NHL 2010-2011 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: NHL 2010-2011 Season

Post by Darth Fanboy »

CmdrWilkens wrote: Wow so much incorrect with this that I'm almost at a losss. ABout the only thing right is that it was an ass whooping the Caps took. Anyway Ovechkin laid out a hip check right in front of the ref so with no call I'm gonna go with clean (he came from the front landed hip on hip to the player who had just played the puck).
Like I said, I only saw highlights, and didn't see the check in real time so I didn't claim it was dirty, it looked to me however that the puck had already been played and if the puck wasn't in the area when the hit was made then it wasn't clean, even if the intention was to make a clean play.
Next Dubinskiy came after HIM not the other way around. Dubinsky came looking for the fight and Ovechkin responded, neither is a fighter both just tossed about and then Ovie dragged him down as he fell. So basically it was a fight you expect from a non-fighter (a few good swings, clasp where nobody can swing, and then everybody falls down) after a hit that was in the course of play.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=301212013

That is the video I saw, with about 18 seconds left they start showing the highlights of the fight, it looks to me like Ovechkin comes in from the side slightly behind and tries to throw a suckerpunch.

If you want to comment on how "dirty" Ovechkin is then watch his game don't just repeat everybody's bullshit Monday morning quarterbacking.
I do watch his game, I've seen him play on TV many times and I've seen him live a couple of times as well and I know enough to think that he has loads of talent, but loves taking cheapshots when he can and I've watched him back down from fights until teammates come in to save him from getting a deserved ass whooping.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Drone
Youngling

Post by Drone »

You REALLY have no idea what you're talking about. Ovechkin is about as clean as it gets. He plays physically and aggressively, or used to until the NHL went after him last year for being Russian, which leads to hits that sometimes have unfortunate effects. The guy NEVER takes cheapshots with his stick, (something lowlives like Briere, Crosby and Richards do all the time) or goes out there looking to injure someone (hurting is different, you SHOULD be trying to hurt someone on every shift, let them know you're there).

As for the "backing down", he's been instructed specifically NOT to fight, which up until last night, he followed, because it's not worth breaking his hand to satisfy some stupid goon's need to justify his role on the team. Boudreau has clearly lost the team and Ovechkin was desperate to get something, anything started for a team that should be playing better than it is.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Drone wrote:You REALLY have no idea what you're talking about. Ovechkin is about as clean as it gets. He plays physically and aggressively, or used to until the NHL went after him last year for being Russian, which leads to hits that sometimes have unfortunate effects. The guy NEVER takes cheapshots with his stick, (something lowlives like Briere, Crosby and Richards do all the time) or goes out there looking to injure someone (hurting is different, you SHOULD be trying to hurt someone on every shift, let them know you're there).
Clean as it gets you say?

As for the "backing down", he's been instructed specifically NOT to fight, which up until last night, he followed, because it's not worth breaking his hand to satisfy some stupid goon's need to justify his role on the team. Boudreau has clearly lost the team and Ovechkin was desperate to get something, anything started for a team that should be playing better than it is.
Except that once his teammates get into the action he's quick to jump over shoulders and throw sucker punches from behind a wall of safety. I have seen this in person live in games that were not out of hand in games that meant something to the standings.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Drone
Youngling

Post by Drone »

Using the Campbell hit proves my point. Thanks.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Drone wrote:Using the Campbell hit proves my point. Thanks.
Yes, because getting a misconduct and tossed from a game confirms your belief that he's a clean player. :wanker:

Drone
Youngling

Post by Drone »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Drone wrote:Using the Campbell hit proves my point. Thanks.
Yes, because getting a misconduct and tossed from a game confirms your belief that he's a clean player. :wanker:
Because it was a mostly clean hit(it was a little bit from behind, but Campbell turned his back to the hit which is irresponsible and stupid, and something that players are doing way too often these days to try to draw penalties) that was punished for the result and not the action, as per usual NHL operating procedure. Campbell lost an edge and caught his skate in a rut after he was hit and went down a lot harder than he should have, which led to the injury, which led to his uncle handling the disciplinary procedures. The difference between being a cheapshot artist and being someone who plays very physically and occasionally making a bad hit because of it is pretty big. That's why your little video proves my point. :roll:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Drone wrote:
Because it was a mostly clean hit(it was a little bit from behind, but Campbell turned his back to the hit which is irresponsible and stupid, and something that players are doing way too often these days to try to draw penalties) that was punished for the result and not the action, as per usual NHL operating procedure. Campbell lost an edge and caught his skate in a rut after he was hit and went down a lot harder than he should have, which led to the injury, which led to his uncle handling the disciplinary procedures. The difference between being a cheapshot artist and being someone who plays very physically and occasionally making a bad hit because of it is pretty big. That's why your little video proves my point. :roll:
I might see your point, if Ovechkin didn't have the history of taking those kinds of shots repeatedly as I presented in the other videos. I appreciate a crushing check as much as anyone but not when it puts a guy face first into the boards.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So after a boring all star game, a lame superhero promotion, and half the league being injured we're finally back in the swing of things. A couple of goalie fights happened too.

A Monster of a game was played in Calgary tonight between the Flames and Ducks that went into overtime. And holy shit did the Islanders exact some revenge or what?

thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

They're for the Pens callers. Their snivelling as the Islanders beat the shit out of them was hilarious.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

You might want to pass some of those on to the Island, they got the short end of the suspensions and fines

Of all the hockey day games, the late one in Vancouver was probably the best, 4-2 final over Calgary. Luongo was pretty sharp and held off a 3rd period rally including 3 straight powerplays. Flames only managed 27 shots on goal, so maybe a little more rubber on net would have helped.

**little stat note - Vancouver has killed off 36 straight penalties
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ducks complete sweep of Western Canada and head home to Honda Center to take on the Caps Wednesday. HAd to catch the best parts of this game in the radio on the way home from work but well worth it.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

That western conference is looking pretty interesting, the last 28-odd games should be good hockey. For some teams, a skid right now would be fatal.

In other news, Mario is somewhat pissed at the NHL

His last line there is not so much a shot across the midget's bow, rather aimed right at his fucking wheelhouse
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Being an owner Gary probably has to kiss Mario's ass a little bit more than he would have in his playing days.

The Penguins' drama continues in a far more bizarre fashion than I think anyone would have expected this year. Crosby AND Malkin out plus leading the league in fighting majors? Holy fuck.

It will be interesting to see where they end up especially if and when Crosby returns, they could end up being a very dangerous 6th or 7th seed.

thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

"We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players," the Hockey Hall of Famer said in his statement. "We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

Sorry, but every week Matt Cooke suits up is another week the Pens have no leg to stand on when it comes to this kind of stuff.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Not much debate there, and I think the fact that Crosby and Malkin are injured magnifies what Cooke does even more because he is now on the ice more too.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Posting live from Honda Center

Wild game and second period is about to start, I recommend highlights already.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Calgary/Dallas on here 2-2 after 2, not a bad game so far
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Breaking news right now, Jarkko Ruutu traded to the Ducks for 6th round pick

DF, that must have been an exciting game last night, but also frustrating as hell. What save percentage? :shock:

Other BS trade stuff, seems that some insiders pushing a Kaberle trade before anyone else actually being contacted. I fucking hate leaf nation sometimes...
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Did anyone who saw the Chara hit the other night have a strong opinion? I can't help but think Chara caught a break because he's Zdeno Chara, but on the other hand it's harder to hand down a severe sentence if the intent wasn't there.

I do think however the NHL's going case by case and not having a set yet flexible policy makes them look pretty stupid sometimes.

And Trevor Gilles is a dipstick...that is all.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I saw it after the fact, and figured a few games, and that was before the extent of the injury was known. When that came out (concussion, fractured c-4) , and THEN the NHL in their usual lack of wisdom didn't even issue a slap on the wrist....
Hoo Boy

Toss in the Air Canada thing, now Via Rail, plus the Canadiens Owners (Molson's). GM meetings coming Monday....and the fucking cherry on top of this disaster sundae, Bettman getting a 36 million dollar 5-year contract extension?

Gonna be an interesting coming week

They could/should have handled this a lot better to put it mildly. The fact that it was Charra (original 6 team, captain, such a nice fellow...) as opposed to say,, oh, maybe the average joe, never mind a thug, seems to have been too big a factor. Add on the possibility of collusion (Campbell's son plays for Boston, and yeah I know Murphy supposedly handled it but that bridge for sale if you think it wasn't in his mind) plus that fucking midget's usual arrogant bullshit and you are getting close to the perfect shitstorm. Likely outcome? probably zero. It does frame the next really bad hit or mugging though. And I figure us silly fans won't have to wait long for THAT.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Thing is, I actually do think it was intentional.

I think this is the best angle (sorry for the language). Chara sees the puck go by, sees Pacioretty, starts pushing him, looks up and sees the stanchion, and keeps pushing him (slightly changing the angle to make sure Pacioretty hits it).

Do I think Chara was trying to end his career (as it seems like might have happened)? No, but I don't have any evidence for that--it's just a gut feeling. But I know that Chara was specifically trying to hurt Pacioretty. For the last 2-3 games between the Bruins and Habs (especially after the little push after the OT win), Chara had specifically and deliberately targeted him, and this play is a good example of it: the puck wasn't anywhere near him, and the right play is just to let him go once he's passed. I don't understand why the League is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, given that history.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

There's some good angles here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

That does look deliberate, to me.
XXXI
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The thing with that hit is..."hockey play" or not it could easily have been a major boarding call instead of a major interference call and probably both with the gamer on top of it. If you get ejected from a game and injure another player the standard has almost ALWAYS been that you get a few games. Last year when Ovechkin and Campbell tangled in Chicago and he got the 2 games is probably the one that comes to mind most for me since I follow the Caps closest. Like this it was a hockey play without intent to injure that resulted in a major and a gamer...and 2 on top of it, the Chara hit was with or without intent to injure clearly requiring of the 5 and gamer which would suggest that at least 2 games even before the extent of the injury was made public. While its no surprise that the supplementary discipline process is arbitrary this kinda puts a highlight to the whole thing.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ok for the first time in ages I have a serious fucking problem with Calgary fans. (If you're reading this Archon, my apologies in advance).

But for fuck's sake, one call did not go the Flames way and it likely was the wrong call. That being said the Flames played with no passion after they pulled within one and looked dead, so dead that they didn't even bother to try again after the empty netter as if they just didn't care about what tonight's game meant.

And there is so much outrage over that call but lost in this is the fucking knee on knee by Giordano on Bobby Ryan in the last few seconds. That was some fuckling Ulf Samuelsson type shit there. Matt Cooke made the headlines for going after the head but this was a pretty clear intent to injure as well and should be treated accordingly. Anything less than a multiple game suspension would be a complete joke and prove once and for all that punishment in the NHL is left too much up to discretion and whim than anything else.

Plenty of times do goals get allowed or disallowed that should have gone the other way, i've seen the Ducks on the wrong end of them several times even this season, but don't let that blown call obscure the fact that the Flames have absolutely choked against us in three previous meetings, and that they are barely .500 in their own division, or that they have a piss poor record against playoff teams this month. Way to go Flames fans, keep on bitching about Ryan Getzlaf all postseason (or lack thereof in your case!) it's not going to change anything.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I watched that DF, and as soon as the non-goal/blown review result, I turned and said, "ok, Ducks gonna score now". 4 Min later, it was pretty much all she wrote. A bad call , usually followed by an opposing goal while the other guys still muttering about it instead of sucking it up usually = the end

Jesus, even the TSN guys, first thing they said was Calgary's gotta forget that and suck it up. Instead, they pretty much are forked. I was on the phone at the end and missed that hit you talking about. Was it done sneaky/stealthy? TSN has got nothing on the web, and just watched the highlights at bottom of the hour, and not a damn thing even mentioned.

The first game of the doubleheader was far more entertaining, with Carolina pretty much schooling the Canadiens. While was on a course in S Ont a couple weeks ago, the Fan 590 show was talking about rookies, Nazim Kadri, etc, when they mentioned some fella named Skinner in Carolina. Naturally, Carolina doesn't get a whole lot of games broadcast so it was mostly ?? (silly, should check the net) But got to see him play for the first time here. What a treat. This kid is good. 2 last night for 29 and counting on the year (only Crosby as rookie has more in last 10 years) 58 pts total (only 4 in that group, including Cros and his teammate Staal) and just plays good clean solid hockey. Very refreshing to see after all the knucklehead stuff that's gone on this season.

**WTF happened to Detroit? :shock: 10-3 ? I know Jimmy Howard is hurt, and Ossie is done for the year, but holy crap. 18 years since they gave up that many goals in a game.