OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

Ted C wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:The sad part is I can do Celtic names pretty well... it's the Viking and Germanic I can't do LOL
Just pretend you've got a bad chest-cold. :twisted:
It does sound like a person choking, doesn't it? :twisted:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

LadyTevar wrote:
Ted C wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:The sad part is I can do Celtic names pretty well... it's the Viking and Germanic I can't do LOL
Just pretend you've got a bad chest-cold. :twisted:
It does sound like a person choking, doesn't it? :twisted:
Klaatu... verada... ni-halk-hoff-hack.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Actually, I did very well on ALL the names. It helps when you have someone spell them, then make your own phoenics guide. How else do you find out that Mugain Inghean Ui Bhraonain is "Mun Enyan E Brannon"?

Oh... and HerRoyalMajesty summoned me into Her Court to be inducted into the Order of the Keystone (lower level Kingdom Service Award for Æthelmearc) :mrgreen: I'm still bouncing over that. Unfortunately, due to the cold weather, Nitram wasn't there to see it :cry:

But the funniest part of the Event? Feast was aborted due to Snow. It was half-way done, but the new Baron and Baroness got worried about the bad weather and sent everyone home at 4P.
The good news is next week is the Baronial Holiday Party, and the feast can be stored that long without any harm :twisted:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The organizers of Christmas Tourney didn't even consider rapier in their plans. We had to commandeer the feast hall.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It's never official until you have the scroll :mrgreen:

If you can read it, they spelling my name wrong :lol:

And I can do Illumination! Ain't it Pretty?

If I'd known my hat and necklace were crocked, I'd have fixed them first :(

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

My sister decided to practice action photography, and what better place than fencing practice?

My favorite:

I'm on the left.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:My sister decided to practice action photography, and what better place than fencing practice?

I'm on the left.

Your swords, Darkwood Armory?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

No; Triplette. I don't have the money to blow on Darkwood's wares, though I spent an inordinate amount of time drooling over their blades at KWAR. This double clamshell design. The dagger (the one making the kill in the picture) is the matching dagger design. I sometimes think that was a mistake, as using a sword hilt on a dagger makes it ridiculously hilt-heavy, but on the other hand, it's the fastest blade I've ever held. Can't keep it in a frog to save my life, though; I need to make a sheath and weight the end.

Lord Mark (the man I'm landing a very rare kill on), on the other hand, is wielding Darkwood weapons. One of his swords costs only marginally less than all three of mine together.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Enjoy your 12th Night Celebrations!

The local one here will be the 10th

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

oooh, the day after my birthday.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ours is on the 18th; we're waiting for the university to open back up so we can have it somewhere other than somebody's house.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, I got back into armored combat today. My shield arm and I need to hit the gym; my left shoulder felt like it was going to fall off after five minutes. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:No; Triplette. I don't have the money to blow on Darkwood's wares, though I spent an inordinate amount of time drooling over their blades at KWAR. This double clamshell design. The dagger (the one making the kill in the picture) is the matching dagger design. I sometimes think that was a mistake, as using a sword hilt on a dagger makes it ridiculously hilt-heavy, but on the other hand, it's the fastest blade I've ever held. Can't keep it in a frog to save my life, though; I need to make a sheath and weight the end.

Lord Mark (the man I'm landing a very rare kill on), on the other hand, is wielding Darkwood weapons. One of his swords costs only marginally less than all three of mine together.
I own a triplette (italian grip) and a darkwood 3 ring swept hilt. I love my darkwood, I'd snuggle with it at night if my wife didn't think that was so odd (She's an armoured fighter and doesn't get how attached we are to our swords :) ). My daggers are all triplette but dagger is not my best form by any stretch so they see little use.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

An object lesson in clearing the opponent's blade all the way, instead of just away from your body and into your arm.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote: An object lesson in clearing the opponent's blade all the way, instead of just away from your body and into your arm.
I got thugged like that last year at Pennsic, from one of Lutter's (Midrealm king, forgot how to spell his name) royal guards no less. On my ribs. Hurt like a bitch.

Not the worst injury I've ever gotten through. Got my fingers stuck in the blade-catchers of an opponents dager. No breaks but it blew out the cuticles on my thumb and forefinger. Pulled my glove off and my hand was covered in blood :P
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Lutr.

And no, this was my fault; I didn't clear his blade quite far enough, and made a thrust at him right into his own stop thrust. Combined momentum is a bitch.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

Hey SCA folks, I'm in the market for a pair of durable gloves to use during sword & shield combat. I'm using my old fencing glove for my sword hand but my shield hand is getting rubbed raw something fierce (plus I'd like something a little more period-authentic looking :) ). I'd be grateful for suggestions on good suppliers.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

A quick plug here folks...

Blackstone Raids 18 is rapidly running out of cabin space. If you wish to PreRegister a cabin for your group, please contact us now. Also, starting Feb 15th, we will be accepting Pre-Registration for Site Fee and Feast online. There is a $2 charge for the credit/debit card service.

Blackstone Raid is April 23 to April 26, 2009, in the Barony of Blackstone Mountain, Æthelmearc. From what I understand, TRM of Midrealm -changed their Kingdom Law- just so they could finally attend Blackstone Raid instead of forcing everyone to chose between us and Coronation. At this time, TRM and TRH of the Mid, TRM of Atlantia, and possibly TRH of the East will be joining the King and Queen of Æthelmearc and heirs at this event.

Stickjocks? You wanna fight? We've enough battles to make you drop your stick and give up.
A Jugging Contest (as per the movie), Belted/Unbelted Tourney (TBA), Grand Field Melee, Town Battles, Bridge Battles, and three Torchlight Tourneys, one a Bearpit!

Fencers? How bout a bridge battle inside a 1800s covered bridge? Or insult tourney through the middle of Merchant's Row? Festhaus Battle! Grand Melee! All ran by Æthelmearc's own Don Valentine de Perequoy (aka Cubstride of the Kanawha).

Archers and Axe-throwers won't be forgotten, as there will always be a Marshall on the Line waiting for you. With hourly Royal Rounds, a Shot-Around-the-Lake (proposed), Kill-the-Lake-Dragon (proposed), and the return of the tricky Candlewick Shoot, archers should bring their best arrows and those they don't mind losing both!

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Grasscutter wrote:Hey SCA folks, I'm in the market for a pair of durable gloves to use during sword & shield combat. I'm using my old fencing glove for my sword hand but my shield hand is getting rubbed raw something fierce (plus I'd like something a little more period-authentic looking :) ). I'd be grateful for suggestions on good suppliers.
My friend uses some brown leather gloves with the fingers cut off. Seems to work fine for him. I suppose you could always try some welder's gloves. I don't think that's what he uses but those look like they'd work, too. And if the picture is anything to go by, they look pretty period to me.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

First rapier war practice of the season was last weekend. I ran myself ragged on melee drills. In a 4H barn. With dust being kicked up every which way from the wood chips on the floor.

They finally watered down the floor during the baronial court, and it was much better afterwards. And for the last melee before the royal court they decided to try a line with no commander against a smaller line with a commander... and put me in command. I failed utterly at effectively commanding, but my line was skilled enough to stay alive, until we got backed into the fence and I stepped around the side. We then proceeded to butcher the larger line, but the exercise was still a failure. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

This was just posted to my shire's e-mail list: Apparently there's been a proposal for a fourth peerage, to recognize non-rattan combat. I encourage any fencers and archers to weigh in on this; we've had essentially no avenue to the peerage for far too long.

http://www.sca.org/4peerage/
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The real question is should it be a separate Peerage, or a subset of the Laurel.

I like the idea of a separate Peerage, myself.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

LadyTevar wrote:The real question is should it be a separate Peerage, or a subset of the Laurel.

I like the idea of a separate Peerage, myself.
I'd go with seperate Peerage as well (for all that my opinion matters :razz: ). Laurel is viewed by some, at least those I know, as for "women and gay guys" or some variation thereof. That may change if they included that Master of Combat Arms within it. But then, maybe not.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

You can already get into the Laurel for fencing; it's just a hell of a lot of work, since you have to not just master fencing, but also the teachings of a period master and write a friggin' dissertation on it. Archers and siege engineers are even worse off, since their combat forms aren't generally considered an art the way the fencing masters' teachings were.

Whichever one it ends up being, it needs to happen. With absolutely no disrespect to the Order of the Pelican, I can think of no good reason why superb fencing and archery cannot earn a peerage while washing the dishes can. It's absurd.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote: Whichever one it ends up being, it needs to happen. With absolutely no disrespect to the Order of the Pelican, I can think of no good reason why superb fencing and archery cannot earn a peerage while washing the dishes can. It's absurd.
Thank you for saying that. I know Pelicans and they do a hell of a lot of work. But I also know many marshals of rapier who put in a hell of a lot of work on tourneys, dedicating time at pennsic, etc... Plus they fencers also dedicate time to training, teaching and working in an art form.

I'd favor a seperate peerage myself but if not there needs to be mroe fencing laurels.

Don't get me started on combat archery or siege though. I'll politely say I don't think they should have a peerage of their own since they fall under heavy list (armoured combat).