Linkara's History of Power Rangers

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

montypython
Jedi Master

Re: Linkara's History of Power Rangers

Post by montypython »

The first time I ever saw a live-action sentai team show was when I was six visiting relatives in Japan; I thought it was cheesy then and when Power Rangers showed up in the States it just reinforced my views on that.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

You say that like it's bad.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

montypython wrote:The first time I ever saw a live-action sentai team show was when I was six visiting relatives in Japan; I thought it was cheesy then and when Power Rangers showed up in the States it just reinforced my views on that.
That was the entire point though! It is meant to be a cheesy good time!
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Norade wrote:
montypython wrote:The first time I ever saw a live-action sentai team show was when I was six visiting relatives in Japan; I thought it was cheesy then and when Power Rangers showed up in the States it just reinforced my views on that.
That was the entire point though! It is meant to be a cheesy good time!
Well, back then I was always more of an animation fan than live-action (with some exceptions), stuff like Transformers (Generation 1), Voltron (Go-Lion and Dairugger XV), Robotech (Macross) or even really old anime like Pa-Man or Doraemon for that matter. For live-action shows my tastes ran more along the lines of Airwolf (didn't see the A-team until they started syndication).
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Norade wrote:It is meant to be a cheesy good time!
I suppose they got it half right, then.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I have fond memories of MMPR; it was a key part of my childhood. My college roommates and I designated the first film as one of our Friday night movies to drink to... 8)
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Juts a heads up, he's got the review of Lost Galaxy Review up on his blog.

Yeah, i must agree with him in regards to the title aspect, waiting through the better part of the series until they end up spending a few episodes into the Space Pirate Gulf. I also must admit that i do rather like the villians this episode, cheesy as they were and i must say that i think as far as cannon fodder baddies went, the stingwingers at least had a Bug feel going for them.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Lost galaxy wasn't very good, in my memory. Of course, when I watched PRLG's Rescue Mission as an young lad, that was one of the most awesome episodes I remember.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Anguirus wrote:My little bro watched a bit of Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed Rescue, and I was grudgingly impressed by them. Looking forward to seeing where they fit in.

Great find! Just started watching these and am really enjoying them. I feel like I should have given the series more of a chance as a kid...I was turned off by the filler and by the eventual costume changes, but it looks like a great deal of effort was made to keep to the "same" show and consistent. Knowing as I do now (not when I was 8.) that it had to creatively incorporate Toei footage would have led me to appreciate it more, no doubt...back then a lot of stuff was arbitrary weirdness I couldn't put my finger on.
There's some cool stuff in LG, but LR and later seasons really don't make much of an effort to fit in with the others. But for anyone who loved the original MMPR as a kid, watch Dino Thunder, the 2004 season. That's the one later season that is VERY connected to the past. It's also a fun recreation of the MMPR high school formula, only done better and with more sophistication. The season still has the PR cheese, and its story struggles at some points because it was stuck with some of the worst, borderline unusable Japanese footage ever. But it knows how to poke fun of itself, while being quite well done a lot of the time.
Agent Fisher wrote:Lost galaxy wasn't very good, in my memory. Of course, when I watched PRLG's Rescue Mission as an young lad, that was one of the most awesome episodes I remember.
It's regarded as a top 3 season by many people. It starts off pretty shaky, and the lack of strong connections to past seasons (a first at the time, although now it's the status quo) was a big turn off. But the series gets a lot better as it goes on, and is pretty awesome when it turns into a continuation to Space (the popular #1 pick for best season). "Rescue Mission" was an awesome episode that dared to abandon the PR formula for one day and just do Alien for kids. I was surprised at what they were able to get away with.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Just a heads up, Linkara posted Lightspeed Rescue

As far as power rangers went, i only bothered to see a few episodes of Lightspeed. That said i do find the Lightspeed Rescue theme to be better than Turbo or Lost Galaxy and i must say that the Batlings are without a doubt the Lamest power rangers cannon fodder guys out there.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Zor wrote:Batlings are without a doubt the Lamest power rangers cannon fodder guys out there.
At least their bosses looked kick ass.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

He's uploaded the one for Time Force

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I've been watching this and it really makes me want to go back and look at some of these other seasons since, like many, Turbo made me abandon the series entirely.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So in related news, No Pink Spandex (a PR fan site that does a lot of interviews and films Con panels; very good quality work) did an interview with David Yost, the MMPR Blue Rangers. Over the years, there have been plenty of rumors and speculation about why he left the show. Well, in part three of the interview he reveals what made him finally leave. And it wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

For those who don't want to watch the videos, even though it is a good interview:
Spoiler
Homophobia from some of the crew. In short, somebody calling him a "faggot" one too many times. Not from his fellow cast, at least, he didn't mention that.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I haven't seen the Yost interview myself yet, but I've read about what he revealed. This is freaking huge and has shown up on mainstream celebrity news sites today like Perez Hilton, Entertainment Weekly, TMZ, etc. It could get bigger soon after Yost does his magazine interview. Pretty surreal, when old-timer PR fandom has been fringe for so long, with people nostalgically coming out to talk about it only in the last few years.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Wildforce

For some reason this comes across as Power Rangers: Ferngully to me.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'd call it Power Ranger's take on Captain Planet more than Furngully. Mostly because the villains lack the cheese of Tim Curry. Not that they were bad, mind you, but c'mon: TIM CURRY!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Majin Gojira wrote:I'd call it Power Ranger's take on Captain Planet more than Furngully. Mostly because the villains lack the cheese of Tim Curry. Not that they were bad, mind you, but c'mon: TIM CURRY!
Heh.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Fucking finally, he spoiled us with those two a month-ers so now I'm impatient.

PS: No, I was not one of the people who cared enough to demand he continue, just fyi.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

And he put up Ninja Storm

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

from all the ones I've seen from when I was a kid, the one that seemed the best was the time travel one (time force i think?)

-the citizens of the city that had giant monsters fighting giant robots all the time actually tried to fight back without relying on the power rangers all the time (tried to build some sort of giant anti monster tank, and had an anti-cannon fodder police force)
-main villain has a plausible reason for being evil besides world domination for its own sake.
-main villain redeems himself (iirc)
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Wait...is there seriously an adult Power Rangers fanbase? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I play Pokemon for God's sake, it's just taken me by surprise. Haven't watched it for years hehe.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Captain Spiro wrote:Wait...is there seriously an adult Power Rangers fanbase? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I play Pokemon for God's sake, it's just taken me by surprise. Haven't watched it for years hehe.
If Children of the 80s enjoyed GI Joe and Power Rangers into adulthood, Children of the 90s can enjoy Power Rangers now. Their is going to be a big Spongebob Nostalgia Boom by 2015.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Zor wrote:
Captain Spiro wrote:Wait...is there seriously an adult Power Rangers fanbase? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I play Pokemon for God's sake, it's just taken me by surprise. Haven't watched it for years hehe.
If Children of the 80s enjoyed GI Joe and Power Rangers
I'm thinking you meant Transformers or something along those lines.

Koolaidkirby: Yeah, the one you're thinking of is Time Force.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I personally left the franchise near the end of Zeo. This was mostly due to change in school getting out meant I wasn't at home when it aired. I remember calling Jason coming back as the Gold Ranger after Billy said he couldn't. I caught bits and pieces in the years to come, but never could get back into it. I did eventually hear about Forever Red, found it, and immediately loved. Lightspeed Rescue was the last series I caught any episode of, so Wildforce was the only Red Ranger I wasn't atleast a little familiar with.

I got into TGWTG about a month before Linkara started HoPR, and while I think the storyline has bogged down his main review, HoPR absolutely awoke my dormant love of Power Rangers.

I've started watching Samurai in the last week, and so far think its ok, I do like that the megazord is a costume again, i absolutely loathed what I've seen of full cgi.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite