Annual Shrine to Materialism Thread (Or, Post Your Gifts)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

loomer
Sith Marauder

Annual Shrine to Materialism Thread (Or, Post Your Gifts)

Post by loomer »

Let's have it, folks. What did you get this year?

Best gift here was a genuine triceratops tooth (common, but still, it's a piece of a goddamn dinosaur) and an imitation Confederate kepi, as well as some more obscure books on your Yankee civil war.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Re: Annual Shrine to Materialism Thread (Or, Post Your Gifts

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

1k cheque, a big box of CJ Cherryth books, a small box of murder mysteries, an offer to put me up for two weeks in Hornsea, and a mountain bike with extra bad arse wheels and overconstructions.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Dolphin Pillow Pet

(and some other unimportant things as well)

I am so happy right now.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

Let me see...

100 Must-Read Science Fiction Novels
The High Crusade
Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire

Lady Gaga: The Monster Ball Tour DVD
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing
Goliath (Scott Westerfield)

And some other stuff.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

$100
$50 Best Buy gift card
The Art of War
A "Beware of the Drop Bears" t-shirt

And a Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. N
(sadly, only a scale miniature)
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I got one of these from my girlfriend. :)

Thing weighs 160kg and is a total bitch to move.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Some money.
A Futuro set of tools, set of pliers and set of electrican/clockmaker screwdrivers. Oh, and one of those clipper-things that you pick up small stuff with.
A small, combo bench-grinders, one side with a drywheel and the other with a sandbelt.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Money, more money and my cars MOT.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Just a bunch of clothes. Oh, and Mario Kart 7. :D
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I got a new computer, 1 month ago. Today I got the box.

And clothes.

The best one was the Dilbert calendar though. :mrgreen:
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

I got a pair of wooden tongs (for getting stuff out of the oven) and a pasta-picker (the kinds you would use to serve yourself pasta from a bowl).

Words cannot express my joy. :roll:

I don't celebrate Christmas - well, I wouldn't if I was alone or with my own family - but if I'm getting presents I'd really like something I'd... like. :|
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

A Kinect (awesome), lots of clothes (sweet), a metric shitton of food from my sister (free meals for a month!), and a Vibebox-turn-anything-into-a-speaker (what is this sorcery?).

I'm excited to get home and play with my new toys. :)
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Some clothing, and a pirated Twilight: Eclipse DVD.

As in a totally serious non-humorous gift from an uncle of mine.

No wonder I hate the bastard.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Clothes and tools. The latter of the two will go to fixing shit up around the house much more effectively than the rusty old garbage we have in the garage.

Also, hat.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

My wife caught me watching MLP:FIM and presented me with a Fluttershy for Christmas.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

Running gear, headband, gloves, running jacket (I'd just been using a generic windbreaker that didn't breathe quite as well as what ever materials sorcery they use in "official" running gear, plus of course the dayglo colors for low-light running).

Books, a trivial pursuit boardgame;

And Star Trek Fleet Captains. A small fleet skirmish game. [edit] I mean they're small fleets, not the game is small, It's a pretty big box actually[/edit]
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Starglider wrote:My wife caught me watching MLP:FIM and presented me with a Fluttershy for Christmas.
A little plastic toy or a custom plushie?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Starglider wrote:My wife caught me watching MLP:FIM and presented me with a Fluttershy petition for divorce for Christmas.
Fixed.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

for the kids construction toys were big this year. Legos, Lincoln Logs and even Tinker Toys (which still exist!) To go with the space themed Legos we also gave them astronaut ice cream. And a giant color-it-in-yourself cardboard space ship. For which the toy planetarium projector makes a great 'navigation computer'.

Santa Claus also brought me a new suit. LEGEN (wait for it) ...... dary.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Money. Which we really needed. The family chipped in and got us money. In addition to helping us get back on our feet, it is also enough to allow us to celebrate our wedding anniversary (just a bit late) in our accustomed style, for the first time in four years.

From work, a $25 bonus, three days in a row off, and a Christian-thought-a-day book (which I accepted in the spirit in which it was given, perhaps my spouse will be interested in it. Or maybe not.)

From friends, a fantastic dinner of turkey and ham plus more additional food than 10 people could eat, a couple cards to Best Buy (yay, I can get those DVD's I've been wanting), and a stuffed squirrel toy to commemorate the Rasputin Incident earlier this fall.

Importantly, I have a steady job that I like to do. Which enabled us to give presents to our friends and family for the first time in several years.

However, the best present I received this year was not any of that, nor was it something could hold in my hands. You see, one of my coworkers is homeless this Christmas, living in a shelter away from her family and her children due to terrible things happening in her life. I gave her one of the many blankets I've crocheted over the years. She told me that, not only is she now able to sleep warmly at night, but when she sees it she knows that, even cut off from those she loves, she is not alone in the world and she can believe there is hope for the future. Who would have thought such a little thing could mean so much? Her thank you made me feel like I had taken a little darkness from the world, and how often do we have the privilege of knowing that, because of something we did, the world is truly just a little bit better for someone?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Yo Broomie imma let you finish but this thread is about material goods. Please keep the sappiness and intangibles out of here? :P

Good on you, though.
XXXI
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

My loot consists of a $25 gift card to Papa John's, a $25 gift card to Red Lobster, a book on Nordic baking, hobnails for my winter boots, a copy of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, and CANDY!!1! :mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Let's see. My biggest present was a Kindle, which I'm really liking.

I also got a $40 wal-mart gift card, 2 $20 Liquor Mart gift cards, 8 shots, and a box of chocolates.

But the best part about today? I aced every single person's christmas gift this year. Everyone absolutely loved their gift from me. That was awesome.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Got something truly useful this year —a digital negative scanner. I made the switch to a DSLR 35mm camer last year but have a ton of negatives and prints from the period I was still shooting film. As soon as I get my last rolls processed, I can start converting all that material.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Hawkwings wrote:
Starglider wrote:My wife caught me watching MLP:FIM and presented me with a Fluttershy for Christmas.
A little plastic toy or a custom plushie?
The toy, but she also made herself a sexy fluttershy costume out of some spare fur and wings we had. Apparently she picked that character because that was the colour we had spare and 'she looked fun to roleplay'. Alas, she won't let me take pictures of her in any of the not-approved-for-public-places costumes.

I also received Ace Combat 7, which turned out to be junk, Skyrim, which I haven't played yet, and assorted DVDs, articles of clothing and sweets. Last year I gave my close family tablet PCs; this year I gave everyone three large tins of Mountain House 30-year freeze dried food. The supplier told me that he was getting a lot of orders from City of London financial people this year.