Scenes in movies that had the "wrong" effect on you

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Re: Scenes in movies that had the "wrong" effect on you

Post by Anguirus »

^ That is possibly the most epic missing of the point that has ever happened, ever.

I thought the final action beat in Star Trek (escaping the black hole) was utterly laughworthy. Not only was the astrophysics ludicrously wrong, but it was such a cliche and cookie-cutter moment that there was no tension, not even fake movie tension, that everyone would escape alive. Hell, it blows by so fast that you don't have time to be tense; it's just pretty lights. So I found it funny and sad, rather than the epic, wizardly escape that is intended.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Most of the dramatic parts in 2012 made me crack up a bit. Especially the ending.
Man have you seen the alternate ending??

Redeeming feature is the scaling shot of the arks.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Anguirus wrote:^ That is possibly the most epic missing of the point that has ever happened, ever.
But one which he shares with a lot of people. Probably including Jackson since the key scene when the hobbits return home was cut. Not even recorded for the special long directors whatever version.
jcow79
Padawan Learner

Post by jcow79 »

I agree with anyone that mentioned 2012. Any epic tragedy that the director was trying to portray was completely lost when realizing that John Cusack was escaping it via limousine or Winnebago, depending on the scene.

Also, the MIA, "Born Free" video ++http://www.miauk.com(NSFW) that made headlines last month about violence in music videos. When it becomes apparent that they are rounding up red heads I could not stop laughing and thinking of the South Park episodes about “gingers”.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

The scenes in Princess Mononoke where Ashitaka decapitates armored soldiers/bandits by shooting arrows at them. Their intent is to depict the horrific hate-fueled strength he gains through the demon-god's curse, as a parallel to the morally complicated environmental impact of Iron Town... but the effect is almost slapstick.

Now that I know it's coming I can look at it from the film's intended perspective, but in the theater I'm afraid I was one of the people who laughed.

...But maybe it IS supposed to be funny? Mononoke isn't a humorless movie; that scene is just a jarring contrast to the serious, dire tone that had been set to that point.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

For me it's a scene from Mulholland Falls where the feds are trying to get L.A. detective Nick Nolte to drop a murder case. They mail a package to Nolte's wife, played by annoying harpy Melanie Griffith. From the shape of the package and from earlier scenes in the movie, it's obviously a reel of film with Nolte shagging pre-anorexia Jennifer Connelly.

When Griffith reaches down to pick up the package (the only sound is some overly melodramatic music) , a woman in the audience says out loud:

"God, I hope that's a bomb!"

Several of us snickered, then laughed, and for the next few minutes the whole audience was laughing as hard as I can remember laughing in any comedy.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Sarevok wrote:My problem is I never hallucinate or dream like movie people. Their hallucinations and dreams are essentially adventures in a holodeck or the matrix. That shits unbelievable and impossible to relate to.
What movies are you thinking of in particular? Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas handles hallucinations brilliantly, and The Science of Sleep (though not a very good movie) has a pretty good portrayal of dreams (well, at least at the beginning of the movie ... later on the dreams get a little too fantastic). Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also has really accurate portrayals of flashback/dream.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Night_stalker wrote:
Sinewmire wrote:
ROTK, Sauron dying.
ME: NOOOOOO!!!!!!! Defeated by a a pair of HALFINGS!?!?!?!?!? INCONCEIVABLE! THE LORD OF ALL EVIL DOESN'T GET DEFEATED BY A PAIR OF FUCKING HALFINGS! THE EWOKS WERE BETTER THAN THIS!
That was the ENTIRE POINT of ALL THREE movies!
You're telling me Sauron, the lord of all evil in the Third Age, should be defeated by a pair of halfings! Why not make it soemthing cool, like a final battle against Aragorn
Wasn't that one of the deleted scenes? where he Sauron came down in physical form to fight Aragorn?
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

To reiterate what has already been said:

Sauron being killed in a duel with Aragorn would have undermined everything that happened up to that point, and would have been an inexcusable alteration.

Aragorn did get his confrontation with Sauron, though. But it wasn't a physical confrontation. In the books he confronts Sauron mentally though Sauruman's Palantir, and wins. Some version of this was included in the Extended Edition of Return of the King, as I recall.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Spoonist wrote:
Anguirus wrote:^ That is possibly the most epic missing of the point that has ever happened, ever.
But one which he shares with a lot of people. Probably including Jackson since the key scene when the hobbits return home was cut. Not even recorded for the special long directors whatever version.
I will give Jackson that one. It would have been frakking impossible to make a Scouring of the Shire with dramatic impact. Movies have to structure the tension in a certain way or else people just tune out. Which would be a "wrong effect."

Remember how people ALREADY bitch that the movie takes forever to end? Yeah, imagine that with the Scouring tacked on. We already know how much the hobbits grew as characters in the film and that they saved their home from the destruction prophesied by Galadriel's mirror.

This is in stark opposition to the point-missing of Night_stalker, since in the movies they explicitly spell out that Sauron is way too powerful for any strategy other than tricking him and sneaking in to destroy the ring to work. "For Hobbits will change the fortunes of all" and all that.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Star Trek: Insurrection, the parts where the movie was showing.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

@NightStalker: You seem to be under the mistaken impression that stories are about the characters wandering through the plot doing cool things. A lot of people think this and it is why most Hollywood movies suck. Sauron cannot be defeated by simple force of arms. You cannot simply beat up evil, it is a quest of a "spiritual" nature. He would be defeated by having his hold upon Middle Earth destroyed, represented symbolically by the one ring. Even more importantly is that there isn't any real hope of defeating him; no one can resist the power of the ring at the place of its creation. Frodo was destined to fail. The ring is destroyed by chance alone. The journey was the important part, not the destination; Frodo and Sam made it to Mount Doom, despite all the hardship because they had held out hope and their companionship won through the adversities inflicted upon it. In retrospect it is easy to see that it was written by a Brit who lived through WWII, it is about keeping simple virtues through the most hopeless of situations. To have an epic duel would be to cheapen every bit of suffering in the story and render all the development pointless. It would be like having WWII end with a fistfight between Hitler and Stalin, cool but worthless for any purpose of storytelling.

@OP: Similar to Pick's, Transformers 2, the whole damn movie. Everything that was supposed to be funny made me cringe and all the points were I was supposed to be emotionally moved I was apathetic and bored. In the late 80's when Optimus died I cried. Now, 20 years later when one of the characters who taught me what it was to be a hero dies, I don't give a shit. The movie would have been more emotionally impacting if it was 30 minutes of Megan Fox and Shia Lebouff making out with explosions in the background. Movie making could only improve if Michael Bay dies in a pyrotechnics accident.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Return Of The King —the Hobbits all leaping around in Frodo's sickbed after he's returned from Sauron's mountain. I'd already started thinking the whole scene should have been scored with the disco single "It's Raining Men", but with the peculiar expression on Ian McKellen's face as he's laughing at the spectacle.... It just seemed a bit creepy at that point.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yeah, and did anyone actually cry when Data sacrificed himself? I just thought it
was a cheap ploy to draw a parallel between him and Spock.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The very first time I saw Psycho, it was on late night TV, no they didn't cut anything out, it was the TV ad for "Ginsu" just before the shower scene. I looked over to my sibs and said, "and still it slices the tomato"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Having Aragorn fight Sauron at the end would certainly make the series a lot shorter since you could then delete the whole Frodo and the One Ring subplot as unnecessary. Why, they must have wasted half the book on those guys slogging through Mordor. Just have Aragorn follow in the footsteps of his ancestor Isildur and claim the ring as his own, naming himself the Lord of the Rings. Armed with the ring he siezes the throne of Gondor and leads its armies to victory over Sauron, who he defeats in a duel liberally spiced with piano wire and CGI explosions. Victorious, he and his wife Arwen go on to unite all of Middle Earth forever under their rule in a kingdom stronger than the foundations of the earth. That's so awesome I can't believe dozens of hacks haven't already written that exact same plot. Oh, wait.

With ST Nemesis the scene where Picard looks at the old picture of himself is intended to show how he is much like Shinzon and it is only their different experiences that distinguish them, but it just serves to highlight how much Shinzon looks absolutely nothing like Picard. The scene that sets up the ramming in the climactic battle makes Picard look like a pompous tool rather than a clever fighter. And so much more...
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Ben Affleck's character waking up from a nightmare in Paycheck. Something about the way his legs come up before he sits up make it comical instead of startling...
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Most of the dramatic parts in 2012 made me crack up a bit. Especially the ending.
This. I was rolling through most of the big dramatic escape scenes.

One I'm not sure about is the scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray is killing himself over and over again. It seems like it's being played for dramatic purposes, but I always get a couple of laughs out of it for some reason.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

phred wrote: One I'm not sure about is the scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray is killing himself over and over again. It seems like it's being played for dramatic purposes, but I always get a couple of laughs out of it for some reason.
Uhm. That's the idea. Groundhog Day is a comedy.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Patrick Degan wrote:Return Of The King —the Hobbits all leaping around in Frodo's sickbed after he's returned from Sauron's mountain. I'd already started thinking the whole scene should have been scored with the disco single "It's Raining Men", but with the peculiar expression on Ian McKellen's face as he's laughing at the spectacle.... It just seemed a bit creepy at that point.
Oh good, it wasn't just me... :wink:
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

JME2 wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:Return Of The King —the Hobbits all leaping around in Frodo's sickbed after he's returned from Sauron's mountain. I'd already started thinking the whole scene should have been scored with the disco single "It's Raining Men", but with the peculiar expression on Ian McKellen's face as he's laughing at the spectacle.... It just seemed a bit creepy at that point.
Oh good, it wasn't just me... :wink:
Oh Kevin Smith figured this out a long time ago. Skip to 2:25 on this clip and you can see what I mean.

Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It's Raining Men is way too butch for that scene. This would have been more fitting.

Millie Small is a perfect name for a hobbit, too.
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

The final charge against the Gatling guns in The Last Samurai, which was meant to be some "noble" heroic stand. After all the fetishistic wanking of the samurai and the "honorable" way of the sword versus the "cowardly" guns, I found it hard to sympathize with the dumbshit protagonists.

That's what happens when you charge with melee weapons against rapid ranged fire over an open field of fire, morons. I don't care how honorable you think you are. Hell, it should've happened earlier even against the line of guys armed with breech loaders.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ilya Muromets wrote: That's what happens when you charge with melee weapons against rapid ranged fire over an open field of fire, morons. I don't care how honorable you think you are. Hell, it should've happened earlier even against the line of guys armed with breech loaders.
Weren't they bolt-action Mauser knockoffs? I may remember it wrong...

The entire final battle was terrible, anyway. Why did Imperial soldiers do a bayonett charge at all? Why did they approach to within a dozen meters of their target? They should've either made the samurai, well...smarter...or had them slaughtered en masse as they attempted to charge after the second salvo...straight into the third, fourth and fifth one. Even Napolenic soldiers could keep up a continous hail of fire with their fucking breech-loading muskets, why the Japanese couldn't do it with breechloaders or bolt action rifles (whatever they were) is beyond me.

EDIT: The battle does have one redeeming point, though, right before the charge, with the exchange between Cruise's character and Katsumoto.

Katsumotow: "What happened to the Spartans at Thermopylae?"

Cruise: "Dead to the last man"

Katsumoto: *grins*

And they both charge. If the end sequence wasn't retarded it would've worked so much better thanks to that little line.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

PeZook wrote:Weren't they bolt-action Mauser knockoffs? I may remember it wrong...

The entire final battle was terrible, anyway. Why did Imperial soldiers do a bayonett charge at all? Why did they approach to within a dozen meters of their target? They should've either made the samurai, well...smarter...or had them slaughtered en masse as they attempted to charge after the second salvo...straight into the third, fourth and fifth one. Even Napolenic soldiers could keep up a continous hail of fire with their fucking breech-loading muskets, why the Japanese couldn't do it with breechloaders or bolt action rifles (whatever they were) is beyond me.
A net search reveals that the rifles used in the final battle were indeed anachronistic Mauser M1871/84 rifles.

Yeah, about the only reason the samurai even managed to do as much as they did throughout the whole movie was because they made every opponent they had utter morons. I could generously give the first battle in a film a pass since those were barely-trained green troops with muzzle-loaders, fighting in the forest with poor lighting conditions. But the bolt-action armed troops in the final battle had no excuse. In the real Satsuma rebellion, which the film was extremely loosely based on, even the samurai rebels were smart enough to have abandoned sword-fighting in favor of rifles.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice