what are the best non american films you have seen?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

what are the best non american films you have seen?

Post by Darth Yan »

Mine are:

1.) City of God: Hard hitting film about life in Brazillian favelas and the fall of the supposed "City of God" into just another favela. Extremely well acted, written and directed. Also home to the most horrible villain in all of cinema: Little Ze

2.) Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: An adaption of the classic Stieg Larrson book Men Who Hate Women (GWTDT in america and england) this catches the spirit of the original, making a painful but accurate point about the evil that goes on beneath the surface of sweedish society

3.) El Orfanato: A spanish horror film produced by Guillermo Del Toro, this film is one of the few horror films I've seen that truly made me terrified (Haloween and Friday the 13th were extremely ridiculous and thus nullified any chance they had).

4.) Castle in the Sky: In my honest opinion, I enjoyed this far more then spirited away. It's just relentless fun, and the english dubbing is actually pretty good (with veterans such as mark hamil and even other high class actors such as anna paquin.

5.) The Hidden fortress: Known as the basis of star wars, it manages to be a solid film on it's own. Although I still fail to see the direct connection with the OT.
eion
Jedi Master

Re: what are the best non american films you have seen?

Post by eion »

Any of Juzo Itami's movies: The Funeral, Tampopo, A Taxing Woman. All are a great insight into japanese culture and entertaining to boot.

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's a good start.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

For some French flavor now, I very much enjoyed Bon Voyage.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Hot Fuzz: An excelent action/comedy police movie.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

A Wind Named Amnesia
wikipedia wrote:The Apocalypse didn't come with a bang, but with a whimper. Silently, the amnesia wind swept away all of mankind's knowledge. Thousands of years of human civilization vanished overnight as people forgot how to use the tools of modern civilization - who they were - how to speak - everything. Technology decayed as mankind was reduced to level of cavemen.

Two years later, a young man miraculously re-educated after the cataclysm, explores this barbaric world while pursued by a relentless killing machine. He is accompanied by a young mysterious woman who somehow is spared the obliterating effects of the amnesia wind.
It wasn't even a particularly great movie to most people, but for my then 14 year old self, it completely shattered my naive faith in humanity and affected how I view things like the source of human morality for the rest of my life. That night, I went to sleep with a sick feeling in my stomach from nothing more than seeing a movie.

Wouldn't have the same effect on an adult, though.

I didn't really think about it until now, but anime is depressingly lacking in good movies. Short OVAs, sure, but not so much on the movies. I say this from the perspective of someone who pretty much only watches anime. Stuff like Ghost in the Shell were ok, but didn't really appeal to me as much as it did to others.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'll second Hot Fuzz, and I'll add Four Lions, a comedy about something that really shouldnt be funny, but in fact is very amusing indeed.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Darth Yan wrote:The Hidden fortress: Known as the basis of star wars, it manages to be a solid film on it's own. Although I still fail to see the direct connection with the OT.
There are many elements common to both films that should be pretty obvious. Rescuing the hotheaded princess and the two bumbling sidekicks are the two off the top of my head, but there are others.

My list is:

Britain: Hot Fuzz. God this movie was fucking hilarious.

Russia: Several here. I greatly enjoyed The Return, Stalker, and Ivan Ilyich Changes His Profession, as well as 12, a remake of Twelve Angry Men.

Japan: Seven Samurai and Yojimbo of Kurosawa's films were the ones I most enjoyed. I still need to see Rashomon and Ran.

China/Hong Kong: Just about anything by either Jackie Chan or John Woo is a fantastic action piece.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I'm sure there are a ton that I can't think of but,..

German: Stalingrad
asdfzxc
Redshirt

Post by asdfzxc »

Disregarding the obvious ones (Mad Max, Monty Python, and so on) I feel the need to mention a film by the name of Doomsday.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

For very powerful French cine, check out Irreversible and Bais moi. I thought very highly of both (although, the latter got banned here in Australia).

I'd also put Once Were Warriors (New Zealand) in the list of most powerful movies ever.

Maybe not the most fun-filled movies, but very intense.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

favorites in no particular order.

Das Boot-German
Soldier of Orange-Dutch (Rutgar Huer as a good guy terrorist)
Get Carter-English (Micheal 'Fuckin' Caine version)
Apartment Zero- Argentine (though it stars americans/irish)
Seven Samurai- Japan
Yojimbo/Sanjero- Japan
Ran-Japan
Zaitochi-Japan
Cerano De Bergerac-France
Babbet's Feast-(forgot which country)
Darkness-Spanish
Sexy Beast-English
The Long Good Friday-English
The Krays-English (Does someone suspect that the Bear likes London Gangsters?)
Circle of Iron-Italian (based on a Bruce Lee screenplay adapting Journey to the West)
Snatch-English
L4yer Cake-English
RockanRolla-English
Game of Death-Chinese/Italian
Enter the Dragon-Chinese
Bangkok Dangerous-Chinese
Ong Bak-Thai
The Brotherhood of the Wolf-French
LaFemme Nikita-French
The Discrete Charm of the Boigogies-French
Tess-French

oh and others:
Studio Ghilbi Anime
anything directed by Akira Kurosawa, Sergio Leon, Luc Beasant

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear

Also Check out the original Dutch The Vanishing
Also I can't remember the title but I think it's "Underground" which is a strange movie about a subway and some killings.... also filmed in Denmark

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Omeros
Youngling

Post by Omeros »

I would nominate:

L'armée des ombres (Army of Shadows) by Jean-Pierre Melville

Audition

Downfall

and I second Stalker and Irréversible
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The Professional was an amazing film. It was an intense action movie yet refreshingly different from how such films go in hollywood.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I'm surprised Metropolis hasn't been mentioned yet.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
The Yosemite Bear

thanks for mentioning that golden oldie, also "M" and "Blue Angel" are kick ass submissions from early german cienima.

Another good bit is Klaus Kinski in "Mephisto" a story of an apolitical actor who likes to play Dr. Faust, and ends up becomming a Nazi.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Hmm. Let the Right One in was good and is within recent memory. Throne of Blood was interesting as a Japanese adaptation of Macbeth.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Man I could really go on but:

Memories of Murder
Un Prophete
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
(no shit)
Gettin' Square
Red Hill

All pretty rad.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Downfall
Das Boot
Brotherhood
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The list I can spin forth:

Metropolis

M

The Blue Angel

Das Boot

Triumph Of The Will

Nosferatu

La Cage Aux Folles

Seven Samurai

Yojimbo

Throne Of Blood

Rashomon

Ran

Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior

Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Porco Rosso

Nosferatu The Vampyre

Solaris

Alexander Nevsky

The Seventh Seal

Things To Come

A Night To Remember

2001: A Space Odyssey

Dr. Zhivago

Lawrence Of Arabia

Zulu

The Wicker Man

Breaker Morant
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Dirty Pretty Things & Let the Right One In are two of my favorites. I was mildly annoyed at the desire to remake the latter, though I've heard it didn't completely suck.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Bang Boom Bang was awesome.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

A few not yet mentioned:

France:
La Haine (Hate)
Amélie

Italy:
Ladri di biciclette (Bicycle Thieves)
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

I remember many years ago seeing an Italian film taking place in WW1, called "The General and the Lady" or "The Lady and the General" about a soldier who captures an Austrian commander and tries to get him back behind Italian lines to claim the reward. I found it to be rather poignant.

And while on the subject of Italian films, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is up there for me.
Patrick Degan wrote:Triumph Of The Will
...what?
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I'll second Hot Fuzz, and I'll add Four Lions, a comedy about something that really shouldnt be funny, but in fact is very amusing indeed.
Even with Four Lions' "downer" ending, I was still laughing once the credits hit.

But yeah, for me I'll say

Four Lions (its funny BECAUSE its offensive), insert your own Potter film, and Layer Cake.