Amazing BBC documentary on the war

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Amazing BBC documentary on the war

Post by Thanas »

in Afghanistan. It is called "our war". Everybody should go watch it.

I am currently watching the first part and I am amazed how they show the Taliban outthinking the allied troops and gaining lots of experiene (like IED making) due to Iraq. They also show amazing footage shot by one of the soldiers of the platoon they are following.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Re: Amazing BBC documentary on the war

Post by Raj Ahten »

Thanas are you watching it online or on one of their TV channels?

Edit: I ask because you can't use BBC's iPlayer in the US and the show very well may not be part of BBC America's lineup.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I actually recorded it off the BBC European satellite feed.

And holy crap, this show does suck you in emotionally. You really feel with the soldiers and the crappy situation.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Old Peculier
Padawan Learner

Post by Old Peculier »

Thanas wrote:And holy crap, this show does suck you in emotionally. You really feel with the soldiers and the crappy situation.
Especially the second episode. There is also a BBC2 ('Our War' is BBC3) documentary called 'Afghanistan' (part 1: 'War Without End'; part 2, coming soon: 'The Battle for Helmand')
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am also amazed at the professionalism shown by the British soldiers, even in the unedited footage shown. Completely different than the way Americans behave.
------------
------------
My LPs
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Just watched the series so far, and it's quite good. Made me go and order "Restrepo" off of Amazon.

They seem to react the same to a friend's death. Shock, mourning, payback, in that order.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

Thanas wrote:I am also amazed at the professionalism shown by the British soldiers, even in the unedited footage shown. Completely different than the way Americans behave.
I'm curious-could you describe in detail what those differences are? I'm not disagreeing-if anything, my gut instinct probably says the same thing.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Thanas wrote:I am also amazed at the professionalism shown by the British soldiers, even in the unedited footage shown. Completely different than the way Americans behave.
I have always got the feeling that some American troops actually think they are real life GI Joe, and their behaviour stems from that.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

It bears noting that America has around 10x as many soldiers in the Afghanistan theatre as the British do. The UK has the benefit of being able to pick the cream of the crop as far as which soldiers they deploy - America, not so much.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas on the behalf of the US military you can go fuck yourself back to your conformable civilian life who's not been called on to deploy back into active warzones for the past decade time after time and see friends, family and loved ones die over there.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Mr Bean wrote:
Thanas on the behalf of the US military you can go fuck yourself back to your conformable civilian life who's not been called on to deploy back into active warzones for the past decade time after time and see friends, family and loved ones die over there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't seem to recall any reports of UK soldiers beating/raping Iraqi prisoners?
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

evilsoup wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't seem to recall any reports of UK soldiers beating/raping Iraqi prisoners?
On behalf of the US Military you can also go fuck yourself
Cpl Donald Payne of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5360432.stm

This literally took me five godamn seconds to find on Google(for the links) I already had the case in memory
Secondary link, systemic issues
ID wrote:The British soldiers responsible for the death of an Iraqi detainee were not just "a few bad apples", a public inquiry heard today.

Hotel receptionist Baha Mousa, 26, died in UK military custody in Basra, southern Iraq, in September 2003 after being subjected to humiliating abuse.

British troops in Iraq routinely used interrogation methods banned by the Government in 1972 and did not think they were illegal, the inquiry into his death was told.

Rabinder Singh QC, counsel for Mr Mousa's family and other Iraqis detained with him, said: "This case is not just about beatings or a few bad apples.

"There is something rotten in the whole barrel."

The inquiry has already heard how UK troops subjected Mr Mousa and his fellow detainees to abuse, including making them scream in an "orchestrated choir" and forcing one to dance like Michael Jackson.

It was also played a short video showing Corporal Donald Payne screaming obscenities at the hooded Iraqi prisoners, including Mr Mousa, calling them "apes".

Mr Singh said: "The official version of events was that nothing on that video was in fact illegal.

"What we saw on that video was a soldier trying to implement official policy, forcing detainees to get back into stress positions when they were clearly moaning and unable to maintain those positions.

"They are all shown hooded, again in accordance with orders, and again illegally."

Soldiers from the former Queen's Lancashire Regiment arrested Mr Mousa and the other detainees at Basra's Ibn Al Haitham hotel in the early hours of 14 September, 2003 and took them to Battle Group Main camp, known as BG Main.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Here's another one, hell it's even called the "UK Abu Ghraib"
Guardian

Old Peculier
Padawan Learner

Post by Old Peculier »

Perhaps you would be similarly surprised to see the behaviour of US soldiers (marines, airmen etc.), in a similar documentary. On the other hand, perhaps not, as I have no idea what the typical behavior is of soldiers etc. from either, or any, nations. Do you truly think you do, and how?
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:It bears noting that America has around 10x as many soldiers in the Afghanistan theatre as the British do. The UK has the benefit of being able to pick the cream of the crop as far as which soldiers they deploy - America, not so much.
Not really, the size of the US Army & Marine Corps including reserves and National Guard is about ten times that of the British army plus the Royal Marines including Territorial Army and reserves.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Mr Bean wrote:
Watch Gunner Palace and then watch this one. And then don't tell me that there is a difference in attitudes. Heck, just read Generation Kill.

Also, this is not just my opinion, but also the opinion of several vets. Some of them even post (or used to post) on this board.

But continue to be butthurt, it is pretty much all you are known for.
------------
------------
My LPs
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

How does the emotional outburst refute the statement anyway? While the footage may not be edited it's certainly selected, so saying 'it shows xyz' needs examples to attack, and not news articles about things unrelated to the documentary.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:
Watch Gunner Palace and then watch this one. And then don't tell me that there is a difference in attitudes. Heck, just read Generation Kill.
Care to provide some examples of extreme American lack of professionalism my fine Civilian expert?

Thanas wrote: Also, this is not just my opinion, but also the opinion of several vets. Some of them even post (or used to post) on this board.
Care to name your vets? I think the only ones you can name are the Anti-American Stereotypes you carry around in your head.
Thanas wrote: But continue to be butthurt, it is pretty much all you are known for.
On behalf of those everywhere who are not cowards and served their countries again, please go fuck yourself

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Mr Bean wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Care to provide some examples of extreme American lack of professionalism my fine Civilian expert?
Did you even read Generation Kill? If so, Captain America would be one. Then of course there is the guy who ordered a bombardement of a civilian village just....because he was so goddamn incompetent? Also, how about the entire parade of hamming it up on Gunner Palace?
Mr Bean wrote:Care to name your vets?
I will ask them for permission first.
On behalf of those everywhere who are not cowards and served their countries again, please go fuck yourself
[/quote]

:lol: Butthurt bean. Instant classic.

A question - when did you serve in combat? Because if you did not serve in a combat unit but were something like an IT guy or pencil-pusher back home, far away from any battlefield, what makes you an authority on combat?
Last edited by Thanas on 2011-06-29 06:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
------------
------------
My LPs
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Thanas wrote: Did you even read Generation Kill? If so, Captain America would be one. Then of course there is the guy who ordered a bombardement of a civilian village just....because he was so goddamn incompetent? Also, how about the entire parade of hamming it up on Gunner Palace?
We can expand that to Encino man who couldn't call in artillery strikes properly and who duct taped his windows leading to the unit missing its turn at night and wasting several hours.

Oh what about ever youtube video ever of an airstrike featuring excessive US MILITARY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO? Protip; other militaries don't do that.

Does Bean really think the US military dont have an international reputation for behaving like a bunch of druken fratboys?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think he's just offended that other countries have different attitudes towards the military. This British documentary has guys looking sheepish that they don't really have a good reason to sign up, because the cultural attitude is not what is it in America.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also Bean, I received permission from Kendall to name him. You might remember him. You are now going to declare him an anti-american stereotype living in my head as well?
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote:Also Bean, I received permission from Kendall to name him. You might remember him. You are now going to declare him an anti-american stereotype living in my head as well?
I'm going to declare him "one" instead of "several".
Spoiler
Image German professionalism :P

I interact with the Aussies and Britishers damn near everyday at work. They are, if anything, less professional their US DoD uniformed personnel equilivants. At least they guys I speak to.

On my 2004-05 Deployment the Italian and German vessels in the AG or Arabian Sea resolutely refused to communicate with any American ship. At all. As far as they were concerned the only reason why they were there was because their political masters told them to be there, and damned if they actually did anything besides "go to point A, drop anchor".

There's professionalism, and there's "professionalism". If the German ideal of professionalism is to go sulk in the corner then whoop-de-do.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Is that a cue for non-Americans to spit the dummy and get cross? Or should it somehow change the content of the documentary?