I´ve been robbed

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

I´ve been robbed

Post by Rogue 11 »

While I slept tonight unknown people found a way to enter my apartment (2 room one), and stole my HD projector, my X-box, my PC and about 10-12 X-box games, and a blue ray headset for my iPhone.

The only light spot is that they did not enter my bedroom and that´s where the most important and valuable stuff was hidden/stored.

But I´m really fucking pissed and I´m already for sick leave for medical concerns so concentration and ability to think is just about completely shot.

Cops have been here and dusted for fingerprints, we´ve contacted insurance and it´s promising that they are covering it. We´re currently upgrading and replacing the looks (Nothing was broken open, which is very odd.)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: I´ve been robbed

Post by PeZook »

Holy shit, man...this must've been a horrible thing to find out :/

I hope the guys are caught, though it all sounds pretty professional: if they didn't have to pry anything open, they knew what they were doing.

...or it was someone you know.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

Post by Rogue 11 »

PeZook wrote:Holy shit, man...this must've been a horrible thing to find out :/

I hope the guys are caught, though it all sounds pretty professional: if they didn't have to pry anything open, they knew what they were doing.

...or it was someone you know.
Actually my homeowner lost a basement key. He does so often and didn't think anything off it but we think he lost it outside this time. The basement is tied to my apartment. It can't be locked for safety reasons as an alternate escape route. Even if I had an alarm they wouldn't go through a door where that was an issue.

Basically it seems that they got in thanks to bad luck that I had no say in or no way to effect. Life just isn't fair. And based on what was stolen and what WASN'T stolen it wasn't professional (Or drugged up criminals either thankfully) but a bunch of young people who decided "Hey that's cool we want it." It seriously looks like it was stolen for personal use. Not resale. Like stealing 2 Xbox controller but oddly not the third. Or leaving certain games of a genre they obviously didn't like behind (Clearly not a fan of Ace combat or ace combat clones)

In other words, complete and utter assholes.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Well, if they're just drugged-up assholes who got lucky, then not all is lost: they might try connecting your console to Live :)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

Post by Rogue 11 »

PeZook wrote:Well, if they're just drugged-up assholes who got lucky, then not all is lost: they might try connecting your console to Live :)
Well probably not. AFAIK the Xbox doesn't bypass passwords, just remember them, and the first thing I did was borrow a computer to change every password on anything affected relating to money at all. Whether or not it was stored on the computer /Xbox or not. That included my live account. So unless I misunderstand how Live works they can't connect anymore. Also. We're pretty sure they weren't on drugs, the cops said that from all signs they were stressed (So not habitual criminals), but sober/clearheaded.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Rogue 11 wrote: Well probably not. AFAIK the Xbox doesn't bypass passwords, just remember them, and the first thing I did was borrow a computer to change every password on anything affected relating to money at all. Whether or not it was stored on the computer /Xbox or not. That included my live account. So unless I misunderstand how Live works they can't connect anymore. Also. We're pretty sure they weren't on drugs, the cops said that from all signs they were stressed (So not habitual criminals), but sober/clearheaded.
Hmm. Yeah, I don't know why I said they were drugged up. I guess I'm pretty tired.

The thing about Live is that if they try logging in with your account, even if the password bounces, the cops should be able to track the IP of the attempt.

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

That sucks, I had a homeless drunk dude wander into my living room and fall asleep on my couch. I KNEW him, I knew he didn't know what he was doing, and when i found him I wasn't a total asshole, but it was disconcerting that someone got into my apartment like that while i was asleep in the next room. I actually had started coffee and was carrying my towel to the shower before I noticed him just snoozin away :wtf:

Hopefully the homeowner will accept a little liability here and help you recover some of what was lost, especially considering he apparently loses keys often and doesn't change the locks. that's just asinine

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

Post by Rogue 11 »

Themightytom wrote:Hopefully the homeowner will accept a little liability here and help you recover some of what was lost, especially considering he apparently loses keys often and doesn't change the locks. that's just asinine
Homeowner is A: Family, B: tended to lose it INDOORS which is a major difference (It just meant he didn't raise any alarm over it), and C: Insurance is included in rent, so yeah I'm getting compensated.

Thankfully. As long as insurance doesn't make a stink.
Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

Post by Rogue 11 »

UPDATE!!!!

I found a huge screwdriver in the back of the couch which was not mine nor anyone in my family or friends who have visited. While I touched the metal bit before I realized what it was I have not touched anything else and put it in a plastic bag.

Police have been notified and it will be delivered at first opportunity.

And while I'm no police expert something which if they left fingerprints at all that can be CONFIRMED that they'd have touched and almost nobody else has to pretty case breaking evidence.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

In Australia if it is determined that intruders did not have to force their way in(viz they had a key or you left the door unlocked), insurance will laugh at you

At least this is the experience my ex's parents had a few years back.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

And my girlfriend thinks I'm paranoid that I insist the door is locked if one of us is not in sight of it.

I am sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you've had a hard week.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Rogue 11
Padawan Learner

Post by Rogue 11 »

DesertFly wrote:I am sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you've had a hard week.
Yeah. At this point with two major blows in rapid succession increasing in magnitude the bit of me that is superstitious is looking back over my shoulder wondering what is next.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Rogue 11 wrote:While I slept tonight unknown people found a way to enter my apartment (2 room one), and stole my HD projector, my X-box, my PC and about 10-12 X-box games, and a blue ray headset for my iPhone.

The only light spot is that they did not enter my bedroom and that´s where the most important and valuable stuff was hidden/stored.

But I´m really fucking pissed and I´m already for sick leave for medical concerns so concentration and ability to think is just about completely shot.

Cops have been here and dusted for fingerprints, we´ve contacted insurance and it´s promising that they are covering it. We´re currently upgrading and replacing the looks (Nothing was broken open, which is very odd.)
Dude, that sucks. However, you are not physically harmed which is good. Burglaries of two room apartments with tenants in it can sometimes turn ugly.

I live in a rather peaceful little town on the outskirts of Warsaw and the door is always locked, period.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

All of my paranoia came from moving into a residential college.

It does seem a little unprofessional, leaving your screw driver at a place you just robbed. One of my friends had his car broken into, and a football left there.
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

You didn't have Prey installed on your PC by any chance, did you?

Hope you had a backup of your data. The suckest part of my laptop getting stolen was losing all my data.