Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled." - Barnett Cocks, British political writer (1907-)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Translation Request Sticky PostPosted: 2012-06-14 09:49pm
Sith Devotee

cheers - the reason i didn't use an online dictionary (and I know them VERY well) is because I didn't want to get trapped with a word that is an exact translation but not actually how a native speaker would use it. It's for a word frequency survey, so picking equivalent words is more important then an exact translaton and i've been bitten by dictionary use in the past.

A rabid fox/ wanders the long dark night alone/ howling 'eek, water'!

The siege turtle plods/ up the hill above the trolls/ nightfall will shroud them

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Post subject: Re: Translation Request Sticky PostPosted: 2013-01-12 10:26pm
Sith Marauder

If anyone here speaks French adequately, I'm trying to finish the transition of the old Gene Kelly song 'I got Rhythm' into French. Mostly so I have one more thing to do the next time I get stuck subbing for a French class.

Most pressingly, a lyrical way of saying "who could ask for anything more?" the most common refrain. "green pastures" would be nice but is probably look-upable. If you feel like a challenge try and keep the chorus rhyming. "Old Man Trouble/I don't mind him/ You won't find him/ hanging 'round my door."

"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud