High school algebra/geometry
17%
Trigonometry
13%
Differential calculus
11%
Integral calculus
22%
Partial degree that makes use of math (detail in post)
10%
Degree in engineering (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in science (detail math experience in post)
8%
Degree in math (detail math experience in post)
8%
Terminal degree and research (detail research area/experience in post)
2%

Total votes: 156

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Just how much math have you learned?

Post by Surlethe »

What the title says. The "Am I stupid?" thread and Olrik's follow-ups made me wonder: just how much math has everyone here had? The categories are above, so vote!

I myself am currently in the midst of completing a degree in math and physics (and economics, but so far it doesn't count in terms of math experience). I've taken group theory, analysis, topology, differential geometry, linear algebra, discrete math, differential equations, as well as multivariable and single-variable calculus. I have yet to take partial differential equations, boundary values, and measure theory. The physics classes I'm taking or have taken make heavy use of multivariable calculus, differential equations, and some linear algebra.

The economics class is so far full of people who seem to have difficulty with simple linear equations. Differentiating was mentioned. Once.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
erik_t
Jedi Master

Re: Just how much math have you learned?

Post by erik_t »

At the moment, I have a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering. I have taken elementary linear algebra, multivariable calculus, ordinary differential equations, and a class on groups/rings/fields and their application to coding. I have considerable non-math-class experience in PDEs and numerical methods (whether or not the latter is really "math" is left to the reader). I may be taking a formal PDE course in the future.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Graduate-level studies in Computer Science (I selected Engineering as my poll option). I have taken elementary linear algebra, statistics, multivariable (and single-variable) calculus, ordinary differential equations, probability, discrete mathematics and automata theory. I have also taken formal analysis of algorithms courses, but I am unsure if that is really "maths."
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Oh yeah. Throw in a prob&stat course too.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

B.Sc in CompSci. Same as phongn except I didn't have multivariable calculus and automata theory.

But since I became a government freeloader I've pretty much forgotten everything harder than basic high school calculus.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

B.Sc. in Mathematics and a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering.

The highest useful math that I've had would be Diff. Eq. 2, though the highest math that I've had is Advanced Analysis which was an introduction to theoretical calculus, delta-epsilon proofs and so forth.

Edit: Chose not to vote since I need two options...
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Got a bachelor's in physics. So naturally, I've taken linear algebra, ODE, PDE, Multi & Single Variable Calculus, and Mathematical Methods. What I can remember and am currently able to do off the top of my head is questionable. :?
Magus
Padawan Learner

Post by Magus »

My highest formal mathematics training was through Calc AB in high school. Since then, I've had to pick up a few principles here and there for programming, and the only things I've really remembered from Calc have been the common applications sort of stuff - basically anything used in physics.
"As James ascended the spiral staircase towards the tower in a futile attempt to escape his tormentors, he pondered the irony of being cornered in a circular room."
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The Spartan wrote:Edit: Chose not to vote since I need two options...
I'd vote "math degree", but whichever you feel like is fine for what I'm looking for.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Surlethe wrote:
The Spartan wrote:Edit: Chose not to vote since I need two options...
I'd vote "math degree", but whichever you feel like is fine for what I'm looking for.
Fair enough. Done.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:B.Sc in CompSci. Same as phongn except I didn't have multivariable calculus and automata theory.
I thought you were an EE?
Magus wrote:My highest formal mathematics training was through Calc AB in high school. Since then, I've had to pick up a few principles here and there for programming, and the only things I've really remembered from Calc have been the common applications sort of stuff - basically anything used in physics.
Calc AB ~= Calculus I = differential calculus. If you're serious about developing software, though, I'd suggest you take some probability and linear algebra if you can.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

phongn wrote:I thought you were an EE?
Nope, I just specialized into hardware design so there is a fair bit of overlap with EE.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Just the basic 1st year university stuff, linear algebra, stats, calc I, and a watered down version of calc II in second year. I believe we got to the basics of integration & differentiation by parts.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I got my prereqs for engineering completed before I started my BA, so up to integral calculus. But with luck, and cash, there will be mathematics in my future sooner rather than later.
Darth Mordius
Youngling

Post by Darth Mordius »

In my second year of a B.Sc. in Physics so multivariable calculus, ODE etc.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I said I have a partial degree that uses math. I think I formally took through Differential Equations, and then took multiple stat and econometrics courses for my Econ degree. I'm not sure if those qualify as "math" in the sense of this poll.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

aerius wrote:
phongn wrote:I thought you were an EE?
Nope, I just specialized into hardware design so there is a fair bit of overlap with EE.
Essentially a computer engineer, then? That makes me wonder what your curriculum ended up being - I pretty much proceeded down the software path, especially in image/video processing.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

No, Statistics and Econometrics, which I also took, do not qualify as math in this poll I guess. We had courses in linear algebra, differential calculus and integral calculus courses. Thus I put integral calculus as top. The use of math is too "partial" in either statistics or econometrics to be seriously considered as grounds for choosing "partial degree that makes use of math".
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Surlethe wrote:The economics class is so far full of people who seem to have difficulty with simple linear equations. Differentiating was mentioned. Once.
What econ class is that? Is it like an intro to principles course, because Economists have basically used Calculus extensively since Ricardo. :wtf:
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Trigonometry. Well, it was part of the course (Grade 11 Principles of Math). But I had to barely scrape by in summer school. :oops:

I don't think it was so much out of lack of ability, though, as it was out of laziness and disorganization. I would do fine on tests if I bothered to study.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on 2008-11-17 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Intergal Algebra when I was in Junior College, although I have mostly forgotten what I have learned one year ago.

Yes, I have a short term memory, blame me.

Got to refresh my memory soon I guess.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I did 3 years of calculus (multi and single variable) followed by one year each of differential equations and linear algebra as part of my year and a half studying Aerospace Engineering. Unfortunately for my dumb ass the last course I took was roughly a decade ago and I've not bothered in that time to try and refresh my memory. If you had to quiz me right now I'd be screwed by anything tougher than multivariable algebra or trigonometry. Its really a case of use it or lose it and I lost it sad to say.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dark Lord of the Bith
Youngling

Post by Dark Lord of the Bith »

I'm currently working on a B.A. in Mathematics with a minor in Biomathematics, and I intend to go for a Ph.D. I've taken Differential, Integral, and Multivariate Calculus, Elementary Linear Algebra, Probability & Statistics, General Topology, Ordinary Differential Equations, and I'm currently taking Real Analysis and Set Theory, with Number Theory and Real Analysis II next semester.

I've also taken a few physics classes, covering topics through special relativity and quantum mechanics.

I do undergraduate biomath research, which recently has involved work with chaos and fractals.
Urgo: I want to live! I want to experience the universe! I want to eat pie!
Col O'Neill: Who doesn't?
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

While I was in engineering, I did Calc I-III (Calc II included Linear Algebra) and Differential Equations. When I switched to Biology I also took a probability & statistics course (and also since I only needed Calc I and II for Bio Calc III and DiffEQs became Bio elective credits for me).
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Advanced High School Mathematics. (Equivalent to an English A level). Trigonometry,Differentials, Integrals. (At least I remember solving equations with those names being bandied around, I've managed to forget just about everything since then).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.