US Military publishes Moe Manga....

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

generator_g1
Jedi Master

US Military publishes Moe Manga....

Post by generator_g1 »

Clicky...some links on page NSFW
The US military has issued a charming moe manga in an effort to win over Japanese sceptical of the value of an alliance costing them billions of dollars and the virginity of countless schoolgirls.
Aside from pressing base-related PR reasons which forced the last Japanese Prime Minister to resign after he broke his promise to the people of Okinawa to relocate a particularly hated US base, the manga celebrates the 50 years which have elapsed since Japan was elevated from colony to puppet.
The story covers rabbit-eared American boy Usa-kun as he “protects” a Japanese household from such pressing threats as cockroaches, whilst explaining the details of the alliance, all published freely online:
Website
Last edited by generator_g1 on 2010-08-10 09:55am, edited 1 time in total.
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Re: US Military publishes Moe Manga....

Post by Kanastrous »

I guess rabbits aren't associated with timidity in Japanese culture. Or maybe they are and this was just a plain weird choice for a character to represent a military...
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Heh. I scrolled through the pages quickly; the picture of the soldier in the construction helmet with what I can only discribe as the world's cutest Patriot battery had me giggling.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Kanastrous wrote:I guess rabbits aren't associated with timidity in Japanese culture. Or maybe they are and this was just a plain weird choice for a character to represent a military...
If you ever have the chance to read or see 'Cat Shit One' (aka 'Apocalypse Meow'), it wouldn't seem so strange an idea. :)
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I've read Usagi Yojimbo...
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
ZGundam
Padawan Learner

Post by ZGundam »

And of course....

USAGI - USA GI hence bunny americans in Cat Shit One
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

open_sketchbook wrote:Heh. I scrolled through the pages quickly; the picture of the soldier in the construction helmet with what I can only discribe as the world's cutest Patriot battery had me giggling.
If nothing else, Advance Wars (the GBA/DS game series) demonstrates that one can very effectively moe-fy even the deadliest combat vehicles. The M1's were just so adorable ^^

This isn't the first time the USA has played the manga gambit - they did do a more 'realistically' styled manga about aircraft carriers back when the replacement for JFK (or was it kitty hawk) was in question.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Kawaii. Don't get ANY of it, but very cute.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Well, I think I've found my new avatar somewhere in there...

But yes, this is very cute! I don't doubt that someone is bound to translate this in the near future.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

ZGundam wrote:And of course....

USAGI - USA GI hence bunny americans in Cat Shit One
Crap I never realized that! LOL!!! :lol:
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Strangely I recognize the art style as already having been used for "Mari-tan" (imagine the USMC version but spouting Gunnery Sergeant Hartman lines)...

Oh, and Cat Shit One, the 2010 remake. (Having watched the first episode though, it's too bad that it just seems so... "thematically Japanese," if that makes any sense.)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

So, anyone seen a (scan)lation yet? Also, a link to the carrier manga would be nice. :)
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Well it's nice that they're going the propaganda route to maintain an alliance this time, instead of just dropping some nukes.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Aw, we didn't drop the nukes to maintain the alliance, we dropped them to get it rolling.
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

I read this, although the text pieces were very difficult, it's pretty poor in terms of propaganda, IMO.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

It's not just the same style, there are two Maritan characters in it, Army-san and Jiei-tan. Apparently the military worked with the people behind the Maritan franchise to make this thing.
「かかっ―」
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

So it's actual collaboration? That's smarter than I ever expected of Big Army. :lol:
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Kanastrous wrote:I guess rabbits aren't associated with timidity in Japanese culture. Or maybe they are and this was just a plain weird choice for a character to represent a military...
From what I've heard, in modern Japanese culture "ridiculously cute" isn't apparently as manliness threatening as it may be in others. IIRC, there are even recruitment posters with mascots just as ridiculously cute as the ones in that link.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Ilya Muromets wrote:
From what I've heard, in modern Japanese culture "ridiculously cute" isn't apparently as manliness threatening as it may be in others. IIRC, there are even recruitment posters with mascots just as ridiculously cute as the ones in that link.
This is a JMSDF recruiting add.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAXJaFydwM

A rabbit with the power of blond hair is a psychopathic killing machine in comparison.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

For those that don't get the joke; the Japanese love making puns in more than one language, usagi is Japanese for rabbit, Usa-kun would be a fairly obvious nickname for a boy named Usagi (though how common Usagi is as a name for males I wouldn't hazard a guess at) and of course Usa = USA. The bunny ears just add to the effect...
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Stark wrote:Hearts and minds, twenty years too late? :)
You can always count on America to do the right thing, after all other options have been exhausted.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

^ I think I might sig that, if you don't mind.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I doubt he will, so long as you credit Churchill with it.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Edward Yee wrote:Oh, and Cat Shit One, the 2010 remake. (Having watched the first episode though, it's too bad that it just seems so... "thematically Japanese," if that makes any sense.)
No, that makes precisely zero sense.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.