General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LaCroix » 2019-03-24 06:36pm

When people pay you to be somewhere, they usually want you to do work... Except to get some more titles to be bestowed upon you... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-03-24 11:02pm

LaCroix wrote:
2019-03-24 06:36pm
When people pay you to be somewhere, they usually want you to do work... Except to get some more titles to be bestowed upon you... :D
Right now, the only titles that are higher than what I have is Court Baroness and Order of the Pelican. I doubt I'm up for either one. LOL!
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Post by LaCroix » 2019-03-25 08:15am

LadyTevar wrote:
2019-03-24 11:02pm
LaCroix wrote:
2019-03-24 06:36pm
Right now, the only titles that are higher than what I have is Court Baroness and Order of the Pelican. I doubt I'm up for either one. LOL!
It could also be some additional lower titles, some of which come with extra workload... :D

There is promotion, and diversification of duties... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-03-25 08:56pm

LaCroix wrote:
2019-03-25 08:15am
It could also be some additional lower titles, some of which come with extra workload... :D

There is promotion, and diversification of duties... :D
I'm already Regional Deputy, which is a volunteer position. I've nto raised my hand for another position, so I think I'm safe there LOL!
Of course, since some fucktard stole my bankcard and what little money I had, I may not be traveling.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce » 2019-03-26 12:26am

Either that or Their (soon-to-be) Majesties really, really want to give you some award or recognition in their first court, which is a bit of a big deal. And thus want to make sure you're there to receive it.

So probably a good thing.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-03-26 11:08pm

RogueIce wrote:
2019-03-26 12:26am
Either that or Their (soon-to-be) Majesties really, really want to give you some award or recognition in their first court, which is a bit of a big deal. And thus want to make sure you're there to receive it.

I've known him a good 25yrs, so that's possible. Last time they gave me a Token of Appreciation for my years of hard work, then gave a Court Barony to one of the others down here who also worked his ass off.
The fun thing is Prince Gareth makes his own coronets to hand out.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-04-07 09:51pm

Well, I did not get called up into Court.

However, I did have a good friend get elevated to Court Baroness for her amazing skills at portraiture.

On the other hand, every male friend I ran into up there all gave me big strong, long hugs -- the kind that pulls your soul back into place. :luv:

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist » 2019-05-29 06:31pm

I've been feeling a little out of it in the SCA lately, but I day tripped to An Tir's May crown, and what a list field. It was open this year to out of kingdom participants. We had 88 fighters, 12 Dukes. Finals were Duke Morgan(Formerly of Atenveldt?) and Duke Sven(King of An Tir 5 ish times?) and Morgan went 5/1. Beautiful passes, talk about pain wizards.

I decided to ride the tide of inspiration and get some of my kit resolved. Decided to make a Muscleata out of hardened leather, and it came out better than I deserved. Really my kit is writing checks my prowess can't cash but it looks pretty good and doesn't weigh anything.
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-05-29 11:22pm

LadyTevar wrote:
2019-03-26 11:08pm
RogueIce wrote:
2019-03-26 12:26am

I've known him a good 25yrs, so that's possible. Last time they gave me a Token of Appreciation for my years of hard work, then gave a Court Barony to one of the others down here who also worked his ass off.
The fun thing is Prince Gareth makes his own coronets to hand out.
They did give me a second Award of Excellence this year. No scroll, but the Court Herald didn't know my full name, and asked me if I wanted to call myself into Court :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got asked if I'd be at the event THIS weekend to. Last event two of my friends got Court Baronies. Third time charm? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 » 2019-05-30 04:40pm

Speaking of Crown Tournaments, Sir Seto Gesshuko won the Midrealm Crown, the day after Duchess Kaylah the Cheerful became Princess by her own hand in Ealdormere (after beating up her husband in the semi-finals). It was a good weekend for thumbing the nose at the various... unsavory Crowns that have been making unwanted news the last year and a half.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-06-05 10:11pm

Rogue 9 wrote:
2019-05-30 04:40pm
Speaking of Crown Tournaments, Sir Seto Gesshuko won the Midrealm Crown, the day after Duchess Kaylah the Cheerful became Princess by her own hand in Ealdormere (after beating up her husband in the semi-finals). It was a good weekend for thumbing the nose at the various... unsavory Crowns that have been making unwanted news the last year and a half.
Æthelmearc is having Duke Timothy & Duchess Gabrielle as heirs. I think this is #8? They're Good People.

He's the one who runs Ædult Swim at Pennsic and again in February/March. More a giant mixed Fighter Practice than an event, but it's drawn Duke Sean from the West just to cross swords with folks. Last year we had Eldermereans, Atlantians, Caidans, Westoners, Trimarians, and of course Easterners and Midlers. Deep pool of combattants, from Knights/MODs to grant-levels, old-timers and new, all there to teach and test each other.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 » 2019-08-02 10:39am

I'm off to Pennsic, planning to arrive hopefully by late morning tomorrow. :grin:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-08-03 10:00pm

He made it. His lady posted selfie with Rogue in the background grinning like a fiend while holding up his Pennsic Site Token.

Bastard. I'm jealous. :(

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2019-08-11 11:19am

Well, Pennsic is over, and all have made their way home safely.
The Middle Kingdom (and Allies like Æthelmearc) won all but ONE War Point. Clean sweep, leaving the MidRealm once again ahead of the East in total Victories.

Closer to home, one good friend was given a Fleur d'Æthelmearc for his artwork and teaching (next reward would be a Peerage). Three gentles from my area were made Baron/ess of the Royal Court, for their hard work and support of the Crown (one gentle has been a Herald for over 40yrs). My sis-in-law was FINALLY given an award for her hard work, after I and many others had been sending messages about her for months.