NFL 2011

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: NFL 2011

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:Payton's done.
I doubt it unless the League somehow forces him out, which would be unprecedented. If the Saints fired him he'd land another HC job in about half an hour.

By the way, I remember a few years ago when the Patriots were outed for cheating and I was flamed thoroughly for saying that in terms of cheating, spying on upcoming opponents is pretty small potatoes.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Best options for Manning: Arizona, Baltimore, Houston and San Francisco.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Baltimore? :lol:

No way would we ever invest in a 36 year old QB who might not survive another neck collision. Especially when he would kill our cap to boot.

From the team website:
The Colts have parted ways with Peyton Manning, meaning that the future Hall of Fame quarterback is set to hit the open market.

Despite missing all of last season following a series of neck procedures, Manning is expected to draw significant interest from several teams across the league.

Just don’t expect the Ravens to be one of them.

The thought that the Ravens would go after 35-year-old Manning while they have Joe Flacco on the roster is laughable to General Manager Ozzie Newsome.

Literally.
Houston got Schaub and Yates, San Francisco got Alex Smith who Jim Harbaugh apparently likes. Arizona and Miami are the favorites so far IMO. Well, and maybe the Jets. :lol:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I said best option for Manning, not for the teams. And he could come into camp and win the job by a fucking landslide.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Maybe he could, but none of the teams you listed except for Arizona will give him the chance.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh Thanas. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:Oh Thanas. :lol:
This is in reference to what?

BTW

After 14 seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Wide Receiver Hines Ward was released on Wednesday. It didn't take him long to find a home though, as the 4 time Pro Bowler signed with the rival Baltimore Ravens with an incentive laden 3 year, $9 million contract.

"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I viciously tried to block this release like I have viciously blocked the Ravens for so many years" Ward joked, "but now I guess I'll be viciously blocking for the Ravens."
More info at the link.

:D
------------
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I'm not surprised the Steelers let him go. His YAC has been dropping since 2010, and he's visibly slowing down in his routes. The Steelers have never been the type of team to keep a player around after he's declining as a back-bencher, and it's doubtful he'd have taken the salary cut that would entail anyway.

Not sure why the Ravens picked him up, except maybe as a "fuck you" to the Steelers.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Terralthra wrote:I'm not surprised the Steelers let him go. His YAC has been dropping since 2010, and he's visibly slowing down in his routes. The Steelers have never been the type of team to keep a player around after he's declining as a back-bencher, and it's doubtful he'd have taken the salary cut that would entail anyway.
He was willing to take a paycut, but the Steelers were not even willing to keep him around at the league minimum.
Not sure why the Ravens picked him up, except maybe as a "fuck you" to the Steelers.
Follow the link and you will see why...
------------
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

:D Well, it got me...but apparently I'm not alone:
WPXI wrote:NFL fans watching WPXI yesterday morning were surprised to hear anchor Todd McDermott report that Hines Ward, a receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, had signed with the rival Baltimore Ravens.

“We’re a little in shock,” McDermott told co-anchor Jennifer Abney.

McDermott was right to be in shock, because the news — which originated from BroCouncil.com — was not true. In a spoof report, the website said Ward had signed an “incentive-laden 3-year $9 million contract;” the article quoted Ward as saying, “I viciously tried to block this release like I have viciously blocked the Ravens for so many years.”

McDermott corrected himself on the air just 17 minutes later, saying, “We got fooled by a Baltimore Ravens spoof website that said Hines Ward had signed with the Ravens. That can’t happen.”

WPXI news director Mike Goldrick told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the station “erroneously used information from a spoof website.”

“We promise to be more vigilant and tighter measures have been but in place,” he said.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hey Elfdart, how do you feel about your QB being a santorum buttboy?
Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum has an NFL quarterback on his team: Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers.

"I am supporting Rick Santorum for president because of his stance on issues that attack vital Christian values our country was founded upon: no abortion, upholding traditional marriage, defending religious freedom, no euthanasia,” Rivers said in a press release from the campaign.

Adding that Santorum "will also fight to create jobs and expand opportunities for all Americans," the QB said, "[I'll] do what I can to help him secure the Republican nomination for president of the United States."
------------
------------
My LPs
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

As a Giants fan, I can only say "Thank God for Ernie Accorsi!"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:Hey Elfdart, how do you feel about your QB being a santorum buttboy?
The same way I felt when I heard that Dean Spanos gave $150,000 to Rick Perry. See below (0:34):

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Is buttboy really an acceptable epithet to be tossed around here?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Would it be any different from referring to him as one of Santorum's bitches?

And it is quite apparent that Rivers suffered way too many hard hits this year, a Santorum endorsement is equivalent to a big flashing sign that says "WE NEED A NEW O-LINE."

What's scariest of all is that Teebus Christus hasn't come out and thrown his faith around yet in this election, I guess he is too busy praying right now that Peyton Manning doesn't take his job.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Looks like Peyton was just the tip of iceberg; the Colts jettsioned Addai, Clark, Brackett, Bullitt, and Painter, and Freeney is reportedly on the trading block.

Now the Rams have reportedly traded their number 2 pick to the Redskins for the number 6 pick, their second round pick this year, as well as their first-round picks in 2013 and 2014. I was a bit surprised that the Rams dropped all the way down to sixth, but with two extra first rounders, who cares, right?
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Well the Skins had to offer everything they could otherwise Cleveland, with two first rounders this year, was probably going to jump in to get RG3. Indy had better hope Luck goes above and beyond the hype because I see them being poised to be pretty bad for at least one or two years.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Would it be any different from referring to him as one of Santorum's bitches?

And it is quite apparent that Rivers suffered way too many hard hits this year, a Santorum endorsement is equivalent to a big flashing sign that says "WE NEED A NEW O-LINE."
No, he's always been a fundie catholic. It would take more than revamping the O-line to fix that.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Quorthon wrote:Looks like Peyton was just the tip of iceberg; the Colts jettsioned Addai, Clark, Brackett, Bullitt, and Painter, and Freeney is reportedly on the trading block.

Now the Rams have reportedly traded their number 2 pick to the Redskins for the number 6 pick, their second round pick this year, as well as their first-round picks in 2013 and 2014. I was a bit surprised that the Rams dropped all the way down to sixth, but with two extra first rounders, who cares, right?
:shock:

Two firsts and a second for moving down 4 places? This is the biggest screw since the Saints gave up their entire draft for Ricky Williams!
:lol:

Given the way Snyder runs the Redskins, those 1st-rounders are going to be early picks too.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Elfdart wrote:
Darth Quorthon wrote:Looks like Peyton was just the tip of iceberg; the Colts jettsioned Addai, Clark, Brackett, Bullitt, and Painter, and Freeney is reportedly on the trading block.

:shock:

Two firsts and a second for moving down 4 places? This is the biggest screw since the Saints gave up their entire draft for Ricky Williams!
:lol:

Given the way Snyder runs the Redskins, those 1st-rounders are going to be early picks too.
It'd be kind of nice for the Rams if this worked out like the Hershel Walker trade worked out for the Cowboys. Then again, the Cardinals are in the same division so I guess I should hope that the Rams don't know how to draft. :D

Still, it'd be worth it to see the Rams create a new top tier team on the back of Daniel Snyder. :twisted:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Elfdart wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Would it be any different from referring to him as one of Santorum's bitches?

No, he's always been a fundie catholic. It would take more than revamping the O-line to fix that.
He is Catholic? That makes sense, because he is a lot like the pope. They can both make a stadium filled with people yell "JESUS CHRIST!"

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What is of equal crazy value: The Jets just extended Sanchez through 2017.

6th highest paid QB. Getting about 12 million a year.

Oh Rex, did you just snort coke from your wife's feet or what?
According to NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora, the Jets are now into Sanchez for up to $58.25 million (with $20.5 million fully guaranteed) over the next five seasons. That's a steep financial commitment for a player whose development slowed to a crawl in his third full season as a starter.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I wonder if these moves by the Jets and Redskins mean that Peyton Manning gave them both the big "fuck you"?

I have to echo Tsyroc's sentiment about the Rams trade. I'm kind of a closet Rams fan, I was pissed when they moved, but I still secretly cheered them on and I hope they can emerge from the funk they've been in.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Darth Quorthon wrote:I wonder if these moves by the Jets and Redskins mean that Peyton Manning gave them both the big "fuck you"?
I would tend to think so. He'd have to be crazy to go to the Jets. They've proved to be rather disfunctional and underachieving. Plus, I doubt he'd want to be playing in the same city as Eli.

I'm not as sure with the Redskins except that I doubt Peyton wants to be playing in the same division as his brother.

I'd kind of like Peyton to come to Arizona but I know the Cardinals have a lot of issues that they really need to deal with and if they fork out the big bucks for Peyton I can't see them doing as much as they really need to. He might be enough to get them pretty far but I'd rather see them build something for a little long term success. If they don't I don't like their odds in the NFC West a few years down the road. The other teams in the division seem to be taking a more long term approach.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Assuming that coaches and or owners weren't detracting from either of those situations, I think you're right about the Eli thing. Although to be honest I don't think the Jets would have been a bad fit because Manning could have done a much better job of managing the offense. I honestly hope he ends up with the 49ers, not to fuck over Alex Smith but the Niners are the best chance of the West Coast having a legitimate contending franchise and maybe we get some better coverage outside of the NFC and AFC East plus wherever it is Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees are playing.