New Member Introductions

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mayabird
Storytime!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Mayabird »

Climhazzard wrote:Like many others, I am a long-time lurker and now a poster. I remember google searching 'creationist science fair', this board popped up, and I spent a long 7 years lurking. Currently finishing up college to go to graduate school for entomology, I am very busy but try to fill my free time with reading, and I enjoy long walks on short beaches.
Cool, so we've got a bug person too? We can add that to the herps, the birdies (sorta), and the dinosaurs (which are like herps and birds, but with a lot of extra awesome mixed it). Though now that makes me wonder if we have any studiers of mammals about or proper botanists.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Ace_of_Spades
Redshirt

Post by Ace_of_Spades »

Hello all, I've been lurking on and off for the past two or three years and finally decided to get an account. I'm not really talkative and I'm really only posting right now so I don't lose my shiny new account in the purge.
Rommel123
Redshirt

Post by Rommel123 »

Hello; posting just not to get account deleted.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Hi. My real name is George. I came up with the my user name when trying to think up an email address. I picked the first three things to grab my attention: a toy tank, a stuffed shark, and my cat. I found this site when browsing through TV Tropes' article on Ancient Astronauts.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

wait TV tropes has us in it?

god talk about murdering freetime and wearing it's skin.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yeah. On that article, it said that pyramids are not exactly indicative of advanced technology and linked to the page on size and why it's not a matter of raw materials.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Graewolfe
Redshirt

Post by Graewolfe »

Posting to Lurk *cloaks*
Sorly
Redshirt
Location: Redneck country, surrounded by traps, armed to the teeth. For my protection from said rednecks.

Post by Sorly »

Hello, all, I'm new here. My real name's Ryan, if it matters in the least, though you can call me whatever you please. I'm here because a friend of mine, Darkevilme, has been badgering me for months, and in general this seems like a pretty awesome place to be. M'friendly enough, all told, and try not to make an ass of myself, so if you feel like chatting, drop a line.
Insert keen and biting wit here.
darkron
Redshirt

Post by darkron »

Hello everyone. The real name is Ron. The title comes from playing perfect dark multi player on the nintendo 64. I guess it was to intimidate the dark sims. How far we've come. I've been lurking here for years and finally decided to join the community. Thanks
Lanika
Redshirt

Post by Lanika »

Hey all! I registered recently thanks to a friend who has been active on this board for a few months now. I chose this username because Lanika has been the name of all my main characters in every MMO/RPG I have played. Real name is Roxanne and I am French-Canadian. My english isn't perfect but I will try and keep it as clean as possible.

I will be lurking for awhile and hopefully join in the debates soon enough.
JohnKPlisskin
Redshirt

Post by JohnKPlisskin »

Hi there. So, I'm new (obviously) and figured I'd introduce myself.

My online name is John Kovacs Plisskin, or JohnKPlisskin as the screen name here. My user name is the pen/screen name I use for my writing and video work. The name is a combination of several men whom I respect and admire. I'd rather not share my real name, but I wanted to be honest and say that this is an alias.

I joined the site because I haven't been involved in a message board community for a long time and I kinda miss the feeling of it. Plus, I do a fairly boring, repetitive job from home and need something to help keep my sanity. I joined this one in specific though because my best friend is always on here reading the thread discussions and such. I'm not sure if he's a lurker or a member, honestly I haven't asked him yet, but the site seems really interesting.

Anyhoo, that's me, and I'm here, and it'll be nice getting to know everyone.
cloakgrey
Redshirt

Post by cloakgrey »

Just saying hi and that I mostly lurk
somnick
Redshirt

Post by somnick »

Hi, I am from Germany and 30 years old. That should be enough information for the OMFG THE INTERNET KNOWS ALL ABOUT YOU software to find out my address, my bank account and my girlfriends preferences.

Im a long time lurker too, years actually, dropping in from time to time when I felt the need to read what intelligent people think about stuff :D (holding open palms to the aliens, hoping they recognize this as a sign of peace).
I even made an account one or two times just to read in ARSE :oops:

What finally drove me to post was a renewed interest in what's going on in the world, starting with the recent changes in Egypt, then the rebellion in Libya. After waking up from full anesthesia for surgery (nothing serious) first thing I asked my visiting girlfriend was "How's Gaddafi?". Anyway after that the Earthquake and Tsunami and the nuclear ....incident.

Is it just me or is it that a lot happened during the past weeks?
After watching TV news for a couple of days I got quite fed up with ...you know what. And then I came here and finally decided to say something.

Greetings, may rational thinking and intellectual honesty always prevail....most of the time...at least sometimes.
Aldroud
Redshirt

Post by Aldroud »

Hi,

I'm Lee, 42 years old, male, married with two kids, and a moderately bad dancer. I've been trying to develop some talents as a writer, mostly science fiction or steampunk themed. Please be gentle when criticizing my attempts at dialogue. Currently I'm employed by the military-industrial complex as a research analyst. I do math, not literature, but I'm trying, I swear. Read some amazingly cool stories here, so hoping to be able to contribute something.
sohal231
Redshirt

Post by sohal231 »

Hello everyone..This is my first post in this forum....
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

I've been lurking for at least a year now, so I finally bothered to make an account.

I'm simply a freshman in college that loves to write. I do movie reviews, game reviews, I'm starting to write scripts for short web videos, and I'll be uploading all of these on my blog soon enough. I'm looking to go see Sucker Punch this weekend so look out for that review. I've been meaning to write a fanfic, but I've been putting it off for a while now, but hopefully I can crank out a few chapters of something eventually so look out for that. I'm not here to plug my own stuff, I want to contribute to board, participate in some decent discussions whether its simply trolling or an actual debate. So yeah, let's see how this plays out.
Calliope
Redshirt

Post by Calliope »

Hello all! I'm Calliope from the Northern California backwoods, and I've lurked this site for awhile, usually intimidating myself out of joining. But no more!

I'm a sci-fi fan, with my interests lying mostly in the themes and characters and less in the tech aspect. That said, I'm always ready to put in two cents about Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, and on a good day, Star Wars or Battlestar.

I'm also an amateur writer, but I haven't ventured into the the sci-fi/fantasy genre yet. Perhaps one day soon..?

Looking forward to meeting you all :)
"They are ill discoverers that think there is no land when they can see nothing but sea." - Francis Bacon

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large; I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Welcome fellow Californicator from the sticks, I'm surrouned by trailer park types, (reminds me, the week long rockslides wiped out everything on the cliff sides of El Portal except the Trailer Park (which can now be seen by the tourons)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
MarxII
Youngling

Post by MarxII »

Another lurker joins the ranks. I am Dylan, my user name is an uncreative but ready fallback and I am mostly interested in history and writing.

Thanks
Maxi86
Redshirt

Post by Maxi86 »

Hi! I'm Max! As you guessed, I'm new here. By chance I have come here and stayed.
Maelstrom
Redshirt

Post by Maelstrom »

Greetings everyone! Long time lurker here. For what it's worth, my real name is Chad, I'm 32, and I reside in the glorious state of Kansas.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Another long-time lurker turned recent poster. My name is Patrick, I'm pretty big into 40k and SW, but I read/watch all sorts of things.
I am 22, and working on my Masters part-time while teaching English at a local high school.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Well, hello I suppose. I lurked for about 3 years before deciding to join, and rather obviously, I like 40K. I always thought SDN was pretty cool, seeing quite more than a few rational people on the board - although that probably has something to do with how many raging trektards they've crushed.

I also hate the Yuuzhan Vong to the point that if this was the Warp, my stare would likely reduce them to ash. :evil:

But again, hello, and I hope that I won't annoy you too much.
Lokwar
Redshirt

Post by Lokwar »

I signed up earlier in the month but figured id pop in and post here to say whats up to everyone
Sithking Zero
Youngling

Post by Sithking Zero »

Greetings, one and all! The great Sithking Zero bids you hello and good tidings!
This son of the great Windy City of Chicago, Illinois enjoys writing, reading, and looks forwards to talking with such esteemed writers as yourselves.
He also has a small flair for the dramatic, you know, FYI.
Hope to see you on the forum, and that the GREAT SITHKING ZERO does not make an ass of himself!
34. If your gun is leaving scorch marks, you need a bigger gun.
35. That which does not kill you has made a grievous tactical error.
36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.
37. There is no such thing as "overkill." There is only "Open Fire," and "I need to reload."

Maxims 34-37, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.

Chapter Three of Concordiat Ascendent is now up.