MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by 2000AD »

Holy crap that knockout on TUF last night was brutal. Didn't think anything would take over from Overeem getting humbled as highlight of the week, but damn that was nasty.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, my twitter timeline was pretty much everyone making "holy shit, did that guy just die" comments.

Apparently he was out for 3 minutes, and was still not in a good way at all 9 minutes later when the ambulance took him away.

That boy is going to have a seriously long no contact period and should probably reconsider ever getting hit in the head again
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Remember kids, that's why you keep your hands up. And it's also why body shots need to be used more in MMA, so you can get people cheating the wrong way and do cool shit like this.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

When guys like Greg Jackson and GSP say that the mental game and fighting smart is the most important part of the sport, they ain't kidding. Goddamnit it hurts my head to see fighters doing brain dead shit that cost them easy wins or let the opponents back into the game. Let's start with the main event, Liz is down on the mat and Ronda is 20' away and waiting for her to do something. You know that Ronda wants you on the ground so she can armbar you, so what do you do? If you said "get the fuck up!" you are smarter than Liz, who decided to stay down and let Ronda get back on top of her and eventually get the armbar.

Or Dan Henderson. What does Machida rely on? Speed and movement. What kills speed & movement? That would be leg kicks. Which Hendo was landing nearly every time. So what would be the smart thing to do? If you said "keep throwing them", you're smarter than Dan, who stopped throwing them and let Machida run circles around him.

Then you have Court Mcgee who had Neer in trouble with body shots at the end of the 1st round. He went for a couple at the start of the 2nd then gave up on them and went head hunting. Neer got back into the game and won the round, which should never have happened. He should've gone right back to the body and thrown just enough head shots to keep Neer distracted so that the body shots get in clean. That fight should've been over in the 2nd.

It's watching fights like this that you realize why the champs are on top. They actually fight smart and use good tactics and gameplans to exploit the shit out of their opponents. GSP, Jones, Anderson, and Bendo are the best at it, with Rory and Condit getting honorable mentions. They always find the holes in your game to shut you down and fuck your shit up.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

MARK HUNT!!!

And Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann? HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!
That was pure violence taken to a new level.

edit: Now that I've calmed down a bit after Wandy's epic win, I have to say that it was a pretty shit card up until the Mark Hunt fight. Looked good on paper, but man did it fail to live up to expectations. I've already managed to forget what happened in the first 2 hours of the card.

But man, Mark Hunt, he is on a roll! I thought he was toast for sure after Struve pulled guard on him and swept him into full mount, but somehow he survived till the end of the round. Then when he went to ground in the 2nd round I thought he was done, but once again he surprised me with his new found ground skills. Which brings us to the 3rd, and Struve's epic stupid. You do not put your hands down when standing in front of Mark Hunt! Right straight, left hook, game over. And another walk-off KO win for Hunt.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm just going to say this now to get it over with preemptively.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out Nick.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Oh and hitting GSP after the bell? That's the best shot you'll get against him all night.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Walk away Nick. Walk away.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Nick Diaz has the most overrated BJJ next to Jake Shields. Did he even manage to get a decent sub attempt off the ground? Goddamn Diaz fanboys claiming that GSP would be too scared to take him down, yeah, how'd that work out? Completely shut down. He got taken to school just like the rest of GSP's opponents.

But more importantly,

UFC 160
MARK HUNT VS. JDS!!!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

MARKU HUNTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Man, the Diaz drama never ends. Apparently,it came out during the post fight press conference that Nick Diaz hasn't paid his taxes and thinks he's going to go to jail. I don't know if he's stoned, joking, or completely retarded, probably all the above. Oh, and Cesar Gracie claims that GSP had a spy in the camp to pass him all of Diaz' super secret BJJ moves. And to top it off, he got into a car with a couple crack addicts and got detained when they were arrested. Oh yeah, and he wants a rematch with GSP. Dana White should just feed him to a bunch of wrestlers and cut him.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The spy in camp thing was Greg Savage from Sherdog who took pictures of them drilling for a pre fight article. And they were drilling leglocks. So GSP knew to train leglock defence. OMG CONSPIRACY THE PRESS HELPING GSP REMATCH REMATCH REMATCH
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Just finished watching the latest Ultimate Fighter and I had to check that it did air last week andnot today. Dana White talking about a judges call ...... and praising them by saying they got it right? Screw the Uriah Hall knockout this is the most WTF! moment of the season.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

A solid episode of TUF that just aired tonight. All in all, it kind of snuck up on me, but this is a pretty good season not just in fights but also the direction in the production. Spoiler
Poor Bubba. The amount of punching force Uriah Hall can generate in such a short distance is almost Anderson Silva levels of impressive. I have to agree with White going his own direction and setting up him and Josh to fight in the finale. But Dylan is a bit of a Darkhorse. I wouldn't count that crazy fucker out of anything. In fact, this is the first time in a while I've really seen 4 very solid guys go into the semis.
On a side-note, I figured Sonnen could pass for a decent human being even though he's a terrible person. He's done an excellent job in this regard, but Jones has never been all that likable either.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Man, this is awesome! Team Cesar Gracie goes 0-2, and even better, Nate Diaz gets TKO'd. He now has a 2 fight losing streak like his brother.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Seems like every time I bet $$$ on someone, they are destined to lose. Lost 20 bucks on Royce Gracie back at UFC 60, lost another 5 bucks betting on Liz Carmouche and last night I lost 10 more on Mark Hunt.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

RIP Hunt, you magnificent bastard.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Mark Hunt's loss could be the catalyst for another super-awesome heavyweight match; I'd love to see him take on Roy Nelson.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Silva got cocky and was destroyed for it.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The more I see that clip the more that was a bad stop, still stupid for Silva to fake being KO'ed though.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

And once again, another fighter I root for loses hard. Thankfully no money changed hands this time around.

I'm really disgusted with Silva and he deserves to get KO'ed for acting like a goddamned circus clown; I think he spent more time showboating and taunting Weidman than actually fighting. What a shame that the greatest champion in the history of the sport went down like this.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Cue dive and retirement rumors over the next little bit.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Yes, I've already heard the conspiracy theory rumors about Silva throwing the match just to set up a rematch in the future. It goes something like this:

1. Silva gets paid $600k, win or lose.
2. Silva let Weidman hold the belt with him at the pre-fight press conference, something he never ever did before.
3. Dana White says "Imagine if Silva loses, how massive that re-match would be? That fight would be HUGE!"
4. After the KO, Rogan said "Everything Silva did was textbook WRONG"
5. Rematch in a few months
6. Profit!
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

:shock:

Holy shit! Not knowing too much about Chris I thought Silva would coast it. Then I saw Chris on the MMA Hour give an interview about a month ago with Ariel and I thought 'hang on this is a pretty good guy with a solid head on his shoulders, not your usual trash talking blow hard'. Then I saw the stat match ups and saw he actually had the same reach as Silva.

I've never seen Silva fight a guy who he didn't completely dominate in reach and thought Silva should be careful.

But Holy shit!

:shock:

Well done to him, well done.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Well, time to watch the Machida fanboys lose their shit on the MMA forums. This is gonna be fucking fun!