Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

User avatar
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10204
Joined: 2005-06-01 01:44am
Location: A different time-space Continuum
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby The Grim Squeaker » 2012-10-06 06:54pm

What a wonderful birthday :)

(Even if I did get cock-blocked :P)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

User avatar
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase
Posts: 35211
Joined: 2002-07-21 02:38am
Location: Dave's Not Here Man
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby The Yosemite Bear » 2012-10-06 10:34pm

this morning
Your late
how can I be late, I'm here an hour before I'm regularly schedualed on my day off to cover for someone who caleld in sick
I'm the one who called in sick and I've been here two hours
ok, then he told me the wrong time to show up (actually she was one of two that called in sick, I just happened to be covering for the one that would have shown up an hour later)

boss your being a trooper
the only thing that confuses me, since you have me spending half a day on my sunday covering a sick call during a big banquet, and I have to be in on my following Saturday for manditory safety and sanitation classes does that mean I get double pay for the class day?
boss: (groans)
Image

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 02:46pm

"Everyone had their hand in it. It's been passed around the office. So yeah, it's quite dirty."
- A work conversation about code
Image

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6460
Joined: 2007-09-14 11:46pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Kanastrous » 2012-10-09 02:59pm

Long as it's not a conversation about a co-worker.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 03:14pm

Kanastrous wrote:Long as it's not a conversation about a co-worker.


Thankfully, I work in a place where its level of professionalism makes a similarly worded conversation about a co-worker extremely rare.
Image

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6460
Joined: 2007-09-14 11:46pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Kanastrous » 2012-10-09 03:19pm

Your workplace clearly operates at a higher level of professionalism, than does mine.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10286
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby salm » 2012-10-09 04:04pm

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Kanastrous wrote:Long as it's not a conversation about a co-worker.


Thankfully, I work in a place where its level of professionalism makes a similarly worded conversation about a co-worker extremely rare.


You make it sound like you think that´s a good thing? :?

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 05:54pm

salm wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Kanastrous wrote:Long as it's not a conversation about a co-worker.


Thankfully, I work in a place where its level of professionalism makes a similarly worded conversation about a co-worker extremely rare.


You make it sound like you think that´s a good thing? :?


Uh, yes, that's a very good thing. I don't know why you would think otherwise.
Image

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6460
Joined: 2007-09-14 11:46pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Kanastrous » 2012-10-09 06:08pm

That's a little too much professionalism for me personally. YMMV.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011

User avatar
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover
Posts: 7942
Joined: 2002-07-07 03:04am
Location: Wasting time instead of money
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Ace Pace » 2012-10-09 06:31pm

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
salm wrote:
Uh, yes, that's a very good thing. I don't know why you would think otherwise.


I don't see why some level of immature comments (or even a high level of such comments) says anything good or bad about the quality of the people. I'd far prefer to be able to throw a random "Fuck You!" or an elaborate joke involving someones mother rather than walk around on tiptoes and avoid offending people.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10286
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby salm » 2012-10-09 07:12pm

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
salm wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Thankfully, I work in a place where its level of professionalism makes a similarly worded conversation about a co-worker extremely rare.


You make it sound like you think that´s a good thing? :?


Uh, yes, that's a very good thing. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

Today I had a conversation at work about running around spraying cum all over a TV production set. It was funny.

Perhaps the place you work at has a collective pole up it´s ass. :)

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 07:15pm

Ace Pace wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
salm wrote:
Uh, yes, that's a very good thing. I don't know why you would think otherwise.


I don't see why some level of immature comments (or even a high level of such comments) says anything good or bad about the quality of the people. I'd far prefer to be able to throw a random "Fuck You!" or an elaborate joke involving someones mother rather than walk around on tiptoes and avoid offending people.


A workplace's professionalism isn't defined by the sort of language a person uses. It's defined by the conduct of individuals. There's nothing wrong with a "Fuck you!" jokingly thrown around my work place. But there's plenty wrong with someone spreading gossip of a coworker sleeping around the office. The latter is very unprofessional and I would not want to work in an environment where that is the norm rather than the exception.
Image

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 07:17pm

salm wrote:Perhaps the place you work at has a collective pole up it´s ass. :)


No, I think you're just confusing unprofessionalism with being funny.
Image

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10286
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby salm » 2012-10-09 07:18pm

The original comment that led to this discussion leaves it completely open if it´s about spreading hurtful gossip or about harmless stupid talk.

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 07:24pm

salm wrote:The original comment that led to this discussion leaves it completely open if it´s about spreading hurtful gossip or about harmless stupid talk.


I responded to Kanastrous' comment that it's fine as long as it wasn't about a coworker. There are only very few circumstances where that's really acceptable in a professional work environment. A comment like that, even jokingly, can be construed the wrong way and can be grounds for work harassment under California state employment laws. Yes, it's a good thing that comments like that about coworkers is very rare.
Image

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10286
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby salm » 2012-10-09 07:30pm

Which circumstances would that be?

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6460
Joined: 2007-09-14 11:46pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Kanastrous » 2012-10-09 07:32pm

We get that State-of-CA harassment seminar noise every six months or so, depending upon the studio.

Then we go back to our offices, or to stage, and see how many directives we can violate by day's end. Of course, we're all friends here.

Unprofessional, perhaps, but we get the show done and we have our fun doing it.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 07:45pm

Kanastrous wrote:We get that State-of-CA harassment seminar noise every six months or so, depending upon the studio.

Then we go back to our offices, or to stage, and see how many directives we can violate by day's end. Of course, we're all friends here.

Unprofessional, perhaps, but we get the show done and we have our fun doing it.


I don't know which directives you violate but if safety or comfortable workplace environment is compromised, then that's not good at all. Saying someone's slept around the office can produce a hostile work environment even if the person you're talking about welcomes it in the situation where there's a third person who doesn't feel comfortable about it. Basically, CA harassment laws requires that you use common sense but I don't know anybody (including myself) who would liked to be commonly described as the office slut in the workplace. Being called a slut only happens between among very close friends outside of work and never among co-workers.
Image

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10286
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby salm » 2012-10-09 07:52pm

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:Being called a slut only happens between among very close friends outside of work and never among co-workers.

That´s quite a generalizing statement.
Yesterday I was told that i most likely have sex with a co-worker. He´s married with children and I´m in a happy relationship with my girlfriend for years.
It was rather funny.

User avatar
Questor
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1600
Joined: 2002-07-17 06:27pm
Location: Landover
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Questor » 2012-10-09 07:55pm

Hilariously, Pinto, you've actually managed to miss the entire point of those "perception of a third party" rules. The original comment would have violated them not matter what the context if your workplace is as strict as you are implying, and you know it because you felt the need to clarify the context.

Random person in the hall might not know the context, hear the comment, and still have a "hostile work environment" created, so please climb down off that soapbox.

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 08:23pm

Questor wrote:Hilariously, Pinto, you've actually managed to miss the entire point of those "perception of a third party" rules. The original comment would have violated them not matter what the context if your workplace is as strict as you are implying, and you know it because you felt the need to clarify the context.

Random person in the hall might not know the context, hear the comment, and still have a "hostile work environment" created, so please climb down off that soapbox.


Uh, huh. Wow, you totally missed my point of this entire conversation. :roll: This isn't a discussion about what comments can technically contribute to a hostile work environment. It was about workplace professionalism, which includes using common sense when making statements that can potentially be construed as harassment. My original comment was said in a situation where it was acceptable, everyone in the room understood its context and it was funny. As I mentioned earlier, there are only a few circumstances where that comment could be applied to a person and still remain within a professional workspace and really, that's only if it's between very close friends. I understand some people work with their best friends but I don't and most people don't either.
Image

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 08:30pm

salm wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:Being called a slut only happens between among very close friends outside of work and never among co-workers.

That´s quite a generalizing statement.
Yesterday I was told that i most likely have sex with a co-worker. He´s married with children and I´m in a happy relationship with my girlfriend for years.
It was rather funny.


Yeah.... there's a huge difference between that and saying you just slept around with everybody in the office.
Image

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10286
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby salm » 2012-10-09 08:32pm

Where´s the huge difference?

User avatar
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2004-12-14 01:40am
Location: The City of Angels
Contact:

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby Pint0 Xtreme » 2012-10-09 08:36pm

salm wrote:Where´s the huge difference?


Uh, isn't the former a joke about your character and the latter borderline malicious gossip?
Image

User avatar
salm
Rabid Monkey
Posts: 10286
Joined: 2002-09-09 08:25pm

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Postby salm » 2012-10-09 08:37pm

Both can be both. It depends entirely on context.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest