Hair straightening

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rye
To Mega Therion

Hair straightening

Post by Rye »

As anyone that's looked in the "what do you look like" thread or even my avatar recently will hopefully notice my straight hair.

I had it dried straight yesterday and was genuinely amazed at how different it was (and how much easier it was to comb). Unfortunately, without thinking, I had a shower this morning and despite my best efforts, it's reverting pretty fast.

So, is there anyone about with curly hair with experience straightening at home around here? I'd like to know what products, machines and the like you use. How long does it take, any tips, anything else you can think of?

Additionally, has anyone tried permanent straightening? Any advice/scare stories there?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: Hair straightening

Post by Phantasee »

Just get one of them straighteners, they're like a curling iron but flat. You run your hair through it when it's hot, and it gets straightened. Is your hair frizzy, naturally? Mine is a bit, at least my beard is, so I haven't figured out how to get it actually straight yet. It ends up fairly straight but still frizzy.

There are products you can use, of course, I've only ever fucked around with my sister's straightener (when she wasn't looking, of course ;) ), so I didn't do it the 'right' way.
XXXI
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

My wife has enough curls to sport a fine Jewfro during humid (and not-so humid) weather, and when she opts to straighten her hair, she uses some sort of oil + a flat iron to do so. She does it much more often in the winter, as it's a great way to warm one's head up on cold mornings. I'll see if I can find out what oil she's using.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Phantasee wrote:Just get one of them straighteners, they're like a curling iron but flat. You run your hair through it when it's hot, and it gets straightened. Is your hair frizzy, naturally? Mine is a bit, at least my beard is, so I haven't figured out how to get it actually straight yet. It ends up fairly straight but still frizzy.
Yeah, my ex tried using hers on mine once, and it sort-of worked for about 40 minutes, then reverted. Yesterday, the ultra-hot hairdresser used a hair dryer (after, I'm guessing, putting something else on when she washed my hair) and then straighteners. Yeah, my hair's quite prone to frizz. I'm tempted to try ironing my hair tonight.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Bradbury
Redshirt

Post by Bradbury »

If you're serious about straightening your hair, get a Chi brand flat iron. They are expensive - I think mine was about $100 (it was a present) and it's a bit small. They do work extremely well and are sort of the standard as far as straighteners go. I had a cheap one before it and it took forever to straighten my hair (which is only just wavy), but the Chi gets it done in about five minutes for me.

If your hair is curly don't be afraid to leave the straightener in until steam comes off your hair - it's not burning it though it can still look a bit scary the first time. If your hair isn't staying straight then its because it wasn't heated up enough for long enough to get rid of the curls. And always make sure to use the straightener on dry hair.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Yeah, my sister has a red Chi straightener. She spent good money on it too.

She has a couple products I think you're supposed to use with it, and something after, and her hair is quite nice, so I suppose it works well enough. I'd recommend you go to a salon supply shop, or maybe just your regular hair salon, and ask them what they would recommend, or what they use themselves. We have a place called Chatters around here, but I doubt it's across the pond.

Oh man, Chatters....I remembered some amusing stories about that place. :lol:
XXXI
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

lf you went to a salon to have you hair relaxed with chemicals, most of the curl should be taken out so it would end up with just a bit of wave to it. That would make it much easier and faster to straighten it everyday with an iron, if you wanted this to be a regular thing.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman