Foreign dishes you like?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

hongi
Jedi Council Member

Foreign dishes you like?

Post by hongi »

In the spirit of multiculturalism, what foodstuffs do you like from other cultures?

I like Phở. It's one of my staple foods now. It's basically beef broth with noodles, lime, basil and for me lots and lots of chilli. Thank God for Vietnam. I have a feeling that the Pho that I eat here is a poor substitute for what's made in Vietnam and so if I get the opportunity, I'll go on like a food tour of South East Asia. Did I mention that Thai is wonderful? :D
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Re: Foreign dishes you like?

Post by Chardok »

My favorite dish is a regional spin on a korean dish. It's made (As far as I can tell) only in Hawaii in any sort of appreciable quantity and it's called Meat Jun. Thinly sliced, seasoned beef wrapped in a seasoned egg-pancake and fried. dip it in a really good shoyu and *melllllllllllllt*

God, I miss Hawaii.
Falarica
Youngling

Post by Falarica »

Another Thai fan here, especially Phad Thai which is stir-fried rice noodles with eggs, fish sauce, tamarind juice, red chilli pepper, bean sprouts, and any meat you want.

Its a bitch to make properly though, so I usually subsist on chilli or stir-fried rice.
Commence primary legislation!

If aliens every really tried to contact us it'd be through the internet. Then 4chan would probably scare them off.
Pintsize - Questionable Content
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Do things like Spaghetti Bolognaise / Pasta Carbonara count? Or is that too mainstream?

I mean, I'm Australian, so every food I eat is foreign except like Vegemite on toast and Pavlova.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'll eat almost anything, (not a big fan of spicy food though), but Gyoza is probably my single most favorite Asian food.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

adam_grif wrote: I mean, I'm Australian, so every food I eat is foreign except like Vegemite on toast and Pavlova.
Pavlova isn't Austral-

Never mind. :lol:
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

hongi wrote:
adam_grif wrote: I mean, I'm Australian, so every food I eat is foreign except like Vegemite on toast and Pavlova.
Pavlova isn't Austral-

Never mind. :lol:
New Zealand is a city in Australia, your point is moot 8)
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Don't some people eat kangaroos in Australia? That's a native Aussie thing right? I mean that and Foster's.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

hongi wrote:In the spirit of multiculturalism, what foodstuffs do you like from other cultures?

I like Phở. It's one of my staple foods now. It's basically beef broth with noodles, lime, basil and for me lots and lots of chilli. Thank God for Vietnam. I have a feeling that the Pho that I eat here is a poor substitute for what's made in Vietnam and so if I get the opportunity, I'll go on like a food tour of South East Asia. Did I mention that Thai is wonderful? :D
That's what my first answer was going to be. I'm hanging out to do a day's work at another office which is right next door to a fantastic Pho kitchen (I used to be based at that site which is how I developed an obsession with Pho).

But let's look at what I've eaten over the past fortnight.

Burgers (American/German/whoever)
Thai style stirfry - Thai
Curries (many and varied) - Indian/Sri Lankan/Malaysian
Pizza - Italian
Chicken tagine - North African
Shawarma/Various savouries - Middle Eastern (Persian/Turkish)
Various savouries/sweets - Greek
Chinese style stirfry - Chinese
Rice balls/sushi - Japanese

That's just off the top of my head without thinking too hard about any of it.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

General Zod wrote:Don't some people eat kangaroos in Australia? That's a native Aussie thing right?
Kangaroo is fantastic.

Wallaby is as good, slightly more tender, slightly less gamey.

Croc is OK, just imagine the flavour of chicken with the texture of freshwater fish. It can be hard to deal with.

Possum is stewable.

Buffalo is good.

Emu is also pretty good.

I mean that and Foster's.
GET OUT.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I have yet to find a foreign dish I did not like.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I've only had Wallaby from that list, but yeah, it wasn't bad. I remember one time we convinced some Chinese exchange students that we ate Koala meat on special occasions.

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Thanas wrote:I have yet to find a foreign dish I did not like.
Have you tried this yet? I can't recommend eating the entire thing yourself, even I had to split it with one of my friends.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Pho is pretty good. Hongi: My brother spent some time backpacking in Vietnam last year, and he said that you could get enormous bowls of Pho for about AU$1.50, provided that you had gotten some Vietnamese currency. The US Dollar trap is apparently universal over there.

I have asian and indian food pretty regularly - it tends to be fairly easy to cook, and if I can't be stuffed doing it myself there's no lack of restaurants nearby.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanas wrote:I have yet to find a foreign dish I did not like.

I have. I can't stand curries for some reason.

Or cilantro. Tastes like chemicals for me. Nasty.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

The idea of going to a country and not even bothering to get the local currency just blows my mind...

Personally, I'm a huge fan of pretty much everything Korean. There was this awesome Korean place downstairs from where I lived in Shanghai. Cheap, and free delivery for orders of over 30 kuai, which was just enough for two meals. Once my housemate and I found it, the only thing that stopped us from eating there every day was the fact that we felt it would be shameful to have people know that we only ever ate at the one restaurant all the time.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Kyler
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyler »

Chori Polo - A Mexican Chicken dish covered with Queso cheese and ground Chorizo sausage :D

Smoked Eel Sushi, sounds disgusting but tastes great

Peking Duck

Croatian style fried large calamari

Authentic German Beer brats

Fish n' Chips, London Style

French Meringue cookies
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

I've had a couple Korean dishes in college. Spicy food isn't really my thing. The most exotic I've ever gone is Japanese noodle dishes (udon for anyone who cares) and sushi.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Sushi and sashimi! (how original)

Lomo saltado (which I insist on calling lobo saltado, because I find it hilarious for some reason). (Peruvian)

Dolma, saganaki, and taramosalata (Greek)

Hummus, Falafel, Schawarma (Generic Middle Eastern)

Pizza, Lasagna, and assorted pastas (Italian)

Plov (Central Asian)

Assorted American Chinese Food.

And Russian food, which is not foreign to me, but probably is to you.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Pizza's so common-place it's virtually American.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Balut.

Oh right, that's a local Feelipeeni dish, so I guess that is cheating. But I can't resist posting that disgusting image to gross weak-stomached lilly livered Westerners out. It is also very tasty.

But yeah, I must profess a wuv for Koreanoid foods. I am crazies over the bibimbap, man.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

The first person to say "Chicken Tikka Masala" in the context of it being an Asian dish will get shot. Seriously. I've had so many Brits telling me they like it, it annoys the heck out of me. It was invented in Scotland by an immigrant Pakistani chef. The original is Chicken Makhanwala / Butter Chicken, which is far healthier (ginger, garlic, roast chicken) and even more unhealthy (BUTTER! Lots of it!).

Also, 'phal' is not Indian.

Also, Indians do not use "curry powder".

Also, "Madras curry" doesn't exist in India.

Same goes for "Bombay Potatoes".

-------------

India is a bit like Europe. So, any cuisine not from the west coast (ours is primarily coconut, tamarind, mango powder and kokum based)is 'foreign' to me. Even things that people think are Indian, like Naan and Biryani are out of my cuisine.

But if I had to step outside the country, I would choose:

Chicken a la Kiev (whether it comes from Ukraine or not).
Spaghetti/Tagliatelle Carbonara
Coq Au Vin
The entire British (English/Scot/Irish) Breakfast. Wait, not haggis.
Singapore-style noodles (vermicelli + er... curry powder)
Shawarma - any kind
Steamed wontons. With burnt garlic in soy sauce. mmmmmmm....

I want to try more sushi/sashimi, Korean, Vietnamese stuff.

And proper, American-style ribs.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

UnderAGreySky wrote:The first person to say "Chicken Tikka Masala" in the context of it being an Asian dish will get shot. Seriously. I've had so many Brits telling me they like it, it annoys the heck out of me. It was invented in Scotland by an immigrant Pakistani chef. The original is Chicken Makhanwala / Butter Chicken, which is far healthier (ginger, garlic, roast chicken) and even more unhealthy (BUTTER! Lots of it!).

Also, 'phal' is not Indian.

Also, Indians do not use "curry powder".

Also, "Madras curry" doesn't exist in India.

Same goes for "Bombay Potatoes".

-------------

India is a bit like Europe. So, any cuisine not from the west coast (ours is primarily coconut, tamarind, mango powder and kokum based)is 'foreign' to me. Even things that people think are Indian, like Naan and Biryani are out of my cuisine.
What say you to mutter paneer, railway curry and a galub jamun to finish?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I ate a pile of frog legs a while ago and they´re quite good. I felt a bid bad because of the sheer amount of frogs you have to kill in order to feed a single person.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

fgalkin wrote:
And Russian food, which is not foreign to me, but probably is to you.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I made a batch of borscht not that long ago and loved it.

I'm also frequently looking at the Russian dumplings/ravioli things.

Turns out that working (and formerly living) in the midst of a massive Russian and Russian Jewish immigrant community means you get exposed to some awesome stuff in local delis..