I salute my new feline overlord

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tolya
Jedi Council Member

I salute my new feline overlord

Post by Tolya »

We have a cat. We took her home today from the animal shelter. We originally planned a purebred, a Maine Coon or a Ragdoll, but we decided to go to the shelter. She's a young (in my estimation no more than 3 years old) tortoiseshell cat, quite calm, although very curious about her new surroundings (she jumped out of the transporter box as soon as we brought her home).

In her past she must have been a domestic cat. She knows how to use a cuvette and is sterilised.

We've always been more dog oriented (I had a cat once, but that relationship was limited to occupying the same house from time to time;), but with our current accomodations (small flat) and the fact that we are working we decided to have a cat.

Right now we are trying to make her feel welcome and set some limits: chairs at the dining table and our bed is off limits to her. Oh, and we just came up with a name for her: Fiona.

Any tips as to how to make the settle-in period as easy as possible?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: I salute my new feline overlord

Post by Mr Bean »

Make her a bed of some kind, pet her, play with her and generally get to know each other. There's no magic formula except figure out when the cat wants to be left alone and when she wants attention.

And if it starts sleeping on your keyboard then you know she's already made herself at home.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Well for starters I'd avoid flash photography as their eyes are sensitive. But other than that, Mr. Bean has it right.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

KITTY!

Sorry, about that, the sight of a cat does that to me.
Give her love. Let her know where the litter box is. And where the food will be. Do is constantly and on a consistent timetable and she'll understand that. Aside from that, make sure the cat is comfortable and scratch behind the ears, cats usually love that.
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

Yay another fellow feline slave I mean human being who's rescued a cat from a shelter. :D I picked up my cat from the RSPCA about six months ago, haven't looked back since.

Some things which helped for me
- Setting limits: a spray bottle was amazing. Use sparingly and only when you really really do not want the cat to do something. It's a painless and effective way of keeping cats off kitchen countertops and other places cats do not belong

- Grooming: get a metal curry brush, or something similar. Even short haired cats shed like crazy. Also a Dyson vacuum or anything with a motorized head for carpet is a godsend.

Don't forget to just have fun with the cat. :)
I know there is a method, but all I see is the madness.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Update: the cat is more silent than an Akula class submarine. If you don't see her, you will not hear her. Im trying to teach her not to get on the bed. The entire day she was sleeping on the sofa. Five minutes ago I turn my head (I have a computer next to the bed) and I see the cat just lying there. Amazing.
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

Tolya wrote:Im trying to teach her not to get on the bed.
Yeah, that's not going to work mate :P. Either shut the door to the bedroom, or be resigned to the fact that your bed = your overlord's bed.

I live in a loft style apartment, there are no doors. My cat made a beeline for my bed on the first night, and no amount of persuasion will get it to sleep elsewhere at nights. It started at the foot of the bed, then moved underneath the doona in the middle of winter, and now as it's warming up, it's migrated further up to my pillow. :evil: I don't mind the company, but I do mind turnning around in the middle of the night and encountering a faceful of furry cat rear end.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Dude, give it up on that one. All cats just love to sleep in YOUR bed. That's right, YOUR bed. Every cat I ever knew that liked its owner even a bit also loved to sleep in his bed, preferably together. A sure sign your cat likes you is that when you go to sleep it comes and cuddles up next to you all cute like. Don't resist it. Resistance is futile.

stray cat (tame) has adopted Tolya.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I'm pretty sure all companion animals like to sleep in beds, not just cats. My dog always jumped up into my bed at night, and took up a position on the floor near it when he was too old to make the jump.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Good luck trying to keep her off the bed.

Seriously, as far as they're concerned, it's their property, and you probably won't be able to keep her off it short of standing by it with a squirt bottle 24/7.

My advice: Just roll with it.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Yeah, and it's not like it's a dog where they'll get shit all over it or crush your legs or something. Cats are pretty nice space heaters for your feet.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

A cat will learn rules, but you have to economize. Stick to three or four rules, and try to make them reasonably practical (like "kitty does not get to walk around on the table while the hoomans eat"). Enforce them consistently by removing the cat from the protected object (or similar), escalate as needed. A piercing hiss at the cat works as a clear warning display, and if done right, spray bottles will be unnecessary. Cats like consistency and firmness in such situations; don't be wishy-washy.

Cats don't have a good memory of cause and effect. If you catch the cat doing something and punishment is merited, mete it out at that moment. A minute later, the cat will have no idea why you're being mean to it.

Body language is important, especially the eyes. A cat will stare at you with half-closed eyes to show affection and general coziness. Intent staring can be a lot of things. If there's a contest of wills, don't break the stare, but as soon as kitty wavers, the contest is settled and you won. The "slow blink" from a cat is as good a hint as purring; it means the cat really likes you.

Paring the claws is a skill of its own. De-clawing is barbaric and equivalent to cutting the first joint of a human's fingers. There are two sections to the claw; the outermost part is what you should cut, while deeper in the claw thickens and some capillaries are kept. Do not cut that.

Cats can bite for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it's used as a warning or a discouragement. Other times (when kitty's feeling particularly mellow and you scratch it on the belly, for instance) it's either play or cuddling, more or less instinctive kitten behaviour. This is not the cat being nasty -- this is the cat unaccountably convinced you've got fur to protect you against "gentle" biting.

Cats have hunting instincts, some of which are instinctive. They tend to attack cables, biting them in the "neck" to still the nasty serpentine threat. They also don't play well with domesticated rodents, because certain triggers can cause them to attack no matter how good buddies they are. Iguanas and cats go along just fine due to similar body language.

Cats don't like to be held motionless for too long. Some cats like to be scooped up and cuddled for a while, but they'll generally want to decide for themselves when to come up to you (often leading to hilarious drive-by behaviour).

Cats like to fuck with you to ensure your devotion. The list of underhanded tricks by cats in my apartment include:
  • Howling whenever she is bored.
  • Finding the most well-lit and scenic space and posing there.
  • Walking up to you and sitting just far enough away that you must move to scratch her.
  • Head-butting you out of love when all you want is to sleep.
  • Standing in front of the monitor and refusing to move.
  • Protesting in indignant fury when lifted (but not struggling or moving away).
  • Whacking a misguided peon on the hand for failing to scratch properly.
Good luck with your new master.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

In addition, if the tail starts whipping back and forth rapidly, stop what ever it is you're doing, and let her calm down. That's her little way of saying she's getting irritated with you.

If the ears go back, in addition to the tail, watch out, and move anything that doesn't like being bitten/scratched in a non-playful manner away from her. You may also want to get some bandaids ready.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Dendrobius
Mecha Fanboy

Post by Dendrobius »

Another couple of interesting cat points

- Clean that litterbox! Mine will refuse to use it after she's done a crap until I've cleaned it up. Leads to funny situations where I come home, see the litterbox is used, clean the crap, and a millisecond later the cat's dashed onto it to relieved itself.
- Seconding the claw trimming. All you need to do is take the very sharp tip off with a pair of nail clippers. Massively nerfs the damage potential of the cat's Vorpal Claws of Human and Furniture Rending(tm), without the bad effects of declawing.
- A good cat carry cage goes a long way. I use mine daily - my cat has a very bad habit of trying to eat MY food, so I usually invite it into the cage whilst I'm dining so that I don't get cat in my lap or cat head peering at me from the other side of my dish. It's also very handy when I'm cleaning my apartment to put the cat into the cage, keeps it out of harm's way when I'm using things like bleach, sugar soap, and other non-kitty friendly chemicals like that.
- If you have a good stereo system and a movie with lots of bird noises from various speakers, expect your cat to try and bust its way into the speaker to get at the tasty birds inside. :lol:
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Also, a little cat story.

About 6:30AM-ish, our cat was sitting in the windowstill of our living room, looking out through the screen. Another cat shows up, and starts taunting our indoor cat.

Long story short, said indoor cat managed to somehow get said screen out of its frame, and do a runner after said intruder. We caught him relatively quickly, but it wasn't fun catching a cat at 6:30AM. Did I mention said screen had been painted into the frame by the previous owners?

This happened again, a few weeks later. Only he tried to do the same to a screen door!

Moral of the story: Make sure all your screens are securely fastened in their frames.

I can provide a picture of said frame AFTER it had been bounced from it's home.

—anonymous

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Eleas wrote: Cats can bite for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it's used as a warning or a discouragement. Other times (when kitty's feeling particularly mellow and you scratch it on the belly, for instance) it's either play or cuddling, more or less instinctive kitten behaviour. This is not the cat being nasty -- this is the cat unaccountably convinced you've got fur to protect you against "gentle" biting.
Note on the biting. You'll know warnings from affection. Affection is more gnawing while warnings are quick snaps. Don't worry if it does this because seriously, if the cat wants to draw blood(read: you don't take the hint 10 times running), it will.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yeah, believe me, you'll know when your overlord wants to make a point to you.

She'll make it very clearly and simply.

—anonymous

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Oh, I forget. You should get a scratching post of some kind. Much better than getting it randomly chosen by a bored feline.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

In my experience, cats tend to prefer sofas to actual scratching posts.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Get a post with catnip, spray the bastards when they scratch things they're not supposed to, it'll work out.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Hopefully.

Personally, they seem to prefer doing it to the carpets and sofas over a scratching post, but try lacing it with catnip.

My advice: make your own, if you've the necessary space to build it. I've done it before, and they're cheap to make. Just some cheap carpet, some wood, and a few nails, and you'll be set.

—anonymous

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Of course 95% of damage is avoided if you're diligent with clipping the nails.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Just be wary.

Most cats... dislike having their nails tripped by the hired help. My cat freaks anytime it sees us with scissors, and that makes catching him a challenge to say the least.

—anonymous

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Why the hell would you trim the cat's nails with scissors? Use some claw trimmers or fingernail clippers.

At any rate, it's just something you need to get the cat into the habit of. Give her a treat after it's all done.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

He was a barn cat, so we figure that something happened to him when he was a kitten or something. We use clippers and have no idea why he's terrified about scissors.

Yeah, give her treats afterwards, and you'll be fine.

—anonymous