General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by Rogue 9 »

*Snort* Our royalty hasn't been handing out knighthoods of any sort. As for the knights going crazy about allowing fencing peerages, screw 'em. We train and fight just as hard. I should know; I've done heavy, and plan to do so again. And the Bronze Ring isn't a peerage, neither Laurel nor Chivalry.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:Just back from KWAR. Have about six warders in my debt right now for saving them from their own drunken stupidity/passed-out-in-the-hall-ness. :roll: Other than that, it was an absolute blast, and I learned a lot. And before I forget, hoobah to Lady Sibyl for her induction into the Order of the Bronze Ring! :grin:
I'm jealous! I was like >< close to going but I just couldn't justify the trip to Kentucky. Congrats to the Lady on her bronze ring!

Was at St. Anderws (Local event to my Barony) 2 weeks ago. And I'll be 100 minutes War at November end. Then I'll be at East Kingdom Kings & Queens Rapier Champ in February.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, gentlemen of the East and Mid, please mark on your April 2009 calendars for the first of Æthelmearc's grand melee events: BlackStone Raids.

It will be the last weekend in April at the large, wonderful Cedar Lakes Conference Center in Ripley WV. There will be torchlight tourneys for the Heavys, as well as a field battle, town battle, and bridge battle. For the fencers, there will be tourneys, grand melees, a fight in the covered bridge over the creek, and the Insult Battle held in Merchants Square.

Archers are not left out, with many fun and interesting shoots, including a woods walk around one the Cedar Lake's lakes (Last year there was a floating target in the lake!). Axe throwers are welcome to show their skills, and at night the fire pits lure many lovely dancers to the beat of the drums.

What more could you ask for?

Oh yeah! FOOD. Blackstone Mountain is renowned for great feasts and plenty of food to fill even the pickiest eater. If you don't wish to buy feast, there will be food merchants on-site this year.

Have I tempted you enough yet?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'll see if I can actually gather up the fighting company this time. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Winter is coming... How're you guys spending your Winter months?

I've bought vellum and paint and I'm going to start making scroll blanks.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

LadyTevar wrote:Winter is coming... How're you guys spending your Winter months?

I'm working on a couple of dance reconstructions, and I've got a pewter-casting project I'm trying to finish. I'll probably also be starting another batch of wine in the next week or so.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Wine... ooooooo Wish I lived closer.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

LadyTevar wrote:Winter is coming... How're you guys spending your Winter months?

Forging weapons and armor for the spring campaign season, of course! :D Just made my own fencing armor a week ago; goodbye loaner gear. :mrgreen:

The linen I got for it initially was apparently below average; usually two layers passes the punch test, but the bolt I bought failed. :banghead: Fortunately, a simple layer of dollar a yard muslin underneath fixed it up.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I did a scroll-blank today, from blank paper to finished product in about 2hrs. *dances* I'm so happy!

When I figure out how to use the scanner on my printer, I'll post a picture of it.

JCady
Padawan Learner

Post by JCady »

SCA is on my list of "Things To Do When I Have Time And Money". Right now. . . I've got something on the order of fifty to sixty thousand dollars worth of imminent-future psychology and surgery costs hanging over my life, and -- yay! -- medical insurance categorically excludes gender identity treatment as "cosmetic".
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I was going to say that Tev and I don't have money, and we still go play some too. but yeah, that is rather bad...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I understand that, JCady. I'm thankful and lucky I have insurance for all of Nitram's ills. It's rough and expensive for any medical treatment, especially one meant to make you 'right'.

Still, Bear's right, there's a lot of SCA people who will do barter, trading a favor for a favor. I worked for a Merchant for a full day once, and got to pick my payment out of his wares. Many Scadians will pay for a person's site fee in exchange for something as simple (?) as babysitting their kids for them. It depends on the group you're with, really.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Pictures from the Wickerman Festival at the beginning of this month. These are of the actual burning of the Wicker Man. No, we're not burning a cross despite appearances; the wicker man was holding a greatsword point down. :P

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I never realized how much a Wicker Man-Burning - however many minutes in - looks unfortunately like a Cross-Burning.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

That's not very far in at all. They used a large quantity of kerosene.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

That doesn't sound entirely authentic :D
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
The Yosemite Bear

ok we'll use greek fire next time.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It'd been raining. We needed something to start it ;)

The Yosemite Bear

the pyro in me says we should still mix up some Naphatha for future events.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, I'm sure they'll consider it next year. :razz:

Anyway, as you can see in one of the pictures above, I was filming. The video of the burning is uploading to YouTube now.

Edit: Here's the video. It's not processed as of this posting, but the link will lead to it in a few minutes.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Other than the cackle... that does NOT sound like me. :D

Ok, it's me. And the deep voice is Rogue. Nitram couldn't make it :(

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok... I'm nervous as hell.

Baronial Investiture is this weekend, and I, as (Baronial) Onyx Herald, must help run TWO courts (outgoing and incoming). Both Courts will have TRM present, as well as the Sycamore Herald (my boss). Not only must I be able to run the Baronial Court and get the names I'm calling right, I have to read the scrolls and THIS TIME remember to say who did the illumination and calligraphy.

Oh, yeah... a couple of my own scrolls I limned the past couple weeks are going to be calligraphed for awards.

I'm gonna fuck up... I just know it... :oops: :(

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

LadyTevar wrote:Ok... I'm nervous as hell.

Baronial Investiture is this weekend, and I, as (Baronial) Onyx Herald, must help run TWO courts (outgoing and incoming). Both Courts will have TRM present, as well as the Sycamore Herald (my boss). Not only must I be able to run the Baronial Court and get the names I'm calling right, I have to read the scrolls and THIS TIME remember to say who did the illumination and calligraphy.

Oh, yeah... a couple of my own scrolls I limned the past couple weeks are going to be calligraphed for awards.

I'm gonna fuck up... I just know it... :oops: :(
So? Every herald goofs up something in every court. To many of us have names for which the spelling and pronunciation have no causal relationship. So what if you pronounce "Ghiollapaedrhuig" as something other than "Kilpatrick"; it's not like many of us could get it right. The audience gets a giggle, and court moves on. Serves us right for having pretentious names.
--Runolfr Orthlokarr Ulfsson
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The sad part is I can do Celtic names pretty well... it's the Viking and Germanic I can't do LOL

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

LadyTevar wrote:The sad part is I can do Celtic names pretty well... it's the Viking and Germanic I can't do LOL
Just pretend you've got a bad chest-cold. :twisted: