NFL 2011

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

NFL 2011

Post by Havok »

A proper thread for a real season.

First news is that Alex Smith is for sure going to be back. I am looking forward to him under Harbaugh with what is his last chance as anything more than a back up and a a bust. I am hoping that the adversary he has faced is something that he can indeed overcome in a Steve Young like fashion.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: NFL 2011

Post by weemadando »

Raven's just dropped an axe on Heap, Mason, McGahee and Gregg.

Injury issues aside, Heap has been THE clutch player for the Raven's O forever. Sad to see him go.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

weemadando wrote:Raven's just dropped an axe on Heap, Mason, McGahee and Gregg.

Injury issues aside, Heap has been THE clutch player for the Raven's O forever. Sad to see him go.
Not that the spiteful, bitter fan in me isn't happy to see Willis hit the pavement, but why Kelly Gregg?
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Getting old on a pricey contract.

I reckon they'll try to rehire these guys at a discount.

Except for Willis.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Holy crap.

The reports say the Ravens will cut:

- Heap (NOOOOOOOOO)
- Mason (ditto)
- Gregg (what?)
- McGahee (expected move)

I really hope they resign at least Heap to a new contract with lower figures because really, he was Flacco's go-to guy. Dickson and Pitta have been training under him for three years but still, I'd feel much more reassured if Heap was there to get guidance.

And with Mason and Housh gone, the only receiver with experience and proven qualities we have is Anquan Boldin. I like Torrey Smith and Doss, but we need more experienced receivers. Yes, David Reed is in there as well and he is a good player, but he has only played on special teams so far.

In other news, this leaves the ravens with close to 20mil capspace. I am excited what they will spend this on.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Look for them to make a push for Nnamdi. You put him on the field with Sugar, Reed, Ngata, Landry and Suggs and you can resign Trent Dilfer to QB because you have the 2000 Ravens D all over again. Oh wait... you guys have an offense now. :lol: That would be a dangerous fucking team.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:Look for them to make a push for Nnamdi. You put him on the field with Sugar, Reed, Ngata, Landry and Suggs and you can resign Trent Dilfer to QB because you have the 2000 Ravens D all over again. Oh wait... you guys have an offense now. :lol: That would be a dangerous fucking team.
Man, you know I would love to see a backfield composed of Reed, Nmandi, Smith/Foxworth and Landry, but I don't think it can happen. Look at the things that need to be done:
- bidding wars in the O-Line - Yanda will cost to retain and we need him. And that is without all the other guys we will lose already - Gaither
- signing Ngata to a long term deal (would actually save cap space though)
- pass rush - might need a FA there

and then we got all the other things:
- Wide receiver: Only Boldin has experience. Not a good situation to be in.
- Signing our draft picks and UFA (Smith especially will not come that cheap)
- Fullback situation - McClain might not be back
- Running back - who is going to be our backup now to Ray Rice?

So I really do not thing we can pay more than 8-10 millions to Nmandi and I doubt he would play for that when other teams will over him nearly double that number.

EDIT: If we get him, then I will sacrifice at the Altar of Newsome though.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Don't underestimate the draw of Lewis and Reed, and going from one of the worst lockerrooms, to one of the best.

No way he goes to Dallas as people are saying.

Also, lock Nnamdi on the best reciever, and you just manufactured more time for your pass rush, and it frees up Reed.

He can help every team in the league, but he makes the Ravens AWESOME.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, that's the dream scenario. It's also the fact that we need a changing of the guard and Nmandi as an eventual Reed successor out back with Suggs looking like stepping up for Ray...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:Don't underestimate the draw of Lewis and Reed, and going from one of the worst lockerrooms, to one of the best.
Worth 10 mil a year? Nmandi would have to be very, very idealistic to do that.

No way he goes to Dallas as people are saying.
Dallas is waaaay over cap anyway. They cannot afford him. Or did you mean Houston who currently seem to be the one with the money and the pursuit of him?
Also, lock Nnamdi on the best reciever, and you just manufactured more time for your pass rush, and it frees up Reed.

He can help every team in the league, but he makes the Ravens AWESOME.
I know. It is a nice dream and him with Smith might be the Starks/MacAllister combo everybody misses in Baltimore, but still.
------------
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thanas wrote:
Havok wrote:Don't underestimate the draw of Lewis and Reed, and going from one of the worst lockerrooms, to one of the best.
Worth 10 mil a year? Nmandi would have to be very, very idealistic to do that.
It's not just that. It's having a defence around you that lets you shine - you have chances to look amazing while not still having a solid enough defence around you that your learning experiences don't lose matches.

Combine that with the kind of direct learning that you can get from having Reed as your mentor?

His management would probably want him to go a 2-3 years deal with the Ravens with a view to getting him some solid development and then hit hte market with a way higher value.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

He already has the highest value of all cornerbacks on the market and nobody is going to pay more than 18mil (the current reported number) for him anyway. And learning experience....that guy is 30. I doubt he wants more learning opportunities.

If Nnamdi comes to Baltimore, I would be very surprised. That said, the steelers would crap a brick, so I hope it happens. I am just not confident about the chances of it happening in the first place.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

To be honest, I am still steamed about Heap being let go, especially if his pride will not let him come back on a reduced salary. He could still play for up to four years IMO...and without him, our postseason last year would have sucked.
------------
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thanas wrote:He already has the highest value of all cornerbacks on the market and nobody is going to pay more than 18mil (the current reported number) for him anyway. And learning experience....that guy is 30. I doubt he wants more learning opportunities.

If Nnamdi comes to Baltimore, I would be very surprised. That said, the steelers would crap a brick, so I hope it happens. I am just not confident about the chances of it happening in the first place.

FFFFUUUUU

I must be thinking of someone else.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

weemadando wrote:FFFFUUUUU

Nnamdi was thrown at just 27 times last season, or just about twice per game he was in. And allowed just 10 recpetions on those passes. Yeah, he's that good.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Here is my prediction: If we cut Foxworth we will sign Asomogha. Because then we got 6 million more room and can offer him an adequate salary. and foxworth has not done much for us anyways...
------------
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

starslayer wrote:
weemadando wrote:FFFFUUUUU

Nnamdi was thrown at just 27 times last season, or just about twice per game he was in. And allowed just 10 recpetions on those passes. Yeah, he's that good.
No, I was thinking of a 2nd/3rd year guy... Or maybe my conception of Nnamdi was stuck in a timeloop.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

HOLY CRAP.

Negotiations:
RG Marshall Yanda to the Redskins (LaConfora) or back to the Ravens (Matt Williamson, ESPN)

CB Nnamdi Asomugha to the Ravens (Bill Barnwell, Grantland/ESPN)
Before I was not sure, but after hearing that Ngata's renegotiated contract might free up another 4 mil and with cutting the four players....goddamn it, Ozzie might pull that one off.
------------
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Looks like the promise of a ring worthy team might be holding onto some guys.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Where is our smugdog smiley? :lol:

No, seriously, I hope this happens. I love the Ravens, and especially their D. If he isn't coming to SF or staying in Oakland, I want him on THAT D in Baltimore. I want to see them rape Rothelisburger (no pun intended) stomp on Peyton and smack Brady around. I want to see what Nnamdi can do with a defensive scheme more complicated than "Everyone, cover your guy."

With Pittsburg aging rapidly, the Bengals falling apart as usual, and the Browns being... the Browns, The Ravens should have this division locked up.

Shit, you guys have skullfracture coming back this year as well. Man... I can't wait to watch some Ravens games.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

P.S. Is it bad, I can't even remember who we drafted?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Also, I wish death on Mike Brown for the sake of all Bengals fans.
Mike Brown wrote:"Carson signed a contract. He made a commitment. He gave his word," Brown said. "We relied on his word. We relied on his commitment. We expected him to perform here. He's going to walk away from his commitment. We aren't going to reward him for doing it."
Really? I guess Mike Brown never cut a player before. :roll:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Looks like old man Hasselbeck is a free agent now. Maybe the Seecocks can get a decent QB now.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

They are getting Tavaris Jackson from the Vikings and Matt Leinart.

I think the Leinart move is good for him and the organization. I don't think the current staff in Arizona knows what to do with a developmental QB. Carroll already knows Leinart well and he will be in a system he recognizes if not knows, and will be paired up with one of his favorite receiving targets in the rejuvenated Mike Williams. Carroll has an open competition policy as well, so look for Lienart to be able to complete against Whitehurst and Jackson, as they are not in the hunt for Kolb.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)