviking wrote:Actually mountains might be an ideal refuge. They are colder in the winter, and based on how the zombies shuffle and navigate obstacles I could see the terrain seriously impairing them.

Well those idiots decided to move in the opposite direction of the mountains, so...

Umm, says who? T-Dawg wanted to head east but I don't recall the group mentioning heading in any particular direction.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Admiral Drason wrote:Wouldn't the zombies be poisonous to any animal that tried to eat them?
Most predatory animals can eat thoroughly rotten meat with little to no ill effects.

However, I'm pretty sure there are now herds of elephants traipsing about the US now, and they should effectively be impervious to zombie attacks. Circus elephants, elephants in animal sanctuaries, and zoos without adequate restraint that simply managed to work due to electrified fences should see the elephants leave very soon. Hell, even ones with adequate enclosures might still be broken down as the elephants work in concert to get out when they start getting hungry and know food ain't coming.

Similarly, there should be a large upswing in lions and tigers, as the ones in private residences break out. Same with a bunch of other exotic animals (chimps, gorillas, orangutans, all of which are notorious breakout artists in zoos who primarily manage to stay inside enclosures because they have most of their needs met and have constant maintenance and upgrades on their enclosures). I'd like to see them do something with exotic animals sometime in the series, as many of them should have thick enough skin to keep a zombie from eating them.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Akhlut wrote:
Most predatory animals can eat thoroughly rotten meat with little to no ill effects.

However, I'm pretty sure there are now herds of elephants traipsing about the US now, and they should effectively be impervious to zombie attacks. Circus elephants, elephants in animal sanctuaries, and zoos without adequate restraint that simply managed to work due to electrified fences should see the elephants leave very soon. Hell, even ones with adequate enclosures might still be broken down as the elephants work in concert to get out when they start getting hungry and know food ain't coming.

Similarly, there should be a large upswing in lions and tigers, as the ones in private residences break out. Same with a bunch of other exotic animals (chimps, gorillas, orangutans, all of which are notorious breakout artists in zoos who primarily manage to stay inside enclosures because they have most of their needs met and have constant maintenance and upgrades on their enclosures). I'd like to see them do something with exotic animals sometime in the series, as many of them should have thick enough skin to keep a zombie from eating them.
Good point, I completely forgot about all the exotics we have scattered about the country. Though I have to wander how well they'll fare come winter in certain regions of the country on their own. Surely the zoos and whatnot don't keep them inside all winter long, so they must have some familiarity with winter weather, though long term shelter and food without human assitance in the winter could be an issue.

Damnit, now I want to see a group of zombies try to eat an elephant or rhino for the hilarity and gore that would ensue. :lol:
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

loomer wrote:Winter freezing zombies was a major plot point in WWZ.
Yes, but they always came out intact after freezing and then thawing, hence my crack about "anti-freeze" for blood (although I realize it doesn't work as well as I thought it did as a joke). I have no idea how cold affects zombies in The Walking Dead - has the comic's storyline even progressed to the point where they experience a winter?
They would need to stock up a fair amount of food, though. I'm not sure exactly how much, although I remember we did some of the calculations for a much larger group for the "SD.net Bunker" Thread.
Akhlut wrote:However, I'm pretty sure there are now herds of elephants traipsing about the US now, and they should effectively be impervious to zombie attacks. Circus elephants, elephants in animal sanctuaries, and zoos without adequate restraint that simply managed to work due to electrified fences should see the elephants leave very soon. Hell, even ones with adequate enclosures might still be broken down as the elephants work in concert to get out when they start getting hungry and know food ain't coming.
It would be very cool to see a group of elephants tromping around, although they'd never get the budget to do it in the show. The zombies probably couldn't bite through their hide, but they could wear them down with exhaustion (I'm imagining a large mass of zombies shambling after an elephant, which stays ahead of them but steadily gets more tired).
Akhlut wrote:Similarly, there should be a large upswing in lions and tigers, as the ones in private residences break out. Same with a bunch of other exotic animals (chimps, gorillas, orangutans, all of which are notorious breakout artists in zoos who primarily manage to stay inside enclosures because they have most of their needs met and have constant maintenance and upgrades on their enclosures). I'd like to see them do something with exotic animals sometime in the series, as many of them should have thick enough skin to keep a zombie from eating them.
I'd love to see a zombie show/story actually have it so that the predatory animal population explodes with all that easy meat walking around, instead of hand-waving it with "zombie blood is poisonous to them too". It would be another danger for the surviving humans to deal with, particularly if their ammunition supply runs low.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
I'd love to see a zombie show/story actually have it so that the predatory animal population explodes with all that easy meat walking around, instead of hand-waving it with "zombie blood is poisonous to them too". It would be another danger for the surviving humans to deal with, particularly if their ammunition supply runs low.
I think it would be more handwavery to think an animal could eat one of those things and not get sick. They are completely oblivious to pain, things like cuts, infections, inflammation, don't even seem to exist. Their "blood" is like, gross watery shit, if I was a wolf pack I'd probably be disinterested. Vultures in the other hand, might start swarming the things and getting eaten for their trouble.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Themightytom wrote:I think it would be more handwavery to think an animal could eat one of those things and not get sick. They are completely oblivious to pain, things like cuts, infections, inflammation, don't even seem to exist. Their "blood" is like, gross watery shit, if I was a wolf pack I'd probably be disinterested. Vultures in the other hand, might start swarming the things and getting eaten for their trouble.
Every predatory animal will eat rotting carrion. Most of them do not get sick in the least from it, because their stomach acid is extremely potent and most predatory animals have fairly strong immune systems for the bacteria that grow in rotting meat. While wolves tend to be happiest with fresh meat, I'm sure they'd take zombies from time to time (especially if the zombies are eating most of the fresh meat in an area). Bears, though, would probably happily rip apart zombies to eat them. And, over the world, things like hyenas, dholes, and other such predators would eat zombies with relish. To say nothing of such animals like crocodiles and alligators, who would be both completely impervious to attempts by zombies to eat them and also be able to destroy zombies with ease.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Themightytom wrote:I think it would be more handwavery to think an animal could eat one of those things and not get sick. They are completely oblivious to pain, things like cuts, infections, inflammation, don't even seem to exist. Their "blood" is like, gross watery shit, if I was a wolf pack I'd probably be disinterested. Vultures in the other hand, might start swarming the things and getting eaten for their trouble.
Actually, Walker blood appears to be quite thick and syrupy, not watery at all.

In any case, there is clearly something arresting quick decomposition of the Walkers. Freshly dead bodies should be maggot bait in a matter of days.

Look at the pictures on Wikipedia of a freshly-dead pig decomposing (larger versions available here):

The first picture is shortly after death. The second shows the fourth day and there is some discoloration and bloating. In the third picture, the eighth day after death, the body is actively being consumed by maggots. The fourth picture is eleven days after death and the skeleton is partially visible. The fifth picture shows five weeks later and all that remains is some skin, hair and the skeleton. There is no information about the temperature at the site, but given that the grass is green, let's assume the weather is moderately warm. It's pretty hot in Georgia where Rick's group is, so decompostion should be happening at least as quickly as the pig, if not faster.

Forget large predators. Insects alone should be taking care of most of the world's Walkers within two weeks. But something is preventing that. Why they aren't constantly surrounded by great clouds of flies is a mystery.

Incidentally, during The Talking Dead discussion show after the season finale, it was pointed out that during post production, the exhaled vapor (visible in the cold night air) of the actors playing the Walkers was removed.

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2012-03-21 06:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Flagg wrote:
Torben wrote:
Stofsk wrote:I thought that was the helicopter we saw all the way back in the first episode. I don't have it available so I can't compare the two. I thought we were basically being told that these zombies travelled far and wide and by coincidence wandered close to Herschel's farm.

I mean when you think about it, walking all the way from the city to wherever Herschel's farm is would take weeks/months, especially for slow-moving walkers. And it's been a few months since the start of the story IIRC.

I could easily be wrong about this, and it's possible that whoever was piloting that helicopter might be revealed in the next season. But I doubt it. Also, now that I know they're going to do the prison plotline, I am both curious and wary to see the next season. Curious to see what deviations they will make from the comic, wary of what they will keep from it.
I have to agree with your assessment of the helicopter. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the animal they were eating was Rick's horse, and the subsequent scenes moved farther along in time until they joined the moment where Carl killed Walker Shane.
Animal was a dog.
Well damn my inattentiveness coupled with the low quality of a 9 year old tivo. I sit corrected :)
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Actually, Walker blood appears to be quite thick and syrupy, not watery at all.
I think he means it literally looks like watery shit.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

FSTargetDrone wrote:<SNIP>Insects alone should be taking care of most of the world's Walkers within two weeks. But something is preventing that. Why they aren't constantly surrounded by great clouds of flies is a mystery.
Could it simply be that since the walkers are in motion, the insects are not landing on them? I know whenever a fly lands on me and I move a little it takes off again. That being said, I was wondering the same thing regarding walkers, their rate of decomp, and apparent lack of insect and scavenger damage.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Torben wrote:
FSTargetDrone wrote:<SNIP>Insects alone should be taking care of most of the world's Walkers within two weeks. But something is preventing that. Why they aren't constantly surrounded by great clouds of flies is a mystery.
Could it simply be that since the walkers are in motion, the insects are not landing on them? I know whenever a fly lands on me and I move a little it takes off again. That being said, I was wondering the same thing regarding walkers, their rate of decomp, and apparent lack of insect and scavenger damage.
Good question. The Walkers generally move slowly and steadily unless their attention is drawn by living human or animal. So if anything, steady motion might not be enough to dissuade flies, especially when the Walkers aren't swatting away the insects. Because many of the Walkers seem to have open facial wounds, that and their eyes and mouth should be very attractive to swarming flies. We might expect the flies to concentrate about a Walker's head.
Wing Commander MAD wrote:Walkers aren't fast, and they certainly lack the brain power to use conventional human hunting methods. I really don't see how they should be able to manage to kill anything that isn't trapped in some way. The only thing humans have going for us as predators are brains and endurance, but the speed of the walkers pretty much renders thier superior endurance to man moot. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.
That's the biggest problem with this show: if you start to think about the Walkers too much, the questions that are naturally raised really make it silly. How do they see with those cloudy eyes? Where is all that endurance coming from? They eat, so to speak, but are they digesting that food? If so, they should be smelling even worse than normal because any Walker wearing pants should stink like the diaper from hell. They don't appear to drink and can't possibly get enough liquid from meat, so how does that work? Why isn't the small part of the brain that is still active not turning to mush as the rest of the brain decomposes? What exactly is it that is slowing the natural decomposition in the first place? It would be so much easier to explain how Walkers work if a supernatural agent was involved!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Definitely true. I figure their vision is pretty awful, and probably limited to little more than being able to sense movement among nearby objects. That's why they couldn't tell Rick and Glen apart from other zombies in the second episode until they could actually smell them apart from the gore they were wearing.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

There are so many problems with the concept of Walking Dead that complaining about 'how zombies work' seems to be missing the forest from the trees.

It would be nice though if the necromancers sort of came out of hiding and went 'lol sup guys'. :lol:
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Silly Stofsk, this isn't a Stephen King novel. :D

But yeah, we should probably just relax and enjoy the character drama. Will Rick's decisions once again turn out to be the wrong ones?
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood