Linkara's History of Power Rangers

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Re: Linkara's History of Power Rangers

Post by Anguirus »

Huh, I was just rewatching the MMPR vids today and wishing he'd put up more. Know nothing of Ninja Storm, so that will be fun. :D
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Did you know about Dinothunder, the one after Ninja Storm?
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

General Schatten wrote:Did you know about Dinothunder, the one after Ninja Storm?
Ah yes, the series where Jesus Tommy makes his return!

I'm actually enjoying this portion a lot. I really stopped watching regularly after Zeo; got a few episodes into Turbo but I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't really pick up again until "Once a Ranger" but Overdrive couldn't get me to stick around. So the first full season I watched again was Jungle Fury, then RPM and now Samurai. So I'm learning a lot about the various seasons I never knew, and it's actually making me want to go back and watch them.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I'm sad to say I lost the thread on Linkara's later reviews of the endless Power Rangers spin-offs, the nostalgia factor helped a lot to draw me in on his earlier reviews.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

I can't wait until Linkara does his review of this episode...
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

That was a pretty good episode. And lol @ no Red Turbo Ranger.

I also want to see if he rants about the utter implausibility of Tommy having a Doctorate. :D
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

RogueIce wrote:And lol @ no Red Turbo Ranger.
Is there some outside reason why? Because if I remember correctly Tommy stepped down as the Red Turbo Ranger and let T.J. take his place.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

General Schatten wrote:
RogueIce wrote:And lol @ no Red Turbo Ranger.
Is there some outside reason why? Because if I remember correctly Tommy stepped down as the Red Turbo Ranger and let T.J. take his place.
I don't know if there's a backstage reason to it or not, though Linkara's pretty good at asking people "in the know" within the fandom, so if he thinks about it he may look for the answer.

I just found it amusing that his time as a Turbo Ranger wasn't in his "past" anymore. :D

Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

Maybe it'd be seen as redundant? Two Red Rangers, it could represent his roles on the team. THe Green Ranger, the evil guy gone good, the White Ranger, the sixth ranger who is now a complete part of the team and the Red Ranger, the true leader from the get go.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Alphawolf55 wrote:Maybe it'd be seen as redundant? Two Red Rangers, it could represent his roles on the team. THe Green Ranger, the evil guy gone good, the White Ranger, the sixth ranger who is now a complete part of the team and the Red Ranger, the true leader from the get go.
That was my thought, too.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

It might also have to do with the fact that he passed on the Turbo Powers on his own accord, while every other time, the powers were ripped from him (leaving a lasting impact).

The Green Ranger powers were ripped from him by Lord Zedd, the White Ranger powers taken from him (twice) by Zedd and Rita, and the Zeo Ranger 5 Red powers....well, we have no clear reason WHY they swapped from the Zeo to the Turbo Powers in universe...so maybe those got taken from him for no good reason to.

At anyrate, I just finally got around to watching the Linkara HotPR stuff through In Space, and I like Linkara's style, and it was a good look back on a show I enjoyed.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Sorry if anyone takes this as a Necro. But Linkara just put up DinoThunder
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

He's getting a bit more into recapping the season as opposed to analyzing it, like in NS. I suppose that's because it's as much for new PR viewers (*snort* ) as it is old ones, but in season like DT which I know pretty well it's a bit irritating. Ah well, I'll be glad of it when he gets into Overdrive and beyond - and he is a braver man than me for trudging through THAT shit.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Faqa wrote:He's getting a bit more into recapping the season as opposed to analyzing it, like in NS. I suppose that's because it's as much for new PR viewers (*snort* ) as it is old ones, but in season like DT which I know pretty well it's a bit irritating. Ah well, I'll be glad of it when he gets into Overdrive and beyond - and he is a braver man than me for trudging through THAT shit.
I think this is largely because the newer series are ones he's watching for the first time, so he hasn't got the familiarity with them that he does with the older series.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

For anyone that Still cares, Mystic Force is up

SPD has also been out for a while but wasn't mentioned in this thread.

etA: protip. He doesn't actually talk about the series until about six minutes in. It's a lot of blather about how he approaches HOPR and how he doesn't care about super sentai before that.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It's an interesting thing for me since I got out of Power Rangers very, very, very early. As in right after "Green With Evil". So to see how things developed - especially the two numbskull bullies I remembered wanting to see get smacked around for their behavior - has been of great interest.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Crazedwraith wrote:etA: protip. He doesn't actually talk about the series until about six minutes in. It's a lot of blather about how he approaches HOPR and how he doesn't care about super sentai before that.
I'm part of a PR fan board, and trust me if you saw how much the Sentai fanboys get on him about "Why didn't you include this info from Sentai and blah blah blah" you'd understand why he has to go into these things. Repeatedly.

EDIT: And this is despite the fact that, from the very beginning, he's said he feels PR should stand on its own, that he's not going to go into the Sentai in any detail because it's not his thing, etc.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Unfortunately, "fan" is short for "fanatic", and some people can't take a hint. Tell them 10 times "I don't care about the Sentai" and they'll still pester on "WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING ABOUT THE SENTAI ITS SO MUCH BETTER BLAH BLAH BLAH".
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

It is interesting to go through these. Dino Thunder is the one I know the best, but I have some fond memories of Lost Galaxy and MMPR too.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Atia
Youngling

Post by Atia »

As a shameless Super Sentai fan I got to say I honestly don't care if he ever mentions the Super Sentai stuff except when absolutely relevant and don't understand why people harp him about mentioning it. Especially since I find the better power ranger shows are the ones that vary the most from the Sentai stuff. I guess it is just that some people get validation from that sort of thing, or cause it seems sometimes the English fandom for that show is annoyingly tiny (and just annoying). However I do think he should at least take into account the Super Sentai stuff for things that the power ranger show doesn't really have much control over like shitty looking megazords and fight footage.

It is nice to see that he seems to hate over Operation Overdrive almost as much as I hated Boukengers.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Operation Over Drive is up

And its really long.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Also, thanks to his Patreon funding levels, he has released dates for the others:

OPERATION OVERDRIVE: 8/21/14 Finished obviously
JUNGLE FURY: 12/25/14
RPM: 3/19/15
SAMURAI: TBD
MEGAFORCE: TBD
DINO CHARGE: TBD