MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by weemadando »

OK, it's 2011 and the old thread was 40 pages for about 3 years or so. Thus I made a new thread just for this year. Hooray.

Commence joking about the fact that Strikeforce's Heavyweight tournament will collapse before the second round as drug testing, contract reneging and upsets take their toll.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by aerius »

I'll be surprised if they can even get the tournament started in the first place, making it to the 2nd round would be a freakin' miracle. Barnett is still suspended and who knows if he'll even get his license back, and even if he does he'll probably test positive again. They should focus more on developing their Strikeforce Challengers series and getting their production straightened out before trying to take on the UFC. If their next few events are like their last few events, they're screwed.

Oh yeah, and UFC 129 in Toronto. That's going to be madness and set the all time attendance record by a mile, no way I'm going to that one but I'll try to catch some of the related events and parties.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

More on Sonnen from Cageside Seats (by the way, my go-to place for pro wrestling news/commentary), on Keith Kizer (NSAC director) and Sonnen's TRT claims (that Kizer okay'd it, denied by Kizer):
Sonnen claimed that Kizer was lying, but that this was a-okay. He was just doing what he had to do since he was bound by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to not say anything about what he knew about Sonnen's private medical records in his capacity as a government official. Among other things, HIPAA established new privacy guidelines for Protected Health Information (PHI) in the US. PHI is information held by a "covered entity" having to do with an individual's health care or health status that can be linked to the individual.

Being pretty sure that athletic commissions are not covered entities (and even without any prior knowledge, it's Chael Sonnen), I emailed Kizer. I think you can guess what he said.

He wrote that "HIPPA [sic] does not apply to the NSAC as we are not a medical provider." He added that "I have never spoken with Mr. Sonnen on any matter. He has informed me that he wants to fly to Las Vegas and explain to me why he thought he had the OK to use TRT in Nevada. Senior Deputy Attorney General David Newton and I are awaiting him proposing a date for such a meeting." With UFC suspending him after cancelling his fight with Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 128 in light of his guilty plea on money laundering charges I expect that it'll be a while before that happens.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Oh man, Pat Barry's training program is comedy gold.
http://www.alienwarearena.com/mma/post/ ... -training/

Brandon Vera got his UFC pinkslip from what I heard, I can't say I'm surprised. The guy's been sucking it up ever since Randy clinched him to death on the cage. The guy needs to get his act together.

And in the "you can't make this shit up" category, Jacob Volkmann calls out President Obama and gets a visit from the secret service.
http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-fighter-jacob- ... et-service
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, the Volkmann thing was hilarious. Idiot right wing anti-healthcare reform statements followed by saying that he wants to beat up the Pres. Well done sir. Well done.

BTW - you need to go to a live UFC. You really do. Especially one that is going to be that stacked.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I already have, we went to UFC 124 and watched GSP punch Koscheck's face in. Any event after that is pretty much guaranteed to be a letdown unless they put Shogun, Wandy, Franklin, GSP and Rampage on the card, they'd basically have to stack up a repeat of the Pride 33 card to make me go to an event in the SkyDome. I've been to the SkyDome before, it's a nice baseball stadium but not a good venue for concerts and UFC events because of the layout. Bell Centre in Montreal, fucking awesome especially with the crowds they have, ACC in Toronto is also nice for this stuff, with the SkyDome you lose the crowd effect and atmosphere plus you can't see shit since it's too damn big.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Fair enough.

In other hilarity...

In addition to the Vera cut
Davis - cut (wow, Dana actually let him go)
McKee - cut

McKee especially makes me laugh.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I think they kept Davis around just for their UK cards and the Boston event.

Baroni's gone too. Yeah, total shocker, I know.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

aerius wrote:Oh man, Pat Barry's training program is comedy gold.
http://www.alienwarearena.com/mma/post/ ... -training/
Ok, what the heck did I just watch? The HD swim stroke? I'm seeing it and I'm at a complete loss for words...
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Oh Saku... *head shake*

P.S. Yes, I was one of those surprised at hearing about Fernandes and Sandro.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

So my wife found out that there's a series of GSP fitness workout DVDs, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them get sold to women.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I think it was Cage Potato who made that same comment today as part of an eight week feature on just how effective it is.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Actually, I think you mean Jonathan Snowden:
Thanks to Georges St. Pierre, UFC welterweight champion, I'm facing one of the most depressing moments of my life. As a lead in to his RUSHFIT exercise program St. Pierre asks you to take three pictures of yourself, shirtless, to keep as a monument to what a fat waste of life you were before you started RUSHFIT. Not his words. I've done this, hung them dutifully in the bathroom where I can't escape their presence, not even for a day, and now I'm staring. Who is this man?
Also:
When the RUSHFIT set arrives, my wife is more than a little excited. Perhaps she thinks GSP himself will be in the tiny package? I explain it isn't likely to be so - the package is just Urijah Faber sized and there's no way Georges could fit. Seriously, my wife was onboard immediately. Women will do any kind of exercise video, especially to further the goal of their husband/boyfriend looking even vaguely like Georges St. Pierre. Keep this in mind.
Off-topic: Apparently the reason the prosecution recommended two years' probation and a US$10,000 fine for Sonnen is because he's *ahem* "cooperating."

Also off-topic: I SWEAR, I SO want Jon Jones' next opponent to declare at the pre-fight conference, "SNITCHES GET STITCHES," just to see Jon Jones' reaction.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What's that Zuffa? $1000? Sure, we'll pay for that for this PPV.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Oh yeah, and Zuffa just decided to murder Strikeforce. They're counterprogramming leg 1 of the SF HW "tournament" (aka, just a series of heavyweight fights that we've booked which will never come to fruition), which SF has decided to put on PPV... With a non-PPV event.

Hmmm. Strikeforce branded PPV vs UFC branded free event.

BTW - the record for a non UFC PPV is WEC48 apparently. And that was still only 150K or so.

Which wouldn't even cover M-1s "brown M&Ms in Swarovski crystal bowls rider" budget.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:What's that Zuffa? $1000? Sure, we'll pay for that for this PPV.
Yeah, I'd shell out cash if they can bring Bruce Lee back to life. Then they gotta find an opponent for Tony Jaa.

Also, Anderson Silva wants to fight Bisping, dear god, please make this happen. It'll be up there with the time Hendo punched his head off and Silva's total schooling of Leben. It could be the most humiliating KO since the time Forrest got flattened by Silva.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

aerius wrote:Yeah, I'd shell out cash if they can bring Bruce Lee back to life. Then they gotta find an opponent for Tony Jaa.
For bonus points, have his debut fight be a revitalized Burt Ward.

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Not too shabby, Jacare... apparently last night's card was an example of what Strikeforce SHOULD be.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, they have signed on with HDnet so in addition to having a station that knows how to do a televised MMA event on board, we are apparently getting Michael Schiavello and Bas Rutten as the commentary team for the Grand Prix...

...Prelims. Yes. Prelims. Because obviously people want to hear Gus Johnson shout imbecilic catch-phrases over the top of the Mauro/Frank love-in. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I saw someone on twitter comment that the last SF card was designed for their strikers to get their highlight reels updated and this one was designed for their grapplers to do the same. Which is true enough and also a sign of the bizzaro world matchmaking that they often go with. Relevant fights? Who cares! WE'RE GETTING RATINGS!

And I really recommend you read the Snark Fights (Tomas Rios) article on Strikeforce's Bahadurzada bullshit. Fucking him around for a year with "contractual disputes" over the contract they gave to him.

But at least they aren't DREAM/FEG who are apparently on their really last legs and look to be dying at any moment.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

It'd be nice for Strikeforce to actually air the prelims instead of relegating them to a stream of limited reliability/stability -- compared to "UFC on Facebook" -- and not filling up time, considering the several finishes on the main card.

Shame re: the Bahadurzada situation, but as I don't know more of the whole picture I'm abstaining from comment on that part.

The fun part is, FEG/DREAM is looking to potentially be superseded by Real Entertainment... too bad RE is apparently filled with DSE, and we remember what they had to do with the fall of PRIDE, no?

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Well, they have signed on with HDnet so in addition to having a station that knows how to do a televised MMA event on board, we are apparently getting Michael Schiavello and Bas Rutten as the commentary team for the Grand Prix...
Bas Rutten on commentary makes it all worth watching, I still say it's a miracle if it gets to the 2nd round. Seriously, does Josh Barnett even have a license to fight yet after his latest steroid bust?

So yeah, Strikeforce. It went about as I expected and Nick Diaz gets another gimme win. I can't say it was a boring fight though, they came out to throw but as usual, Cyborg gasses hard, tries to hang out on the ground with Diaz and gets subbed. I'm told it's Diaz vs. Daley up next, yeah, I wonder what's going to happen there?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:
weemadando wrote:Well, they have signed on with HDnet so in addition to having a station that knows how to do a televised MMA event on board, we are apparently getting Michael Schiavello and Bas Rutten as the commentary team for the Grand Prix...
Bas Rutten on commentary makes it all worth watching, I still say it's a miracle if it gets to the 2nd round. Seriously, does Josh Barnett even have a license to fight yet after his latest steroid bust?
Haven't you heard? Strikeforce is saying it wants to do some of the tourney in Japan. I wonder which fights they'll have over there? Perhaps the ones where they know that guys won't get licensed or will risk testing positive stateside?

I was talking about this with Josh Gross of ESPN the other day - the fact that the UFC and Strikeforce take on the testing responsibility can lead to some questionable outcomes, but Strikeforce has far more interest in dodging responsibility/consequences, because unlike Zuffa, they don't have the kind of stability where having a card fall apart won't kill their business.
So yeah, Strikeforce. It went about as I expected and Nick Diaz gets another gimme win. I can't say it was a boring fight though, they came out to throw but as usual, Cyborg gasses hard, tries to hang out on the ground with Diaz and gets subbed. I'm told it's Diaz vs. Daley up next, yeah, I wonder what's going to happen there?
Nick Diaz says he'll do wushu for that fight. I want to see it just for that.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:Haven't you heard? Strikeforce is saying it wants to do some of the tourney in Japan. I wonder which fights they'll have over there? Perhaps the ones where they know that guys won't get licensed or will risk testing positive stateside?
Man, I'm out of the loop, but I guess it makes sense since they have that co-promotion thing with Dream. But you just know there's going to be a fuckup, we got the next event scheduled for Japan cause we know Barnett's roiding it, fuck, damnit! Barnett just got eliminated in an upset, now what the fuck do we do?! The trainwreck possibilities are almost as compelling as the fights.
I want to see an upset win for Daley on the grounds that it might cause another brawl.
I'd laugh so hard if that happens.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

OK, so this weekend is the stacked UFC126. This card is about the deepest in terms of talent and entertainment potential that we've had in a long time.

Main card
Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort
-Like Dana said, this is either the most amazing fight of the night, or it's a Brazilian staring competition while he strokes out from rage. Should it actually be on, like the proverbial Donkey Kong, then I want you all to bear something in mind. Vitor last fought in September 2009. AT CATCHWEIGHT. Against Rich Franklin. Before that, he had impressive wins over top tier guys like Matt Lindland, Terry Martin and James Zikic... And wait, we're talking about 2007 now aren't we? Sure Vitor could punch him in the face, but lets not forget one simple thing
Cracked wrote:UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva is widely regarded as the best striker to ever fight in MMA. He dodges punches like he's in the Matrix and holding a NES Advantage. In the time it takes you to tell your foot to kick, he's circled behind you and built a bear trap under it. It's suicide to attack him. However, there's one problem with being Anderson Silva: everyone knows that you're Anderson Silva. Everyone who fights him is scared to death to get close. Let's try to attack the problem logically. 1. Anderson Silva is waiting for you to punch him. 2. That guy is Anderson Silva. 3. Don't fucking punch that guy.
Wait. Shit. That just confirms that it's going to be a Brazilian staring competition.

Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin
Enjoyable shenanigans if nothing else. I pick Rich though. Not sure why. Late 3rd rnd stoppage.

Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader
Hey everyone, remember all those times when people questioned Jon Jones' wrestling ability going into matches with other high grade wrestlers? And remember how he just fucking judo-flipped, tripped and lateral dropped them all and then made their faces into a goddamn cubist masterpiece? Why is it that people are suddenly convinced that another high grade wrestler is going to be able to defeat him? BTW - did we mention that Jones' will have a 10" reach advantage over Bader? Rnd 2 KO.

Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
Ellenberger by wrasslin' decision.

Miguel Torres vs. Antonio Banuelos
YES! Miguel Torres in the big league. However, it's been a while since the 16 fight win streak and there's still got to be a risk of his forehead falling off again. But I've still got to back him over Banuelos because he's a team-mate. Rnd 2 sub as Banuelos will eventually get sloppy.

Preliminary card (Spike TV)
Donald Cerrone vs. Paul Kelly
Paul Kelly has shown us on many occassions that though he can punch like a mofo, he defends a takedown like a... Yeah. Cerrone by decision.

Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa
Money has to be on "Money" for the same reason as above. Guys coming to the UFC from Japan have repeatedly shown a lack of serious wrestling chops. And not being used to a cage will make it even worse. Decisioned.

Preliminary card (Facebook Stream)
Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Demetrious Johnson
Probably the best fight on this card and we get it live on Facebook. Zuffa, this is how you fight the internet, you make it easier to watch than to steal. This will be 15 minutes of goddamn firecracker chainwrestling and boxing combos. I cannot wait to see Mighty Mouse with his hand raised though. BTW Zuffa, you need a flyweight division so we can give Mighty Mouse a belt.

Preliminary card
Paul Taylor vs. Gabe Ruediger
I know what you're thinking. Paul Taylor is still on Zuffa's books? Oh wait, you mean you were thinking the same thing about Gabe Ruediger? This undercard is full of loser goes home fights. Given that Ruediger was nothign more than a violence demonstration dummy against Lauzon, I'm not fancying his chances against Taylor.

Kyle Kingsbury vs. Ricardo Romero
Eh. Who cares really.

Mike Pierce vs. Kenny Robertson
Ditto.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Eduard Folayang (left) gives it a shot.