MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by aerius »

Dos Santos vs. Cain it is. Holy shit that's going to be an awesome fight, I'm getting pumped just thinking about it. JDS showed that his takedown defence is for real by stuffing pretty much all of Carwin's attempts and getting back up to his feet fast the one time when he did get taken down. JDS and Cain standing and banging it out is going to be sick.

Speaking of heavyweight action, man, the Rosa vs. Beltran fight on the facebook prelims was something else. That was like a hockey fight at times, they just stood in front of each other and traded shots with absolutely no thought of defence, it was pure rock'em sock'em fighting. Technique was out the window but man was it ever fun to watch.

I gotta say this, all the UFC cards in Canada are loaded with great fights and this one was no exception.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That Beltran v Rosa fight was pure air punching mayhem.

And man oh man. What was with the judging. 30-27s all over the show for guys who clearly lost.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yeah, that judging was total bullshit, but at least Cecil Peoples wasn't one of the dillweeds. Thank god they got his ass outta there, but unfortunately he was replaced by some peckerhead who was just as retarded.

Also, the Sam Stout KO on Edwards. Just knocked him out stiff. I guess that's why they call him "hands of stone" I don't think I've seen one that good since Hendo vs. Bisping or Rich Franklin's highlight reel KO on Nate Quarry.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Oh... oh man... Marquardt what the hell did you DO?!

P.S. After RAW on the 27th I believe that we need a pro wrestling thread......
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

My top 3 theories.

1) Positive for a communicable and tried to cover it up.

2) "Hypgonadism".

3) Made a deal outside the UFC that Zuffa got wind of and then something "trivial" like a PED test came up and they shot him out of a cannon in front of a bus.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:2) "Hypgonadism".
Yup. Low testosterone levels according to the info given at the press conference, was on replacement therapy, then off, then back on when advised by the doc. Funny how this one's an instaban from the UFC when Chael Sonnen is still on the UFC roster, but banned by all the commissions.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

3 differences.

Chael had at least "legal" plausible deniability to an extent. Marquadt won't even name the doctors involved.

Doctor's who are so brilliant as to say that cutting weight would increase testosterone levels due to "blood thickening" when every study done on the matter shows that dehydration leads to decreases in testosterone levels.

Doctor's who don't comply with USADA requirements for administering doses.

Doctor's who go: "fuck it, let's give you a double shot".

He's a cheating fuck (again), who got caught and won't admit it (again). Fuck him.

At least Sonnen could sell a fight. That's the only reason he's still under contract. Who's going to buy a PPV from some other show because Marquadt is headlining?

Also, how bad do you feel for guys like Dan Miller, who has losses to Sonnen and Marquadt - two confirmed cheating fucks.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Roid the shit out of both Sonnen and Marquadt, and get them to fight each other for the right to a second chance. That might at least be worth watching
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

So, Wandy v Bieber?

I'm still putting money on Bieber.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

If Wandy shaves his head & wears tights he takes it. Also, Tito Ortiz? Winning by guillotine choke? Is this the year of upsets all over again?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That main card was great.

Matt Wiman being a crybaby was hilarious.

There was much mourning of the Sots loss at the pub I'm at though.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

I find myself shocked that people find Cruz to be a boring fighter online, the man fights like a tiny Ali (in MMA form) his striking is hypnotic to watch and I keep expecting him to do the Ali shuffle while he's zipping in and out. I swear if they're not just sitting in the pocket blindly throwing they're boring decision grinders to some people O.o
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:There was much mourning of the Sots loss at the pub I'm at though.
When you're a ground wizard who can't get it to the ground, you got a problem. Should've gone for the ankle pick or pulled guard.

Also, UFC, make this happen!
http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/n ... hp?id=7179
A fight between Chael Sonnen and Lyoto Machida is all but a done deal.

Sources close to the situation tell Fighters Only that Sonnen will be making his UFC return at light-heavyweight and is almost certain to face the Brazilian former champion.

The fight is apparently being considered for UFC 136, which takes place on October 8th in Houston, Texas. No fights have been announced for that card but Jose Aldo and Kenny Florian are expected to headline.

Machida is a fighter that Sonnen has long had his eye on, and not just because he is a training partner and friend of Sonnen’s favourite smack-talk target Anderson Silva.

Sonnen made comments at the weekend about possibly fighting Machida when he returns to action, and has been taking potshots at him via Twitter (although that is nothing new).

The latest - “Of course your sport should be taken seriously. Everybody would like to be able to workout in their bathrobe” - is a dig at Machida’s background in Shotokan Karate.

He also slammed the recent spate of videos depicting Black House fighters training with Steven Segal. “I don't seek training advice from actors for the same reason I don't seek health advice from strippers.”

Today Machida told Brazilian website Tatame that he will sign for the fight immediately if Sonnen really wants it, but sources say that verbal agreements are already in place at this point.

More news as we get it.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Well they shitcanned the Machida Sonnen fight, but it gets better!

http://www.headkicklegend.com/2011/7/12 ... atch-lyoto
UFC 133 Fight Card: Phil Davis Out. Rashad Evans Set to Rematch Lyoto Machida
by Matthew Roth on Jul 12, 2011 9:53 PM EDT

UFC 133 was set to be the UFC's big return to Philadelphia after the highly entertaining UFC 101 where Anderson Silva stopped Forrest Griffen in the first round. The card was set to be headlined by Rashad Evans coming back from a long layoff against rising Light Heavyweight star Phil Davis. Unfortunately, it looks like Davis is now out of the fight because of a knee injury.

Instead, I have learned from sources close to the situation that Rashad Evans will be facing the one man who defeated him, Lyoto Machida. The fight will be a rematch from their UFC Light Heavyweight Title fight over two years ago at UFC 98. The first fight was entertaining but it showed a real hole in Rashad's game. He was unable to figure out Machida's timing and suffered a knockout loss because of it. This time he's facing Machida with a ton of ring rust and on shorter notice. In MMA, there aren't many Karate practitioners you can call to emulate Machida's style. Machida has the benefit of being an active fighter, just having to train for a wrestler, and already having a victory over Evans.
Can't wait to see Evans get knocked the fuck out again. Yes!!

edit: What the motherfuck? It's Tito vs. Rashad now? Talk about a revolving door.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

According to Dana White, Machida (or his team) ended up asking for "Anderson Silva money"... according to Machida (or his team), there were more complications than merely "short notice" that led to him asking for "Anderson Silva money," i.e. Dana White wanting him to move his training camp over to the US for this fight but members of Machida's team not having visas yet.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

OK, let's just run this scenario past people.

Ortiz def Evans @ 133

Griffin def Rua @ 134

Jackson def Jones @ 135

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Do you go straight for the Ortiz v Jackson "PLEASE BUY THIS PPV!" match? Do you do Ortiz v Griffin trilogy?

Do we have a world where at the end of this year, Tito Ortiz could actually be the UFC champ?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Also, have you seen the line-up for UFC136 so far? Otherwise known as the fight nerds wet dream card?

Lightweight Title - Edgar v Maynard 3.
Featherweight Title - Aldo v Florian
Lightweights - Lauzon v Guillard, Pettis v Stephens
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Do we have a world where at the end of this year, Tito Ortiz could actually be the UFC champ?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
I would laugh so hard if that happened. Hell, Chuck might have to come out of retirement to knock him out again, or maybe Randy decides to make a comeback so he can give Tito another spanking.

Also, based on my infalliable statistical analysis, Griffin is getting knocked out by Shogun next month. I base this on the fact that since joining the UFC, Shogun has knocked out every fighter he's gone against when fighting outside of the US. UFC 134 is in Brazil. Sorry Forrest, but you're getting added to the Shogun highlight reel.

I also want Ortiz to beat the shit out of Evans, not because I particularly like Tito, but because I hate Evans that much. It would be the next best thing to seeing Machida make him do the stanky leg again.

I don't think it'll happen but I want to see Rampage def Jones and Shogun over Griffin, this sets up a Shogun vs. Rampage rematch of the 2005 GP. Shogun can kick his ass again then lay another beating on Machida, rematch with Jones, and whoever wins that one will hopefully dish out a career ending beatdown on Evans.

Also, Overeem's out of the Strikeforce tourney. Gee, didn't see that one coming. Apparently he pussed out cause he broke his pinky toe or something. Now imagine if alternate Daniel Cormier somehow won the tourney. Daniel who? Who the fuck is this guy? Strikeforce would be so fucked.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Overeem bailing was inevitable. He just got matched against Silva and went: "Shit. I might get a L on my record for Strikeforce money? I think not."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=372853

Overeem gets cut from Strikeforce. So apparently it's a broken rib now. I wonder if the UFC's going to pick him up.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

This is the best bit of commentary on it yet. Back to "Business as usual" for Overeem. Can't risk his record with a real promotion.

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Dan Henderson Big Right Hand function check: still operational.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

What the hell Hallman, why, why did you have to break out the manties? Why??

Sexyama tries to get cute and frontkick Belfort in the face, Vitor sure didn't like that one and creamed him with a couple straight lefts to the head then beat the shit out of him till he was out cold.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Man, when Tito hit that guillotine the bar went fucking bananas. Rashad using smart, powerful knees to the body = baller.

And I hate giving Rashad any compliment.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Rashad using smart, powerful knees to the body = baller.
I dunno, anyone with half a brain knows that going to Tito's body is the way to hurt him. Chuck Liddell wrote about it in his book and Machida gave us all a live demonstration. It's pretty common knowledge that Tito's body is his weak spot.

And now retards are jumping on the Rashad hype train, claiming he'll KO Machida & Jones. Did they not notice that Tito punched him clean in the face a few times from range? Tito fucking Ortiz landed clean punches on him in the standup. Yeah, he'll do so much better in a rematch with Machida, he'll just eat another straight left to the face and get knocked out again.

Also, there are some things which you just don't need to see. Like Dennis Hallman's schlong hanging out his manties. Spoiler
Seriously, you don't need to see this
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles ... 734304.JPG
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Death of a promotion is right.

DEATH TO ALL NON ZUFFA PROMOTIONS.

Seven year deal with Fox for (at launch) 4 network (PPV equiv) events per year and 32 events on FX.

Now, that 32 consists of 2 seasons of TUF per year with live fights each Friday plus what would logically be 6-8 "Fight Night" equivalent events.

Plus pre and post shows on Fox networks for all events.

It's a serious holy shit deal.

But the biggest news?

GLADIATOR MAN HAS TO FACE THE FUCKING PAIN.

That painful, trite, cliche intro is FUCKING GONE.

Professional sports broadcast coming up.

But because it's on Fox we can get football robots or something.

...and Gus Johnson.

Because sometimes these things happen in MMA.