OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

RogueIce
_______

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:I saw lots of Tuchux bullshit, but there's no escaping that.
I'll probably regret this, but...what is Tuchux? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to sully this thread.
They're fans of that other banned topic of the board, the Gor series. If you don't know a lot about it, they pass as a Conan-esque attempt at Germanic barbarians as long as you don't look too closely at the women. They were on the side of the battlefield closest to the castle where I was filming from, so my videos have lots of close-in shots of them in action if you care to look. There's lots of them, but they mostly keep to their own camp, so you only have to put up with their chanting and so forth when they're marching to the battlefield.
They sound like a group to avoid, then. Why does the SCA put up with them?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, I've been told that they discovered Cooper's Lake first and invited the SCA to hold Pennsic there (this from a gentleman who identified himself as the Aethelmearc kingdom historian, so hopefully he knows what he's on about), for starters. Apart from hitting like they're splitting wood and an above average number of complaints of rhino-hiding directed at them, they don't cause a lot of trouble, so the Coopers aren't going to kick them out, and they pay their site fees and follow the rules. But most SCAdians don't socialize with them, and they're happy with that situation by all accounts. Basically, it would kind of be wildly uncalled for to banish and R&D everyone in the group, so they show up to Pennsic and do what they do best, which is mount reckless massed charges at the nearest shield wall. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The 'Chux are one of the few things I think can bypass the Gor ban. In the novels, the Tuchux were a Mongolian warrior analog, mixed with the mysogynic views of women. The 'Chux took this idea and ran with it, with Warrior Dogs and servile collared women. Nowadays, the 'Chux are more like Bikers. Even their Women are tough. Either way, the Tuchux have always been mercenaries working for the side that paid them the best booze/food (Chocolate Chip Cookies are a bonus). However, their self-parody of barbarian warriors have made them the subject of many jokes.

How many Tuchux does it take to light a fire?
Tuchux don't use fire.

What's a long sentence for a Tuchux?
Woman, BEER!

While these jokes abound, the 'Chux are actually highly intelligent guys enjoying playing stupid. One No Shit story has one group of Dogs playing 'dodgeball' with a rock while outside camp. One gets hit hard enough to knock him out, and as the Chirurgeon watching this walks forward, he sees the other 'Chux dropping everything and starting a triage to check their buddy out. Turns out they were two doctors and an EMT. Once their buddy was checked out and verified he would be fine, the 'Chux reverted to barbarian, took out their clubs, and started beating the "Bad Rock" that hurt their friend.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

One of them was bitching on my YouTube channel about the marshals' (and admittedly some of my) banter about them in the background audio, but the comment was deleted almost immediately. Too bad for her the content of comments is e-mailed to me as soon as it's posted and she can't delete that. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

What was she bitching about?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Unattributed since she saw fit to delete wrote:Great videos, but you may want to remember even Tuchux have the internet. It's nice to be able to see the fights, but could do without all the derogatory comments you seem to think are cute.
They go out of their way to cultivate the image that earns them that, so you'd think they wouldn't be surprised. *Shrug*
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Now I'm curious what those comments were. :razz:
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, please, I want to hear what you guys were saying as well.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The comment was on that one, so presumably something somewhere in there. The signal flag heralds were Eastern and pretty annoyed about them switching sides every other day despite nominally declaring for the East this year, so there was a pretty constant stream of invective. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

That's Bullshit. They are allowed to do that, hell, everyone does that to keep the sides even. No wonder the Tuchux woman was upset.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Keeping the sides even didn't become any concern of the East's until over half the war points were already secured. Aethelmearc came over for the rapier bridge battle on Thursday, well after the war was already effectively over. Trimaris' king made his own decision to switch for the second and third field battles on Sunday, but that still made it nowhere near even.

Which is fully within the rights of either side and completely as it should be. The problem with the Tuchux (in this regard, at any rate) is that they have a long history of switching tape basically at whim without notice to either kingdom; you never know until they tape their helmets and line up. They've actually gotten some pretty stern talking-to and it's become less prominent in recent years, but it'll be awhile before they shake the reputation.

Off-camera, a Midrealm territorial baroness who shall remain nameless reportedly greatly enjoyed spearing Tuchux in the heavy field battles (wherein they fought for the East for three and the Mid for two) and informing them, "You're dead, bitch," just to rub in the attitude toward women. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Happy New Year, everyone. :)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Crown Tournament combatant list for the Midrealm was just published. Apparently Duke Dag is trying for an eighth reign. I don't get it. :|
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

New lady? Isn't he the one that someone posted their reign list and does that sort of thing?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You'd think Dag would get tired of it by now. Hopefully no more "Dread King"

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

RogueIce wrote:New lady? Isn't he the one that someone posted their reign list and does that sort of thing?
Nope. If he wins, Anne-Marie will be Queen for the fourth time. He doesn't just put new ladies on the throne as something to do; he's been married three times and made a Duchess of each one.

Scuttlebutt is he sat out the first one he was eligible for after his sixth reign and realized he hated missing it, so now he's back at it again. He didn't do the Dread Lord thing in his seventh reign.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Midrealm Crown Tournament is over, obviously. Duke Dag wound up sitting out; something I don't know about changed between Friday and Sunday. The finals came down to Sir Cadogan Blaydes and Sir Gunnar Redboar, who are next-door neighbors, hilariously enough. Sir Cadogan is the new crown prince.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So... Should I be worried when Her Silvan Majesty of Æthelmearc wants my SCA name and home address?

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

LadyTevar wrote:So... Should I be worried when Her Silvan Majesty of Æthelmearc wants my SCA name and home address?
Depends on context. The last sovereigns of the Midrealm wanted mine so they could mail a thank you note for something I'd done. Confused the hell out of the postmaster. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote:Depends on context. The last sovereigns of the Midrealm wanted mine so they could mail a thank you note for something I'd done. Confused the hell out of the postmaster. :lol:
Yeah, it looks like that's the context. I just have NO CLUE what I did to deserve personal recognition from TRM.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

History made in the Midrealm last Saturday. :grin:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Trimaris did it back in the first week of April. :razz:

We even had a mini-peer meeting right in Court where the principal and two initial candidates voted in a fourth. :D

They haven't updated the Peerages part of the website yet, though. :(

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

They're not allowed to; the Order isn't actually open until May 1st. So technically speaking it wasn't really legit for them to start voting in other people yet, since they aren't elevated, but in practical terms I'm sure it won't matter. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote:They're not allowed to; the Order isn't actually open until May 1st. So technically speaking it wasn't really legit for them to start voting in other people yet, since they aren't elevated, but in practical terms I'm sure it won't matter. :wink:
They did say it wasn't official until May 1st, but it was Coronation so fuck it.

And if they weren't voted in they were "recommended to the Crown" like the first three. Or the "vote" will be postdated to May 1st, because what's medieval politics without a little corruption? ;)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Æthelmearc's nascent Order of Defense now has a "ancient and venerable" custom for Writs: The new honoree is gifted with a PIE.
This, of course, is an "Ancient and Venerable" custom, because it has happened at all FOUR Writs, or shortly afterwards.

I am just waiting for this Ancient and Venerable Custom to turn from gifting the pie, to shoving it into someone's face. :twisted:

BTW: I am not going to be able to make it to Æthelmearc's Celebration of Rapier this Friday, May 1st. It will not only be a day of rapier goodness, but our first Inductee, Mistress Dorinda, will be holding "vigil" -- accepting all challenges on the field, or challenges by contests of wits. It's a free event, camping provided, and the following day is Crown Tourney.