I has KITTENS and I need helps

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

I has KITTENS and I need helps

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Last time I found a sick kittens and asked for helps, but then I just placed the kitten back where I found it.

But today, on the eve of her birfdays, mein sister unexpectedly brought two KITTENS to the house and now we are at a loss with what to do. So far we've bathed them, fed them with powdered milk dropped by a syringe, and placed them in a laundry basket lined with newspapers.

The kittens are so:

I need halps.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lusankya
ChiCom

Re: I has KITTENS and I need helps

Post by Lusankya »

Ok:

First, cats are often lactose intolerant, so try to find lactose-free milk to feed them with, unless you like kitten diaorhhea. In Australia you can also buy special kitten-milk at the supermarket, which would probably be better. See if you can find that. At some stage they'll start wanting solid food. I'm not sure when, but if you just try giving them mince meat or something every day, then they'll start eating when they're bigger. They'll probably want to eat a fair few times a day. They look TINIER than kittens that are supposed to be away from their mothers are, so they'll probably need a bit of care.

Secondly, the basket is probably ok for now, since they're probably not big enough to climb out, but when they get bigger, you'll want to give them a kitty litter tray. You'll need something they can dig in so they can bury their poos. Put them next to the tray after they eat, so they know it's for their poos. They're only TINY, though, so you should be aware that they'll make mistakes. Try to keep your clothes and cushions out of kitten reach. You don't want to find poo poos in there. When they get older, you can start letting them outside, and they'll be happy to do their poos out there, as long as they can get out. It's also possible to train them to use the real toilet if you so desire.

Thirdly, if you like your furniture, then you should get a scratching post when the kittens are older. Cats have strange ideas about redecorating, and they don't always match human ideas.

I'd tell you to keep them warm, but you're int he Philippines, so that's not a real problem. They might like something cosy to curl up in when they're older.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

If I were you, I'd bring them to a vet to check them out. They look very malnourished.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:If I were you, I'd bring them to a vet to check them out. They look very malnourished.
Seconded, they look very thin. Besides the malnurishment you'll want to get them checked for all the annoying parasites that come with finding a stray or an outdoor cat.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

My sister found the kittens in the parking lot. Would that explain why they are so TINY?

What if a vet is not available this week or something?

Since we don't know one and have to find one.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:My sister found the kittens in the parking lot. Would that explain why they are so TINY?
Most likely, they were probably abandoned by mom or she died. Or someone fired them out of their car.
What if a vet is not available this week or something?
Then all you can do is keep them fed, warm and safe.
Since we don't know one and have to find one.
I assume you have phone books in the Phillipines, look in your Yellow Pages equivilant.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom, you are a nurse. Don't anyone in the hospital you work in know where to find a vet?
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'm a student nuers. And my mam says that we're not shelling out moneys for a mangy little kittens.

The kittens aren't as thin as the picture makes them out to be. That's just an unflattering angle. They actually look... just like normal unfamished kittens!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

My famile has taken in a few strays over the years, and yeah, that cat doesn't look really bad-off - most little kittens are like that when they're super-young, and even old ones are like that under all the fur.

First, getting kitty litter is pretty essential. Do that soon.

Second, if you can like... Close off a room, or a basement, or whatever, put your kittens there. Kitties need places to run around and hide and stuff, and they like to eat, sleep and poop in different places, so some space is needed.

Cats can eat solid food pretty quickly, so maybe go with what Lus said. Tuna, mincemeat, the icky moist catfood - that all works.

And yes, find milk of a kind that kitties will accept. That is huge important with tiny kitties. Most baby-kitties aren't as lactose-intolerant as they grow up to be, so you might be okay without special milkz (and older kitties are fine with water).

Aside from that? Keep an eye on them, make sure they don't have any wounds or sores, pay attention to them (very important if you want them to be affectionate kitties who are okay with being manhandled into adulthood), usual precautions.

And yeah, a vet would be a good idea, but if you can't find one, cats are pretty hardy animals even when they are babbies, so you're probably okay without one.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

You need to post pictures of the kittens in AMP!
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

And put captions on them!

In other news, they can eat meats! They ate so MANY of the TINY meats!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

If they've been strays or feral, a vet at some point is a priority - my friend took in strays from a shelter, very young kitten, turned out it had aids, apparently rife in the feral cat population, and the poor thing died within the month.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Feline AIDS and Feline Leukemia both get spread through the feral population, and both are death sentences for the cat.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

I can't tell from the picture, but what are their fur coats like? Are they kinda patchy, falling out, thin, or pretty decent, all things considered? If their fur is okay, it probably means that they're mostly healthy. Still something to check out, but hopefully you won't have to go to extreme measures for them.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

If their skin is okay and their fur is only dirty, then check for worms. They may account for the poor physique, among other things. Adult feral cats are supreme hunters and can scavenge, but kittens without a mother will be vulnerable, so it's more than likely they've just been underfed for a while.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How often do I have to feed them and how often must they be rehydrated? I just fed one of them agains but the other one didn't want to eat. They are not really thirsty, since they don't want to drink from that syringe of water/milk I give em (initially they drank much, but now not so much... maybe they're full?).

Erm, I tried to force em to drink a littles.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Many critters tolerate goat milk better than cow milk - I don't know how available goat milk is in your area, but it's something to keep in mind.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Umbras
Youngling

Post by Umbras »

Feed them salmon not tuna, salmon has fat and is healthier than tuna diet wise. You also do not want to over feed them, give small portions every 3 hours or so, if you feed them solid food go no larger than a teaspoon size portion, other wise they will over eat and throw it all up. As for water just leave a small dish out and they will drink when they are thirsty.

You will have to decide what you wish to do in reguards to taking them to a vet, if you are not going to keep them ask a local vet where a good place to take them so they have a chance at adoption. If the vet oesnt have any ideas try for a local humane society or spca, dont take them to a Peta shelter as they will most likley end up getting put down.
"Forgiveness is between them and god, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
Sute
Youngling

Post by Sute »

My family took in five kittens last year after their mother (a stray) died.

Until they get to the point where they'll drink from a bowl you leave with them, you should give them milk every 3-4 hours during the day. If the place you keep them is large enough, you might want to leave them a bowl of milk or water with them overnight, but that isn't necessary. From the picture, I'd estimate an age of 3-4 weeks. Kittens should drink milk for at least six weeks, but since you say they're already eating meat, they might be older than my estimate.

If you're going the kitten formula route, I recommend getting the powdered version that you mix yourself. It's much cheaper.
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

Special note for when you feed the kittens: Ensure that you feed them food which has taurine. Otherwise, they go blind, because cats cannot produce taurine by themselves, and it's needed for their retinas.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Umbras wrote:Feed them salmon not tuna, salmon has fat and is healthier than tuna diet wise. You also do not want to over feed them, give small portions every 3 hours or so, if you feed them solid food go no larger than a teaspoon size portion, other wise they will over eat and throw it all up. As for water just leave a small dish out and they will drink when they are thirsty.
I think Salmon is kinda hard to get in the Philippines.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What kind of foods has taurine?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Red Bull.

I recommend that you feed the kittens something else, though.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How about chickens?

Man, this totally sucks. I can't take cares of them since I'm going to the hostipals to works, so I has to leave them with the maids.

Mang.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How about chickens?

Man, this totally sucks. I can't take cares of them since I'm going to the hostipals to works, so I has to leave them with the maids.

Mang.
Shroom, I seriously think you should go find a vet or something to give you advice based on the current health state of the kittens.
Kreia