Two weeks in Edinburgh: Suggestions required.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Two weeks in Edinburgh: Suggestions required.

Post by Dartzap »

For the summer hols this year, the Darty Farty family will be zooming off to the tropical paradise of Edinburgh. We already have accommodation,just a hop, skip and a jump from the Royal Mile and are already planning far ranging trips out of the city (We did a similar thing in Inverness with fairly good results) and I, being a strange fellow, though it would be a nice idea to ask some of our resident Scots what thrilling things can be seen within the boundaries and further afield? We will use trains, buses boats and even camels if needed, due to the fact timetables do not put the fear in us.

Oh and we want the decent stuff, none of that stuff you flogg the Americans for triple its worth :P

(PS: Flybe flight to Edinburgh from Exeter: around 50 quid. GWR/Xcountry journey: 300 quid. Per person....let me think about that.......)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Re: Two weeks in Edinburgh: Suggestions required.

Post by The Guid »

When exactly will you be there? i am assuming you miss the Edinburgh festival?
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The Guid wrote:When exactly will you be there? i am assuming you miss the Edinburgh festival?

Middle of July, I think. Not sure when the festival is on.

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Personally, I've always been interested in visiting remote, out-of-the-way, places, the so-called "end of the road." Maybe a trip to the Hebrides or the Orkney Islands would be interesting?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Alferd Packer wrote:Personally, I've always been interested in visiting remote, out-of-the-way, places, the so-called "end of the road." Maybe a trip to the Hebrides or the Orkney Islands would be interesting?
Did that last year. Thurso and Wick (Five hour train journey!) Two of the dullest places known to mankind..... :) The best place we found in the Highlands was Ullapool, sadly we didnt get to the Summer isles because of a lack of time.

Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

My sister lives in Edinburgh, so I've had the chance to visit a few times. Some points of interest:

1. The Royal Society of Surgeon's Museum. Weird and wicked cool; highly recommended. A number of it's specimens were first brought in by the famed grave robbers Burke and Hare; which brings me to:

2. Burke and Hare's- I don't know if this is something you'd see on a family trip, or at all up your alley, but the Edinburgh red light district is worth a visit, if you are in to that sort of thing. It's the most gentile, pleasant little red light district I've seen and all the clubs could be easily mistaken for used bookstores when viewed from the outside. Highly recommended, if you have been underexposed to nude Scotswomen.

3. The Edinburgh Zoo: A very nice zoo. That's pretty much it. Former home of the famous Polish Army bear, a bear trained to move crates of ammunition, who drank beers and ate cigarettes. The memorial to said bear, Voytek, is worth the trip alone.

4. Any place which sells deep-fried pizzas. You'll almost certainly hate them (they are inedible unless you are high, drunk, or insane,) but it's an experience quite unlike anything you'd care to imagine.

5. That haggis and neeps stand on the Royal Mile: There are little stands which sell haggis and turnip mash in little paper bowls. Delicious!

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Dartzap wrote:Did that last year. Thurso and Wick (Five hour train journey!) Two of the dullest places known to mankind..... :) The best place we found in the Highlands was Ullapool, sadly we didnt get to the Summer isles because of a lack of time.
Heh, fair enough. :D I'm sure that, as an American, I would find more things interesting in northern Scotland than someone who was from the southern half of the same island, just by having a greater lack of familiarity with British Isles as a whole. Though, I hear the beaches on North Uist are incredibly beautiful and very sparsely travelled, due to their remote location, but that's still quite a trip from Edinburgh.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'm sure that, as an American, I would find more things interesting in northern Scotland than someone who was from the southern half of the same island, just by having a greater lack of familiarity with British Isles as a whole.
You are indeed quite correct. Whilst not quite as....mountainous down here, it can be quite a stunning places to live, especially in the summer and often when we get a decent storm as well, so I often have to look for places that don't rely on the looks to impress, and go hunting for other interesting things, like the local industrial history museum and other similar attractions.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

As I've lived in Edinburgh for 2 years I feel I should speak up.

I'd second the suggestion of the Surgeons museum (one of the exhibits is parts of Burke and Hare, after there execution their bodies were legally sold to the towns surgeons) and the Zoo (stay for the penguins parade).

The Botanical guardens are also good weather permitting.

The museum is great as well although its really about 3 museums in one (Natural History, History of Scotland, Anthropology) and you need more than a single day to see all of it. I wouldn't recomend the dynamic earth museum it tries to be a fairground built into a museum and doesn't manage either.

I didn't think much of the castle myself but its probably something you have to go and do just to say you were there. Theres also the camera obscura and museum of optical illusions right next to it. The Royal Mile itself if really just full of tourist traps but some of the tours show you parts of the old town behind the shops. The art gallaries also an idea although it depends what they are showing at the time.

The Scottish Parlements also something to see, the building itself's an eyesore but you can book to sit in on the Parlement itself or some of the commite meetings. The Queens house next door is also quite nice assuming shes not in at the time your there.

If you or any of your family are interested in Role Play I've got to plug the Edinburgh Open Role Play Community (ORC) which meets in Cafe Nero on Rose's street (Behind princes street) each Saturday Afternoon.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Edinburgh Dungeon is fun if you need to kill a few hours. The only other things we visited were the castle (definitely worth it even if you're paying through the nose) and the National Gallery.

Why not catch a train to Glasgow when you're there anyway :D
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Will you have a car while you're up there? l know if l had two weeks to spend in Scotland, l'd want to take a road trip for at least a day out into some of the beautiful countryside they have up there. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Zaia wrote:Will you have a car while you're up there? l know if l had two weeks to spend in Scotland, l'd want to take a road trip for at least a day out into some of the beautiful countryside they have up there. :D
Sadly not. That's staying at the airport :) However, I tend to find the best way to see the countryside is from the top deck of a double decker bus. :D

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Dartzap wrote:
Zaia wrote:Will you have a car while you're up there? l know if l had two weeks to spend in Scotland, l'd want to take a road trip for at least a day out into some of the beautiful countryside they have up there. :D
Sadly not. That's staying at the airport :) However, I tend to find the best way to see the countryside is from the top deck of a double decker bus. :D
Bah, you suck. :P They probably do some bus trips out to the country, but then you'd have to go with a bunch of pensioners who'd ask you to take their photos or something and you wouldn't get the real feel of being out in the big open countryside because you'd have lots of old people tottering around beside you getting in your way and crowding you and stuff.

Hmm. Maybe you should just hang with your car at the airport the whole time then? 8)
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Hmm. Maybe you should just hang with your car at the airport the whole time then? 8)
Pffft, I live in God's Waiting Room as it is. Delinquent old grannies with their free bus passes will never stop me!

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Dartzap wrote:
Pffft, I live in God's Waiting Room as it is. Delinquent old grannies with their free bus passes will never stop me!
So it'll be home away from home then? Hahah, awesome, have a great time! :P ;)
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Edinburgh itself is very bus friendly day tickets for £2.50 give you access to all routes within the city, most routes have frequent services and their are (admittedly less frequent and more expensive) night busses on the main routes.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Visit Glasgow instead. :)

Nah, seriously, I second Bedlam's suggestion of the Penguin Parade at the zoo. It's the cutest thng ever. :D. The only thing is, Edinburgh Zoo is miles away from anywhere down Corstorphine Road. The view from up the top of the hill is impressive, though, if the weather's good. We went down to Portobello Beach once, too - again, if the weather's nice, it's a decent afternoon out. Mind you, I do quite like a walk down the beach in light drizzle, too, if I can get an ice cream.

The park round Arthur's Seat looks pretty nice, and a good way to waste a day (I've never found the time to actually go in it, right enough), especially if you feel like climbing to the top.

There's also the National Museum of Flight, complete with Concorde, if you like that sort of thing.

Looks like you'll miss the Festival - it's mid August - September.

Also, bear in mind that large bits of Edinburgh are being dug up so they can put in a tram line, for some bizarre reason. Not sure on the exact details, but Prince's Street might be a building site.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"