The A-Team (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

The A-Team (Spoilers)

Post by Gandalf »

I just got back from seeing The A-Team.

It's pretty damn fun. Lots of neat action, and likeable characters. I quite liked that they escaped at the end, but it wasn't seen. Then following it with the voice over.

Also, how great were the Reginald Barclay/Starbuck credits in the Mannheim prison? I giggled like nobody's business when I saw those.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Re: The A-Team (Spoilers)

Post by Whiplash »

I haven't mastered the art of 'turning my brain off' so ... it didn't work for me entirely.

I liked it overall, but I feel I would have enjoyed it more if the advertisments didn't show off that much of the ridiculousness of the movie (like the tank thing would have made for a nice surprise). The characters were all fun (though B.A. was so lazily written), the banter between each of them was great. The villains were surprisingly likable and amusing to watch (you don't see that often in these kinds of movies). And actionwise, it is amazing how ridiculous it gets.

My three favorite moments though were

Murdoch's impression of Bravehart.
Faceman trash talking the plane drones while he was using the gunner on the tank.
And all those crates falling and exploding in the last action scene, (at that moment I just said "I love CGI") that was a treat for the eyes.

Does the plan come together? Yes.
Entirely? No, but in the case of the movie, its close enough.

2.5/4 stars.

Might I add, those had to be the longest opening credits ever.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, the villains were actually quite fun to watch. They were likeable, but you still wanted them to get it in the end.

I was a bit annoyed that BA now stood for "Bad Ass", was "Bad Attitude" not cool enough? His "Pity Fool" tattoos annoyed me. I feel that catchphrase is too tied to the actor of Mr T, as opposed to the BA character. It originated in Rocky III, and subsequently carried into A Team.

Also, I dare say, the US government has replaced the Nazi Germans and the USSR for best evil organisation in films.

I still give it eight out of ten.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

I just saw it. Not a fantastic movie, cause I think I called a couple of plot twists beforehand. However, the fun factor thanks to the awesome chemistry between everyone - even with the bad guys - was just infectious. Everyone looked as if they were having loads of fun in the movie. If I had some change and time to spare, I think I'd watch it again on the big screen again.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Awesome fun film. 4.5 stars. I predicted the identity of "The Arab" rather quickly but other than that I really enjoyed the plot of the film along with the characters.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Awesome fun film. 4.5 stars. I predicted the identity of "The Arab" rather quickly but other than that I really enjoyed the plot of the film along with the characters.
Really? Lynch didn't surprise me, but the Arab got me (it wasn't really an oh shit moment though because I really didn't care).
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

The two short scenes after the credits were also neat to see.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Death from the Sea wrote:The two short scenes after the credits were also neat to see.
Motherfuck....I should have waited, spoiler please?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I enjoyed it because I knew what it was, and anyone who thought otherwise is fucking moron. It was previewed as a giant 80's revival action piece and that is exactly what I got. Insanely dumb scenarios mixed with villains that have no real plan and heroes pulling insane shit that only works because they are the heroes.

It was worth the money and moreso worth getting out of seeing Kung Fun Kid part 1 of 3.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Ghost Rider wrote:I enjoyed it because I knew what it was, and anyone who thought otherwise is fucking moron. It was previewed as a giant 80's revival action piece and that is exactly what I got. Insanely dumb scenarios mixed with villains that have no real plan and heroes pulling insane shit that only works because they are the heroes.
Why do you seem so pissed off in this post?
Ghost Rider wrote:It was worth the money and moreso worth getting out of seeing Kung Fun Kid part 1 of 3.
I ended up seeing that after A-Team. It was actually good.
Death from the Sea wrote:The two short scenes after the credits were also neat to see.
Fuck.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Whiplash wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:I enjoyed it because I knew what it was, and anyone who thought otherwise is fucking moron. It was previewed as a giant 80's revival action piece and that is exactly what I got. Insanely dumb scenarios mixed with villains that have no real plan and heroes pulling insane shit that only works because they are the heroes.
Why do you seem so pissed off in this post?
Cool! +1 posting!

You tell me, since you want to psychobabble. I stated my opinion of people who wanted something more from the movie.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Spoiler
the first scene has Bradley Cooper as Face in the prison and heading into the area with the tanning boths, we see one booth open and a man climb out, but we only see him from the back as Face asks the guy something to the effect of "is this lotion any good? what do you use on your face?" and then the camera swings so we can see the mans face and it is Dirk Benedict and Dirk replies somethng like "The face, you don't mess with." and then he walks off. the second scene is at the psychiatric hospital where they were keeping Murdock and we see Murdock strapped down to a table and some people in white lab coats administer shocks to Murdocks head, then the camera swings around and there is Dwight Schultz standing there in a white lab coat, holding a clip board as he looks to the other doctor and says something like "is he crazy? or is he...." and then makes a spastic motion with his face as he sticks his tongue out "....crazy?"
there used to he a video on youtube but now I can find it.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector