General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by Rogue 9 »

Check out Sir William of Fairhaven's speech at 8:45 in the first video. Colin MacNish was his squire, and Sir William presented him with the sword he was knighted with during the ceremony when Their Majesties called for swords.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Between Sir William of Fairhaven's speech, and his gift of the typical "knight's sword", I'd almost think he was teling his fellow Chivalry they should have knighted this man 10yrs ago.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

LadyTevar wrote:Between Sir William of Fairhaven's speech, and his gift of the typical "knight's sword", I'd almost think he was teling his fellow Chivalry they should have knighted this man 10yrs ago.
Actually, he's telling them that the Order of Defense should have been made a sub-order of the Chivalry alongside the Knighthood and Masters of Arms and been done with it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Let anybody but stick-jocks have 'Sir' in front of their name? Surely you jest! :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I fully agree that the OoD should have been under Knigthhood, just like MoAs. It's just some Knights had their white belts in a knot over the mere idea that a "wire weinie" could be their Equal.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

PENNSIC PACKING PANIC BEGINS!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'll be at Pennsic on the middle Saturday around midday, camping with the Barony of Rivenstar on Battle Road.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

sarevok2
Youngling

Post by sarevok2 »

Can anyone describe the process for joining the SCA ? I am in Buffalo, New York.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ted C wrote:Ack! Don't use the K-word like that; the White Belts will go crazy again!
I am friends with several Dukes who were damn near ready to give up their belts over that --- they were so pissed at the whiny-ass ka-nig-hits throwing fits the Dukes wanted nothing else to do with them.

But I am very pleased to call one of the first Masters of Defense a friend.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And it's THAT TIME agian, when the new season of events starts rolling.

So far, I'm running a dessert contest at the local 12th Night (the 16th), possibly running up to Pittsburg for BMDL's Investiture in February (where I'll also be invested as MillRind Herald), and TWO events in March (Tourney of the White Hart and Donnan Party Beatings). Then comes Gulf War, (to retain for my Baron), and after that is Blackstone Raids where I'm the A&S in Charge.

Now, for those who are wondering: All of the events except GulfWars are in the Kingdom of Æthelmearc. The Tourney of the White Hart challenges heavy, fencers, and archers to win the title of Champion of the White Hart. The winners get nifty gifts, and the honor of coming back the next year as the Man-In-Charge of running the tourney. Always good food and fun.

Donnan Party Beatings is a Fencing-special event, based around the birthday beatings of Don Donnan (gaelic-gobbley-gook). Fencing classes, all the melee or single tourneys you can imagine, and good food.

Blackstone Raids is widely seen as the First Big Camping Event for our Kingdom. 4 days of everything that makes the SCA great, with multiple melee scenarios for the heavy/combat archery and fencing communities. Also, challenging archery and thrown weapons (even atlatl!) scenarios, and (hopefully) A&S classes. Camping is free, although you may experience everything from snow to sun to raging downpour in one weekend. Heated Cabins, if you apply early, as well as a on-site hotel. Blackstone usually draws from Midrealm, Atlantia, and the East as well as in-Kingdom.

SO --- what events are on the calendar for YOU?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

sarevok2 wrote:Can anyone describe the process for joining the SCA ? I am in Buffalo, New York.
http://www.sca.org/ First link under "Member Services." Also, here's the Newcomer's Portal: http://welcome.sca.org/
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote:
sarevok2 wrote:Can anyone describe the process for joining the SCA ? I am in Buffalo, New York.
http://www.sca.org/ First link under "Member Services." Also, here's the Newcomer's Portal: http://welcome.sca.org/
I did some checking, and Buffalo is part of the Barony of Rhydderich Hael, in the Kingdom of Æethelmearc, which means you're in the same Kingdom with me, just 8-10hrs away. :lol:

Kingdom of Æthelmearc website (PS: Æ is alt+146)
Rhydderich Hael website

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

IN OTHER NEWS:
Æthelmearc's Newest Regional Herald is Me. I was convinced to put my name in the ring, and then found out that I was one of the people the retiring Herald suggested as a replacement. With Count Master Master SIr Jehan de la Marche's personal blessing, of COURSE I was the right one for the job of Millrind Herald, responsible for all of Æthelmearc's Region One (aka WV).

I'll be responsible for training of baby heralds, and for gathering local quarterly reports for review and then summeraization for Kingdom. This is besides the normal duties of Court and Tourney Heraldry, and adding my commentary to the monthly review of heraldric submissions.

Gods I hope I didn't just bite off more than I can chew...

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Helmet camera footage of the Village Battle of Pennsic 44, at which there was much cheating and mid-battle rules changes. (To this day no one has been able to explain to me how a score of 3-0 is a tie.)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

And the rapier champions' melee.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

After nearly ten years as a Squire, my friend THL Marek Vigadrag will be elevated to Knighthood.

I just wish it wasn't going to be this weekend at Ice Dragon in Buffalo NY :(
11 hr drives are NOT FUN

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Remind me Never. EVER. Be the only person doing A&S Staffwork at a major event.

I have made 3 door signs, 3 copies of the class schedule, 5 table signs, and 6 prize scrolls. On top of that, I have calligraphed/illuminated 5 Award scrolls for the Baronial Order of the Onyx. Thank all the gods I did my 12 scroll blanks over the last 6 months -- I'd never have the hand-strength to do them now.

But, the biggest problem with being the Only Staff Member for A&S... I won't get to leave the A&S building AT ALL from 10a-4:30p. No shopping, no archery, no finding old friends to chat with... they will have to come to me.

Good thing I'm anal, and try to have all my shit together beforehand. I've been got all my garb already packed, and the event isn't til next Sat! I just need to make the syrup for the sekanjabin and get a supply of cheese n crackers to keep me going that day.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Note to Self: Never, Ever tease my brother and sis-in-law (the local Baron & Baroness) by saying "Yeah, I've already gotten all the Baronial Awards, you guys can't drag me up in Court this time".

Because they found a Baronial Award I didn't have. And gave it to me, in Court, in front of TRM of Æthelmearc, while saying "Years ago, you couldn't even draw a stick figure without it falling over. Now, you are the major source of scrolls for the Barony. So, remember you said there was no Baronial Awards we could give you, you had them all? You forgot the Baronial A&S Award. Btw: You know better than to tell us we can't do something, we'll always find a way."
Ok, that was paraphrase, but Ceridwen was right... when I met her in 6th Grade *she* was the Artist, and I was lucky to draw a straight line. Every Art I'm into is something she inspired me to try. Even if she did teasingly attempt to garrote me with the cord as she tied it on me LOL! Little witch, it was one of the very pendants *I* had made for the Award and just presented that day, too.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And now, my Pelican Mentor has volun-told me to start helping the Æthelmearc Signet with award scrolls. Just sent a award scroll to the head scribe to be handed out at the next court

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Duke Edmund won the Midrealm's Crown Tournament yesterday. It will be his fifth reign, ending his long-standing tie for second place with Duke Palymar (who also entered this Tournament, but sprained his ankle and consequently lost in the semi-finals). The final round was Edmund against Count Cellach; the two dragged a chessboard into the middle of the list field and played a game while waiting for their Majesties' pleasure to begin the final round.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue, do you know how far Ustad made it this time?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

He wasn't swept, but I don't think he made it to the quarterfinals. It was a sixteen man double elimination bracket, with each round best three of five. I'd have to check to see exactly how far he got.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*Whistles* You Midrealmers don't fuck around with Crown, do you? Now I understand why you have a two-day event for it!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The last Spring Crown I went to, they had twenty some odd combatants and had a pair of round robin pools first to whittle it down to sixteen to then have the double elim bracket. :razz: This is not the biggest one (though that one wasn't three out of five).
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ghetto edit: Ustad says he didn't do as well as he'd have liked and promises to do better.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!