OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: NFL 2011

Post by Thanas »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Thanas wrote:If it makes you feel better I will therefore always add a little * at the end of whenever I refer to rapistberger. Like this: Ben Rapistberger* sucks, and this is why....
I only brought it up because you appear have a different standard for people not convicted of crimes who aren't named Ray Lewis.
I don't and I already told you so via PM. So how about you drop that right now?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote: I don't and I already told you so via PM. So how about you drop that right now?
my previous post wrote: However, as is everyone else it appears, I am more than happy to leave this tangent behind
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No. You don't get to whine about double standards when I already explained to you that there are no double standards employed by me here. I don't care if you call Lewis a murderer - I personally do not think he is but that is my personal opinion.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Do you think it is fair when people call Ray Lewis a murderer?
Thanas wrote:He was never charged for it nor was it ever clear that he stabbed somebody. Completely different from this situation.

I don't blame people who decide not to root for him though.

Followed by:

Darth Fanboy wrote:I would interpret that as even worse then, because Ray wasn't even charged with the stabbing and he still has that label on him today. Plus, last I checked, Ben Roethlisberger was never charged either, but you don't seem to give him the same favorable opinion you have for Lewis.

I'm not saying you have to like the guy by any means, hell I don't care if you hope he has to go up against a Gregg Williams defense. But let's be honest, the idea that an accusation is in and of itself enough to label a guy for life without anything further is pretty shitty.
Thanas wrote: He was sued several times in civil court though. And the circumstances are far less favorable to him than they are to Lewis.
To review, at this point. You've made the determination that the Lewis label is unfair because he wasn't charged. I do note that you are not trying to defend him as a person and am not taking that into consideration. When it's pointed out though that Roethlisberger was never charged either, the "circumstances" and being sued in civil court "several times" are enough to make labeling him fair.

Moving on to your next post:
Thanas wrote: No, not really. I think Ben Rapistberger is a rapist (not a convicted one, but one nonetheless) in much the same way I think OJ Simpson is a murderer (again, not a convicted one).
First of all the OJ Simpson point is a good one, I don't know too many people that don't consider him a murderer, but the difference being there is that his civil case was actually found against his favor, whereas to my knowledge Ben's civil case (the first one) is still ongoing. There is also evidence in that case in Ben's favor where his accuser apparently made statements to a third party (a female friend of the accuser who made a sworn statement to the court) that she was not only looking to hook up with him, but also to become pregnant by him.

At this point you acknowledge the mistake about there being "several civil suits". So at this point we have only one civil suit plus another incident where no charges were even filed. You also at this point make the valid statement that you stand by your opinion of Roethlisberger's character. Which I completely accept and do not fault you for. That doesn't change that I think you are mistakenly holding Lewis and Roethlisberger to different standards. We are free to disagree on that in a drama free way.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Fanboy wrote:First of all the OJ Simpson point is a good one, I don't know too many people that don't consider him a murderer, but the difference being there is that his civil case was actually found against his favor, whereas to my knowledge Ben's civil case (the first one) is still ongoing.
It is not. He settled it for an undisclosed amount a while ago. Lewis also settled his out of court, but then again I've already stated to you in PM what I think of him personally and besides, he had one allegation. Roethlissberger had two plus numerous other statements from women who say he dropped trout in front of them and grabbed their private parts. The level of complaints is on a whole other plane here with #7 than it is with #52.
You also at this point make the valid statement that you stand by your opinion of Roethlisberger's character. Which I completely accept and do not fault you for. That doesn't change that I think you are mistakenly holding Lewis and Roethlisberger to different standards. We are free to disagree on that in a drama free way.
Fair enough.
------------
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

[quote="Thanas" he dropped trout [/quote]
Trou, short for trousers, not the fish. Just fyi since colloquialisms have always been a pain in the ass for me in languages other than english.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Darth Fanboy wrote:However, as is everyone else it appears, I am more than happy to leave this tangent behind and get on to what is most important during the offseason here in Sunny Southern California the last few years, and that's laughing at the Chargers, something even Charger fans do on a regular basis.
Thanks a lot!

AJ Smith thinks that signing Robert Meacham is going to make up for losing Vincent Jackson. Looking at Meacham's stats, he's barely a replacement for #4 receiver Patrick Crayton.
:banghead:

On the other hand, I'm prepared to cut The Lord of No Rings a little slack for poaching Jarret Johnson from the Ravens and Le'Ron McClain from the Chiefs!
:twisted:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:NICE! Kept Rogers! Starting defense is intact. Awesome.

We did lose Morgan to the Redskins. I hope he gets a better chance to showcase his skills there. Not likely as I have RG3 pegged as bust status. People are expecting Cam and I don't think they are going to even get Colt McCoy.
Looks like your team is in the Peyton Manning derby, too.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Cards are out of the Manning derby and have paid Kolb his $7 million roster bonus.

Now I just hope they fill some of their need spots now that they aren't shelling out for Manning.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Please continue in the new thread
------------
------------
My LPs