NFL 2011

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: NFL 2011

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote: Have you read much about the case?
Yes, I also read the part where he was acquitted.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20070431

Alright then, not rapist but "guy who carried a passed-out women into his bedroom and then said the victim was ready".
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

[redacted] apparently agrees with the cartoonishly evil "it's not rape, she was just so blacked-out drunk she doesn't remember having sex with me or consenting to it."
Last edited by Dalton on 2012-03-13 10:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've removed the name of the member mentioned here. Repugnant, vile and completely false accusations will not be tolerated.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I read up on it. There are no witnesses for her and three for Cox, including his girlfriend at the time that claimed she had sex with her that night too.
The girl lied about being drunk the night it happened, and for some mysterious reason, erased text messages that may have cast doubt on Cox's version of events, that being consensual sex.

Honestly, it sounds like this girl had some drunk consensual sex, wishes she hadn't and unfortunately got pregnant in the process. It happens often actually.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote:http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20070431

Alright then, not rapist but "guy who carried a passed-out women into his bedroom and then said the victim was ready".
Which you know firsthand reliably I am sure.

I'm not going to argue he's a top notch first class gentleman, but at what point can someone accused of rape shed the label? Do you think it is fair when people call Ray Lewis a murderer?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Post removed by author.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2012-03-13 10:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:I read up on it. There are no witnesses for her
Except for Thomas.

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Thanas wrote:http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20070431

Which you know firsthand reliably I am sure.
No, which I know due to Thomas testimony, unless you suggest he is lying.
I'm not going to argue he's a top notch first class gentleman, but at what point can someone accused of rape shed the label?
Somebody who had this going on?. Pobably never.
CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (AP) -- Jurors in the sexual assault trial of former Denver Broncos cornerback Perrish Cox on Thursday saw video of him expressing shock that the alleged victim was pregnant and that he was accused of raping her.

Cox is accused of sexually assaulting a woman in his apartment over Labor Day weekend 2010. Both the prosecution and defense rested their cases Thursday morning, and the jury deliberated for about four hours before leaving for the day, after closing arguments concluded early in the afternoon.

In the portion of a videotaped interview that detectives did with Cox the night he was arrested, Lone Tree Police Department Detective Steve Hipp informs Cox that his DNA indicates he impregnated the woman. Cox then sits back and says, "Are you serious?"

"I never raped nobody," Cox told the detective as both spoke in loud voices. "I'm losing it because, seriously, I never touched this girl."

The interview ends with Cox asking: "I'm going to jail? You're kidding me. What am I supposed to do? I didn't."

Later, Hipp testified that he took Cox to a holding cell where Cox later asked him, "What if she jumped on me when I was passed out?"

Cox also told the detectives that another girl, Carthy Che, a woman he was dating at the time, was also at the apartment. He said he could have had sex with her if he wanted sex.

Cox was arrested after the alleged victim realized she was pregnant and contacted police. The woman testified Wednesday, saying she had a fuzzy memory of what happened that night and suspected she had been drugged after waking up feeling sick the next day.

Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas also testified Wednesday, describing how Cox carried the sleeping woman into his bedroom and told Thomas: "She's ready."

Cox is being tried on one count of sexual assault while the victim was physically helpless and one count of sexual assault while the victim was incapable of determining the nature of the conduct. He faces two years to life in prison if convicted. He did not testify.

Prosecutors Chris Gallo and Bob Chappell presented a straightforward case: Although the woman can't recall having sex that night, she became pregnant and Cox's DNA matched the fetus.

"He can't escape it. He can't escape the science," Gallo said in his closing argument. "Whether her judgment should have been better, it is what it is.

"Whatever happened at the apartment that night, wasn't her wilI. ... I submit to you, what that something was, was a sexual assault committed by this man."

Cox's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, has sought to paint a picture of drunkenness, two young women who couldn't remember parts of the night and failed sexual relations between Thomas and the woman. He has also suggested that sexual relations took place between Che and the woman.

"Let's just call this what it is. These were a couple of party girls," he said in his closing argument.

He also told jurors that just because the woman didn't remember having sex doesn't mean rape occurred.

The Associated Press is not naming the woman because she is the alleged victim of a sex crime.

Both Thomas and the woman testified that they kissed during a car ride to Cox's apartment from a nightclub and then kissed again while on an air mattress in Cox's living room. The woman said she doesn't remember much after kissing Thomas.

Under questioning from Cox's attorney, the woman said she suspected something happened and that if it had been with Thomas, she wouldn't have considered it rape.

"It wouldn't have been fine but I wouldn't have seen it as rape if he admitted it," she said, referring to Thomas.

She said she went to a hospital the next day, but left before police could arrive and collect evidence because she didn't want to falsely accuse anybody when she wasn't sure something happened.

Thomas testified that Cox carried the sleeping woman to his bed and told Thomas, "I think she's ready." Steinberg objected, arguing Thomas hadn't used the "she's ready" phrase in a previous interview. He asked for a mistrial, but District Judge Paul King declined.

Under questioning by Steinberg, Thomas said he sent the woman a text the next day to ask if she remembered what happened, which the woman told police she found suspicious. Thomas said he sent the text after Cassius Vaughn, Cox's roommate who was asleep in the apartment during the alleged assault, told him at the Broncos' practice facility that Che and the accuser "had a girl on girl action."

Do you think it is fair when people call Ray Lewis a murderer?
He was never charged for it nor was it ever clear that he stabbed somebody. Completely different from this situation.

I don't blame people who decide not to root for him though.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Terralthra wrote:I'm trying to figure out how a jury returned a not guilty verdict in the Cox case.

Prosecution's argument: "She doesn't remember having sex, but now she's pregnant with his baby. There was clearly nonconsensual sex at some point."
Defense's argument: "She was just to drunk to remember the sex."

If she was too drunk to remember having sex, she'd be too drunk to consent to sex...so it's still rape. Was the jury all drunk too?
Uh, not how it works.
They have to show it was non consensual. Especially since she was the only one saying it wasn't with two people involved were saying it was consensual.
The fact that she doesn't remember consenting doesn't prove anything and doesn't mean it wasn't given.

If it did, drunk drivers wouldn't be allowed to sign tickets or give statements while drunk. They are giving their consent and signing legal documents for taking blood, acknowledging wrong doing etc.. If they can't remember giving consent the next day is too bad for them.
In fact they would get off all the time.
"I was drunk and don't remember driving so I must have been forced against my will to do it."
That doesn't fly.

And fucking PLEASE, being too drunk to remember sex does not mean you are too drunk to consent. :lol: If it were, I would have been raped many times.

It's too bad that some people, not necessarily this case, take their regret over bad decisions and situations they put themselves in, take it to a level that destroys the reputation of other people.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

In any case, I think this boils down to:

a) Is anybody incapacitated capable of giving consent?
b) Is somebody who is not incapacitated but has sex with unconscious women a rapist?

I would answer no to the first and yes to the second.

Also Hav, what do you think of Thomas testimony? He flat out states the person was completely out of it when it happened.
------------
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Havok wrote:I read up on it. There are no witnesses for her and three for Cox, including his girlfriend at the time that claimed she had sex with her that night too.
The girl lied about being drunk the night it happened, and for some mysterious reason, erased text messages that may have cast doubt on Cox's version of events, that being consensual sex.

Honestly, it sounds like this girl had some drunk consensual sex, wishes she hadn't and unfortunately got pregnant in the process. It happens often actually.
Being drunk means you can not consent to sex.

e.g. California Penal Code:
(3) Where a person is prevented from resisting by any intoxicating
or anesthetic substance, or any controlled substance, and this
condition was known, or reasonably should have been known by the
accused.
If she consented drunkenly and he knew she was drunk when they had sex, it's rape.

That is the defense's argument, that she was too drunk to know what was going on or remember it.

If she was actually passed out drunk (as all of the witnesses agree she was, per the news reports):
(A) Was unconscious or asleep.
(B) Was not aware, knowing, perceiving, or cognizant that the act
occurred.
If she's drunk and passed out when they had sex, it's rape.
Havok wrote:And fucking PLEASE, being too drunk to remember sex does not mean you are too drunk to consent. If it were, I would have been raped many times.
The law states otherwise.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Thanas wrote:
Havok wrote:I read up on it. There are no witnesses for her
Except for Thomas.
I guess you could call him a witness for her. He says he left when she passed out and that Cox took her into the bedroom saying "She's ready.". Knowing drunk males as I do, this could be just as easily and likely a drunken joke in poor taste as an invitation for a group rape.

There is also this...
Denver Post wrote:Then there was testimony about a text message from Cox's then-roommate, Cassius Vaughn-also a Broncos player — to Thomas after the alleged assault.

In the message, Vaughn said that by leaving Cox's apartment early that morning, Thomas had missed some "girl-on-girl action" between the alleged victim and Che, casting further doubt on the woman's claims of sexual assault.

According to courtroom testimony, when the accuser showed police a series of text messages from Thomas, she had deleted those relating to alleged sexual contact with Che.

Vaughn was on the witness list, but the prosecution did not to call him to testify.
She destroyed evidence before talking to police and Vaughn was probably going to testify to whatever was happening that night being very consensual, which is why the prosecution didn't call him to testify.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Havok wrote:I guess you could call him a witness for her. He says he left when she passed out and that Cox took her into the bedroom saying "She's ready.". Knowing drunk males as I do, this could be just as easily and likely a drunken joke in poor taste as an invitation for a group rape.
Given that sex obviously happened I am more leaning towards the latter.

She destroyed evidence before talking to police
I fail to see what the continued existence of some girl-ongirl text suggest other than that it happened. It is utterly immaterial to the issue here.
and Vaughn was probably going to testify to whatever was happening that night being very consensual, which is why the prosecution didn't call him to testify.
Thats conjecture.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote:
Do you think it is fair when people call Ray Lewis a murderer?
He was never charged for it nor was it ever clear that he stabbed somebody. Completely different from this situation.

I don't blame people who decide not to root for him though.
I would interpret that as even worse then, because Ray wasn't even charged with the stabbing and he still has that label on him today. Plus, last I checked, Ben Roethlisberger was never charged either, but you don't seem to give him the same favorable opinion you have for Lewis.

I'm not saying you have to like the guy by any means, hell I don't care if you hope he has to go up against a Gregg Williams defense. But let's be honest, the idea that an accusation is in and of itself enough to label a guy for life without anything further is pretty shitty.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Plus, last I checked, Ben Roethlisberger was never charged either
He was sued several times in civil court though. And the circumstances are far less favorable to him than they are to Lewis.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Plus, last I checked, Ben Roethlisberger was never charged either
He was sued several times in civil court though. And the circumstances are far less favorable to him than they are to Lewis.
I know this is a football thread but moving the goalposts much?

EDIT:

Was there more than just one civil suit?

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Thanas wrote:
I know this is a football thread but moving the goalposts much?
No, not really. I think Ben Rapistberger is a rapist (not a convicted one, but one nonetheless) in much the same way I think OJ Simpson is a murderer (again, not a convicted one).
EDIT:

Was there more than just one civil suit?
Don't think so, but remember the second accuser declined to have charges pressed after a period of considering the media frenzy.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Oh goddamnit! :banghead:
Print page
UTSanDiego.com
It's official: Jackson a Tampa Bay Buccaneer

By Kevin Acee

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Vincent Jackson is gone, quicker than even expected.

The 29-year-old wide receiver is headed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He received a five-year deal worth $55.5 million with $36 million virtually guaranteed over the first three years. Jackson got $13 million fully guaranteed in each of the first two seasons.

Jackson was the Chargers’ second-round draft pick in 2005 and developed into one of the NFL’s most-productive receivers.

He led the Chargers with 3,619 receiving yards since 2008, despite missing 11 games in 2010. He has 28 touchdowns in those four seasons (52 games). Jackson's 18-yard average per catch also led the NFL (among receivers with at least 153 receptions) in that span.

The Chargers placed the franchise tag on Jackson in 2011, paying him $11.4 million, but they declined to do so this year. Such a move would have cost them $13.7 million.

The Chargers had hoped to retain Jackson and continued speaking with his agent, but they had long seemed resigned to the fact they could not and would not compete for his services because the price would be too high.
Print page

© Copyright 2012 The San Diego Union-Tribune, LLC. An MLIM LLC Company. All rights reserved.
The real kick in the nuts is that The Lord of No Rings is planning to replace Jackson with Laurent Robinson, who was cut by the Chargers last September!
:banghead: :lol: :banghead:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ten mil a year for a WR? Overpaid.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote: No, not really. I think Ben Rapistberger is a rapist (not a convicted one, but one nonetheless) in much the same way I think OJ Simpson is a murderer (again, not a convicted one).
EDIT:
Don't think so, but remember the second accuser declined to have charges pressed after a period of considering the media frenzy.
So you have moved the goal post again from:

"Well they need to be charged" -> "More than one civil suit" -> "One civil suit and one person who declined to press charges"

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote:Ten mil a year for a WR? Overpaid.
Seconded. Especially for someone as unreliable and overrated as Vincent Jackson.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darth Fanboy wrote:So you have moved the goal post again from:

"Well they need to be charged" -> "More than one civil suit" -> "One civil suit and one person who declined to press charges"
Not as much changing the goalpost then googling and finding out I was wrong about the number of cases. In any case, I stand by my opinion of these scumbags. If it makes you feel better I will therefore always add a little * at the end of whenever I refer to rapistberger. Like this: Ben Rapistberger* sucks, and this is why....

*Please note that Rapistberger never was convicted of rape despite there being multiple allegations against him. I am also sure there is a completely innocent reason for why you would order your bodyguards to bar access to the room for the victim's friends while you are inside the room with her alone. Also, I am sure the league barred him from games because they were absolutely convinced of his innocence. For more, please visit this video and this site as well as this one
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

NICE! Kept Rogers! Starting defense is intact. Awesome.

We did lose Morgan to the Redskins. I hope he gets a better chance to showcase his skills there. Not likely as I have RG3 pegged as bust status. People are expecting Cam and I don't think they are going to even get Colt McCoy.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm bowing out of the Cox sexual assault issue, mostly because he was actually found not guilty, unlike others, and I don't believe the chick based on everything I know about the case. I think she is a liar, which is the only proven fact other than they had sex. All my opinion is gonna do is piss people off and I don't want anything mucking up my football thread. If anyone wants to move to conversation into another thread, I may continue on.

And Terralithra, you may want to quote Colorado law since the case happened in that state, not Cali. Just sayin'.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, I think I am gonna bow out of that cox tangent as well. I'll just say the niners have lost a bit of respect in my eyes for signing him and leave it at that. If people want to debate me over it, send me a PM.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thanas wrote:If it makes you feel better I will therefore always add a little * at the end of whenever I refer to rapistberger. Like this: Ben Rapistberger* sucks, and this is why....
I only brought it up because you appear have a different standard for people not convicted of crimes who aren't named Ray Lewis.

However, as is everyone else it appears, I am more than happy to leave this tangent behind and get on to what is most important during the offseason here in Sunny Southern California the last few years, and that's laughing at the Chargers, something even Charger fans do on a regular basis.