Meghan McCain has nice tweets

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Meghan McCain has nice tweets

Post by Themightytom »

not really "news" but I was amused by the situation.
Meghan McCain, a Daily Beast columnist and daughter of Sen. John McCain, apologized late Wednesday after posting a photo of herself on Twitter that stirred up some criticism and plenty of retweets.

Twitpic
A photo of Meghan McCain got plenty of attention online after she linked to it from her Twitter account Wednesday night. The photo shows Ms. McCain in a tanktop, holding a copy of Andy Warhol’s biography, and her accompanying tweet referred to her “’spontaneous’ night in.”

With Ms. McCain’s tens of thousands of followers, her snapshot quickly made the rounds. She then began posting follow-up messages defending it.

“So I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit I am a slut,” she wrote, followed by “what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment” and “when I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a “slut”, I can’t even tell you how hurt I am.”

Later, she added, “I do want to apologize to anyone that was offended by my twitpic, I have clearly made a huge mistake and am sorry 2 those that are offended.”

Ms. McCain’s photo did trigger some criticism. “If @mccainblogette is the future of the GOP, we’re gonna have to get much more serious about real issues like glitter, fabric, and unicorns,” tweeted Danny Coles, a self-described “enlightened, charming, and disarming twenty-something conservative” in Washington, D.C. “Come on, you were taking a picture with your cleav as the centerpiece — on purpose. I don’t care, but let’s be honest.”

But those comments were outnumbered by the positive response. “Don’t listen to those peeps, some r just hateful,” wrote Amanda Shannon. “This is rediculous America! Just because someone posts a picture doesn’t make them a slut. Get your heads out of the gutter,” added John Adams. “For the record, @McCainBlogette’s twitpic is probably my favorite Twitpic ever,” wrote Derek Huff.

It turns out Ms. McCain’s appeal may cross the political divide. “I may be a super hardcore Dem, but I really find @McCainBlogette to be pretty awesome,” tweeted Melanie Aranda.

Source
tweet

Edit: fixed links

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Meghan McCain has nice tweets

Post by General Zod »

Turns out conservatards are retarded misogynists? Who Knew! That said I'd totally stick it in Meghan McCain's pooper.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh come the fuck on. She is totally showing off he tits in that picture. That certainly doesn't make her a slut and open to attack by idiots, but yeah, that was an intentional pose, and even if it wasn't, she had to have seen it before she posted it. Unless she always has her tits popping out the top of her turtle neck, she had to have noticed. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

The photo you were looking for doesn't exist anymore

:D
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Samuel wrote:The photo you were looking for doesn't exist anymore

:D
On the internets, there is no such thing as a photo no longer existing.

Eh, anyway, it's pretty mild. Anyone offended by that is probably offended by women wearing shorts.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Nope nothing is ever gone.

Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Damn, son. Meanwhile freepers just go on and on about how she's ugly because she doesn't follow the party line 100%.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

By the way I feel like we are dancing around some ironies here. Andy Warhol was characterized as superficial because he ultimately didn't care about what people thought of him, he just liked to get paid. in his mind everyone else could change their opinion of him, he wasn't going to change.

Noooot so much Meghan who immediately rescinds picture and offers weak explanation.

Also Warhol was suspected of being gay, did Meghan not get the memo?

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

*saves pic* :D

The picture does look a suggestive, but so what? She's still clothed and that's hardly anything you won't see on the street now. If any normal-looking girl did that, men would check it out then move right along. She's basically being criticized for doing this while being hot and semi-famous. And for being Republican who's socially liberal.

I just love the hypocrisy coming from the right. Go to the Fox News website RIGHT NOW (or any other day actually) and you can see scantily-clad pictures of models and celebs on the front page. They even have a regular sex advice column called "FOXSexpert" (the pictured columnist is also hot and in a similar pose, I would like to add). The people crying about the sexualization of society are the ones who prefer the most perved out news service.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

What? WHAT? That it so mild it hurts. Beaches have girls showing more cleavage then that! Oh no a girl is wearing a push up bra and took a picture of herself! Hide the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition it worse then that! ARGH!!!! Head Explodes!!!!!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Isolder74 wrote:What? WHAT? That it so mild it hurts. Beaches have girls showing more cleavage then that! Oh no a girl is wearing a push up bra and took a picture of herself! Hide the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition it worse then that! ARGH!!!! Head Explodes!!!!!
"Worse"? You mean it's better. :P
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:What? WHAT? That it so mild it hurts. Beaches have girls showing more cleavage then that! Oh no a girl is wearing a push up bra and took a picture of herself! Hide the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Worse"? You mean it's better. :P
In this context worse fits a bit more. Think about this they are complaining about a girl on a blog showing her fully clothed and covered chest!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Isolder74 wrote:In this context worse fits a bit more. Think about this they are complaining about a girl on a blog showing her fully clothed and covered chest!
I understand, I just find it amusing when those people use such wording. :)
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Themightytom wrote:By the way I feel like we are dancing around some ironies here. Andy Warhol was characterized as superficial because he ultimately didn't care about what people thought of him, he just liked to get paid. in his mind everyone else could change their opinion of him, he wasn't going to change.

Noooot so much Meghan who immediately rescinds picture and offers weak explanation.
She's well within her rights to withdraw a picture of herself after getting harassed by internet scum.
:wtf:
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Stofsk wrote:
Remember Stofsk, all Conservatives are the Other, thus they can all be assumed to hate Gays. The fact that Meghan McCain is extremely vocally Pro-Gay is irrelevent.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Stofsk wrote:
Themightytom wrote:By the way I feel like we are dancing around some ironies here. Andy Warhol was characterized as superficial because he ultimately didn't care about what people thought of him, he just liked to get paid. in his mind everyone else could change their opinion of him, he wasn't going to change.

She's well within her rights to withdraw a picture of herself after getting harassed by internet scum.
I never framed it as a question of rights stofsk, i pointed out that Andy Warhol notoriously ignored the public while Meghan caters to it.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:
Stofsk wrote:
Remember Stofsk, all Conservatives are the Other, thus they can all be assumed to hate Gays. The fact that Meghan McCain is extremely vocally Pro-Gay is irrelevent.
I did NOT know that. I withdraw my risque photo quip about anti gay republicans.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Wow! Those things could carry away two six-year-old kids!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Themightytom wrote: I never framed it as a question of rights stofsk, i pointed out that Andy Warhol notoriously ignored the public while Meghan caters to it.
Because people always agree with whoever they're reading at the moment right?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The conservatards aren't worthy of Meghan McCain, I think it's just that simple. She's clearly doing her best to prop up her party by being the voice of younger, cosmopolitan people. Unfortunately, she seems to actually share their values, which means she'll ultimately either have to give up on the Repubs or be ground down.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Eleas wrote:The conservatards aren't worthy of Meghan McCain, I think it's just that simple. She's clearly doing her best to prop up her party by being the voice of younger, cosmopolitan people. Unfortunately, she seems to actually share their values, which means she'll ultimately either have to give up on the Repubs or be ground down.
Didn't she switch from Dem to Republican during the election just to "show support" for her dad's Presidential bid anyway?
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

General Zod wrote: Didn't she switch from Dem to Republican during the election just to "show support" for her dad's Presidential bid anyway?
Possibly.

Maybe I'm seeing things where none exist. Thing is, right now I'm among other things dealing with the dichotomy of ideology versus upper-class family myself, and I'm in the same age bracket as her. I can't help but not see the parallels to how I was raised.

You're taught to think for yourself, but at the same time you're inundated with the concept of responsible behavior, sort of noblesse oblige. You're moneyed, but you don't advertise it consciously; it's sort of embarrassing, and you want to be just an average Joe, although of course you are extremely talented, good at school, approachable, genuinely caring, and good at art; something like that. You're more liberal than your parents, and you're socially aware, which isn't a problem in your relationship with them; they express admiration that you're growing up to be a philosopher.

In the end, there won't be a teenage rebellion. You will have a pleasant, fond, slightly formal relationship to parents and (if they exist) elder siblings that you admire almost beyond words. They're very understanding, slightly larger than life, and you owe them everything even if they seldom say it out loud. And the only thing you will be able to do to even approach living up to your infinite responsibilities is to support their cause (which will be well articulated, clearly enunciated at Sunday dinners, and morally based on the perceived needs of the many). You'll see the superficial merits and the flaws of the cause and work with it, and for a while you'll feel as if you're making a true difference. And then reality catches up to you.

I'm not saying this is exactly her situation. But it would deeply surprise me if there aren't strong commonalities.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

That's a hottie.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

General Zod wrote:
Themightytom wrote: I never framed it as a question of rights stofsk, i pointed out that Andy Warhol notoriously ignored the public while Meghan caters to it.
Because people always agree with whoever they're reading at the moment right?
No, because Meghan was catering specifically to public opinion by running an ongoing biography through twitter for public perusal. First she used Andy's biography, ironically, as I pointed out, as a prop in her attemopt to convey the "Dorky girl staying in" stereotype. She compounded the irony when she becomes overly concerned with public opinion and apologized, something Warhol preferred not to concern himself with.

The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

She reminds me of Sky Blue in that picture.

Am I the only one?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Themightytom wrote:
No, because Meghan was catering specifically to public opinion by running an ongoing biography through twitter for public perusal. First she used Andy's biography, ironically, as I pointed out, as a prop in her attemopt to convey the "Dorky girl staying in" stereotype. She compounded the irony when she becomes overly concerned with public opinion and apologized, something Warhol preferred not to concern himself with.
It seems like you're stretching too hard for the irony here.