Gone vegetarian! Advice needed!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

AMT
Jedi Knight

Gone vegetarian! Advice needed!

Post by AMT »

Me and the girlfriend have decided to go "cold turkey" vegetarian (tho we still consume eggs and dairy for protein).

For the resident veg heads on the board, was curious as to some advice that could be given, and what side effects may occur due to going cold turkey. I've seen on some sites how someone could get "detox" headaches going that way, but I'm not sure how valid that is.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Gone vegetarian! Advice needed!

Post by General Zod »

Stop while you still can and go back to eating meat.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I'm not a vegetarian, but my girlfriend's family is. The best advice I can give you right now: garlic is your new best friend. You need something to replace the flavors you're going to lose without meat in your diet, and there are very few savory dishes that can't be improved by garlic. Black pepper, hot sauce, olive oil, you'll need those too. Potatoes and beans are cheap bulk which absorb the flavors of whatever they're cooking in; beans also have lots of protein. Asian cuisine is more veg friendly than Western, southern European more so than northern (if you're still eating fish, contemporary Italian is a pescatarian's dream)

Watch your iron and vitamin intake. I've never heard of meat withdrawal headaches, but you will need to replace the iron and B6 you were getting from meat.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I've been vegan since 1997 and I haven't had any problems with my health. I went "cold turkey" as well (more or less). I haven't lost weight since then and I never feel weak or experience low energy. Of course, I do exercise regularly (which is good advice for anyone, no matter the diet) and I take some supplements. I never experienced a "detox headache."

That said, tell your doctor you are changing your diet. My doctor knows my diet, has no problem with it and it really hasn't been an issue.

A lot of mainstream grocery store chains are starting to carry more and more veg-oriented foods. Some of it is pretty lousy, but some of it is really quite good. Forget meat analogues tasting like meat. They don't taste like meat, for the most part. They taste like something else, but they can taste very good. My only other recommendation is to find some good veg restaurants. Go see what's possible with your new diet, maybe buy a good veg cookbook and do not be afraid to try new things.

Additionally (just thought of this), perhaps check out Meetup dot com and see if there are any Veg Meetups in your area. Aside from being exposed to new foods, you will meet people who share your diet and they will have lots of tips for you. In our case, (as one example) there is a local family that hosts a small get-together once a month. Everyone brings a veg dish and there is always something new to try. Do, however, be wary of groups that are oriented towards , shall we say, "excessive" protesting on street corners and the like (unless you are into that sort of thing). I stay about as far away from those people as I can.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

If you were going vegan, I'd say to make sure you replace lost vitamin B12 intake (you simply don't get it eating plants, so a vegan diet requires it in supplements somehow), but dairy is a sufficient source of it. I don't know of any basis for claims of ill effects from suddenly not eating meat apart from not replacing what meat supplies in your diet with something else (it's not a drug; the idea of physical withdrawal symptoms is laughable). Good luck with your diet, and if you get preachy may some jerk eat a bucket of the Colonel's original recipe in front of you. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It's not cheating if you eat it extra-rare.

Just saying.

For an actual contribution, you'll want to start going to the farmer's market and such now, since you can get some pretty decent prices on bulk purchases direct from them rather than going through supermarkets - and a lot of said supermarket produce, thanks to being handled for longevity and visual appeal, loses a bit of taste and texture which you will want to be experiencing now that you don't have meat.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'd suggest exploring Asian, Indian, and Mediterranean cuisines, all of which have more vegetarian options than the typical western diet.

I also concur that the "meat substitutes" are crap for the most part - if you're going to eat vegetarian then find vegetarian meals you like that don't attempt to be something else.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I often go days without eating meat simply because there are a lot of non-meat things I like for their own sake, and when I do that I don't really miss meat.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Broomstick wrote:I also concur that the "meat substitutes" are crap for the most part - if you're going to eat vegetarian then find vegetarian meals you like that don't attempt to be something else.
We're lucky in that relatively near where we live are a pair of Asian restaurants we visit now and then. They do a very good job with mock meats, "sushi" and the like. This is from the other night:

That's some mixed vegetable rolls (seaweed salad, avocado, cucumber, pickled radish, squash, shitake) on the left and six bean curd tofu rolls with rice on the right. Excellent and very filling--it was quite dense. I suspect even a meat-eater would enjoy it.

Prepackaged veg food can be expensive too. As I said, I try to stay away from most of it because of cost and the fact that much of it isn't good. I do enjoy veggie cold cuts, however. A few packages will last me more than a week for daily sandwich lunches in the warmer months. I actually had a Tofurky for Thanksgiving and it was fine (my girlfriend doesn't like it much at all, though). I'll be damned if I can find a decent veggie hotdog, however. If you want to pay for it, you can find pretty much anything you want in veg form.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Broomstick wrote:I'd suggest exploring Asian, Indian, and Mediterranean cuisines, all of which have more vegetarian options than the typical western diet.

I also concur that the "meat substitutes" are crap for the most part - if you're going to eat vegetarian then find vegetarian meals you like that don't attempt to be something else.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I often go days without eating meat simply because there are a lot of non-meat things I like for their own sake, and when I do that I don't really miss meat.
What he said. I'm a meat eater but I come from a country where vegetarianism is the norm (hey, 400 million vegetarians can't be wrong!) and plus my girlfriend is vegetarian. My parents were a working couple and so for about six days of the week while I was growing up, I used to eat vegetarian food, with predominantly fish on Sundays (my roots are from a coastal village). So I can go for extended periods without eating any meat or fish and not realise it.

Start stocking up on various Indian spices - turmeric, red chilli powder, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, anise/fennel, bishop's weed, ground and whole cumin, mustard seeds, ground coriander, dry ginger.... Experiment! There are tonnes of Indian recipes out there, and I'll be damned if they can't keep you busy.

Also, good to hear that you're still into dairy, because cottage cheese (Indian style blocks, not the crumbly things you get in the market) adds a brilliant variance to your food. It's easy to make at home too, because I just made a batch on Sunday. Palak Paneer (aka pureed spinach and cottage cheese blocks) is a spectacular dish.

If you want a single hit, though, look up 'garam masala' in the Indian section of your supermarket. Start with small quantities. You won't regret it.

And if you want any good recipes, let me know :)
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

FSTargetDrone wrote:We're lucky in that relatively near where we live are a pair of Asian restaurants we visit now and then. They do a very good job with mock meats, "sushi" and the like.
Vegetable sushi is not "sushi" in quotes, it's still sushi. Sushi refers to the rice, not what is with the rice. Raw fish is "sashimi" when served by itself, and it's sushi when served with sushi rice.

But yes, there are a LOT of sushi options that have no fish whatsoever. I explain it to the sushi-phobic as basically a fancy salad.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Thanks for all the great replies!
Already been looking into the farmer's market. We also have a whole foods supermarket here so we can get better variety there.
Have to disagree about the fake meat stuff tho. We've been having it and, sure, it's not meat, but it's a pretty tasty soy/tofu thing. It makes for good sandwhiches or when we want to add a little something to Quesadillas.

Thankfully, we love having asian and indian food. Med. food... not so much (I like some of it, she's not a fan of the spices), and we have several ok restaurants around here.

Figured that the "detox" thing was bullshit, but you never know. She's sometimes bad about taking vitamins and stuff, so I'll let her see this thread and try to guilt her into taking them, see if that clears it up.

Also, a technical question: if we take fish oil pills would that makes us the pentanarins or whatever it's called (those that eat fish, dairy, eggs)? Was curious.

And I will hopefully never become preachy! I love the taste of meat way too much to do that! Only problem I have with eating it is that Americans eat way too much of it per day. Beyond that, someone have a medium rare NY strip for me, please!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

AMT wrote:Have to disagree about the fake meat stuff tho. We've been having it and, sure, it's not meat, but it's a pretty tasty soy/tofu thing. It makes for good sandwhiches or when we want to add a little something to Quesadillas.
Well, if YOU like it then by all means do eat it.
Figured that the "detox" thing was bullshit, but you never know. She's sometimes bad about taking vitamins and stuff, so I'll let her see this thread and try to guilt her into taking them, see if that clears it up.
A multivitamin a day is unlikely to harm and will help even out any irregularities in your diet - though, honestly, as long as you're eating a wide variety of stuff you're unlikely to be very deficient in anything. There are some exceptions to that rule (iron for people with diagnosed anemia, vitamin D for dark skinned people at high latitudes, and so forth) but not many, and a multivitamin would cover a lot of folks who need a little extra of one thing or another.
Also, a technical question: if we take fish oil pills would that makes us the pentanarins or whatever it's called (those that eat fish, dairy, eggs)? Was curious.
pescatarian - eats fish but not other animal flesh

Ovo-lacto vegetarian - eats dairy and eggs but not animal flesh

Ovo-lacto-pescatarian - combo of the two above

vegan - eats no animal products

flexitarian - mostly one of the above, but does occasionally eat meat.

AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Well we technically aren't eating the flesh... just absorbing the fatty acid. Guess that works!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's a quibble - I know vegetarians who use chicken or beef broth in dishes. Some would consider that "cheating". Frankly, I try not to get that hung up about stuff. Some people would consider fish oil pills as "eating fish" and others wouldn't.

Don't get too hung up on definitions - just find what works for you. There really aren't "vegee police" that will knock down your door and double check what's in your pantry, so don't sweat it.

Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I will personally vouch for Quorn chicken substitute as being basically indistinguishable from chicken in texture and ability to take other flavors. I tried it once and didn't notice a difference.

Portobello mushrooms work well in place of steaks, chops, etc. on the plate. Marinate them, mark them on the grill, and finish in the oven. Tasty and they don't take very long either.
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Whenever I need to cook for vegetarians I roast some nuts or seeds to substitute the meat. You can spice them up if needed and for me they work well as a flavour/taste replacement and our vegetarian friends love them.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

AMT wrote:Thanks for all the great replies!
Already been looking into the farmer's market. We also have a whole foods supermarket here so we can get better variety there.
Have to disagree about the fake meat stuff tho. We've been having it and, sure, it's not meat, but it's a pretty tasty soy/tofu thing. It makes for good sandwhiches or when we want to add a little something to Quesadillas.
Broomstick is right, if you like it, that's all that counts! Some of it is quite good. I sometimes get these frozen vegan buffalo wings from Health Is Wealth that are pretty good as a snack. I like Boca vegan burgers. Tofurky Deli Slices are good on sandwiches and their hot dogs are passable, but not the best. Yves Veggie Cusine products are good. I get their Deli Slices and Veggie Chorizo frequently. I like their burgers because they aren't frozen, unlike Boca. Amy's Kitchen has some vegan products among their line. I like some of their canned soups.

Meat-free veggie broths are easy enough to find. Many companies make it. Swanson, etc. That's cake compared to finding good vegan cheese (in my case!) Next to hot dogs, tasty cheese substitutes are the toughest thing to find. A few hard-to-get-from boutique places make it, but so far the FYH one I linked to is the best I've tasted.

Incidentally, everything I linked to is available in "regular" grocery stores. While I prefer to patronize the smaller health food places, they are just too expensive and too far away. If you have a Wegmans nearby, it should have a lot vegetarian stuff you can choose from. I get some vegan items there. Also around here, Giant Supermarkets carries just about everything I need.

(edited multiple times as I thought of more stuff)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

On a semi more serious note, apparently Jewish grocers are ideal for vegans/vegetarians due to the way their foods are prepared. Look out for those if you have any in your city.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Buy vegetable broth? Bah--you can make a good vegetable broth with olive oil, sauteed onions, garlic, carrots, celery, canned diced tomatoes, salt, and water. Takes forty-five minutes, including prepping the vegetables, and you can add almost anything you want afterward to make the soup .
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

RedImperator wrote:Buy vegetable broth? Bah--you can make a good vegetable broth with olive oil, sauteed onions, garlic, carrots, celery, canned diced tomatoes, salt, and water. Takes forty-five minutes, including prepping the vegetables, and you can add almost anything you want afterward to make the soup .
Of course. I often make my own soup rather than buying canned. I was just talking about pre-packaged stuff that's available.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

I suggest the following sites:

Indian Food Forever - Simple recipes, not very authentic.

Tarla Dalal is one of India's premier celeb chefs. A lot of single folk have her cookbooks at home and vouch by them, she can get a bit elaborate though.

Even the BBC Food website can be terrific, you just have to know your way around it. Though, AMT, I am assuming you/your better half *like* to cook?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I eat a great deal of faux meat. Mimic chicken tenders tend to be good, as well as sausage, but not bacon so much. Find a way that you enjoy soy, since it really is a useful addition to one's diet. Quinoa is a grain I recommend because it is both nutritious and tasty. Take a vitamin supplement; it can help if you're feeling strangely hungry on a prolonged basis. Consult a nutritionist, if one is available. Cauliflower can be added to many dishes for additional texture. Many Indian foods are vegetarian or vegan, so one of their cookbooks could be very useful to you. Try to make your dairy input high-quality (eg. Horizons milk). It doesn't matter that it's "organic"; it just legitimately tastes better. Skim Horizons is closer in taste to 2% regular milk than regular skim. Plain yogurt is both nutritious and filling.

I lost weight as a vegetarian and just generally feel better. Ignore people who give you shit over it, as they are clearly assholes. There's no reason that a restricted diet deserves scorn. (One's flaunting of it might, but that's not what we're talking about.)

Oh, also, please check Seafood Watch if you decide to eat fish. They list which fish are harvested sustainably and which are not; guides are free and they'll send you as many of the cards as you need.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Pick wrote:I eat a great deal of faux meat. Mimic chicken tenders tend to be good, as well as sausage, but not bacon so much.
I've noticed the same with respect to the bacon. What kind of tenders do you like?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The glory of bacon is inimitable; all attempts to emulate its greatness are doomed to failure. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

UnderAGreySky wrote:I suggest the following sites:

Indian Food Forever - Simple recipes, not very authentic.

Tarla Dalal is one of India's premier celeb chefs. A lot of single folk have her cookbooks at home and vouch by them, she can get a bit elaborate though.

Even the BBC Food website can be terrific, you just have to know your way around it. Though, AMT, I am assuming you/your better half *like* to cook?
Cooking yes. Cleaning, not so much, lol.

I'll check out those sites, thanks!
For the ones with curry in them, in your experience how are they if you subtitute something for the curry for flavor, and what should you use?
I'm not a fan of indian style curry, so if I can find something that would be great.
I eat a great deal of faux meat. Mimic chicken tenders tend to be good, as well as sausage, but not bacon so much. Find a way that you enjoy soy, since it really is a useful addition to one's diet. Quinoa is a grain I recommend because it is both nutritious and tasty. Take a vitamin supplement; it can help if you're feeling strangely hungry on a prolonged basis. Consult a nutritionist, if one is available. Cauliflower can be added to many dishes for additional texture. Many Indian foods are vegetarian or vegan, so one of their cookbooks could be very useful to you. Try to make your dairy input high-quality (eg. Horizons milk). It doesn't matter that it's "organic"; it just legitimately tastes better. Skim Horizons is closer in taste to 2% regular milk than regular skim. Plain yogurt is both nutritious and filling.

I lost weight as a vegetarian and just generally feel better. Ignore people who give you shit over it, as they are clearly assholes. There's no reason that a restricted diet deserves scorn. (One's flaunting of it might, but that's not what we're talking about.)

Oh, also, please check Seafood Watch if you decide to eat fish. They list which fish are harvested sustainably and which are not; guides are free and they'll send you as many of the cards as you need.
Well I'm a big soy fan (Edamame, toasted soy nuts, soy milk, tofu, etc.) so that isn't a big problem for me...
And I take the veggie stuff in stride since I make the same jokes myself.
I haven't tried the tenders yet tho I do enjoy the buffalo chicken ones.
Same with the fake bacon.