The Walking Dead!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Walking Dead!

Post by Azazal »

Over all an ok episode, but for a show about zombies, this one was sorely lacking.

Question for those familiar with the Walking Dead comic
Spoiler
any bets that Dixon shows back up as the Governor?
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Pretty good episode overall. I thought the character drama was a bit much, but the scenes with that handcuffed guy made up for it.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I liked this episode though it was slow at parts. The character drama is a bit much though.

Anyway goddamn that wife-beater got a whopping. Not that he didn't deserve it. Seriously what a douchebag.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Wouldn't a hacksaw be able to cut through a handcuff or whatever piece of metal he was attached to, given enough time? The zombies weren't coming through the door.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Wouldn't a hacksaw be able to cut through a handcuff or whatever piece of metal he was attached to, given enough time? The zombies weren't coming through the door.
Depends on the metal of the links and what the hacksaw is made of. It is possible that he could have but would have taken forever. It is possible that he would have only broken the saw.

Plus, we are talking about a druggy here. Not the most rational creature on Earth. That and he didn't know how long will the chain hold.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Zixinus wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Wouldn't a hacksaw be able to cut through a handcuff or whatever piece of metal he was attached to, given enough time? The zombies weren't coming through the door.
Depends on the metal of the links and what the hacksaw is made of. It is possible that he could have but would have taken forever. It is possible that he would have only broken the saw.

Plus, we are talking about a druggy here. Not the most rational creature on Earth. That and he didn't know how long will the chain hold.
To add in on this, reading an interview with the actor that plays Dixon, the temp on the roof was get up to 130 at times. Dixon was getting pretty loopy to say the least from the heat and thirst. I would not be surprised if in his delirium he tough cutting his hand off was the best and fastest choice for survival
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Maybe he saw Mad Max:

"The chain in those handcuffs is high tensile steel. It'd take you ten minutes to hack through them with this. Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes."

Anyway, so the head from the Walker that reached camp was still active after getting (literally) axed. Hmmm...
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Yeah, they make that point a couple times in the comic. It's the brain or nothing. Decapitation isn't enough for Walking Dead Zombies.

They run on Magic. Just accept it and move on, they are really the least interesting part of the story.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Over all not a bad episode, I was a bit surprised by the twist with the gang. I was expecting some sort of shoot out that drew in the zombies and the mayhem that would follow. I'm guessing they through the twist in to keep the audience going for the long haul. Other then 28 Days Later, I'm pretty sure every other zombie film has made it clear that the survivors are living on borrowed time and it just a matter of when they get killed and eaten, not if.

They also went out of their way to show us that Grimes is the good guy no matter what, which to be honest, it getting a bit tiring. Yes we know he has a strong moral code, we get it, let's move on.

Kudos for the camp attack and not pulling any punches, I was half expecting a watered down attack from a handful of zombies that was easily repulsed with no losses for the campers.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Over all not a bad episode, I was a bit surprised by the twist with the gang. I was expecting some sort of shoot out that drew in the zombies and the mayhem that would follow. I'm guessing they through the twist in to keep the audience going for the long haul. Other then 28 Days Later, I'm pretty sure every other zombie film has made it clear that the survivors are living on borrowed time and it just a matter of when they get killed and eaten, not if.

They also went out of their way to show us that Grimes is the good guy no matter what, which to be honest, it getting a bit tiring. Yes we know he has a strong moral code, we get it, let's move on.

Kudos for the camp attack and not pulling any punches, I was half expecting a watered down attack from a handful of zombies that was easily repulsed with no losses for the campers.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

So far they are keeping to the script as far as killing off certain characters.

I still wonder if they have balls to end the season like they should.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Whoa, wait, there'a an attack on the camp? SPOILERS, GOSH! ;)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I was surprised by the stupidity of the men and attacking the kidnappers: it was insane, especially the way they just walked in. I was hoping that it would be a bluff and I am not sure whether it actually was.
Although there was the idea that after they found that lone zombie, they should have made a rule of not going anywhere without a pair and not without at least one of them with a smash-ready item.

Oh, and I do think that they should have let the guy just dig. Or at least, ask outright why is he digging. For all we could know, he was grieving this way or something.

Other than that, nice. Interesting how the drama is the main thing rather than the zombies.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Oh, and I do think that they should have let the guy just dig. Or at least, ask outright why is he digging. For all we could know, he was grieving this way or something.
IIRC they did ask him why he was digging. Secondly he is out in the blazing sun so it is probably not the best course of action to let him hurt himself further, as in the case of a zombie attack the last thing you want is someone incapacitated especially when most of your able bodied men have left.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Should we do spoiler tags from now on?
Spoiler
Wow those campers were idiots and deservedly got eaten for their stupidity. I hope this trend continues. Let us review shall we?

[1] Our campsite is totally exposed and indefensible.
[2] The useful manpower; namely the Sherif, the ass kicking redneck, and the smart kid are absent. We're left with Old Man, Cowardly Wife Stealing Attempted Murder by Proxy (Coward Squared), and Beaten Up Wife Beater. The only possible combatant is "Taco Bender".
[3] Lets build a big fire at night half assedly concealed by rocks and have a fish fry
[4].....and we'll have nobody on watch

Yep. Deservedly eaten. One Hundred Quadloos says that Cowardly Wife Stealer tries to blame this fiasco on the Sheriff.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I don't think tags are really necessary. I was being a goof. Anyone with half a brain (GET IT?!) should know that there's going to be spoilarz in here.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

As I said earlier I gave this series not one but two chances to impress and while not totally buried this one, I'm pretty close to doing so. Good stuff was mostly the action in the city, even if Sheriff shining star's actions were all over the place. First he's all hardass and next he's going back to save some redneck who nearly got everybody killed. Yeah sure, he has strong morals, ok. But after all that talk about how he's going to waste anyone who stands between him and his family... well now it sounds he was full of hot air. I'm not too impressed how they made the one handed villain. I saw it coming miles away and the overblown way they made him look like such a badass was almost cartoonish. So far the biggest letdown is total predictability and it's the main reason why I'm losing interest fast.

Grunt already covered other points I agree with so no need for me to repeat them.

-Asepää
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Chardok wrote:I don't think tags are really necessary. I was being a goof. Anyone with half a brain (GET IT?!) should know that there's going to be spoilarz in here.
Not everyone watches the show at the same time though.

EDIT: I'm annoyed at the people in the camp who didn't have any lookouts, didn't have any basic precautions taken, it's pretty amazing that any of them have survived. How many died? At least four went down that didn't need to.

Oh yeah, and the absurdity that the dude's dreams predicted this eventuality. Though I suppose that might have a logical explanation, his unconscious mind is telling him they're all going to die because they're stupid.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Just finished watching the 5th episode. It was roughly 30mins of zombie apocalypse cliches with a dose of sadness and "oh we're so screwed". The final fifteen minutes is where shit starts happening. I'm pretty much not giving a shit about most of our intrepid survivors, except for the redneck with the crossbow. I don't know why, I like him. I think it's while an asshole, he's an asshole with a valid point.

Maybe this show is finally going somewhere now that excess cast has been dumped and the premise is fully established.

-Pyssypää

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The last bit with the laboratory was awesome. Looks like he now has plenty of assistants to go out and find samples for him. :P

I actually liked the bit about leaving camp. Really shows the tensions within the group. The bit about the wife "taking care" of his husband's remains was especially touching.
The story may not be the greatest, but it is certainly well-acted and well-written in my opinion. Perhaps with the CDC guy, things may become more interesting.
Credo!
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

I'm still keeping to my pessimistic expectations. So far they've hit every bog standard zombie apocalypse note there is. I'm pretty sure they'll dangle "the cure" in front of us but it will never materialize. If it does I'll be really surprised. As far as disease zombies go, it's aggravating that it's always "ZOMG!! NO CURE!" and infection rate is always 100% from bites, blood contacts etc.

-Gunhead

Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Sister was outright retarded - oh hey, my sister just got bit and is gonna turn, I know, I should sit here with my face inches from hers. Stupid bitch deserved to get bit and turned.
Like Gunhead, while I think Daryl (the redneck) might be a prick, he's the only one who seems to have his fucking head screwed on. Burning the bodies, wanting to take care of the sister and Jimbo, using a silent weapon instead of a gun. I'm honestly surprised the rest of them have survived given all we've seen so far is almost complete retardation from them, like in the previous episode where they all sit down and no-one bothers to guard the perimeter.

And as much as I like John Murphy, there was no reason to use his piece of music when they were leaving the camp, it just really didn't fit - it's just trying to inject drama into the scene where there really wasn't any.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I have to say that everyone acting like stupid retards is quickly killing my interest in this show. The grimdark aspect of this is also getting overblown, like the sister pulling a gun on Rick, Shane pointing his gun at Rick (what is this, The Let's Point Our Guns at Rick the Sheriff Show?) and a lot of other crap like the entire CDC being completely empty except for one guy who's lost his marbles. It's also sadly predictable, like Shane going 'this is all your fault' to Rick because he went back to the city to get a bag of guns and to recover someone they left behind there - when it was really Shane's fault for not having people on watch.

Seriously I can't get over how fucking stupid the last episode was. It's a shame because the series started off so promising, but when your plot can only happen because every character is careless and stupid, your story's got problems. The thing I hate the most is Rick's usually right in every decision he makes, but everyone just wants to argue about it.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm confused as to how the ENTIRE CDC could get locked down with only 1 person inside. Did everyone else flee? Or did doctor crazypants kill everyone else to experiment on them?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I am guessing they evacuated, and the one guy stayed behind because his experiments could not be moved in time.