Senate's gone, how about... a Star Chamber?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Would a "Star Chamber" be a good idea?

Yes, and we should discuss possible implementation!
16%
No, we don't need this, 'cause...
25%
Maybe... let's discuss it (hold vote in abeyance; change vote later).
9%
Coyote, you goddamn wanker.
50%

Total votes: 56

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Senate's gone, how about... a Star Chamber?

Post by Coyote »

Okay, we tried a Senate and it didn't work out too well ( :oops: ); I think consensus is it got too big and unwieldy and bogged and mired in, well, all sorts of stuff. (You may call it "stuff & nonsense" if you like, or just good ol' "shit".) But things have happened since then-- namely, DW is pretty much an absentee landlord by choice and the Mods now have direct control.

However, I was wondering if maybe the problem wasn't "The Senate" as an idea-- a decision-making body to go over procedure before recommending action-- but simply the size and bulk of it. It took time to collect votes, and it took time to debate merits and procedures. By the time action was agreed upon, the situation had changed and things like "bans" were already pretty much just an obvious action, with debate a mere formality. In fact, it became quite the tradition to "go out with a bang" and become more obnoxious as a vote tallied, which if anything only served to fuel the flames.

So I am thinking-- how about a "Star Chamber"? Ideally, a Star Chamber was a means to reign in wayward nobility:
The Star Chamber (Latin: Camera stellata) was an English court of law that sat at the royal Palace of Westminster until 1641. It was made up of Privy Counsellors, as well as common-law judges, and supplemented the activities of the common-law and equity courts in both civil and criminal matters. The court was set up to ensure the fair enforcement of laws against prominent people, those so powerful that ordinary courts could never convict them of their crimes. Court sessions were held in secret, with no indictments, no right of appeal, no juries, and no witnesses. Evidence was presented in writing. Over time it evolved into a political weapon and became a symbol of the misuse and abuse of power by the English monarchy and courts.
Although, today, another meaning has cropped up:
In modern usage, legal or administrative bodies with strict, arbitrary rulings and secretive proceedings are sometimes called, metaphorically or poetically, star chambers. This is a pejorative term and intended to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the proceedings. The inherent lack of objectivity of any politically motivated charges has led to substantial reforms in English law in most jurisdictions since that time.
Boith are from the Wikipedia entry.

The plan is: a group of 5, or 7, or 9 (an odd number for obvious tie-breaker reasons) people are chosen to make a decision on a person who seems to be misbehaving. The Star Chamber can be either regular members who hold the position for a select period of time (either three months, say, or three "trials", whichever comes first) or is drawn up as needed from the populace and then disbanded as needed.

A Star Chamber may be useful in certain N&P debates, especially if the IvP moratorium is lifted. A Star Chamber would be quicker than the massively-populated Senate was and since they would not be permanent, institutional bias could be avoided.

Votes can be changed during the course of discussion.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: Senate's gone, how about... a Star Chamber?

Post by fgalkin »

We already have a "star chamber." It's called "the Mod forum." As an added bonus, it can actually enforce the decisions it makes! :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Yes, but this would be more of what the Senate (probably) was supposed to be: peer-review with transparency. It would not apply to every decision that needed to be made, and would not necessarily be a standing tool of policy enforcement.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Man I thought you were talking about Farscape but then I remembered that was StarBURST Chamber. This is far more boring.

Additional layers of bureaucracy spending more time justifying and defining their own role is currently not what this board needs in my opinion, nor do I think it ever will be.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Uh, a Star Chamber lacks transparency by definition. If it has transparency, then it is not a Star Chamber but a jury or a committee.

And by the way, the decisions of the mods are not arbitrary and the reasoning is generally laid out at the time of the punishment, so the transparency angle is pretty much covered.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Yeah, mods have this one covered. How is the Mod forum any different from this Star Chamber of which you speak?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Additional layers of bureaucracy spending more time justifying and defining their own role is currently not what this board needs in my opinion, nor do I think it ever will be.
But that's the point. It would be convened for a purpose, and would not be made up of permanent members. It would eithe rbe for a set period of time, then changed, or, for a specific purpose, then dissolved.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Hawkwings wrote:Yeah, mods have this one covered. How is the Mod forum any different from this Star Chamber of which you speak?
It would allow peers to serve as a review board so that Mods don't have to get bogged down in details. Like a Star Chamber could be convened to watch over a Israel vs. Palestine debate, and that would be their only real purview, and the Mods don't have to get involved in a bunch of baby-sitting.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

fgalkin wrote:Uh, a Star Chamber lacks transparency by definition. If it has transparency, then it is not a Star Chamber but a jury or a committee.
I know, I just dig the name. :wink: Although a independent judiciary of secret members could be done... although I think more is gained form transparency.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Coyote, the problem is who gets to decided when to convene the star chamber? The Mods are the natural choice and if they want to raise something they can do it in their private forum and actually execute the decision with out further discussion. Not really helpful.

But the mods have neglected some part of the system as it is. They do not give titles or temp bans much anymore, just perma bans for stuff. For instance LionElJohnson should likely have been titled long before he got banned. The early board had lots (relatively tons) more instances of titling people. We don't need people to sort out when a banning should happen, but we might have something for assigning titles.

Unless people really don't think titling is important anymore. (I would say it is a good way of public humiliation, to encourage people to get better in posting. But that is just my opinion.)
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I never understood the Senate. But this sounds...inititially reasonable, until I read the posts made by fgalkin and fanboy.

I like the idea of peer-review convened for specific purposes, like the issue of titling people as Agent Sorchus said (and not just for stupidity as well, perhaps you could revive the system of giving people custom titles as a reward of some sort), but I think it could very easily get out of hand, or try to over-step it's mandate, which is what (as far as I can tell) happenned with the Senate.

Clearly the idea needs more fleshing out. But it should be dismissed out of hand.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Coyote wrote: But that's the point. It would be convened for a purpose, and would not be made up of permanent members. It would eithe rbe for a set period of time, then changed, or, for a specific purpose, then dissolved.
It's still unecessary bureaucracy seemingly for the sake of bureaucracy. What's the point of having moderators and admins if decision making authority is just going to be handed off periodically to people who may not be qualified one way for the other?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

fgalkin wrote:We already have a "star chamber." It's called "the Mod forum." As an added bonus, it can actually enforce the decisions it makes! :D
See, when fgalkin says something I completely agree with it's either a sign of the Apocalypse or whatever it was that someone made a thread about the answer is 97 shades of fucking obvious.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'm not really sure I see how this is any different from having ban polls aside from limiting the number of people who can vote.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Coyote wrote: But that's the point. It would be convened for a purpose, and would not be made up of permanent members. It would eithe rbe for a set period of time, then changed, or, for a specific purpose, then dissolved.
It's still unecessary bureaucracy seemingly for the sake of bureaucracy. What's the point of having moderators and admins if decision making authority is just going to be handed off periodically to people who may not be qualified one way for the other?
This would not be focused on things like board policy, etc. This would be for peers to determine that someone needs to cool off for a week or two (temp ban) or get a title, etc, and then inform a Mod of the decision-- the Mod then implements it. Again, it's so Mods have time to focus on board matters as a whole, instead of getting sucked into babysitting one particular situation (be it an over-active thread, or an overly-troublesome poster who stays just on this side of the rules, etc).

Their scope would be limited, so getting involved in "bureaucracy" would not become an issue. With the Senate, they were a standing forum that had nothing to do when time was idle, so they nosed around in things for no reason. This would not be permanent, and would not be the same people over & over again.

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

I prefer living under a single emperor with absolute authority.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

We could just rename the Mod forum the Star Chamber. Not that any of you grots would ever know the difference. ;-)
[line 2]
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Coyote wrote: This would not be focused on things like board policy, etc. This would be for peers to determine that someone needs to cool off for a week or two (temp ban) or get a title, etc, and then inform a Mod of the decision-- the Mod then implements it. Again, it's so Mods have time to focus on board matters as a whole, instead of getting sucked into babysitting one particular situation (be it an over-active thread, or an overly-troublesome poster who stays just on this side of the rules, etc).
Current system: Moderator sees problem -> Moderator deals with it.

Your System: Someone perhaps a mod sees a problem -> Temproary group convened -> debate ensues -> actions are voted upon -> temporary group informs mod of decision mod could have made on their own because moderators have authority given to them by Admins -> Moderator ultimately deals with it they way they see fit if they disagree because they have auhtority and regular users don't because that's how it works.
Their scope would be limited, so getting involved in "bureaucracy" would not become an issue. With the Senate, they were a standing forum that had nothing to do when time was idle, so they nosed around in things for no reason. This would not be permanent, and would not be the same people over & over again.
Which solves the problem of layers of bureaucracy how again? Because taking several days to solve an issue when a moderator can do it within minutes is better? Why are you so determined to create another body of users like the old Senate or House of Commons?

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Mayabird wrote:We could just rename the Mod forum the Star Chamber. Not that any of you grots would ever know the difference. ;-)
[line 2]

Oh I would know.

Because you just told me.

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Having been a Senator, I have to disagree with the concept of this "Star Chamber." The present black-box moderating system works much better than the board's flirtation with 'transparency.' People who get thrown out on their ear typically get lots, and lots, of warning first. Unless they violate one of the insta-ban rules; in which case, they're crushed with the appropriate lack of mercy. Anyone who wants to complain about moderating decisions can now do so without turning it into the sort of huge open-air bitchfest that was engendered by the Senate and its spawn, the House of Commons.

I mean, look at bans conducted by the Senate. Most of the people who came up for banning and wound up being banned would've gotten themselves just as banned under the system, as it stands now. So would those who were titled.

This idea is really a solution in search of a problem.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

jegs2 wrote:I prefer living under a single emperor with absolute authority.
I did too, but "Our Emperor" has been away for some time :cry:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Personally, I'm all for anything that gets some of the decision-making out from behind closed doors. Cloak-and-dagger is unspiffy outside of Tom Clancy novels.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Star Chamber or something similiar? HAH!

Quite frankly, the board's life was numbered the second Mike stopped posting on it.

I mean, would you keep a World of Warcraft account you haven't touched in over a year?

The second he (or Rebecca) decides it's not worth the economic outlay for something he's not even using, the board is done.

At least in it's current form. Someone else might be able to take over ownership, but (shrugs).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Not accurate. Mike has stated in the past that he has taken steps to assure that the board and it's history don't go the way of the dodo, even in the event of his death.

On to the topic at hand... Coyote! Are you just a drama fiend? The Senate was fun, and it's nice to have regular members participate in decisions, but c'mon, it is fine the way it is. Did you learn nothing from the House of Commons? :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Solauren wrote: The second he (or Rebecca) decides it's not worth the economic outlay for something he's not even using, the board is done.
I am still under the impression that the ad revenue is covering most of, if not all the costs. So economics I don't think plays into it.