General SCA Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by Rogue 9 »

I have no idea what triggered the proposed change. The e-mail does not say, beyond "discussions with the Society Chirurgeon and our legal advisors." I really don't see how it's a problem for a branch to own one, even though I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say the vast majority don't.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

No shit, most every group except those with a lot of doctors amoung them, won't have them. Hence the term Trained in their use. It's like any other piece of safety kit that you voluntarilly bring. Your responsible, not the Barony, or SCA national. So if yours doesn't work, or if the guy who has a heart attack at a Faire dies, the family can't sue SCA National.

Legally they either have to provide one for everyone, or they have to disavow their use, getting sued by the family of some one who dies at a feast is probably a legal nightmare prospect.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

SCA Today
SCAtoday.net to acquire Pennsic Independent
Submitted by Justin on Wed, 2009/04/01 - 12:12.

(New York: 2009-04-01) Furthering the trend toward media consolidation, SCAtoday.net has agreed to acquire its financially-troubled rival, the Pennsic Independent, in a cash and stock swap valued at US$300K.

The merger, which combines two of the most powerful publications in the Known World to create one vast media conglomerate, must still pass regulatory approval by the U.S. government's Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Sources at SCAtoday.net say no problems are expected. "Anyone who's been watching Wall Street for the past few years knows the SEC is toothless," stated one SCAtoday.net official, who then added, "and if Rush Limbaugh is still on the air, we know the FCC doesn't care about what happens in the mass media." An executive at the Pennsic Independent vehemently denies that the PI plans to enlist large numbers of SCA fighters to "lobby" for fast-track approval of the merger. "It's true we [the SCA] are the world's largest standing private army," said Maestra Nicolaa de Bracton of the PI, "but we would never even think of exerting military force on a sovereign government. It just happens that we had a demo already scheduled in front of the U.S. Treasury building. I'll admit that 750 fighters is an unusually high turnout for a demo."

Sources close to the two publications have speculated for weeks about a buyout, which finally was confirmed by spokespeople at both corporate headquarters today. According to unnamed sources, negotiations had stalled over the fair market value of certain intellectual property at the Pennsic Independent, specifically the recipe for a beverage known as "Chocolate Chaucers." Eventually, the Chocolate Chaucers recipe was removed from the negotiations entirely, and will be spun off as a separate corporate brand owned by Despotissa Heirusalem Crystoma, the former Publisher of the Pennsic Independent. Apparently, the breakthrough happened when Maistor Justinos Tekton, Publisher of SCAtoday.net, acquired a sample of Chocolate Chaucers and tasted it. He is said to have exclaimed, "Pthugh! You did that to perfectly good Coopers Crack?!" Sources say the "Coopers Crack" brand refers to a now-discontinued variety of chocolate milk available only from a small farm near Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania. Collectors have been known to pay up to US$800 for a liter of the substance, which is said to be an aphrodisiac.

Although some analysts find good synergy between the two organizations, others are skeptical. One Midrealm stock analyst was doubtful of the profitability of the merged organization, saying, "Well, it's true that the PI never made huge profits. But the other one -- what was it called? SCA something dot net? -- is a virtual unknown, and has never made a dime. And neither one of these companies is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Puh-leez!"

The combined publication's name is still being negotiated. Rumors suggest that SCAindependentlyToday.net and PennsicToday are on the short list. Executives have confirmed that the merger will result in layoffs and facilities consolidation, and that there will be a reshuffling of executive roles. Heirusalem Crystoma will remain in charge of the PI, but her title will be "Vice President -- Pennsic Division". Nicolaa de Bracton will transfer to the southwestern United States to become "Vice President -- Estrella Division". Stephen Calvert deGrey will become "Assistant Vice President -- Operations". Milica of Varna, formerly the Editor-In-Chief of SCAtoday.net, will become "Vice President -- Marketing". An outsider, Ursula the Widow, has been hired to replace Milica as Editor-In-Chief of the combined publication. As usual with mergers and acquisitions, a so-called "ax man" (in this case, a woman) has been hired to oversee the downsizing and layoffs. Baroness Catriona nicHugh McLaey, a consultant from the Middle Kingdom, has been retained by Publisher Justinos Tekton, who says he has directed her to be ruthless in her cost-saving efforts. Tekton reportedly told McLaey to, "chop, chop, chop" the staffing levels. Furthermore, it has been reported that the luxurious and mobile Pennsic Independent corporate headquarters trailer, built during the last economic boom, will be downsized to a backpacker's dome tent as a further cost-saving measure.

In late breaking news, the acquisition cost of US$300K reported at the beginning of this article has, during the time it took to type this, dropped to US$15K due to the spiraling economy.
Prank, obviously, but I would totally turn out for a demo in front of the U.S. Treasury. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

We were at a demo and the wall of the nearby chapel made a good background, so...

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

I made this month's mortgage payment last week, and my first thought was "If I buy the economy Darkwood Armory rapier, I should have enough money left over to survive the next two weeks." Dear God I am a sucker.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

*sigh*

Despite the notion of an alter ego, we still have to keep one foot firmly grounded in reality. This is what makes a group full of military personnel so much fun: the obnoxious E-4 with no social skills and a high opinion of herself, who can't seem to grasp that a bunch of officers and senior NCOs are still going to be such, even if they take on a pseudonym and some garb, and that their are still limits to our interaction with her.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Darkwood's nice, but Triplette blades work just fine, and they're a lot cheaper. If you're on a tight budget, I have to recommend against Darkwood, as much as I drool over their wares whenever they've got their merchant tent set up at an event.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

"Surviving the next two weeks" means I have ~$400 in the bank. I'm not exactly hurting for cash right now.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Hmmmm. Well their "economy" models are still over $250 a pop, with the good shit starting at $400 and up. One of my instructor's Darkwood swords costs more than my entire (Triplette) arsenal put together. They're excellent swords, but I personally can't justify the cost in light of my budget; if you can, more power to you and have fun.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Tevar, my shire and I won't be coming to Blackstone Raids due to an event conflict, but Wednesday Company from the neighboring shire, good friends and regular practice partners of mine, will put in an appearance. Tell 'em Gilchrist said hi for me, will you? :grin:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Pollux
Padawan Learner

Post by Pollux »

Rogue's dashing photo
Holy. Shit.

You and I look eerily similar. Eerily.
"Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. This is roughly 4,000 times more lakes than people."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote:Tevar, my shire and I won't be coming to Blackstone Raids due to an event conflict, but Wednesday Company from the neighboring shire, good friends and regular practice partners of mine, will put in an appearance. Tell 'em Gilchrist said hi for me, will you? :grin:
I'll try to remember.

Unfortunately, due to the hospital trip, I won't be able to get OnSite until after 3p that Friday. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:Darkwood's nice, but Triplette blades work just fine, and they're a lot cheaper. If you're on a tight budget, I have to recommend against Darkwood, as much as I drool over their wares whenever they've got their merchant tent set up at an event.
He's right. While I down own a Darkwood blade I recommend Triplette in general. Their blades are decent, their furniture is sturdy, and the guys who run the place are fencers themselves in the SCA and make highly functional weapons.

Now if you have the money... Darkwood does make excellent weapons. Their blades are excedingly well balanced, and their furniture matches the blade quality. But as noted they are very pricey. I've been drooling over a Schiavonne sidesword of theirs, but it'll run me 800-1000 dollars. And I would need to sell a kidney before my wife lets me buy it :)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

3 Days until Blackstone Raids, where I get to be Herald In Charge.

Wish me luck... I won't get on-site til Friday :(

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

One word of caution about some Triplette models. A few of their rapier hilts have the blade mount into the hilt right at the point where the tang is welded to the blade; this creates a weak point that the blade will eventually bend and fail around. It takes a long time to happen, though.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

This may be in the wrong thread, but I'm interested in taking lessons in Western/European martial arts and was wondering if anyone can recommend a group/organization that does this sort of thing. I participated in some informal lessons taught by a friend of mine years back, but I now live far away from there and don't have contact with him. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

There are people in the SCA who can teach that, but the combat as done in the Society isn't a direct reproduction, because of course that would be highly dangerous. In the Society people who can teach historical fighting forms are rarer than those who can teach SCA-standard mock combat, which still teaches a lot of skills relevant to Western martial arts, but is not a viable non-sport martial art in itself. If you were in the Chicago area I could introduce you to a fencing master who is also a master of the real-deal German Renaissance era wrestling and sword forms, but I'm pretty sure you're not. I could scan and e-mail you a copy of his class notes from the classes he teaches on it, but that's no substitute for having an instructor.

If you can track down these fellows then they're probably a better bet, but ARMA is not nearly as widespread as the SCA. Barring that, going into the Society and asking if there's anyone who can teach you is likely your best option.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

So Lady T, apart from the Midrealm kicking Æthelmearc's fencers all over the melee field ( :twisted: ), how did Blackstone Raids go?

Not So Grand III lived up to its name. I wish I'd come out your way instead. :(
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We had 327 combatants this week end...
So sayeth the Baronial MOL.

Blackstone Raids KICKED ASS! There was too much to do, so much fun had by everyone!
Hell, the Dark Horde had a Wedding! They brought Mead by the CASE, in full-sized wine bottles. I got soooo fuckin' drunk off that... :roll:

I heard the Mid fencers beat us down and kicked us while we were down, but I don't know who won the Heavy Tourney.

Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Rogue 9 wrote:One word of caution about some Triplette models. A few of their rapier hilts have the blade mount into the hilt right at the point where the tang is welded to the blade; this creates a weak point that the blade will eventually bend and fail around. It takes a long time to happen, though.
It depends on use. I have a friend who "Parries hard". We've told him this repeatedly. He'd had a blade for a year and he parried my sword too hard and it snapped at the tang where the tang went into the guard.
Mobiboros
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobiboros »

Just pre-reg'ed for Pennsic. Me, wife and daughter. Anyone else going to War this year?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*looks over to Nitram, who's having one of his bad days*
*looks to Mobiboros* Right. Put the Autistic with the sick liver inside a tent with no AC, on the North 40, with 10,000 people he's never met before all around. :roll:

I've been to 3 Pennsics, seeing Opening Court, Closing Court, and various courts in between. I've watch the fights, shopped the shops, and made the parties. I've found out why the Classic Swimming hole makes all men equal (except Baron Sir Tristan Sexwulf). I've stood in line for cold showers and for port-a-castles. I've babysat merchant booth and kids, and I've stood outside in the sun calling all to the "Final Day Sale" dressed in my skimpiest mid-eastern (back when I was only a size 8).

I think I can skip Pennsic again this year :twisted:

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mobiboros wrote:Just pre-reg'ed for Pennsic. Me, wife and daughter. Anyone else going to War this year?
"Maybe next year..."
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I might. Still working on that. It's certainly within my ability; the problem is that I may need the money later.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ayrix
Youngling

Post by Ayrix »

hey guys, I've finally gotten into SCA heavy combat after watching it for a while, and I've been looking around for cheapish armor. I found Pit Bull armor, seems pretty decent but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on their stuff. That, or if anyone knows where I could get some decent entry level gear.