Trick 'r Treat (SPOILERS)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JLTucker
BANNED

Trick 'r Treat (SPOILERS)

Post by JLTucker »

Have any of you heard of this film? It's written and directed by Michael Dougherty, the guy who wrote X2: X-Men United. It was released this week on DVD and Blu-Ray. It was completed in 2007 and was never given a wide release. There were some screenings but mostly at film festivals. I guess it wasn't marketable because of the content. It has received great reviews (there aren't many reviews so take that as you will). Here's the trailer.

I watched it today and I think it is fantastic. It's certainly the best horror film I've seen in the past five years or so. The film tells a number of stories: a couple discussing Halloween (Tahmoh Penikett of Battlestar Galactica fame and Leslie Bibb); a young woman who is looking to lose her virginity (Anna Paquin); a principal who has an unhealthy fascination with the holiday (Dylan Baker); an old recluse who loathes it (Brian Cox), and a group of children who want to pay their respects to the dead. Oh, and there's a mysterious figure that wears a burlap sack over its head who makes appearances throughout.

What's great about the film is that it is actually based on Halloween instead of just being another piece of shit horror film released around the holiday, like the Saw series. The film incorporates the traditional rules of the holiday, like checking your candy before eating it. The humor is great, there are a few homages to Carpenter's Halloween, and the lack of extensive violence is nice and refreshing when you compare it to all of the horror films released throughout the years.

If you are a horror fan, I'd recommend it.

Edit: Shit. I forgot to say what I don't like about it. The film is a bit predictable, to be honest. Anna Paquin's performance is uneven, which is really not unheard of if you've seen her films and the television series True Blood. It's still a fun film despite these two problems.