Okeechobee County Emergency Management Zombie Edition

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Okeechobee County Emergency Management Zombie Edition

Post by Mr. Coffee »

it's a PDF file, but there ya go.

Yes, the government of Okeechobee County, Florida actually has an Emergency Management Plan for dealing with a zombie apocalypse (oddly enough it's called "Annex Z"). Just thought I'd toss this out there as we haven't had a good "How would you prepare for surviving a zombie apocalypse" thread for a while, might be fun to rehash the subject for shits and giggles.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Okeechobee County Emergency Management Zombie Edition

Post by Simon_Jester »

Looking through it, a lot of it seems to be standard boilerplate, with a few exceptions for issues specific to a zombie disaster. I love the attention to details like preservation of historic sites; that's nice to see.

I'm betting they just took existing plans based on floods, epidemics, or mass riots and polished them up.

I also love how, this being Florida, a freeze is considered a disaster.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Simon_Jester wrote:Looking through it, a lot of it seems to be standard boilerplate, with a few exceptions for issues specific to a zombie disaster. I love the attention to details like preservation of historic sites; that's nice to see.

I'm betting they just took existing plans based on floods, epidemics, or mass riots and polished them up.

I also love how, this being Florida, a freeze is considered a disaster.

Considering what it does to plants and animals, especially as far south as Okeechobee county, a freeze is a disaster.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

The zombie apocalypse scenario is very useful. A lot of government planners don't like the possibility of planning for civil unrest, so zombie apocalypse is a more polite way to say that there might be very large riots combined with other factors such as epidemic or pandemic that you have to deal with, because if a large population is placed under quarantine... well, they probably won't like it very much in this day and age.

As far as this document goes though, it looks like their emergency operations management department got bored one month and didn't have anything better to do. It's amusing. I'd forward this to the emergency operations manager in my county, that is, if we had one... ah well.
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Florida is known for having batshit insane regulations and laws on file. I mean there's a Florida town where it's illegal for Satan to enter city limits for fuck's sake.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Kuroji wrote:The zombie apocalypse scenario is very useful. A lot of government planners don't like the possibility of planning for civil unrest, so zombie apocalypse is a more polite way to say that there might be very large riots combined with other factors such as epidemic or pandemic that you have to deal with, because if a large population is placed under quarantine... well, they probably won't like it very much in this day and age.
Yeah, I figured as much. I just thought it was kind of neat to see how you'd go about preparing for a zombie apocalypse on a large scale like this instead of the normal individual/small group survival schtick.

General Zod wrote:Florida is known for having batshit insane regulations and laws on file. I mean there's a Florida town where it's illegal for Satan to enter city limits for fuck's sake.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

General Zod wrote:Florida is known for having batshit insane regulations and laws on file. I mean there's a Florida town where it's illegal for Satan to enter city limits for fuck's sake.
You should call the ACLU and get them to file a suit on his behalf.
XXXI
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

What about his followers here on Earth (Satanists)?
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote:Considering what it does to plants and animals, especially as far south as Okeechobee county, a freeze is a disaster.
I know. It's not illogical, just amusing.
Kuroji wrote:The zombie apocalypse scenario is very useful. A lot of government planners don't like the possibility of planning for civil unrest, so zombie apocalypse is a more polite way to say that there might be very large riots combined with other factors such as epidemic or pandemic that you have to deal with, because if a large population is placed under quarantine... well, they probably won't like it very much in this day and age.
Interesting point, and one that may be especially relevant in an era when violent political unrest seems more likely than it was ten or twenty years ago.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

From the county website...
Some questions have come up about this document, which I'd like to answer. This document was created on personal time and equipment as an exercise in creative planning. This is not a part of our CEMP in any way. The reason behind using non-traditional scenarios for planning purposes is to allow the planners to be creative yet realistic with their responses. When planning for the same type of event in the same location year after year, the decision making process becomes very familiar. Because planners are already familiar with the answers or responses to questions that the scenario brings forth, it is likely that the planner will respond without thinking critically. Changing the disaster scenario allows the planner to re-engage this creative thought process, and address the "what-ifs" of the situation. The hope is to generate ideas and concepts that will be able to be removed from the fictitious scenario response, and applied to realistic scenarios. This document was hosted here to allow other planners easy access to it for their review and consideration. This plan was taken from the Long-Term Recovery Annex to our County CEMP. The County in no way endorses or recognizes this as any official plan, nor is it ever intended to serve as such.
Sure, they say its not serious NOW...
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Look at it like this...
It's like a gun or a condom.
I'd rather have one and not need it
instead of need one and not have it.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

I love those kind of laws.

I believe there was one in Philadelphia that said a criminal had to inform the police chief of his intents when he got into the city's juristiction?
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I'm guessing their next disaster plan will be "What to do if the Prince of Darkness violates city ordinance and sets up his stronghold in Okeechobee County".
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yeah, it is basically running for their lives, screaming like little girls.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Night_stalker wrote:Yeah, it is basically running for their lives, screaming like little girls.
Or they call in the guard like TSW. Violating city ordinances, construction without a permit, construction of an eyesore, the list of his crimes goes on.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Kodiak wrote:
I'm guessing their next disaster plan will be "What to do if the Prince of Darkness violates city ordinance and sets up his stronghold in Okeechobee County".
Heh, wrong county. Inglis is in Levy County, up along the Gulf. :P All of it is boonies.

And apparently the ordnance was rescinded due to lawsuits by the ACLU anyway.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:From the county website...
*snip*
Sure, they say its not serious NOW...
That's actually about what I was expecting. We'd had the same scenarios in my work training for years (I don't know how many, because they were the same before I started). This year, we came up with totally screwball scenarios to make people actually think about the scenarios instead of giving rote answers.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I'm picturing the Okeechobee County's head of Online delivering a report to the mayor or whoever the fuck runs that place...

"... And finally the document our consituents are most interested is Annex Z. Moving on...."
"Annex what?"
"The Zombie emergency plan."