Terry Goodkind Sucks (and steals from Robert Jordan)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Re: Terry Goodkind Sucks (and steals from Robert Jordan)

Post by Bakustra »

She's an eight-year-old, you moron. She doesn't really understand what she's saying or what that means, and it still doesn't justify kicking her in the jaw so hard it slices her fucking tongue off. Even if it was a twenty-year-old and it were the ONLY WAY TO STOP THE BOMB, JACK BAUER ( :roll: ), it still wouldn't justify getting a hard-on about it. Not to mention that Goodkind wrote that. He deliberately wrote a little girl talking shit so that his "hero" could mutilate her, so even if you can valiantly defend mutilating an eight-year-old on the grounds that all the eight-year-old children you know have keen, fully matured moral senses and understanding of what rape really means, Goodkind is a shitty writer because he makes a hero that mutilates little girls for, in fact, talking shit. But hey, would you support breaking the jaws and slicing off the tongues of kids that were sentenced to reformatories for violent and threatening behavior? Either way, you should probably shut up for hypocrisy and/or monstrosity.

PS: Referring to an eight-year-old as a bitch is not exactly helping yourself re: monstrosity, stupidity.

PPS: Eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth leave everybody blind and gap-gummed.

PPPS: The Obama analogy is really goddamned stupid, but let me say that if an eight-year-old threatened that, they would not actually kick her in the face hard enough to shatter her jaw and slice off her tongue, and none of them would have a woody while doing it.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Bakustra wrote:She's an eight-year-old, you moron. She doesn't really understand what she's saying or what that means,
Yet strangely she understands the concept of torture. Moreover she has some command over those troops of hers, and I am pretty sure they understand what those commands means, so she is still a threat.

Point two : apparently Bakustra is so god damn stupid that as an eight year old he doesn't understand that if you chop someone's head off, they will die. :roll:
and it still doesn't justify kicking her in the jaw so hard it slices her fucking tongue off.
Even though such an action can save the lives of the person you love? Or at least the other people this sociopath is most probably going to kill during her life. Clearly the life of a sociopath outweighs all the other people.

But when you can have yourself tortured, strung up and someone manage to subdue that person without hurting them, then you might have a point. :roll:
Even if it was a twenty-year-old and it were the ONLY WAY TO STOP THE BOMB, JACK BAUER ,
Here you demonstrate your moral ineptitude. Its the hypothetical bombers well being vs how many people they will harm? But hey, lets just state out loud that it doesn't justify because you say so. But since you did, lets play your Jack Bauer 24 game. Why wouldn't hitting them so hard that it maims them when you are in no position to do anything but, be justified if it even saves one innocent life and its "the ONLY WAY TO STOP THE BOMB, JACK BAUER". Do you think an innocent person's life is worth more than your hypothetical bomber's?

Now for you next trick explain how after being tortured for what.. days on end and strung up you are supposed to try and stop them without hurting them. All Richard could do was swing around and hit the bitch. But apparently Bakustra is huf huf macho man that after such a situation he could magically break out of his bonds and subdue without hurting them or either pacifist coward who will let the bad guy kill more people even though he has the power to attempt to do it because he is afraid of hurting the bad guy.
it still wouldn't justify getting a hard-on about it.
I don't remember criticising that part (of your post), perhaps you might point out where I did. Oh wait, you can't because I disputed how you described a threat to rape and kill as merely "talking shit about someones girlfriend."

Here I will make it easy for you. By debating rule 5 back up your claim that I justified that piece of Goodkind's writing or concede the point, little chickenshit.
Not to mention that Goodkind wrote that. He deliberately wrote a little girl talking shit so that his "hero" could mutilate her, so even if you can valiantly defend mutilating an eight-year-old on the grounds that all the eight-year-old children you know have keen, fully matured moral senses and understanding of what rape really means,
Children who kill are rare (even if they don't understand what rape means, they can understand that chopping off your head will kill you moron). Off the top of my head I can think of 3 real life examples of children who kill. One of them having killed multiple times starting at age 13. And in case you wonder how he got away with it, give you a clue, he was born in 5th century AD and ascended the Chinese throne at age 10. You don't suppose he had to power to do this shit because he was royalty, kind of like a certain princess in the Goodkind books.

However they do occur in the real world rarely. Oh wait, they also occurred rarely in the Goodkind books because Violet is the only one who even threatens such shit among all the children we see. Because in Bakustra world, rare = shitty author. Seriously dude, Goodkind's writing has problems (I even listed them) but because his villain has a rare characteristic, its bullshit. :D
Goodkind is a shitty writer because he makes a hero that mutilates little girls for, in fact, talking shit.
Because threatening to kill someone is talking shit WHEN YOU HAVE THE POWER TO ACTUALLY MAKE IT HAPPEN. She is a goddamn fucking princess who has her mother's ear, and they command an army. Granted it was most probably a shitty army as far as Goodkind story goes, but I doubt Kahlan can fight a squad off all by herself. Fucking moron. Unlike Bakustra who could most probably subdue them all by just waving his little pinky. :D
But hey, would you support breaking the jaws and slicing off the tongues of kids that were sentenced to reformatories for violent and threatening behavior?
Look, the strawmen keep coming. Come back when those kids actually have the power to carry out their threats, have demonstrated said power before, and the person who can perhaps stop is chained up and can only manage a powerful swinging motion of their body. But lets simplify things for Bakustra's simplistic mind. Its much easier that way. :roll:
Either way, you should probably shut up for hypocrisy and/or monstrosity.
So says that guy who is so afraid of hurting his hypothetical bomber that he would do jack and shit. Oh wait I forgot. Bakustra is huf huf internet tough guy and after being tortured and chained up he will break up and subdue the bomber with no problems without having to hurt him. Fuck you Bruce Lee, there is new martial arts supremo in town. :D Bakustra, fuck yeah.
PS: Referring to an eight-year-old as a bitch is not exactly helping yourself re: monstrosity, stupidity.
Oh noes, the miss manners brigade.
PPS: Eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth leave everybody blind and gap-gummed.
Oh my god. :roll: :roll: :roll: This so fucking childish. If I could be bothered I would solve this conundrum for you so that everybody doesn't become blind and gap-gummed, but I will just point to posts by Stuart in the Iran sentences acid thrower to blindness with acid or some such name thread when he schooled Valdemar on that.
PPPS: The Obama analogy is really goddamned stupid, but let me say that if an eight-year-old threatened that, they would not actually kick her in the face hard enough to shatter her jaw and slice off her tongue, and none of them would have a woody while doing it.
PS : It was refering to the fact that threatening someone is more than merely "talking shit" when you have the fucking power and means to carry out said threat. The kicking her in the face was because Richard was fucking chained and tortured moron and in no condition to actually get up and subdue her, unlike Bakustra who as we know is a macho macho man who can do it with no problems. :wanker:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

And mr friendly guy supports mutilating children if they've been really bad. Here, let me break this down for you. There are two parts to this. The first is simple. You are assuming that the kid is the sole instigator, and that the mutilation was some planned effort by Richard to prevent her from torturing his chica. Instead, what she says is that her mother will deal with Richard's squeeze, and then she starts the shit-talking. Now, where exactly would she have gotten this from? Her mother! So mutilating the girl would only make things worse for Kahlan, seeing as now her mother would be probably angrier than she's ever been in her whole life- oh, wait, she's probably a sociopath too, just like her little girl is. I'm not sure how you can diagnose this well enough to argue for it. Are you a psychiatric professional? A clinical psychologist?

Richard also wasn't making any moral justifications. He simply got hard and kicked, without thinking. Oh, perhaps Goodkind simply didn't reveal this in his inner monologue, despite us being privy to his thought processes.

This is secondary to your curious blindness. You admit that the peace protesters are strawmen for Richard to kill. But you refuse to admit that Goodkind did the same with the little girl, and that there was no reason why he should have a kid be mutilated by his "hero".
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Having not read the book, I'm just going to say one thing: mr friendly guy doesn't seem to be arguing that it's necessarily a smart thing to do - just that it's not completely shit writing, and that given the circumstances it's not an indication that Richard is a completely worthless human being.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

This guy must have read the book the same way military wankers and RDA apologist watched Avatar. I read those earlier books in the WoT when I was in high school and I can still tell you why he is a master swordsman. Granted this might be because Jordan's writing in those early books were actually good.

1. He picked up tips from Lan who is a master swordsman.

2. He manages to access Lews Therin's memories, the original Dragon being a master swordsman as stated by the Forsaken Be'lial ?sp in book 3 (shit I still remember this stuff, but this awesome reviewer can't)

3. He practices. I believe it was in book 7 he practices against numerous swordsmasters and pays whichever one manages to strike him.
And the swordsman work together so that one of them can land a blow :P I liked that bit. I don't think that he should have bothered becoming a master swordsman- if someone stoped him from using magic, they would just put an arrow through his head. Still, it makes sense as something he'd do- at the least it could be because he enjoys it.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Stark wrote:I just found out Goodkind is 60. Dear, dear me, what a dirty old man. :lol:
Let's be fair. He's probably had those fantasies since puberty, when he was doing whatever it is that those creepy skinny guys who can't take the hint that even nerds have standards do at that age.

Can't expect a fellow to dump his most intimate dreams in a mere forty five years. :P
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'll add in a few details Mr Friendly guy left out
1. He picked up tips from Lan who is a master swordsman.

2. He manages to access Lews Therin's memories, the original Dragon being a master swordsman as stated by the Forsaken Be'lial ?sp in book 3 (shit I still remember this stuff, but this awesome reviewer can't)

3. He practices. I believe it was in book 7 he practices against numerous swordsmasters and pays whichever one manages to strike him.
1A. He picked up tips from Lan because he was carrying his father's heron marked sword (Tam was also an accredited sword-master). In WoT-Verse a heron marked blade is the equivalent of writing "certified bad-ass" on your sword. In the early parts of book 1 he got out of a few fights because of this. He knew next to nothing about sword fighting in book 1.

1B. By the time book 2 has rolled around he has been trained by Lan on and off again and spends a solid three weeks training under him between Book 1/Book 2.

1C. He has endured dozens of fights with said sword and survived part by luck and part by what he's been picking up.

2B. As the books go on more and more of Lewis Therin's memories and sometimes abilities leak into him. A classic example is book 8 or 9 when he is able to start sketching things with an excellent hand despite having never had any thoughts towards artistic pursuits, something that was one Therin's passions. And it very much is a nothing... nothing.. bam decent sketch artist. Considering Therin was also a master swordsman who knows what tricks leaked over from his Therin memories.

3A. He practices a lot in fact it's implied and show several times its what he does with his down time that he gets. By the time of book 7 it's been nearly two years since he's left home and he's been training under a half a dozen life time fighters. And since Sword's training is his idea of leisure time he does it frequently, like every single day frequently.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Lusankya wrote:Having not read the book, I'm just going to say one thing: mr friendly guy doesn't seem to be arguing that it's necessarily a smart thing to do - just that it's not completely shit writing, and that given the circumstances it's not an indication that Richard is a completely worthless human being.
I'm going to say that setting up a situation in which a person mutilating a kid is the only viable choice is shitty writing regardless, and that the book fails to even do that. Furthermore, making Richard simply lash out violently wouldn't make him completely worthless, but the whole portrayal is that it's the right thing to do, and the girl gets her tongue grown back magically and becomes one of the villains, because all who oppose Richard are inevitably evil. So overall, it becomes just another brick in the wall of awful that makes up the Sword of Truth and its underlying principles.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bakustra wrote: I'm going to say that setting up a situation in which a person mutilating a kid is the only viable choice is shitty writing regardless, and that the book fails to even do that. Furthermore, making Richard simply lash out violently wouldn't make him completely worthless, but the whole portrayal is that it's the right thing to do, and the girl gets her tongue grown back magically and becomes one of the villains, because all who oppose Richard are inevitably evil. So overall, it becomes just another brick in the wall of awful that makes up the Sword of Truth and its underlying principles.
The point isn't that its not bad writing. The point is that that's about the worst thing you can point to to say that Richard is pathetic. You've got eleven books of Goodkind having events along that vein happen. Pick one where Richard isn't chained to a ceiling, tortured to what, for him at the time, might as well be dillusionment, and lashed out instinctively. It's not that too hard to find a situation. Check out the end of Book 2 if you need with the Council of the Midlands if you really need help.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bakustra wrote: I'm going to say that setting up a situation in which a person mutilating a kid is the only viable choice is shitty writing regardless, and that the book fails to even do that. Furthermore, making Richard simply lash out violently wouldn't make him completely worthless, but the whole portrayal is that it's the right thing to do, and the girl gets her tongue grown back magically and becomes one of the villains, because all who oppose Richard are inevitably evil. So overall, it becomes just another brick in the wall of awful that makes up the Sword of Truth and its underlying principles.
The point isn't that its not bad writing. The point is that that's about the worst thing you can point to to say that Richard is pathetic. You've got eleven books of Goodkind having events along that vein happen. Pick one where Richard isn't chained to a ceiling, tortured to what, for him at the time, might as well be dillusionment, and lashed out instinctively. It's not that too hard to find a situation. Check out the end of Book 2 with the Council of the Midlands if you really need help.

EDIT: FFFF....tried to correct a spelling error...can someone get rid of the first post? :lol:
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

It's a situation that is so far beyond the pale, alongside the peace protester massacre, that you cannot but help bring it up, because it is immediately horrific and only manages to get worse with context. It would have been on the verge of taste in a novel wherein Richard was an anti-hero who eventually atones or comes to terms with his violent and horrendous actions. Making it a moral and correct decision and action, as Goodkind does, and describing it in such a manner as to imply sexual arousal in his protagonist, and realizing that the entire situation was contrived to allow his hero to mutilate a child and still be heroic... well, there are some novels, which, at their core, are peaceful. There are some that are brilliant and uplifting. There are some that are unsettling. The Sword of Truth at its core is an abyss of madness, a seeming relic from Htrae, a burning light of insanity that serves to throw into relief the essential sanity of the world we are familiar with. At least, that's my opinion.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Hey Bakustra, you accused me of trying to justify Goodkind's paedophile bit. Back that up you chicken shit.

By debating rule 5 back up your claim that I justified supported Goodkind's paedophile bit or concede.

Let me guess. You are going to run away. Maybe after you masturbated to Goodkind SUXS you might have built up enough courage to defend the point.
Bakustra wrote:And mr friendly guy supports mutilating children if they've been really bad.
Oh look, the cowardly shithead refuses point by point debating. Whats the matter, afraid you won't back up your case.

Wow, the strawmen keep coming, but I guess since you already accused me of supporting Goodkind's paedophilia its really not something.

No fuck wit, I said it was ok to do that to protect yourself and loved ones, especially when you can do (after being fucking chained up and tortured), is swing your body in the general direction. Now you might say if Richard could get free and subdue her without, then its morally better. Well come up with evidence that he can oh martial arts supremo. Oh wait, you didn't when I challenged you to describe that.

Here let me test your enlighten immoral system.

Since you played the 24 card, lets use that as an example. From your own words, if maiming someone is the ONLY WAY (yes thats it CAPITALS just how you like it) to stop a bomb going off, and since this is 24 lets assume a competent bomber and the bomb will kill, say 100 people. Why is it not ok under your ethnics system as stated by yourself. Under my system is ok if its the ONLY WAY because the net positive gain to society outweighs the negative. 100 people alive vs one terrorist dead who will most likely cause more harm. Both under a Utilitarianism and rights base ethics system that would be justified. The former because of greater utility from 100 lives saved vs one maimed and the latter because you rights go only as far as not to compromise someone else's, ergo the bomber did not have a right to set off the bomb.

So why is such a case not ethically justifiable under your ethic system? Do you even have an ethics system, aside from Goodkind SUXS.

Let me test my psychic powers and see how you go

1. You will say its a false dilemna even though by their very nature, an ethical dilemna has an answer does not benefit everyone, and hence its a test of your ethical system and "where do you draw the line" and "how far will you go". You will of course chicken out and refuse to answer BECAUSE IT WILL SHOW YOUR MORAL SYSTEM TO BE ETHICALLY BANKRUPT. Hey, you are an ethical coward and also avoid answering points, at least you are consistent.

2. You will say that you sooo smart you can find a way to stop the bomb without having to maim that person, but yet strangely despite ample opportunity you refuse to demonstrate how Richard could subdue her without what actually happened. Oh wait, you refuse to harm the person who has tortured you and is threatening to do so to others, and has the means to do so, because you are afraid of hurting them. No wonder you just don't like point by point debating.
Here, let me break this down for you. There are two parts to this. The first is simple. You are assuming that the kid is the sole instigator, and that the mutilation was some planned effort by Richard to prevent her from torturing his chica.
Let me break this down for you. Prove I am assuming the kid is the sole instigator. While you are at it prove that I supported Goodkind's paedophile bit. But I bet you will run away from this as well.
Instead, what she says is that her mother will deal with Richard's squeeze, and then she starts the shit-talking. Now, where exactly would she have gotten this from? Her mother! So mutilating the girl would only make things worse for Kahlan, seeing as now her mother would be probably angrier than she's ever been in her whole life-
Ah, the same logic which religious apologist use. If religion didn't cause all those deaths and suffering, someone other philosophy will. Ah, if Violet isn't harming people, her mother will do it anyway. BTW making things worse for Kahlan will only happen if they catch her, and since they were going to rape her and then decapitate her, I can't see it making things "worse." But nice try.

But lets play it your way, since you like postulating what if scenarios. Richard in doing that to Violet realised that through an act of plot an awakening of his magical abilities he can actually break free of Denna's Mord Sith anti magic binding. Coupled with Darken Rahl's mind games it gives him the clue to finally break free of Denna (which due to shitty writing weird D'haran bullshit fiat from Darken Rahl, even though Rahl wanted him to escape it wouldn't work unless he broke free of the Mord Sith's control) and eventually figure how to stop Darken Rahl. So if Richard didn't do that, he would still be a prisoner of the Mord Sith, won't figure out how to trick Darken Rahl, and either Darken Rahl would win, or destroy the world (if he picked the wrong plot device magical box). Hey look, isn't playing the what if card fun. :D
oh, wait, she's probably a sociopath too, just like her little girl is. I'm not sure how you can diagnose this well enough to argue for it.
Even if she wasn't its irrelevant. She is still a threat and subduing her is ethically justifiable. It just turns out the only way was to hit her by swinging your body in general direction, but it just so happen to have enough force to maim her. What's next, are you going to say I can't call her a "bitch" because I am not biologist. :roll:
Are you a psychiatric professional? A clinical psychologist?
Well since you insist, I am fully qualified medical doctor and a member of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians having passed part one of their exams. Not that my qualifications are relevant to my main point, since I was using sociopath as an insult. I would ask for your qualifications, but I somehow think lining up for your welfare check isn't something you want to boast about.
Richard also wasn't making any moral justifications. He simply got hard and kicked, without thinking.

How fortunate that without thinking he made the right moral choice.
Oh, perhaps Goodkind simply didn't reveal this in his inner monologue, despite us being privy to his thought processes.
This is secondary to your curious blindness. You admit that the peace protesters are strawmen for Richard to kill. But you refuse to admit that Goodkind did the same with the little girl, and that there was no reason why he should have a kid be mutilated by his "hero".
:banghead: :banghead:

You will also note that I said the peace protesters in his books were dicks. They were dicks because Goodkind caricatured peace protesters and made them unlike their real life counterparts. Even if Violet was a strawman of something else, it doesn't change the fact that in-universe, she was a bitch. But unlike you I can actually separate the in-universe characters from the real world ones which Goodkind attempted to strawman. Try again.
Bakustra wrote: I'm going to say that setting up a situation in which a person mutilating a kid is the only viable choice is shitty writing regardless,
Ah, so Goodkind's writing is shitty not because his protagonist does immoral things and is still potrayed as the hero, but because the situation is so weird / rare that its shitty. Is that a concession? :D

Tell you what. Here is a challenge, if my google fu / research abilities can find a real life example where killing a kid (not just mutilating, but even worse killing) is a reasonable viable choice for the adult individual doing it, thus proving that weird / rare shit do occur, but not commonly, will you concede that this particular part is not shitty writing. Yes or no, and if no why not (besides a pathetic attempt to shift the goalposts of course).
Lusankya wrote:Having not read the book, I'm just going to say one thing: mr friendly guy doesn't seem to be arguing that it's necessarily a smart thing to do - just that it's not completely shit writing, and that given the circumstances it's not an indication that Richard is a completely worthless human being.
Well its not completely shit writing if I could theoretically find a real life example which is somewhat similar, say downright including the kid torturing the adult and the adult having to kill the kid to protect himself. Not that I have a real life example off the top of my head. :mrgreen:

But my point from the ethics is this

a. Action 1 is morally justifiable (even if it includes maiming) if the benefits outweigh doing nothing. In this case its more from an objective "threat removal" perspective and less of a subjective - whether she "deserves it" or punishment objective.

b) Action 2 may be morally more justifiable than action one if it achieves the same "threat removal" affect without the serious injury.

c) A person might be considered a dick if they choose action 1, when action 2 is available for the choice rather than the action they carry out.

d) In Richard's case, action 1 (swinging his body in a general direction) was the only one he could do for the simple reason had was chained up, tortured for days, and only at that stage realised his act of plot innate magical ability can overcome the anti magic bind on him, etc. I am still waiting for Dipshit boy to explain how Richard is supposed to get out of his bonds after being tortured for days with a magical object which makes American enhanced interrogation tactics look pathetic, and apply a non lethal Vulcan nerve pinch on princess Violet and thus complete performing action 2. But I wouldn't count on a reply.

But regardless of whether in real life an adult has to kill the kid to protect himself, I actually thought the situation wasn't as crap as some of Goodkind's other writing. Now Goodkind has a tendency to make his villains evilTM so that we know who to hate. The Imperial Order rapes and treats women like dirt etc, misues their magical users etc. In this case he made the villains so evilTM that even their kids act like goddamn sociopaths. However I think this was quite chilling, and whether Goodkind intentionally had this in mind or not, IMO it was more effective at showing how evil the bad guys were than his other attempts.

On another note, having a child who engages in torture of real human beings isn't the most chilling thing I have seen in a fantasy novel. That would go to Steven Erikson's, Pannion Domin, where the civilians follow the army around but are not given food so they cannibalise the dead, and the most warped part is that their civilian women get the semen of the dead and dying and impregnate themselves with it, giving rise to the "Children of the Dead seed."
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

So you think that I'm a coward because I'm not willing to subject myself to your headache-inducing format known as "point-by-point debate", or as I like to call it, "julienned debate". Well, I'm not sure how to respond to that. Much like Goodkind's works, it bespeaks of an alien logic foreign to the world we live in.

See, you're trying to defend it as being something other than terrible. So you have to account for the fact that it implies arousal on Richard's part or admit that it's poorly written because of that. So I assumed that when you defend the writing in general, as you have been doing, and as you will deny that you have done, because you yourself have a hard-on of your own for this crappy series, that you were trying to justify all of it. But instead, you dance around it, insisting that I prove that you intended to justify pedophilic implications while simultaneously saying that it's not crappy writing. Well, I have a challenge of my own. Explain why unintentionally implying your protagonist to be a pedophile is good writing, or at the very least not terrible writing. That is essential to making this passage anything other than terrible, since you have to deal with all the factors that make it shoddy.

You're outright delusional about your "sociopath" comment, since you used it to defend your claims that the child had a clear moral understanding of what she was doing and that she was irredeemably evil and all that, along with simply making shit up in order to defend your torture fantasies (that is a genuine insult, by the way. You should probably take a picture or make a sketch so you can remember what one looks like). So if you want to claim that mutilating her is not only a moral outcome, but in fact the moral outcome. This is ridiculous even under your distorted thought experiment.

Let's break your thought experiment down. Yes, if you are in a situation where God has beamed knowledge directly into your head that you must break this little girl's jaw and slice her tongue in half in order to save the life of yourself and your girlfriend. In real life, as opposed to the moral universe you inhabit, though, we are not so gifted as to have perfect knowledge of each situation. In the actual scenario, the little girl is not in isolation. If Richard mutilates her, guards or caretakers will come in, see her bleeding on the floor, and then Richard will probably be tortured or executed, and they sure as hell won't spare his girlfriend. In the actual situation, there is no connection between mutilating the girl and survival and escape. You ignore this because you have some compulsion to defend this scene and insist that it's not terribly written. But this moves into my next point.

Richard does escape via this. Through a contrived response that has no logical connection to what he did. This scene is contrived solely so that Goodkind can have his hero kick a girl in the face and it be the correct action,- and he fails at even that. This is a useful definition of terrible writing- advancing the plot through a nonsensical turn of events, using said nonsensical turn of events to include pointless scenes for unknown reasons, failing at having any of it make sense, and unintentionally causing the reader to lose sympathy for his protagonist. This is excellent proof that Goodkind is as terrible a writer as he is an excuse for a human being- he can't even contrive a scenario or force a moral dilemma right!

Even in-universe, it's mommy that makes the decisions, not the Princess. Mutilating her will not get you out of the chains in a logical scenario, nor would it even if you made her the Queen. In the second scenario it might save your girlfriend, but probably not. At best it might just mean that they kill her and you. Well done, you've successfully demonstrated that contrived moral scenarios bear little resemblance to the main thing!

You also falsely implied that this was a cognitive decision of Richard's. It was not, which disqualifies it from a heroic action regardless, and, as we have seen, it would not have helped Richard in a scenario that was not poorly contrived by Goodkind or yourself. So it is not moral either, and frankly quite dumb, though perhaps understandable. A better writer might have made something of it, but on the other had, better writers would probably not touch such an obviously contrived situation with a ten-foot pole.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Ummm... not to get into the middle of this, but Richard doesn't actually get an erection when kicking her.

The "Thing rising up within him" discussed in the book is his magic, drawn upon by his emotion and building said emotion, allowing him to kick her in the face.

Note I am not jumping onto either side of this debate, but just wanted to point out that calling Goodkind a pedophile because of this is well... stupid. Is it badly written and could be taken that way? Yes. Has it been taken that way? Yes. Was it meant to be taken that way? Not from the writers intent, since we never see such lustful ambitions regarding this character and children ever again in any way shape or form.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Bakustra wrote:So you think that I'm a coward because I'm not willing to subject myself to your headache-inducing format known as "point-by-point debate", or as I like to call it, "julienned debate".
You are aware of board culture and debating rules right? The gutless coward refuses to do point by point so he can do giant strawmen distortions, AM I RITE.
Well, I'm not sure how to respond to that. Much like Goodkind's works, it bespeaks of an alien logic foreign to the world we live in.
Translation, I don't have to debate points I can't respond to. Look at me. Oh look Bakustra is so special he doesn't have to address what someone says.
See, you're trying to defend it as being something other than terrible.
I defend one part of it. Apparently it equates to defending all. Dumbass. Despite the fact that you must have read my criticisms of Goodkind's work, of which there were more negative ones than positive.
So you have to account for the fact that it implies arousal on Richard's part or admit that it's poorly written because of that.
You know what, instead of me saying I didn't tried to defend this part (since I don't actually remember all of the book because its been a while its pointless me trying to defend a passage I don't remember), I want you to quote the relevant passage instead of me just providing all the evidence. Let you do some work for a change.
So I assumed that when you defend the writing in general, as you have been doing, and as you will deny that you have done, because you yourself have a hard-on of your own for this crappy series, that you were trying to justify all of it.
Since I kind of made MORE negative criticisms of Goodkind's writing than positive ones, how they hell do you justified that I "defend the writing in general". Can you not count properly? But you know what. You just jerked off with the Goodkind SUXS brigade and when I called you out on one particular aspect you just tried to manufacture a giant strawman, that I defend the worse parts of Goodkind's writing because it easier to debate.
But instead, you dance around it, insisting that I prove that you intended to justify pedophilic implications while simultaneously saying that it's not crappy writing.
Lets take a trip down memory lane
earlier Bakustra wrote:She's an eight-year-old, you moron. She doesn't really understand what she's saying or what that means, and it still doesn't justify kicking her in the jaw so hard it slices her fucking tongue off. Even if it was a twenty-year-old and it were the ONLY WAY TO STOP THE BOMB, JACK BAUER ( :roll: ), it still wouldn't justify getting a hard-on about it.
So unless you refer calling someone else a moron, yes, you did accuse me of defending Goodkind's paedophile writing. Now back up your claim that I did or concede coward.
Well, I have a challenge of my own. Explain why unintentionally implying your protagonist to be a pedophile is good writing,or at the very least not terrible writing. That is essential to making this passage anything other than terrible, since you have to deal with all the factors that make it shoddy.
Another strawman. Hey moron, I said Richard defending himself and his loved ones isn't bad. I also said your statement that someone with the means and will to threaten someone is more than just "talking shit".

I didn't comment on the paedophile thing since I don't remember the passage. Kind of hard to defend something you don't remember, no. And even if it was, I wouldn't defend it because its indefensible. Duh. And once again you accuse me of defending the paedophile thing but then say, oh no I didn't accuse you of that.

So once again under debating rule 5 prove I defended the paedophile part of Goodkind's writing.
You're outright delusional about your "sociopath" comment, since you used it to defend your claims that the child had a clear moral understanding of what she was doing and that she was irredeemably evil and all that, along with simply making shit up in order to defend your torture fantasies (that is a genuine insult, by the way.
I know you are stupid, so I will explain it very very very slowly for you. The sociopath comment is an insult moron as I stated previously. The main point is that Richard was defending himself and his loved ones and from the perspective of "removing the threat" it was justified. If removing the threat leads to greater utility its morally justifiable regardless of whether that threat is criminally culpable. For example (not analogy, an example) we kill rabid animals to protect ourselves, but I don't see you protesting that the animals don't understand what they are doing. I bet you are going to create a strawman and say I compare a human being to an animal, AM I RITE?
You should probably take a picture or make a sketch so you can remember what one looks like). So if you want to claim that mutilating her is not only a moral outcome, but in fact the moral outcome. This is ridiculous even under your distorted thought experiment.
So come up with how Richard should stop the torture without mutilating her body after being fucking tortured and in chains. I have challenged you to do this but like the gutless coward you run away. I have said that you could make a case for subduing her without maiming you could say its morally better. But in that situation you cannot. But like the coward you are you refuse to even acknowledge this point and keep on avoiding it. Why is that I wonder.
Let's break your thought experiment down. Yes, if you are in a situation where God has beamed knowledge directly into your head that you must break this little girl's jaw and slice her tongue in half in order to save the life of yourself and your girlfriend. In real life, as opposed to the moral universe you inhabit, though, we are not so gifted as to have perfect knowledge of each situation.
You know, when the opponent has to rely on "no one has perfect knowledge", a common creationist version of arguing from ignorance btw, you know they are very weak.
In the actual scenario, the little girl is not in isolation. If Richard mutilates her, guards or caretakers will come in, see her bleeding on the floor, and then Richard will probably be tortured or executed, and they sure as hell won't spare his girlfriend.
Ok, lets play it your way. If Richard gets executed, at that point I can fairly say thats what he wants so Darken Rahl doesn't get knowledge of the book of counted shadows. How can I be sure. Because unlike your perfect knowlege, when Richard was brought before Darken Rahl he dared Rahl to cut open his guts (because Rahl's magic could read the future from gut entrails or some shit) in the hope that he denies Darken Rahl his knowledge. So that would be a plus, and it ends his torture. Only later when he figures out how to defeat Rahl then I could say he probably wants to live.

Funny you should mention it won't spare his girlfried. Actually it did help. The sequence of event goes like this.

Queen Mileena gets angry and wants to kill Richard. But since Darken Rahl wants Richard (for his secret knowlege), Denna his torturer is obligated to protect him. She kills the Queen. So not only did this not make things worse for Kahlan (since she now only has to deal Darken Rahl's goons), it actually had the potential to make things better for her country since Darken Rahl would be defeated shortly (well if viceroy ruled in Violet's name). The new viceroy could very well revert to their old non communist socialist policy, which if you recalled, the Queen's policy required those farmers who work to supply food to those who couldn't be bothered to work. Hence if getting rid of this strawman system will actually benefit that country. So yes, in universe maiming the bitch actually turned out to have added benefits, despite the "oh won't this just make things worse for Kahlan" whining from you.

So even without perfect knowledge it turned out to be much better than you postulate. Even with your stooooopid what if scenarios, you still fucking lose. Man you can't catch a break. :roll:

Now I have done you the courtesy of addressing your bullshit scenario, why will you not do the same, especially when you yourself stated the ethical dilemna I use, and I merely asked you to justify it.

lets repeat just for you

Since you played the 24 card, lets use that as an example. From your own words, if maiming someone is the ONLY WAY (yes thats it CAPITALS just how you like it) to stop a bomb going off, and since this is 24 lets assume a competent bomber and the bomb will kill, say 100 people. Why is it not ok under your ethnics system as stated by yourself. Under my system is ok if its the ONLY WAY because the net positive gain to society outweighs the negative. 100 people alive vs one terrorist dead who will most likely cause more harm. Both under a Utilitarianism and rights base ethics system that would be justified. The former because of greater utility from 100 lives saved vs one maimed and the latter because you rights go only as far as not to compromise someone else's, ergo the bomber did not have a right to set off the bomb.

So why is such a case not ethically justifiable under your ethic system? Do you even have an ethics system, aside from Goodkind SUXS.

In the actual situation, there is no connection between mutilating the girl and survival and escape.
Actually as I shown before and after not only did it lead to escape, it also prevents the bitch from causing more harm (until she recovers, which takes about several books later), a point you continually ignore.
You ignore this because you have some compulsion to defend this scene and insist that it's not terribly written.
Aside from the moral angle you haven't... ah fuck it. I am wasting my time talking using detailed explanations for a dipshit who won't address the point. So lets make this short and sweet. That is an appeal to motive fallacy. You lose.
But this moves into my next point.

Richard does escape via this. Through a contrived response that has no logical connection to what he did. This scene is contrived solely so that Goodkind can have his hero kick a girl in the face and it be the correct action,- and he fails at even that. This is a useful definition of terrible writing- advancing the plot through a nonsensical turn of events, using said nonsensical turn of events to include pointless scenes for unknown reasons, failing at having any of it make sense, and unintentionally causing the reader to lose sympathy for his protagonist. This is excellent proof that Goodkind is as terrible a writer as he is an excuse for a human being- he can't even contrive a scenario or force a moral dilemma right!
Don't look at me, you are the one who insisted on playing this "what if" game and now you are whining because you lose in it. Fucking sore loser.
Even in-universe, it's mommy that makes the decisions, not the Princess.
Because children have absolutely no influence on their parents. :roll:
Mutilating her will not get you out of the chains in a logical scenario, nor would it even if you made her the Queen.
I am going hazard a guess it stop her from torturing you which she was doing just a few moments before. :roll: I trust you can figure out why torturing someone for less hours of the day = better than more hours. And if they did kill Richard, remember he wanted to die to prevent Rahl getting his knowledge on the book of counted shadows. So you lose either way.
In the second scenario it might save your girlfriend, but probably not.
Except in the story, it did improve things. But you tried playing the "what if" game and it doesn't turn out the way you think "it should", you then whine.

At best it might just mean that they kill her and you. Well done, you've successfully demonstrated that contrived moral scenarios bear little resemblance to the main thing!
The contrived moral scenario I challenged you to was stated by yourself you DISHONEST FUCKWIT. Did you not say it was wrong to maim someone even if ITS THE ONLY WAY to stop the bomb, JACK BAEUR. I challenged you to justify your own moral dilemna. What cheek you fucking tosser.
You also falsely implied that this was a cognitive decision of Richard's.
Aside from stop her torturing me again, and stop her harming Kahlan, I figured that is all the cognitive decision in it for Richard. I just analysed the rest of it.
It was not, which disqualifies it from a heroic action regardless,
Wow. We have gone from Goodkind's writing sucks because his hero does an immoral action, the writing is bad because the hero doesn't actually think about all he does.

and, as we have seen, it would not have helped Richard in a scenario that was not poorly contrived by Goodkind or yourself.
Ah, so we get to the crux of the matter. Your bitching about someone defending themselves and loved ones aside, the other reason you hate the scenarios is because its contrived. Ok presumably you mean by contrived that its so unlikely that an identical or similar situation cannot occur, rather than created artificially which all fiction is.

So once again if I can find a real life example where a kid tortures and adult and adult manages to make his situation better is killing (worse than maiming) the kid, will you acknowledge that the situation is not contrived. Yes or no, and if no, why not? But I bet you will refuse to acknowledge this point as well.
So it is not moral either, and frankly quite dumb, though perhaps understandable. A better writer might have made something of it, but on the other had, better writers would probably not touch such an obviously contrived situation with a ten-foot pole.
So when I test your ethical framework with scenarios (which you yourself created) you refuse to participate in favour of just stating its not moral.
AMT wrote:Ummm... not to get into the middle of this, but Richard doesn't actually get an erection when kicking her.

The "Thing rising up within him" discussed in the book is his magic, drawn upon by his emotion and building said emotion, allowing him to kick her in the face.

Note I am not jumping onto either side of this debate, but just wanted to point out that calling Goodkind a pedophile because of this is well... stupid. Is it badly written and could be taken that way? Yes. Has it been taken that way? Yes. Was it meant to be taken that way? Not from the writers intent, since we never see such lustful ambitions regarding this character and children ever again in any way shape or form.
If thats the case, it might be why I don't remember Richard being a paedophile.

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Hey, you don't actually get to demand that I respond by slicing sentences into tiny fragments, no matter how much you whine about "board culture" and how the rules somehow require that I do this. So I will put my response in an even more condensed and general form, not only because it annoys you (a happy bonus) but because I sincerely hate julienned debate, and so will devote this post to combating it as well.

There are three areas of critique I have of the writing. The first part is "his thing rose up in him". This implies sexual arousal on the part of Richard. It is faulty because it implies pedophilia and snuff-fetishism on his behalf, thanks to Goodkind's ineptitude with metaphors. It is faulty because it is a snicker-inducing passage in a supposedly serious scene. It is faulty because it damages the hero as a hero and drains emotional impact from the scene.

The second is the scenario. There is no logical connect between Richard crippling a girl and being able to slip out of his bonds as written. It is a contrivance, pure and simple. There is no logical reason why severely hurting her will make the torture stop- she is not the only person who can do it, and hurting her may well induce the queen to kill him in revenge or a fit of fury. Even if she is literally the only person in the castle who can torture anybody, and the queen is unwilling to harm Richard, then there still is the likelihood that his girlfriend will be killed on her arrival, as revenge or as earlier planned. In other words, you need a series of contrivances to make this truly the best outcome, rather than a brief respite ending with intensified torture or death. You, meanwhile, simply ignore any context in favor of producing absurdly self-referential scenarios and insisting that they have any real value. Yes, if you construct a scenario in which torture is the least immoral option, then you have a tautology and torture will be the least immoral option. (I highlighted that so that your literacy-impaired self will be able to pick it out. I feel that the pathetic need their victories too.) But that needs to have relationship to reality to be valid. In real life, you have things like, "information gained is a mix of true and false and based more on what the victim thinks we want to hear", and "gee it looks like word got out and now enemy operatives commit suicide rather than be captured by us" and "all the people you ordered to torture the enemy are now pretty fucked up in the head." There is more than just the single factor you pull out to justify mutilating an eight-year-old, and these factors apply as well, you quacking buffoon. The fact that you pull out more shit that is not logically connected just makes it evident that you simply don't understand what I am saying.

The third is the writing. This scene is pointless and tasteless, and seems to have been included for no readily apparent reason beyond a possible hatred of children on the behalf of Goodkind. It serves to get Richard out of imprisonment and awaken his magical powers or whatever the exact terminology your addled brain will produce is. But there is no reason why this particular scene is necessary, and any potential impact is undermined. The hero does the wrong thing- whoops! Turns out she was evil all along and will reappear in a later book to fight Richard again. The hero reacts instinctively and ends up making things worse- nope! In Goodkind's world, acting on immediate reactions always produces moral outcomes if you are Ricky Rahl.

Goodkind twists his world to make whatever his protagonist does right, rather than have his protagonist bend to do the right thing. That is not heroic, and not unheroic, and not anti-heroic. It is a category in and of itself in awful writing, what fanfic writers, bless their sex-obsessed hearts (not really) dub the Mary Sue. It is awful, trash writing, and your defense of it has been spectacularly stupid.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Goodkind's writing sucks because people in his inconsistent world behave illogically, his villains are EXTREMELY EVIL, and his heroes are pure Mary Sue's who can do no wrong, no matter what they do. Plus, his character development is pathetic - "Oh Richard, I love you, but I'm not sure you love me, so I'm going to run away from you... again!" "No Kahlen, I love you, but I think you've betrayed me, but you still give up the pussy, so I'm going to find you... again!"

The only other writer with whom I'm familiar who writes equally unrealistic human behavior is Todd McCaffrey, who has 8 year olds behaving like fully mature adults, and can only seem to write about disease. That hardly means there aren't other crappy writers, but I've just never read them.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

The third is the writing. This scene is pointless and tasteless, and seems to have been included for no readily apparent reason beyond a possible hatred of children on the behalf of Goodkind. It serves to get Richard out of imprisonment and awaken his magical powers or whatever the exact terminology your addled brain will produce is. But there is no reason why this particular scene is necessary, and any potential impact is undermined. The hero does the wrong thing- whoops! Turns out she was evil all along and will reappear in a later book to fight Richard again. The hero reacts instinctively and ends up making things worse- nope! In Goodkind's world, acting on immediate reactions always produces moral outcomes if you are Ricky Rahl.
This is actually incorrect. The point of the scene is that he had earlier partitioned his mind via magic, locking away his core self to keep it safe as he was tortured. The scene itself was used to show what would awaken the locked self, which was not a threat to his own well being, but that for the person he loved.

Could it have been done better? Yes. Was it pointless? Not at all.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

AMT wrote:
This is actually incorrect. The point of the scene is that he had earlier partitioned his mind via magic, locking away his core self to keep it safe as he was tortured. The scene itself was used to show what would awaken the locked self, which was not a threat to his own well being, but that for the person he loved.

It's pointless to have him kick her in the face. First of all, that trait is essentially expected for heroes in our cultural context, so showing it is not particularly necessary unless you want to alter it in some way, or if it also provides further character revelations. This does neither.

What does the kick reveal? Richard takes actions only thinking about the short-term consequences? Not followed up upon ever, and Richard is repeatedly considered to be brilliant, at odds with this interpretation. Richard is extraordinarily violent when loved ones are threatened/in general? Makes sense with other scenes, but at odds with any depiction of him as a hero as opposed to an anti-hero. Goodkind almost certainly wants to us to view Richard as a hero, so that doesn't pan out with his intent either. I also covered the potential revelations of this being a mistake by Richard, but Goodkind makes his hero out to be morally perfect in this context, and indeed in every context.

This scene is pointless because it is tasteless, reveals a trait so bland and generic that it's expected to be there, and then does its best to avoid any other revelations about Richard's character.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Personally I find it funny that Bakustra is using the action to condemn Richard for which any half-educated attourney could get him off for temporary insanity.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Bakustra wrote:
AMT wrote:

It's pointless to have him kick her in the face. First of all, that trait is essentially expected for heroes in our cultural context, so showing it is not particularly necessary unless you want to alter it in some way, or if it also provides further character revelations. This does neither.

What does the kick reveal? Richard takes actions only thinking about the short-term consequences? Not followed up upon ever, and Richard is repeatedly considered to be brilliant, at odds with this interpretation. Richard is extraordinarily violent when loved ones are threatened/in general? Makes sense with other scenes, but at odds with any depiction of him as a hero as opposed to an anti-hero. Goodkind almost certainly wants to us to view Richard as a hero, so that doesn't pan out with his intent either. I also covered the potential revelations of this being a mistake by Richard, but Goodkind makes his hero out to be morally perfect in this context, and indeed in every context.

This scene is pointless because it is tasteless, reveals a trait so bland and generic that it's expected to be there, and then does its best to avoid any other revelations about Richard's character.

Actually I would say that Goodkind did so because he feels that is the type of reaction one should have when a loved one is threatened. As such yes, to any non-insane person it is tasteless, but from an objective view I think it's not pointless at all, as the point being made is that "Threaten Richard's loved ones and he'll take you out."

This makes sense as his battle philosophy evolves into taking out any threat as precisely as possible. See the whole "War Wizard mantra thing" with the cutting and dancing with death.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Gaidin wrote:Personally I find it funny that Bakustra is using the action to condemn Richard for which any half-educated attourney could get him off for temporary insanity.
Personally I find it funny that you feel the need to defend horrible novels, and find it even more funny that you can ignore what I'm saying so blatantly.
AMT wrote:*snip*
But that doesn't really jive with him being heroic. That's an anti-heroic trait, but Goodkind wants to present him as a hero, which is why the novels are horribly written; they would not be if people held Goodkind's horribly broken worldview. But since most people don't, they become novels written with an alien logic to them.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bakustra wrote:
Gaidin wrote:Personally I find it funny that Bakustra is using the action to condemn Richard for which any half-educated attourney could get him off for temporary insanity.
Personally I find it funny that you feel the need to defend horrible novels, and find it even more funny that you can ignore what I'm saying so blatantly.
I'm not defending horrible novels douche. I challenge you to point out where. All I've done is tell you that if you want to condemn Richard based on his actions to not pick the one where he'd just been broken by torture. I was even generous enough to point out at least one event in the novels that does about a 1000% better job saying what you're trying to say.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Bakustra wrote:
AMT wrote:*snip*
But that doesn't really jive with him being heroic. That's an anti-heroic trait, but Goodkind wants to present him as a hero, which is why the novels are horribly written; they would not be if people held Goodkind's horribly broken worldview. But since most people don't, they become novels written with an alien logic to them.
Did I ever say the novels were not horribly written? I never said so. I'm just disputing the claim you make that the scene being discussed is pointless. It obviously is not, as Goodkind used it to make a point, even if it is one he didn't intend.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Bakustra wrote:Hey, you don't actually get to demand that I respond by slicing sentences into tiny fragments, no matter how much you whine about "board culture" and how the rules somehow require that I do this.
The rules require you back your claims.

a. You claimed it was immoral to maim someone even if its the ONLY WAY to stop a bomb going off. You refused to justify why this is so despite me challenging you to it twice. Why? Because you are a fucking coward. Or maybe you realise that in trying to justify your solution to the ethical dilemna which you yourself stated would SHOW YOU TO THE MORALLY BANKRUPT CUMSTAIN COWARD YOU ARE.
So I will put my response in an even more condensed and general form, not only because it annoys you (a happy bonus) but because I sincerely hate julienned debate, and so will devote this post to combating it as well.
Hey the fact that your condensed form doesn't actually address those points you continually dodge has NOOOOTHING to do with it does it? No, its just that you don't like point by point debating. Why then doesn't your condensed form address the point a. Oh I know, you are a chickenshit. I at least address your points even as you resort to "guerilla debating", raise points and when they are demolished raise the same ones or different ones again.
There are three areas of critique I have of the writing. The first part is "his thing rose up in him". This implies sexual arousal on the part of Richard. It is faulty because it implies pedophilia and snuff-fetishism on his behalf, thanks to Goodkind's ineptitude with metaphors. It is faulty because it is a snicker-inducing passage in a supposedly serious scene. It is faulty because it damages the hero as a hero and drains emotional impact from the scene.
For the last time moron I disputed your claim that is was wrong for a person to defend themselves and their loved ones, and that someone threatening to do harm and has demonstrated the ability to do it and has the means is not just merely "talking shit."

(I highlighted that so that your literacy-impaired self will be able to pick it out, because apparently stating in numerous times without the highlight flew right over your head).
The second is the scenario. There is no logical connect between Richard crippling a girl and being able to slip out of his bonds as written. It is a contrivance, pure and simple. There is no logical reason why severely hurting her will make the torture stop- she is not the only person who can do it, and hurting her may well induce the queen to kill him in revenge or a fit of fury. Even if she is literally the only person in the castle who can torture anybody, and the queen is unwilling to harm Richard, then there still is the likelihood that his girlfriend will be killed on her arrival, as revenge or as earlier planned. In other words, you need a series of contrivances to make this truly the best outcome, rather than a brief respite ending with intensified torture or death. You, meanwhile, simply ignore any context in favor of producing absurdly self-referential scenarios and insisting that they have any real value.
This has been dealt with in an earlier post, yet you repeat the same thing just like a creationist WoI tactic. At first I thought you were simply dishonest, but now I think you really are trying your best, despite operating below the level of a primary schooler with regards to reading comprehension. There are organisations which can help you. Like this one here. Their website is http://learningandgrowth.com/
Yes, if you construct a scenario in which torture is the least immoral option, then you have a tautology and torture will be the least immoral option. (I highlighted that so that your literacy-impaired self will be able to pick it out. I feel that the pathetic need their victories too.) But that needs to have relationship to reality to be valid.
All fiction is contrived by definition, ie constructed. However I am pretty sure you are using it in the sense that its rare or highly improbable, hence Goodkind must have "rigged" the scenario. Unless you define what you exactly mean by contrived in a clear unambiguous manner (since contrived can have many meanings and degrees of meaning) I am not going to play this game of trying to guess what you mean. Define what you mean by contrived then we will talk.

In real life, you have things like, "information gained is a mix of true and false and based more on what the victim thinks we want to hear", and "gee it looks like word got out and now enemy operatives commit suicide rather than be captured by us" and "all the people you ordered to torture the enemy are now pretty fucked up in the head." There is more than just the single factor you pull out to justify mutilating an eight-year-old, and these factors apply as well, you quacking buffoon.
Can you rephrase that in plain English please. I am sorry, I don't speak "talking in vague grandiose sentences which are utterly ambiguous."
The fact that you pull out more shit that is not logically connected just makes it evident that you simply don't understand what I am saying.
Oh noes, why can't everyone understand my brilliance. :roll:

Remember folks, taking out a torturer will not stop that torturer doing it to someone else, because a third party will torture you.
Remember folks, provoking them to kill you to end the pain because torture = so bad that death might be a relief is apparently bad. Yes there is no logical connection at all what so ever.
The third is the writing. This scene is pointless and tasteless, and seems to have been included for no readily apparent reason beyond a possible hatred of children on the behalf of Goodkind. It serves to get Richard out of imprisonment and awaken his magical powers or whatever the exact terminology your addled brain will produce is. But there is no reason why this particular scene is necessary, and any potential impact is undermined.
Hang on a minute. The scene serves to awaken's Richard's power yet it doesn't serve a purpose at all. :wtf:

PS: Just stating something is true because you say so is an unsupported claim.

PPS: As I recall it was you who went ape shit with playing the "what if" card and now you whine when you lose

PPPS: Here is that website again. http://learningandgrowth.com/
The hero does the wrong thing- whoops! Turns out she was evil all along and will reappear in a later book to fight Richard again. The hero reacts instinctively and ends up making things worse- nope! In Goodkind's world, acting on immediate reactions always produces moral outcomes if you are Ricky Rahl.
So what has that got to do with my point again that Richard was morally right to defend himself and his love ones. Absolutely nothing. Thanks for playing.
Goodkind twists his world to make whatever his protagonist does right, rather than have his protagonist bend to do the right thing.
Yet strangely you can't actually justify why its wrong except to say its wrong numerous times. Remember the ethical dilemna bit. You remember. The one where you continually avoid. The one where I explained will show your ethical system to be morally bankrupt. Why don't you come and explain to me your oh sooo enlighten morality. I am waiting.
That is not heroic, and not unheroic, and not anti-heroic. It is a category in and of itself in awful writing, what fanfic writers, bless their sex-obsessed hearts (not really) dub the Mary Sue. It is awful, trash writing, and your defense of it has been spectacularly stupid.
Yet strangely you can't actually confront the stupid points head on and demolish it with your brilliant repartee. They say in the land of the witless the half wit is king. In the land of Bakustra the stupid is king, judge and high priest all rolled into one.