Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by PeZook »

Oh god...

"And here is a toilet bowl that could fund two elementary schools! We are so progressive!"

:D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Two good ones today, both new births.

The first, I have to call the hospital to verify that the father's date of birth was correct... and yes, the father's actually that old. The mom is 28yrs old, and the nurse remembered them because of his age and how loving the couple behaved. The 74yr old was 'pleased as punch' to hold his baby boy.
So. Yes. Baby has a 74yr old DADDY. My mind is still trying NOT to think about how that happened.

The next child is another one cursed with a bad name by loving parents. They named him Dryve Ray (lastname).
Say it aloud. Drive Way. *sigh* Why do they do this to kids?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Not my work, and Not really a conversation...

Found out my friend (works as a civil engineer) has to change his work computer password every 10 days.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

spaceviking wrote:Not my work, and Not really a conversation...

Found out my friend (works as a civil engineer) has to change his work computer password every 10 days.
That wouldn't be unusual if he's handling confidential information; when I was working in a call-centre we had to change ours weekly because we were often handling payments, which meant logging credit card numbers.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

He said the company is a mess of forgotten passwords though.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Zaune wrote:

That wouldn't be unusual if he's handling confidential information; when I was working in a call-centre we had to change ours weekly because we were often handling payments, which meant logging credit card numbers.
Goes against every single good practice possible. A strong password is far better than a password you change weekly then memorize.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Iron Bridge
Youngling

Post by Iron Bridge »

Or write down because memorising a new password every week is too awkward.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Ace Pace wrote:Goes against every single good practice possible. A strong password is far better than a password you change weekly then memorize.
I dare say you're right, and I wish it was the most annoying thing about the computer system I had to work with at that place. But the last time I vented about my call-centre experience it ended up derailing the thread completely and getting split off, so I'm going to shut up now.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Ace Pace wrote:
Zaune wrote:

Goes against every single good practice possible. A strong password is far better than a password you change weekly then memorize.
Especially since most people still use the same password, they just add a counter to the end...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

LaCroix wrote: Especially since most people still use the same password, they just add a counter to the end...
Hey, still better than using the office's address as the bank password for multi-million dollar corporate accounts. Yes, that actually happened, and yes, I complained, and no, nobody listened.

Just do what my current company does, and issue everyone a secure USB stick. No stick+password=no access.

In other news:

Boss: I'm wiring money to your account. Get yourself a Macbook for work.
Me (inwardly): Fuck this, I don't want a fucking Mac.

What the fuck do I do with a Mac? I already have computers at home and at the office. And Macs are really shitty for office work, too.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

that happened to me a fortnight ago. still seething.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

madd0ct0r wrote:that happened to me a fortnight ago. still seething.
Yeah. Anyways, this is what I got:

Apple®-MacBook® Pro with Retina Display -
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)
2011 Microsoft Office Home and Business

For myself and co-worker, who apparently, has his broken and needs a computer RIGHT FUCKING NOW. Now, I have to run to the store to pick it up, then install software on it, and hand it over. Oh well, at least I get a free computer out of it, even if it's a Mac.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on 2013-01-07 01:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Buy an Asus and a Mac sticker :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Format the drive and install windows/linux/ubuntu/*yourchoice* on it, just to spite your boss :)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

LaCroix wrote:Format the drive and install windows/linux/ubuntu/*yourchoice* on it, just to spite your boss :)
I will probably dual boot Windows on it, indeed. But why in the world would I want to "spite" a guy who puts me in 5-star hotels, invites me to thousand-dollar dinners and gives me free laptops?

EDIT: P.S. My coworker is a moron. But he is a moron with a shiny new Macbook Pro. That is all.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

"But he is a moron with a shiny new Macbook Pro." I can't speak for anybody else but in my line of work it's remarkable how frequently those two things are encountered together.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

litteriarhy worker: Colin they are making a new Great Gatsby Movie
Me: yeah, I wish they would give some love and kudos to Fitzgearld's wife Zelda they said she wrote some sort of great novel too around the same time.
Other co-worker: A Zelda movie, all video game movies SUCK.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

6:30am at my job:

One Of My Best Customers: Matty! Matty! Are you working!?
Your Driver: Hey, what's up?
OOMBC: I shit my pants! I shit my pants at [illegal after-hours bar]! You've gotta help me! I can't go outside, I'm holding!
YD: Well, fuck. It's gonna take me at least 15 minutes...
OOMBC: I don't care, you gotta get me out of here! And then back here, I'm not done yet tonight...
YD: Uh. Are you sure that's a good idea?
OOMBC: I'll explain when you get here, just pull up in the alley!
YD: Okay.
OOMBC: And I don't have any cash right now!
YD [sigh] Okay...

[15 minutes pass...]

OOMBC: [climbs out window in alley wearing a t-shirt and an entire roll of toilet paper as a loincloth]
YD: [facepalm]

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Representing someone a few days ago
Big Boss: we need to go out and capture every guest we can
Shop Steward: Have you considered tranquiler darts.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

During a discussion about second degree obligations (my mentioning my lab head as a possible "mentor"/donor for my masters application)
Her: "...[Why the uni requests that professors agree to obligations for students registering for masters degrees] - Words are wind".
Me:...."" (<3)

:S
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Any time one has a phone conversation with anyone on the studio lot here, they always end with "Have a magical day!"

Increasingly all I can think is yeah, I would be, if not for your goddamn narcotics policy.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

One Of My Best Customers: Y'know, I'm not like you. You're just out here, livin' the dream with your Johnny-Johnny and your whatever. You know what I mean?

Your Driver: You are hammered.

OOMBC: Yeah.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Co-worker 1: Gold was special. With gold not being automated, you could test old schema's, but now that it's automated with production you can't. We need an old gold.
Co-worker 2: Mold?
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Raw Shark wrote:6:30am at my job:

One Of My Best Customers: Matty! Matty! Are you working!?
Your Driver: Hey, what's up?
OOMBC: I shit my pants! I shit my pants at [illegal after-hours bar]! You've gotta help me! I can't go outside, I'm holding!
YD: Well, fuck. It's gonna take me at least 15 minutes...
OOMBC: I don't care, you gotta get me out of here! And then back here, I'm not done yet tonight...
YD: Uh. Are you sure that's a good idea?
OOMBC: I'll explain when you get here, just pull up in the alley!
YD: Okay.
OOMBC: And I don't have any cash right now!
YD [sigh] Okay...

[15 minutes pass...]

OOMBC: [climbs out window in alley wearing a t-shirt and an entire roll of toilet paper as a loincloth]
YD: [facepalm]
I think I now understand why Mel is so adamant about maintaining professional detachment from her passengers.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The good news is that our company has leased a private 18-person box with full bar at the local sporting arena. The bad news is that it's in fucking Zug.

Behold! A most productive use of 120 grand indeed

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin