Quote of the Week suggestions and feedback

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Quote of the Week suggestions and feedback

Post by Lonestar »

"...the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."-Hermann Göring
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Burning petroleum is like stoking an oven with bank notes.

Mendeleev.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

"Fear of the unknown. They are afraid of new ideas. They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar. You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious." -Dr. Wayne Dyer, American author and lecturer (1940-), in a 1970s lecture sampled for the Pixar short Day and Night.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

"You are different from them, and they are afraid of what is different. And what people are afraid of, they try to destroy"

Dr Who, Doctor Who and the Daleks
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

So, why is the Madoff quote censored?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Rogue 9 wrote:So, why is the Madoff quote censored?
Yeah, that seems pretty un-SD.netish to me.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

How is Isaac 'quote of the week' to stephen fry? Isaac is the only biochemist out there who seemed determined to bore people to accept his points of life and that quote is of no exception, there must be much better (and entertaining) quotations then that surely?

Well better put forward some quotes for next week's.

Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult than to understand him.

Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821 - 1881)

--
Seeing a murder on television... can help work off one's antagonisms. And if you haven't any antagonisms, the commercials will give you some

Alfred Hitchcock British movie director (1899 - 1980)
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The current quote is marked "anonymous." Not sure why; ten seconds on Google reveals those to be the words of David Frum.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
HankSolo
Redshirt

Post by HankSolo »

"The moral code, the moral compass of the state-controlled media is something to behold. Now, some of you may not know the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner hosted a state dinner last night (January 19) for Hu Jintao of China. Hu Jintao is holding the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner in prison in China. Not making it up. The 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner hosted a dinner for the guy holding the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner in prison, and the media does not get the irony of this at all. They're too busy running around chasing Sarah Palin and radio talk show hosts over 'civility.'"

-Rush Limbaugh (Credit to mjperry/umich)
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

While that was pretty ironic, I think you can cut the quote down quite a bit.

"The 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner hosted a dinner for the guy holding the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner in prison." -Rush Limbaugh

"Brevity is ... wit" and all that ;)
XXXI
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Of course, that is if Mike would ever put Rush Limbaugh into the quote rotation.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"...Make a habit of two things: To help, or at least to do no harm."

Hippocrates, Epidemics

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Ignorantia juris non excusat. Latin for the legal principal “ignorance of the law is no excuse”. Thousands of American soldiers falsely imagine they have committed no crime by aiding and abetting either of two illegal “aggressive” wars because no one in the military formally explained the facts of life to them. Others imagine because the USA is the dominant world power, and no one dare, for now, prosecute their war crimes, that American soldiers are hence innocent of capital war crimes."
~ Roedy Green (born: 1948-02-04 age: 63)
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"A kite rises highest flying agaisnt the wind, not with it."
-Winston Churchill

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange eons, even death may die."

EDIT: from H.P. Lovecraft, in one of his "forbidden texts." Thanks to Yosemite Bear for pointing this out!
Last edited by Eternal_Freedom on 2011-03-08 04:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

the above poster forgot to credit the quote to Howard Phillip Lovecraft, who attributed it to one of his forbidden texts.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

"You don't automatically become the good guys if you oppose the bad guys. You become the good guys by trying not to do evil things." - Our very own Chuck Sonnenburg
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

"Death had to take him sleeping, for if Roosevelt had been awake there would have been a fight." - Thomas R. Marshall, Vice President of the United States, on the death of Theodore Roosevelt
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"Ultimate power corrupts...that's why God's such a wanker."

- Adam Johnson, my coursemate, during a discussion about generation ships and the necessity for them being benign dictatorships.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

"Ruling elites admit to conspiring in secret, without being held accountable to anyone; they call it 'national security.'"
-- Michael Palenti, Democracy For The Few (Seventh Edition; p. 308).
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

"The carping and bickering of political factions in the nation's capitol reminds me of two pelicans quarreling over a dead fish." - William Tecumseh Sherman

"A return to first principles in a republic is sometimes caused by the simple virtues of one man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example." - Niccolo Machiavelli.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." - H.L. Mencken
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"They talk of democracy, freedom, fairness. Those are the creeds of cowards. The ones who would listen to a thousand opinions and try to satisfy them all. Achievement comes through absolute power, and power through strength!"

-Davros, insane creator of the Daleks, Genesis of the Daleks.

"The creatures of Earth have no stomach for judicial murder. They prefer to leave you to rot and die. They call it being humane."

-Davros, Resurrection of the Daleks.